Thai PM Yingluck Slams 'Nonsense' Attacks, Sues Rivals

webfact

The cameras at the Four Seasons will reveal all,if Yingluk has nothing to hide, surely she will be glad to let them roll on public TV?!

Apparently, they've already been deleted (if they were ever turned on).

Edited by whybother

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am truly amazed that so many people can get so worked up over such a trivial event.

Trivial enough that she is compelled to file several law suits? Will she sue the media too for reporting this "trivial" issue?

libel isn't trivial.

I am truly amazed that so many people can get so worked up over such a trivial event.

Trivial enough that she is compelled to file several law suits? Will she sue the media too for reporting this "trivial" issue?

libel isn't trivial.

Neither is revealing Government decisions to a group of selected businessmen so they can cash in before the ordinary citizens get to know them. So she'd better come clean.

• Like 1

libel isn't trivial.

Neither is revealing Government decisions to a group of selected businessmen so they can cash in before the ordinary citizens get to know them. So she'd better come clean.

Love it, how do you know that she was revealing government decisions for corrupt purposes ???

How do you know ??

can you also state with certainty my mothers maiden name ?

• Like 1

-- sniper --

libel isn't trivial.

Love it, how do you know that she was revealing government decisions for corrupt purposes ???

How do you know ??

"Smith"

wai.gif

libel isn't trivial.

1 day, 1 hotel, 2 (completely) different issues.

the public does not know if there was any conflict of interest. It's worth looking at.

But on the surface, there is nothing unusual for a politician to meet privately with business people.

It is IMO only poster's perception regarding the history of political corruption in Thailand that fuels these allegations.

For my part, let it be investigated. Don't expect to find anything, though. Not because of a cover up, but because it seems reasonable that if politicians are going to be dealing with conflicts of interest that they won't be doing it in broad daylight with a group of people (how many were there? 7 businessmen?) and with the hotel staff everywhere as well. Having the same group over for a private dinner would be much more practical if you want to deal... Just my 2 cents.

As an aside, it came out in the USA 2 weeks ago that congess members and their staffs are able to engage in insider trading - exactly the same activity that is illegal for all other people in the USA - and it is perfectly legal. Congress and their staff members are 100% exempt, explicitly, from the "law of the land". Amazing.

How do you know ??

Never said I did. But why does the PM hold a secretive meeting with real estate managers well before announcing a government plan which has a major impact on real estate and developers? And no one would have learned of it hadn't one of her entourage felt the necessity to settle an old score with an "activist" who in return revealed the whole setup.

I agree that little sister isn't the brightest light in the Shinawatra shed, but her behaviour in that affair raises a lot of questions - if you aren't just a blind admirer of the "hottie" (quoting one forum member)

But I'm sure her new propaganda secretary will come up with an explanation that will satisfy the simple minds.

• Like 2

libel isn't trivial.

How do you know ??

Phil, by now it has been admitted that the PM, her Dept PM / Finance minister and a few business people related to real estate have held a meeting. Of course we do not know if government decisions were revealed, but the very fact of zigzagging around 'no', 'yes', 'maybe', 'who knows' in itself is already sufficient reason for a censure debate. In a few countries I know of, and including the funny one called United Kingdom, the MP's in the lower house would be having a field day.

As for your mother's maiden name, it should be beneath you to drag your mother in a debate like this. Even a Williams should understand that, methinks

"the very fact of zigzagging around 'no', 'yes', 'maybe', ". Why do you expect a straight answer from a Thai, surely you know that this is culturally impossible. Most Thais have a severe constriction between brain and mouth, as a result the mouth acts autonomously without contacting the brain.

How do you know ??

Never said I did. But why does the PM hold a secretive meeting with real estate managers well before announcing a government plan which has a major impact on real estate and developers? And no one would have learned of it hadn't one of her entourage felt the necessity to settle an old score with an "activist" who in return revealed the whole setup.

I agree that little sister isn't the brightest light in the Shinawatra shed, but her behaviour in that affair raises a lot of questions - if you aren't just a blind admirer of the "hottie" (quoting one forum member)

But I'm sure her new propaganda secretary will come up with an explanation that will satisfy the simple minds.

A 'secret' meeting would have hardly been held in a place where she can be seen by the public.

If she really wanted to remain under the radar there are a myriad of ways to do this - so, either the meeting was as innocent as these meetings are in Thailand or she and her advisers are simply thick

How do you know ??

A 'secret' meeting would have hardly been held in a place where she can be seen by the public.

