Had Yai-Songkhla Road: Driver Falls Asleep At Wheel, 6 Dead

webfact

Driver Falls Asleep at Wheel, 6 Dead

SONGKHLA: -- Six people died in a tragic car accident when the driver of a white Honda Civic crashed into a tree on the new Had Yai-Songkhla Road at 5 AM this morning. The police the driver fell asleep at the wheel.

The police were notified of a car crash on the new Had Yai-Songkhla Road. All of the six passengers were found dead at the crash site. The vehicle, a Series 3 Honda Civic with a Chiang Mai number plate, was crushed and had fallen into the small canal on the median strip of the road. The front of the car suffered a major structural damage. The crash had killed the driver and the front seat passengers on the spot.

The 4 backseat passengers were also found dead at the scene of the accident. Their bodies were crushed to the seats, making it extremely difficult for the authorities to retrieve the bodies of the crash victims. The police were able to identified the victims as;

Thanakarn Kornkan, 26 years old

Patarapa Deecharoendee, 25 year-old student at Songkhla Rajabhat Univ

Aksorn Rittichu, 27 years old

Watcharin Rattanawuth, 28 years old

Watchara Charoonrath, 22 years old

Sompong Laokamnert, 24 years old

Autopsies will be carried out on all of the six victims at Songkhla Nakarin Hospital.

According to the police's preliminary investigation, all of the victims are from Songkhla. The six were believed to be on their way back to from a night out in Had Yai. The investigators suspect the drive had fallen asleep at the wheel and crashed into a tree on the median strip of the Had Yai-Songkhla Road. The impact of the crash then caused the car to fall into the small canal in the middle of the median strip.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-22

footer_n.gif

Not sad at all but totally idiotic, thank goodness no innocent bystanders were injured or killed.

Earlier news reports claim that all 6 had been drinking in a Hat Yai night club...the amount of speed required to do that damage to a car is horrendous

• Like 2

Not sad at all but totally idiotic, thank goodness no innocent bystanders were injured or killed.

Earlier news reports claim that all 6 had been drinking in a Hat Yai night club...the amount of speed required to do that damage to a car is horrendous

Agree...You need to be doing a mighty good clip to crush a car that bad...
  • Like 1

It's very sad. How do you know that they were drunk? Did you ever drink and drive in your life? I think it's a shame to write such a post, as you did. I feel very sorry for their families and friends. jap.gif

• Like 2

It's very sad. How do you know that they were drunk? Did you ever drink and drive in your life? I think it's a shame to write such a post, as you did. I feel very sorry for their families and friends. jap.gif

Agreed Sirchai, a terribly sad story where 6 young people lost their lives so early. With any luck their families aren't members of our forum.

• Like 2

Personally Writing as a guy with over 50 years driving experience ,and after living here since Nov 03 I have yet to travel with a Thai who was driving who could pass a British driving test stone cold sober, least of all when "off his Crust", this is in no way meant as an insult to Thai Drivers rather just a truthful observation from what I have seen thus far.
  • Like 2

First of all ... sad that this incident has taken 6 lives.

BUT, how can the police confirm that the driver was asleep?

With everyone involved in the accident unable to supply evidence how can they reach this conclusion?

Drunk ... maybe

Drugs ... maybe

Asleep ... maybe

A post mortem will determine the first two ... but to confirm 100% that the driver was asleep ... maybe it's ben lost in the translation.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

same same,.....sooo looking forward to reading tommorows similar story !!,.......the only way i can see any positive reaction concerning the "death roads" of thailand will be the day a senior politician looses a few family members and realises the devestation that could be so easily avoided with just a few simple measures like implimenting and upholding traffic laws and insisting on a meaningful driving test , the over riding reason it will never happen is also what prevents thailand being respected on a global scale .........CORRUPTION !, sad

If you would have told me fifty years ago when I came to Thailand that Thailand would turnout 50-year down the road like this I would not have believed you. But as an acquaintance a Dr. Specializing in Human Behavior with 25-year working with Thai children and their parents said when she packed up a year ago and went back to her home country: “THAIS WILL BE THAIS” and don’t forget it, improvements are not in the coming with people that have the attitude that they are the best and smartest in the world as Thais will tell you them self. How can you feel sorry when they are overtaken by adversities when the adversities are all of their own making. No need to list all the adversities, this Forum overflows with them if it didn’t have a cutoff level.

