What Underwater Video / Photo Equipment Do You Have And Would Get If You Were Shopping For It?

Shurup

OK, I'm not sure what the hell happened, I was typing the message and the IE froze and all dissapeared, I don't feel like typing it all over again so here is a short version of what I wanted to ask.

I have a GoPro HD and while it's a great sports camera, it's underwater performance isn't good (I have an aftermarket housing lens and a color correction filter). The biggest disadvantage is it's missing an image stabilization (or anti-shake) and all the video has to be post processed which takes time and a lot of it. I also had a Pentax W60 and it was taking great photo/video in shallow water, it had special underwater mode with color correction, but it wasn't supposed to go past 5 m and I was taking it up to 10. It crapped out, something went wrong with the lens mechanism.

Anyways, I will be buying something new in the very near future... and while I like my Canon 40D, I am not paying $2000-$3000 for the camera housing and a lens port for it.

Budget is $500-$1000. What I am thinking is a mid/high end of compact camera and a dedicated housing for it (most likely from ikelite.com as they have a wide variety at competitive prices and a lot of accessories).

I am a Canon fan but in this case the budget will play a big role so I might swing to a different brand. What do you have and what would you recommend? I am pretty sure I would want to add a strobe light to it if not right away then some time in the future so probably it has to have that option.

I guess it all comes to what camera do you like and then getting a housing for it (if available), I guess this question might work just as well in the Digital photo forum as at this point it's not very much diving related.

I thought I would just find out what people use and see it it's gonna work for me...

Another question: Do you take more pics or videos when diving? I found I do more video then stills underwater and it's complete opposite above the water, should I be looking for a camcorder + housing instead of digital compact? Again, what do you use your camera for more (pics or vids) and would you get something different if you were shopping now?

Well, it all looks like a random set of questions so just say whatever you wanted to say, I am in the research and evaluation phase now so not gonna buy anything right away, any and every opinion and input will be appreciated.

Thx for the input, I looked at the G11 and G12 specs and reviews (as well as some other makes and models), and while I would like DSLR like controls and feeling, these models are limping way behind their competitors when shooting vid. In that respect Nikon P7100 way ahead but missing some features that G12 photo mode has. All in all I desided to wait and see what new G1X has to offer, still too expensive (camera and a housing - will be way over my budget), no good reviews yet and no aftermarket housings (I do not want Canon's made one).

A nice feature about G11, 12 and perhaps G1X is that an external TTL strobe can be attached to the housing so it would be controlled by the camera.

In the main time I put my eye on the newer Canon S100, it's not as good as G1X but way ahead of G12 and reasonably priced too.

Hmm, some many choices...

Read some reviews for G1X and it's Canon housing - not too good. Couple points mentioned were: it's widest angle isn't wide enough and a Canon housing will not allow aftermarket wide-angle lenses, also a minimal focus is 20 cm compared to 2 cm of G12.

S100seems to ge a better alternative.

Here is the review:

http://www.deepshots.co.uk/2012/02/review-canon-powershot-g1x-and-wp-dc44-underwater-housing/

Read some reviews for G1X and it's Canon housing - not too good. Couple points mentioned were: it's widest angle isn't wide enough and a Canon housing will not allow aftermarket wide-angle lenses, also a minimal focus is 20 cm compared to 2 cm of G12.

Here is the review:

http://www.deepshots...rwater-housing/

Even Ikelite don't do a G1X housing http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/camcanchart.html, I just have a cheap Intova 5mp and the housing that came with it, whole lot was just on 10k baht, it takes average shots, but i am not an expert with pics underwater, flash bounce is a problem with it in the waters here with so much particles floating around, there may be a way to difuse it but i have usually disabled it and only used it in light conditions.

Here is the review:

http://www.deepshots...rwater-housing/

Even Ikelite don't do a G1X housing http://www.ikelite.c...amcanchart.html, I just have a cheap Intova 5mp and the housing that came with it, whole lot was just on 10k baht, it takes average shots, but i am not an expert with pics underwater, flash bounce is a problem with it in the waters here with so much particles floating around, there may be a way to difuse it but i have usually disabled it and only used it in light conditions.

Need strobes way out there, and shooting in. Try not to light up the fragments between the lens and the subject, only the subject.

the closer the fragement is the lens, if its lit up, will make it even more visable.

I have some nice pics of zebra crabs off the pier at Ko Larn, and its pretty murky around there

• Like 1

I use a panasonic lumix for dives around 3 meters and the Olympus tough TC-810 for dives to 10 meters. Both are very good cameras, dont need cases but the lumix has better HD video with the MP4 format. Both have GPS, so location is identified.

Edited by bazmlb
Font edited for easier reading

I use a panasonic lumix for dives around 3 meters and the Olympus tough TC-810 for dives to 10 meters. Both are very good cameras, dont need cases but the lumix has better HD video with the MP4 format. Both have GPS, so location is identified.

All the articles say GPS does not work underwater, subs have to use bouys to get signals if need, mind you your are at nowhere near the depth they are, but even tree foliage can block gps signals as they have travelled some 11,000 miles by the time they hit earth and are very weak.

