Retirement Extension Without Visa?

Approaching my 50th b-day in a few months, American living in Thailand, and still seem to be slightly confused about the necessities and numbers involving a Non O 1 year based on retirement. Can someone correct me if I am wrong and fill in the blanks?

A recent visit to immigration seemed to tell me that when I come back into the country after having turned 50, I wouldn't need a visa upon entering to go through the hoops. If I enter on a 30 day stamp, I believe that if I go to Immigration within 15 days of arrival, I can convert that stamp to a Non O for purposes of retirement, providing I produce the 65,000/800,000 proof of funds, the correct passport copies, a photo, and 2000 baht. Thus, I arrive, get a Consular Statement from the US Embassy on the income, and will then have a non O.

What I do not know is what kind of Non O this is and how long it is good for? Is it a single entry 90 day non O or a one year multiple? And during this time, do I then need to go to Immigration and reapply for an extension of it based on retirement, completing the steps I have already completed one more time? If it is a single non O they have given me, if given the 1 year extension do I need to leave after 3 months (and then would need another visa to re-enter, as opposed to a multiple entry)?

One question about money. If my Consulate letter shows a pension of 55-60,000 baht, this is just slightly below the requirement, meaning the rest of the cash has to be in a Thai bank. For that 5-10,000, when does it have to arrive in order to "season," and do there have to be two dates for seasoning, meaning for the first change from an entry stamp to a Non O, and then for the subsequent application for extension of the O based on retirement?

Thanks.

It would be easier to just obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to coming but if you want to convert that can be done. You first convert at 2k and then extend for 1.9k and if using embassy letter or combination or money seasoned it might be allowed to do both at one time but if not you will have to obtain a second set of financial documents for the later extension of stay. Normally combination money does not have to meet the seasoning requirement.

The visa entry will be 90 day single and from that you extend your stay one year at a time from then on.

It would be easier to just obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to coming but if you want to convert that can be done. You first convert at 2k and then extend for 1.9k and if using embassy letter or combination or money seasoned it might be allowed to do both at one time but if not you will have to obtain a second set of financial documents for the later extension of stay. Normally combination money does not have to meet the seasoning requirement.

The visa entry will be 90 day single and from that you extend your stay one year at a time from then on.

thanks....unfortunately, I will be entering Thailand from somewhere where it might not be possible to obtain a visa in advance (travels in Morocco, most N. African countries Thai embassies require you to be a resident in those countries in order to issue visas). Once Immigration gives a single entry Non O, how long do I have to get the 1 year extension? Can it be done in the last week of that 30 days?

It will either be done at the same time or during the last 30 days of stay. It used to be done at same time if financials were OK but several recent reports indicate people were told to return after 60 days so not sure if there is a standard policy.

I don't think there is a standard policy of whether Immigration will let you do the 12-month retirement extension at the same time you convert 30-day visa exempt status into a 90-day O visa.

Here in Chiang Mai, in my experience, they tell people to return 60 days after obtaining their O visa and present new financial documentation to obtain a 12-month retirement extension.

However, I have seen the passports of people who did the same thing in Chiang Mai, only they used the assistance of a paid, professional visa agent. They were able to obtain a 12-month retirement extension at the same time they converted visa exempt status to a 90-day O visa. That retirement extension expired 15 months after the date of granting the O visa. In effect, they were able to execute a retirement extension "early" (very, very early!) I guess that's one advantage of paying a visa agent to do some of the "leg work" for you. Apparently they have the contacts at Immigration to make life a little easier for retirees.

The rest of us poor sots just have to invest some more of our own time to save the cost of a visa agent.

Edited by NancyL

Today at Cheng Wattna I received my non-immigrant "O" 90 day visa after converting from the 30-day waiver entry stamp. I asked whether I could get my one-year retirement extension early and was told that I would have to wait for 60 days. I must return to Tokyo on March 17 and don't think that I will be able to return to Thailand before my 90 visa expires on May 14. Other posters have mentioned that some people have been able to get their one-year retirement extensions either at the same time that they received their 90-day "O" visa or very soon afterward. I wonder if there is any appeal process or whether, if I go to Cheng Wattana with all of the correct paperwork for the retirement extension, the officer I see may be willing to grant the extension before the sixty days have passed if I explain my special circumstances. NancyL from Chiang Mai mentioned that retaining a paid professional agent seemed to do the trick for some appliers and I could do that. I would appreciate any advice.