If she really wanted to remain under the radar there are a myriad of ways to do this - so, either the meeting was as innocent as these meetings are in Thailand or she and her advisers are simply thick

I don't think it is down to thickness, more like arrogance and overconfidence that makes them believe they can do what they like - and most of the time, they can. With regards this hotel meeting, were it not for the chap downstairs that blew the whistle, would this story have ever come to light? Or would the hotel management and all the staff been made to feel like it was their honour to have the PM use the hotel, and as a matter of honour, they would keep it a secret. I suspect that is what would have happened.

• Like 2

Four Democrats to deny defaming PM

The Nation

BANGKOK:-- The four Democrats accused of defaming Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will on Tuesday give their statements at Lumpini police station denying any malicious remarks related to Yingluck's private meeting at Four Seasons Hotel last month.

"I will not invoke my parliamentary immunity as shield," Democrat MP Thepthai Senpong said on Friday.

Thepthai is one of the accsued. The other three are Democrat MP Sirichok Sopha, Democrat spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut and his deputy Mallika Boonmeetrakul.

Lumpini police have summoned the four to acknowledge the libel complaint filed against them and give their rebuttals so as to enable investigators to draw conclusion whether to indict or drop the case.

Thepthai said the four did not defame Yingluck but raised an honest query why she had failed to explain her conduct. The allegation was politically-motivated to gag the opposition, he said.

He also made snide comments, saying the Democrats would not try to elude the law like former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-02

Is this part of the "report" relevant to the asserted libel case in some obscure way? <deleted> kind of objective reporting is this?

"He also made snide comments, saying the Democrats would not try to elude the law like former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra."

How do you know ??

Phil, by now it has been admitted that the PM, her Dept PM / Finance minister and a few business people related to real estate have held a meeting. Of course we do not know if government decisions were revealed, but the very fact of zigzagging around 'no', 'yes', 'maybe', 'who knows' in itself is already sufficient reason for a censure debate. In a few countries I know of, and including the funny one called United Kingdom, the MP's in the lower house would be having a field day.

As for your mother's maiden name, it should be beneath you to drag your mother in a debate like this. Even a Williams should understand that, methinks

"the very fact of zigzagging around 'no', 'yes', 'maybe', ". Why do you expect a straight answer from a Thai, surely you know that this is culturally impossible. Most Thais have a severe constriction between brain and mouth, as a result the mouth acts autonomously without contacting the brain.

I didn't say I expect a straight answer, I don't even expect that from some posters here. I'm just saying that it's interesting to read "PM Yingluck slams nonsense attack, sues ...". It may be a cultural thing, but even after 18 years I'm not really used to it. It's like asking 'this or that' and getting answer 'yes'. Just as annoying as the supposedly facesaving 'yes, no, maybe, who knows', which to lots of people just indicated a true answer not to be forthcoming dry.png

Is this part of the "report" relevant to the asserted libel case in some obscure way? <deleted> kind of objective reporting is this?

"He also made snide comments, saying the Democrats would not try to elude the law like former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra."

Unlike some posters think, maybe theNation has a few reporters who like nice-looking or even hot women like the PM ?

Edited by rubl

How do you know ??

I didn't say I expect a straight answer, I don't even expect that from some posters here. I'm just saying that it's interesting to read "PM Yingluck slams nonsense attack, sues ...". It may be a cultural thing, but even after 18 years I'm not really used to it. It's like asking 'this or that' and getting answer 'yes'. Just as annoying as the supposedly facesaving 'yes, no, maybe, who knows', which to lots of people just indicated a true answer not to be forthcoming dry.png

I grew up calling a spade a spade, Asia was a culture shock. This was brought home to me first in China, I was in a small village waiting for a bus to Beijing, I asked in Chinglish, "when bus come", I was told, "bus come soon". It came the next morning. Later I was in a taxi in Bangkok, I gave the destination to the driver and asked if he knew the way, he said "Yes". After driving aimlessly for 20 minutes it became clear he did not have a clue. I have had similar experiences in KL and Manila. In Asia the distinction between fact and fiction, truth and lies, is a grey fuzzy area, as you say all because of face saving. When Britain had to hand back HK to China it was because our diplomats did not understand this, the Brits and Chinese were operating with different paradigms, but that is moving off topic.

Four Democrats to deny defaming PM

The Nation

BANGKOK:-- The four Democrats accused of defaming Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will on Tuesday give their statements at Lumpini police station denying any malicious remarks related to Yingluck's private meeting at Four Seasons Hotel last month.

