Australian Arrested For Carrying Fake Driving License At Pattaya Police Checkpoint

Rimmer

Australian arrested for carrying fake driving license at Pattaya Police Checkpoint

PATTAYA:-- Five suspected drug dealers and an Australian man in possession of a fake driving license have been arrested by Banglamung Police.

The five drug dealing suspects were caught in two separate drug suppression operations which also led to the seizure of 80 Yabba Tablets and 33.3g of Crystal Methamphetamine.

Mr. Adrian Sunac aged 30 from Australia was caught at a Police Checkpoint and when asked to present a valid driving license, produced a license which appeared to be issued by the United Nations but is in fact a fake document.

We would like to warn foreign drivers who reside in Pattaya that the only licenses which are acceptable under Thai Traffic Laws pertaining to foreign drivers are either Thai Driving Licenses or International Driving Licenses

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/49648/australian-arrested-carrying-fake-driving-license-pattaya-police-checkpoint/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-02-24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

He probably bought it along Khao San road and they put the wrong photo on it for him.

You can buy these licenses on the internet, in fact on TV, a google ad comes up for them....they are not legal or recognised anywhere, they are basically a scam....maybe this serves as a warning to people who say there is not problem driving in Thailand with no DL, expired home country DL etc etc...

The article is factually incorrect in stating an international driving license....there is no such thing....its an international driving permit and in essence its a "legalised" translation of an valid drivers license, if you are in thailand on a "permanent" basis better to get a proper Thai DL, they are not hard to get

He was not arrested for possessing a fake licenses, he was arrested for "presenting" (using) a fake licenses.

There is no such thing as a an International Driving License, it is an IDP (international Driving Permit) a document that should be presented with ones own valid driving license.

International Driving License = Official Driving License from another nation.

It's pretty obvious that is what they are referring to, not an IDP.

Well its not obvious to me, and I have read the article....if they meant DL from another country, I would have thought they would say a "foreign license" not an international license...there is no such thing as an international DL....but there is something called a IDP....commonly referred to as an international drivers license

Out of six people arrested, there were 5 people suspected of dealing in class one drugs, yet the article focusses more on a FARANG with a shonky driving licence.

You couldn't make it up, lol !!!!giggle.gif

Well at least it appears they are cracking down on people with shonky licenses...are people using shonky DL's any less dangereous than drug dealers ?

You see adverts for these fake driving licenses all around town...gotta wonder about the cognitive abilities of the daft foreigners who hand over wads of the folding stuff for them...why don't they just get a Thai license? It's really not that difficult...just a hassle to waste a day on it.

International Driving License = Official Driving License from another nation.

It's pretty obvious that is what they are referring to, not an IDP.

I got my IDP in Bkk and used it when I was working in Kuwat. The one guy here is correct if you want to get sticky about that actual IDL or the IDP but yes it does actually say IDP.

Sorry but there is no such thing as an IDL as you say as an official drivers license is only good for that country however some countries Thailand included will allow you drivers license from back home for 30 days but will see what your arrival day was in your passport and compare it to the day you are being jacked up.

some countries Thailand included will allow you drivers license from back home for 30 days but will see what your arrival day was in your passport and compare it to the day you are being jacked up.

I think the IDP can be used for up to three months, the same duration as an extended tourist visa.

I met a couple of days ago a guy from the UK who had been stopped by the police in south pattaya, on the road near the railroad tracks.

I got stopped first, and then I didn't understadn why they stopped me again, but it was just to show the guy what a proper IDP looked like. I saw his, it was a crappy-made color copy of a DL that carried his Thai address somehow. His Thai lady friend asked what they can do, I said they should pay the police off. Better than to get to the station with a fake.

But there were 10+ officers around, gonna be expensive.