Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Dangerous Haze In Six Provinces: Pcd

Lite Beer

UPPER NORTH

Dangerous haze in six provinces: PCD

The Nation on Sunday

30176702-01_big.JPG

CHIANG RAI:-- Smog levels soar in Phayao; plane delayed by poor visibility in Lampang

Six province in the Upper North were covered by unsafe levels of haze, the Pollution Control Department reported yesterday.

Air in the provinces contained fine particles beyond the acceptable level of 120 micrograms per cubic metre (mg/m3). The latest reading of particulate matter of up to 10 micrometres (PM10) in the province of Phayao was as high as 237 mg/m3, the agency warned.

Lampang had poor visibility of just 800 metres yesterday morning due to dust levels of 200 mg/m3.This caused the air traffic control tower there to order a Bangkok Airways Bangkok-Lampang flight to circle the airport until visibility improved to 1,000 metres before landing, creating a one-hour delay.

The air-quality testing point at Yupparaj School in downtown Chiang Mai reported a level of 128 mg/m3. A level of 173 was reported at Lampang's city shrine; while a station at Tambon Tha Si Health Promotion Hospital reported 207; and Mae Moh waterworks authority office reported 210.

Chiang Rai reported 152 mg/m3, Nan reported 152 and Phrae reported 233. In the region, only Mae Hong Son reported a safe level of 112.

Chief of Chiang Mai's environmental office 1 Apiwat Kunarak said the overall fine-particle dust situation was bad this year and might prove to be worse than 2007 for eight northern provinces in the long term. Some places had already endured seven or eight days of unsafe fine-particle dust - compared to two or three days of unsafe readings at most places in 2007.

Apiwat said the situation was the result of people continuing to disregard authorities' request to stop outdoor burning, especially farmers clearing fields.

Chiang Mai Public Health deputy official Dr Surasing Wisarutrat said officials had asked schools not to make students line up outdoors for the morning flag-raising routine and would issue a formal letter tomorrow seeking their cooperation.

Some 50,000 facemasks were also dispatched to 25 district hospitals for distribution to respiratory patients, he said.

Chiang Rai Governor Thanin Supasaen invoked the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act 2007's Article 15, concerning forest-fire control and prevention, to require farmers near forests to ask permission from their kamnan, or village headman, before burning grass or farm waste and to build firebreaks. Lamphun Governor Surachai Khan-arsa instructed officials and local administrative bodies in Li, Thung Hua Chang, Ban Hong, Pa Sang, Mae Tha, Ban Thi, Wiang Nong Long and Muang districts to send 200 water trucks to spray all roads up to 10 times a day. Lamphun was recording 2,500-3,000 respiratory patients a day.

Tak's Mae Sot and other border districts were covered with fine-particle dust created by outdoor burning in Thailand and Burma, causing eye irritation for some people, while motorists had to drive cautiously due to poor visibility. Flights operated as normal, although some planes had to circle several times before landing due to poor visibility

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-26

Don't I know it! The air in Phayao province is nothing short of poisonous, I've had a cross between cold and headache symptoms for days and the sun can't even burn it's way through by mid day.

What really annoys me is the short sightedness, lazyness and complacency which are responsible. Slash and burn agriculture with a tiny bit of effort can be replaced by slash and char and so the bio charcoal goes into the earth not the atmosphere. Even the Mayans worked this out 1000 years ago, but it seems beyond the local population. As a side effect the soils become devoid of organic matter through slash and burn meaning more chemical fertilizer is needed and more pesticides as the predators of such pests have been killed by insecticides.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai is the same if not worse, the sun can't even break through the haze. My son (5 Yrs) just spent 3 days in Chiangmai Ram hospital after suffering continuous coughing fits for days. He had a resporatory problem and required intermitant oxygen. The doctor advised us that he should remain indoors until the problem with the smoke and pollution passes. I guess that means keeping him out of school. I have also noticed that I get sore eyes and headaches if I spend to much time outdoors.

The average life span for an Aussie male is 76 years (4th highest in the world) and in Thailand it is 63 yrs. Surely this practice of buring the country every year must be having some impact on this.

Don't Thais realise that they are also burning money, someone could have good business venture collecting or this vegetation that is going to be simply burnt and turn into mulch which could be cultivated back into the soil as nature intended. We have a mulcher and all our green waste is recycled and used and our garden soils are rich and black with worms in abundance. No fertilisers used and we get the best produce.