"I will not invoke my parliamentary immunity as shield," Democrat MP Thepthai Senpong said on Friday.

Thepthai is one of the accsued. The other three are Democrat MP Sirichok Sopha, Democrat spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut and his deputy Mallika Boonmeetrakul.

Lumpini police have summoned the four to acknowledge the libel complaint filed against them and give their rebuttals so as to enable investigators to draw conclusion whether to indict or drop the case.

Thepthai said the four did not defame Yingluck but raised an honest query why she had failed to explain her conduct. The allegation was politically-motivated to gag the opposition, he said.

He also made snide comments, saying the Democrats would not try to elude the law like former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-02

so they're going to co-operate and answer the summons/questions to give their statements immediately, good on them.

wonder why khanchit didn't do that... the mind boggles coffee1.gif

Edited by nurofiend

Irregardless of the underlying subject matter, it is a sad state of affairs when the PM of a nation chooses to communicate with the general public via their Facebook page. Miracle Thailand!

It's the 21st century, Sherlock. Did you know that Thailand is the second-highest nation in the world in the growth of Facebook usage?

This method of communication exposes her uncensored views to more of her target audience than TV, radio, newspapers ever could ever do.

Wake up and smell the new social media technology. It's the tool of revolutions in the the rest of the world; why not a legitimate media for politicians here?

• Like 1

Fookhaht is absolutely correct - why should politicians not evolve with technology surrounding them - I think most leaders in the western world have facebook pages, twitter accounts etc... and why not - after all, if they wish to address young voters in particular this is the way to go.

Social media is far more important than traditional media in that news can spread like wildfire . . . both good and bad . . . and engender debate far more quickly than traditional media

Fookhaht is absolutely correct - why should politicians not evolve with technology surrounding them - I think most leaders in the western world have facebook pages, twitter accounts etc... and why not - after all, if they wish to address young voters in particular this is the way to go.

Social media is far more important than traditional media in that news can spread like wildfire . . . both good and bad . . . and engender debate far more quickly than traditional media

One problem with politicians using social media is that they don't actually answer the questions that are being asked.

• Like 1

So the PM did deny that there was a meeting when first confronted with it. Given that she was also immediately accused of sexual misconduct (which has been denied here, but reading the public reports makes it clear that indeed this was the case) is a plausible (albeit IMO still not a good) reason for the initial denial. Call it stonewalling if you want. The accusations were absurd from the first moment. The denial is understandable, if not the best choice.

There could have been an inquiry into conflict of interest without the personal attacks, but that did not seem to suit either the opposition nor the opposition media outlets. But a straight-forward query regarding conflict of interest would have been in the public interest.

As for suing, it seems to be the weapon of choice in Thai politics. Politicians might actually get work done if they weren't so busy trying to unseat each other via lawsuits.

Which makes me regret not keeping count of the number of times the opposition has threatened to sue or impeach the PM and those in her cabinet during the last 6 months. Somehow it would not surprise me if that number were 20-30 times or more...

To be perfectly clear for critics on TVF, yes, the above is a defense of the PM. The sexual misconduct accusations were absurd from the first moment, and this non-issue circus (excepting an honest look into potential conflict of interest) has gone on for 2 weeks. The PM should sue the hell out of those trying to defame her just because she is female. And the Democrats involved should shut up and get back to work. Good luck to her.

Well I am no fan of a inept PM but what you have said here is true. More time wasted over trying to get rid of people than spent on trying to honestly do good for Thailand.

The Dems know they will not succeed and PT keeps on giving them the ammo so they can not see what the real agenda is such as bring a criminal back to Thailand absolve him of all his proven and alleged to be tried yet doings and let him sit in the Cabinet meetings in person.

If I was a Dem that is what I would be screaming about the PM not going to cabinet meetings while her brother is on the line with them.

But what the heck it is just a game they play. The master puppet master has complete control.

As a after thought I was wondering how many of those people indicating a moral transgression are just talking out loud about there wishful thinking.

Off topic posts removed

Baiting and aggressive posts removed.

You guys know better than to stoop to this kind of thing and yet you still do. Next one to do so will be suspended.

One problem with politicians using social media is that they don't actually answer the questions that are being asked.

They don't anyway, irrespective of the format the questions are posed in. Politicians know full well that most questions thrown at them are baited or loaded questions and their answers will be documented ad infinitum - a politician can't know all the answers to all the questions thrown at them so they simply don't answer off-the-cuff, or shouldn't.

Sounds like "im an apologist for pollies - I'm not - but we should be realistic in our expectations