All the articles say GPS does not work underwater, subs have to use bouys to get signals if need, mind you your are at nowhere near the depth they are, but even tree foliage can block gps signals as they have travelled some 11,000 miles by the time they hit earth and are very weak.

Good point, I must admit both my cameras are pre GPS versions. I can say that the Lumix underwater video was very good and it has an LED flood light inbuilt for what its worth lol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to find a Sony NEX 5N to replace my Canon G11. The image and video quality of the NEX 5N completely blows away what my current camera can do, also the underwater housing is surprisingly cheap.

However I haven't been able to find the camera anywhere, out of stock. I think is related to the floods ruining the Sony factory.

I don't know anything about underwater photo equipment so please don't kill me if it is silly what I write....

I have been in Langkawi last year and there the dive guide had a camera in a "plastic bag". He told me that is a special plastic bag for underwater photos and it is much cheaper than a housing/costs almost nothing. Also his camera was cheap, but he told me important is that you can set it to the underwater light.

The pictures he made were fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know anything about underwater photo equipment so please don't kill me if it is silly what I write....

I have been in Langkawi last year and there the dive guide had a camera in a "plastic bag". He told me that is a special plastic bag for underwater photos and it is much cheaper than a housing/costs almost nothing. Also his camera was cheap, but he told me important is that you can set it to the underwater light.

I've seen these bags and if I had an older sh!t camera I didn't care much about, I would've bought a bag for it. These bags are rated for shallow dives only, can't remember what it was but I think something like 15 meters (+/-). Good enough for Open Water divers who doesn't plan to advance in their training.

Another issue is: You get what you paid for. I read a lot stories when the bag failed.

Not for me but thanks for the input anyways.

I'm trying to find a Sony NEX 5N to replace my Canon G11. The image and video quality of the NEX 5N completely blows away what my current camera can do, also the underwater housing is surprisingly cheap.

However I haven't been able to find the camera anywhere, out of stock. I think is related to the floods ruining the Sony factory.

Just knowing how the camera looks, I would think it's housing's price would be somewhere close the DSLR housing. How much is "surprisingly cheap" and what company made that housing?

Thx folks for all the input, keep it coming.

I won't be staying anywhere in SE asia much for the next 7 or so months and as such won't be diving. Will buy a camera and a housing 5-6 months from now, hopefully there wil be more alternatives. I will be watching this topic and doing more research on the subject until I make a purchase.

Just knowing how the camera looks, I would think it's housing's price would be somewhere close the DSLR housing. How much is "surprisingly cheap" and what company made that housing?

Take a look here.

80-something dollars is a very good price for a housing like that, I've read some reviews about it and people say the quality is about the same as the Canon housings. I've used a couple Canon housings (G9 and G11) and they never had any issues, so that good is good enough for me. :)

Incidentally the Canon housings I mentioned are about twice the price of this one.

I've seen that housing at MBK here in Bangkok, although I didn't ask for the price at that particular shop.

Now I only have to find were to buy the Nex 5N...

Take a look here.

80-something dollars (surprised? :D ) is a very good price for a housing like that, I've read some reviews about it and people say the quality is about the same as the Canon housings. I've used a couple Canon housings (G9 and G11) and they never had any issues, so that good is good enough for me. smile.png

Incidentally the Canon housings I mentioned are about twice the price of this one.

I've seen that housing at MBK here in Bangkok, although I didn't ask for the price at that particular shop.

Take a look here.

80-something dollars (surprised? biggrin.png ) is a very good price for a housing like that, I've read some reviews about it and people say the quality is about the same as the Canon housings. I've used a couple Canon housings (G9 and G11) and they never had any issues, so that good is good enough for me. smile.png

Can't comment on the housing, link won't load, need to try from my work computer which is on a different network... It IS surprisingly cheap but I would be taking a very hard look at it before shoving that expensive camera in, perhaps do a couple of test dives with empty housing to see if it holds.

NEX 5N is freely available in stores in Canada, $700. If you can't get it here, check back in your home country.

I've seen these bags and if I had an older sh!t camera I didn't care much about, I would've bought a bag for it. These bags are rated for shallow dives only, can't remember what it was but I think something like 15 meters (+/-). Good enough for Open Water divers who doesn't plan to advance in their training.

Another issue is: You get what you paid for. I read a lot stories when the bag failed.

Not for me but thanks for the input anyways.

yes Langkawi is shallow......

What surprised me was that he made perfect pictures with this sh!t equipment.

(but OK they dove there every day on the same spots, maybe he made 1 Million pictures and I saw only the 20 best of it)

• 1 month later...

With my GoPro when I use it with the head strap, the videos are too jerky when you move your head left to right. To you it may not look like you're making sharp head moves (as you compensate with eyes movement) but on video it looks very jerky even when I tried to turn my head slow and smooth. I get a lot better videos when I hold the camera in my hand.

If that built in camera got no image stabilization, it would make the same jerky video. Also this kind of combo may look good on paper, but what if a mast or the camera got trashed? Can't use that camera if the mask is cracked or the seal is damaged. The mask itself would look weird if you just use it as a mask if the camera dies.