Buying Car In Bkk & Ship To Another Country For Personal Use

petebkk2010

Hi,

First of all, I have no idea about buying cars or shipping, etc... I just wanna help my Dad (so, please bear with me)

I am planning to buy a car for my Dad and he is living in Yangon, Myanmar/Burma.

I would like to know whether it is possible that I can buy a car in Thailand without license or TAX. I will not be using it in Thailand AT ALL. I just wanna choose the model that I like, pay it in cash and want them to ship to Yangon directly. I know that my dad will have to pay 100% TAX in there and need a permit for that.

My questions are:

How much TAX do you normally have to pay if you want to buy a car in Thailand?

Can I buy a car without any TAX or license directly from any dealer or showroom? (I'd like to buy a new one but secondhand car is an option if the price is too cheap and good model)

If I can, will they ship it for me or do I have to arrange it myself? (I don't know anything about shipping though)

Any other suggestions that I need to know?

I haven't really decide which brand or model I will buy but that's depend on which brand or model is easier for me to get the job done. I'm thinking of using around 500,000 baht without TAX. So any suggestion? My dad will use it just for daily transportation and nothing heavy but for family type. Standard control and facility build inside car is good enough.

Thank you so much in advanced for your kind help and I look forward to some constructive suggestions.

Regards,

Pete

I think you're approaching this from the wrong side of the border - IMHO, your best bet would be finding an importer on the Myanmar side who will take all responsibility to get your car across and legal. Even if you do manage to buy a car in TH tax-free, who knows what problems you're *really* going to face getting it into Myanmar?

As for buying from a regular dealer, that's not going to happen. Companies must have an export license in order to sell tax-free, and given the low calling for something lik this at a regular dealership, it's highly unlikely you'll find one who's gone through the paperwork and expense of it.

As for buying used, that doesn't seem to make any sense, as there's no way out of all the excise tax that was originally paid for the car, and is still factored into the price.. (Excise tax is the big one in TH).

If you're confident you get get it all sorted out at the border without any help, your best bet will be to contact one of the (few) Thai companies that specialize in vehicle exports - Soni Motors is the first one that comes to mind..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thank you for your answer MoonRiverOasis

Actually, what I was hoping for is not crossing through the border but by shipping to the port of Yangon.

Is there any companies that are able do it?

For example, I'm hoping to go to a company like Toyota or Honda and pay the cash for the car without tax, as I am not going to use it in TH. After that they just ship the car to port of Yangon and my Dad over there will be waiting to collect it with a permit to pass through the Customs and then pay the 100% tax for license in Myanmar.

I'm sorry if my question is so novice. I understand it could be more complicated than that but basically that's what I want.

Thank you.

Thank you for your answer MoonRiverOasis

Actually, what I was hoping for is not crossing through the border but by shipping to the port of Yangon.

Is there any companies that are able do it?

For example, I'm hoping to go to a company like Toyota or Honda and pay the cash for the car without tax, as I am not going to use it in TH. After that they just ship the car to port of Yangon and my Dad over there will be waiting to collect it with a permit to pass through the Customs and then pay the 100% tax for license in Myanmar.

I'm sorry if my question is so novice. I understand it could be more complicated than that but basically that's what I want.

Thank you.

Manufacturer's dont' sell direct like that - you'll need to contact an exporter like Soni Motors as mentioned previously. Google will find them :)

to use it in Myanmar you might want a LHD. Siammotorsbkk.com can source one made in TH intended for Laos

Yeah personally I'd even consider buying one from the states and having it shipped over, it may cost less given the duty and tax rate..

• Like 1

to use it in Myanmar you might want a LHD. Siammotorsbkk.com can source one made in TH intended for Laos

Yeah personally I'd even consider buying one from the states and having it shipped over, it may cost less given the duty and tax rate..

or the presently largest LHD market, China

Thank you for all the replies. This is really great to see all the suggestions.

Google 'SJS Thailand'

They do it all the time.

I check their NGo's/Embassies and they said "Our Tokyo and Bangkok branches provide unique tax-free importation, shipment and customs clearance services."

Sounds like what I want but "This service only available to Embassies, NGO's, EU & tax exempt institutions" is what I worry. But I guess it should be OK because the goverment gives a permit to import 1 car so maybe that could apply also. I will try to call and ask them directly.

to use it in Myanmar you might want a LHD. Siammotorsbkk can source one made in TH intended for Laos

Can they do the same like SJS, tax-free?

It won't be easy for me, since I'm in Thailand. But eventhough if I can ask someone over there to buy it for me, I think it will be too hard to transfer money and also costly for exchange.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Thank you for all the replies. This is really great to see all the suggestions.

Google 'SJS Thailand'

They do it all the time.

I check their NGo's/Embassies and they said "Our Tokyo and Bangkok branches provide unique tax-free importation, shipment and customs clearance services."

Sounds like what I want but "This service only available to Embassies, NGO's, EU & tax exempt institutions" is what I worry. But I guess it should be OK because the goverment gives a permit to import 1 car so maybe that could apply also. I will try to call and ask them directly.

to use it in Myanmar you might want a LHD. Siammotorsbkk can source one made in TH intended for Laos

Can they do the same like SJS, tax-free?

It won't be easy for me, since I'm in Thailand. But eventhough if I can ask someone over there to buy it for me, I think it will be too hard to transfer money and also costly for exchange.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Well if you're buying new not so difficult can probably even be done online, but as another suggestion Kata had another option of buying in China though the taxes there are similar to Thailand in the ridiculous zone and purchase process there is quite tedious..

This is probably the best bet. Cars are cheap. shipping maybe 100k baht?

less than 60k baht in closed 30 foot container to BKK

Not sure if shipping to Myanmar is allowed by UN, anyone updated?

less than 60k baht in closed 30 foot container to BKK

Not sure if shipping to Myanmar is allowed by UN, anyone updated?

Yes that may be a problem but will be no matter where it comes from if it's a UN sanction, so ship to Laos or Cambodia and drive it or have it driven over, because either way he is not going to be able to have it shipped in if that's the case be it Thailand or otherwise..

Edited by WarpSpeed