Yes, no doubt they were not wearing seat belts. Not that it would have made a difference at 150KPH. They were probably drunk, and it is easier for the authorities to just say they fell asleep. The authorities are used to making things up. That is their MO. The bar is set so low for the driving tests here, and they teach nothing in the way of driving etiquette. When I am on the highways here I am astounded at the number and frequency of goombah moves that other drivers make. Very little concern for their own safety, and the safety others. The only surprise here is that more people are not killed on the highway.

With everyone involved in the accident unable to supply evidence how can they reach this conclusion?

Drunk ... maybe

Drugs ... maybe

Asleep ... maybe

A post mortem will determine the first two ... but to confirm 100% that the driver was asleep ... maybe it's ben lost in the translation.

If the driver was awake, there would probably be brake marks of some kind on the road or wherever before it hit the tree.

Having fallen asleep myself behind the wheel here in Thailand, i know there weren't any brake marks before i hit the electric pole.

Drunk ... maybe

Drugs ... maybe

Asleep ... maybe

If the driver was awake, there would probably be brake marks of some kind on the road or wherever before it hit the tree.

Having fallen asleep myself behind the wheel here in Thailand, i know there weren't any brake marks before i hit the electric pole.

Sorry with AB (Antilock Brakes) there are no brakes markes because the wheels do not lock up.

Drunk ... maybe

Drugs ... maybe

Asleep ... maybe

Sorry with AB (Antilock Brakes) there are no brakes markes because the wheels do not lock up.

Correct. It is called ABS, though. Most modern cars have this today.

Nobody among us knows exactly what happened. So why are some people so judge-mental towards Thai people? They are Buddhist and as such, many of them are living by the what-will-be-will-be principle. There is a meaning with everything. In life - and in death. Its not the end to them. So why should their behavior ever suddenly change? It has nothing to do with corruption.

Another thing is that - in general - young people - whether it be in my country, in Thailand - well, probably anywhere in the World - believe they are immortal and as such, they are "allowed" to drive as if the rules of speed (and speed sometimes combined with drinking) don't apply to them. We loose many young people in my country, in England, US, everywhere.. on that account every week! Despite our good driving moral! And despite our good driving courses! So why should we judge Thai people for this reason when it is the same SHIT home in our own backyard?!?!

This is sad, regardless. Calling their death a bonus is low, it's stupid and it is cold.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Drunk ... maybe

Drugs ... maybe

Asleep ... maybe

Nobody among us knows exactly what happened. So why are some people so judge-mental towards Thai people? They are Buddhist and as such, many of them are living by the what-will-be-will-be principle. There is a meaning with everything. In life - and in death. Its not the end to them. So why should their behavior ever suddenly change? It has nothing to do with corruption.

Another thing is that - in general - young people - whether it be in my country, in Thailand - well, probably anywhere in the World - believe they are immortal and as such, they are "allowed" to drive as if the rules of speed (and speed sometimes combined with drinking) don't apply to them. We loose many young people in my country, in England, US, everywhere.. on that account every week! Despite our good driving moral! And despite our good driving courses! So why should we judge Thai people for this reason when it is the same SHIT home in our own backyard?!?!

This is sad, regardless. Calling their death a bonus is low, it's stupid and it is cold.

I don't think in the U.K there are quite as many deaths on the roads as here in Thailand. There was that major pile up on the M5 last year and it was national news. This sort of thing occurs in thailand quite frequently and gets a mention in the local papers once, then it's forgotten !!! It's not the same here....

Drunk ... maybe

Drugs ... maybe

Asleep ... maybe

You are talking utter nonsense,you make my blood boil,You can not compare uk or us to thai drivers.I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THAIS but they are some of the worst drivers in the world and very impatient.Do they have a speed limit here if so no one is doing it.Most thais pay for there driving license so they can pass.So why cant we judge them you silly man.These people would have been drinking as they were out in a nightclub thats why this accident happened and yes a terrible waste of life.Im just gald they didnt hurt anyone else.You know just because your a farang dosent mean you can critize thais.