Thailand'S Top Racers To Make Sparks Fly In 2012

newf

The track days is enormous fun. I suggest all to try it.

It's a great way to improve your riding skills and learn more about your bike capabilities.

If I can work out how to keep cost down on tyres, fuel, transport and bike maintenance then I would happily take up the addiction again. smile.png

Its definitly not a cheap hobby and the faster u get the quicker the tires wear out.

I'll still be racing my cbr1000 but will just have help from team mechanics plus some free stuff from sponsors. Not really sure of all the benefits yet but thought I'd give it a try.

I'm still getting the cbr250 up to race spec, but if I can get the lap times down to 1:13 I'll give a go.

Access to the team's tyre rack would be good :)

I see the tops of some Ohlins forks in the vid above... which fork series are they - R&T, Superbike? it makes a huge difference having top notch suspension, eh? I was amazed at the diff it made on my Ducati 999 back in Cali, sadly now sold violin.gif

o ya, which bikes are winning in SB3 - Ninja 650s? Grey market 600 inline fours?

Pretty sure the SB series is limited to superbikes. I know in the old days they allowed 600cc inline 4's to race, but I'm pretty sure they can't anymore, which is a bit silly since R6, CBR600RR and Gixxer 600 are all nearly as fast as liter bikes at BIRA, but TiT, it is what it is...

I see the tops of some Ohlins forks in the vid above... which fork series are they - R&T, Superbike? it makes a huge difference having top notch suspension, eh? I was amazed at the diff it made on my Ducati 999 back in Cali, sadly now sold violin.gif

Yep, Ohlins R&T up front and TTX rear shock. The front are an old set from 04-05 CBR1000rr thats why you see the extra fork above the triple to get the correct ride height for the 08 model, and i've upgraded the valves to match the new R&Ts. Although the Ohlins does help if setup correctly it can hurt you if not, but the 08CBR1000RR is a fast bike right out of the box. I took my Street CBR with stock gearing and supercorsa SC2 tires to BIRA and was only 0.4s off my PB with the racebike at the time. I've improved alot on the racebike since i've got the suspension sorted but low 1:06s maybe even 1:05s are possible in street gear.

o ya, which bikes are winning in SB3 - Ninja 650s? Grey market 600 inline fours?

Pretty sure the SB series is limited to superbikes. I know in the old days they allowed 600cc inline 4's to race, but I'm pretty sure they can't anymore, which is a bit silly since R6, CBR600RR and Gixxer 600 are all nearly as fast as liter bikes at BIRA, but TiT, it is what it is...

You can race a 750cc 4 cylinder but no 600cc, they actually consider the 600 an advantage and thats why you can't race in the superbike class. At BIRA the Supersport600 race with the SB2/SB1 group, so u still get to race around with about 18 bikes.

You can race a 750cc 4 cylinder but no 600cc, they actually consider the 600 an advantage and thats why you can't race in the superbike class. At BIRA the Supersport600 race with the SB2/SB1 group, so u still get to race around with about 18 bikes.

The SuperSport 600 series will be new this season right?

Un-fukcin-believable that it's the end of February and they STILL haven't published a race schedule for 2012...

http://www.fmsct-live.com/

crazy.gif

The SuperSport 600 series will be new this season right?

Un-fukcin-believable that it's the end of February and they STILL haven't published a race schedule for 2012...

http://www.fmsct-live.com/

crazy.gif

First race is the middle of May. They started the 600cc class at the middle of last year but there was only 1 or 2 bike entered each race, hopefully more will show up this year.

First race is the middle of May. They started the 600cc class at the middle of last year but there was only 1 or 2 bike entered each race, hopefully more will show up this year.

Thanks- would you happen to know how many races there are in a season? I need to figure out if I can budget enough tires to get through the season!

Thanks- would you happen to know how many races there are in a season? I need to figure out if I can budget enough tires to get through the season!

Tony,

There should be 10 races, 5 at BIRA and 5 at Thailand Circuit.

How many tyres do you need for a ten race season?

Not sure what Tony will be doing but i'll be running a new set for every race. It depends how serious you want to be really, i can get about 6 trackdays out of a 190/55 SC2 but can only get 1/2 day at BIRA on a 200/60 SC2 before i have to flip. If i want to gain an extra couple tenths i'll run a 200/60 SC1 that only last about 15laps at race pace. TIngnote, who has run 1:02.9 at BIRA in qualifying runs a SC0 which doesn't last very long..

IF I race SB3 it will just be for fun and I don't see any need for new tires for every race, but even so, you know how fast BIRA eats tires.

I reckon I'd need a new rear every 4-6 track days, front should last roughly double the rear, so you figure 10 races plus hopefully a couple track days every month and you're looking at around 30 or 40 track days in the season which would translate to roughly 10-20 rears, 5-10 fronts... It certainly adds up! >.<

IF I race SB3 it will just be for fun and I don't see any need for new tires for every race, but even so, you know how fast BIRA eats tires.

I reckon I'd need a new rear every 4-6 track days, front should last roughly double the rear, so you figure 10 races plus hopefully a couple track days every month and you're looking at around 30 or 40 track days in the season which would translate to roughly 10-20 rears, 5-10 fronts... It certainly adds up! >.<

Wow! That's a lot of rubber / baht!

get some standard IRC's they last and last :D

get some standard IRC's they last and last biggrin.png

LOLZ! I said I want to race for fun, not crash for fun!

(To be fair, I hear that IRC's newer model, dunno the name, is a huge improvement over what they offered in the past)

Ya think IRC make any tires that'll fit my Gixxer? ;)

On Bira's tight track I'd say a 250 2-Stroke'd be the bike to beat. Superlight, flickable and quick. It takes a big track to stretch out a litrebike and Bira's not it. Plus the runoffs are scary small for the speeds a 1000 can achieve in a who-brakes-last contest. Hats off to you bro. Will have to come out to watch.

On Bira's tight track I'd say a 250 2-Stroke'd be the bike to beat. Superlight, flickable and quick. It takes a big track to stretch out a litrebike and Bira's not it. Plus the runoffs are scary small for the speeds a 1000 can achieve in a who-brakes-last contest. Hats off to you bro. Will have to come out to watch.

The fastest lap i've seen on a Aprilia RS250 is a high 1:09 by Mickey Walker on one of Herberts bikes, thats not much quicker then the 1:10.01 i've did on my ER6. It would be nice to see what a good race prepped RS250 could do. Mickey has posted some good times at Kaeng Krachan on the RS250 though, so it seems to really suit that track well.