• Like 1

i genuinely believe that a lot of thais are pyromaniacs.

they love to burn stuff. rather than let leaves rot and return to the soil, they will burn them. in my village they make chilli powder for sale at the local market. they deposit the husks at the rear of the village meeting place and rather than just leave them there so they can rot and most likely grow again in the rainy season.......... they burn them.

then will sit and continue to work while the smoke burms their eyes and they cough and splutter. its amazing to watch them. finally 2 days ago when my whole family couldnt breathe because we live across from it, i took a watering can and put out the smoldering embers of chillies. everyone could then breathe but they were pissed at me for putting out their fire. WTH.

in my village they will burn the remnants of the rice crops every year. older people die from breathing difficulties because of it. last year the unusual increase in rainfall prevented them from burning and their were no deaths from breathing difficulties. this year the haze is back and i expect to be seeing quite a few deaths because of it.

HM tells them every year not to do it, but still they persist. it seems they are unable to change. Why ?

• Like 1

I remember that this type of thing was a major problem in South America while I was living there ten years ago. Here in Thailand, it's different because everyone is constantly on the receiving end of the gigantic public relations campaign (with nearly everyone's involvement) that is just a part of life in this country. That obfuscates the prevalence of third-world mentalities that persist here. We are always being told about how advanced and growth-oriented everyone in Thailand (and much of Southeast Asia for that matter) is. I remember when Indonesia caused a haze that covered massive portions of Southeast Asia. It caused serious economic problems in neighboring countries (flights canceled/tourism hurt) and ASEAN had to be used to try to ensure there weren't any repeats.

Edited by Unkomoncents
  • Like 1

If logical argument, requests to the BIB (cheesy.gif ), and other normal steps fail, you could always approach the local red shirt office. I'm sure that for a reasonable gratuity some of the otherwise unemployed neanderthals ph34r.png could put your request to the polluters in a manner they understandwai.gif .

• Like 1

Don't Thais realise that they are also burning money, someone could have good business venture collecting or this vegetation that is going to be simply burnt and turn into mulch which could be cultivated back into the soil as nature intended. We have a mulcher and all our green waste is recycled and used and our garden soils are rich and black with worms in abundance. No fertilisers used and we get the best produce.

I like this idea very much, Thais do love ~ buoy ~ chemical fertilizer. I would be very impressed to see this happen, If I had the money I would do it myself.

Damo.

• Like 1

Fighting Haze Pollution in Northern Thailand

Agencies concerned are working to bring the haze pollution problem in northern Thailand under control. They are also monitoring the situation closely and providing assistance to local people.

Eight affected provinces in the upper northern region include Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Phayao, and Phrae.

The Ministry of Public Health has sent 50,000 sanitary masks to the eight provinces so that local residents could protect themselves from haze pollution. Around 60 hospitals in these provinces reported that the number of patients suffering from heart, coronary, respiratory, and eye diseases has been on the rise. However, the report did not conclude that the smoke haze was a factor contributing to the increase. Public Health Minister Wittaya Buranasiri said that he would send occupational and environmental health experts to the areas to gather information for disease control and surveillance.

Chiang Mai Governor Mom Luang Panadda Diskul said that the haze pollution problem was among the top priorities for Chiang Mai officials; they would work to mitigate adverse effects for the time being. The problem would not only cause health hazards, but would also harm the tourism industry. Stressing the need for local people to reduce burning, the Governor has instructed officials to impose strict measures to prevent people from burning on farms and in forest areas.

Statistics compiled by the Chiang Mai Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office show that 162 forest fires took place in the province between 5 January and 15 February 2012. Almost 400 acres of forest land, mainly in Hot, Mae Chaem, and Doi Tao districts, have been damaged.

A study indicates that the smoke haze and bushfire problem usually arises in Thailand from January to April each year. It is caused by all kinds of burning in various communities, as well as the slash-and-burn farming technique employed by farmers. Dust and smoke particles from haze pollution cause air pollution and health hazards, particularly respiratory illness. Artificial rain-making has been adopted as one way to help ease the problem. Campaigns are launched each year to encourage local people ton fight the problem by refraining from burning during this period.

Several other ASEAN countries also face this problem each year. ASEAN ministers responsible for the environment have agreed to set up a fund to provide immediate assistance for affected countries. At their latest meeting in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, on 18 October 2011, the ministers noted that several ASEAN Member States had contributed to the ASEAN Transboundary Haze Pollution Control Fund towards realizing the pledge of providing an initial seed contribution of 500,000 US dollars for the Fund. Thailand has also cooperated with Lao PDR and Myanmar in providing air quality monitoring stations to fight the problem in the region.

Foreign Office, The Government Public Relations Department

Sadly enough,no one really cares,fires are burning all along canal road Chiang Mai, in the visibility of the police,council workers and everybody,yet,they keep burning....so, who cares or does something about this? i know when i put my ad signs on the road,they are pulled down within days...priorities of easiest tasks seem to come first!!

In Australia if you are found guilty of deliberately lighting a bush-fire, you will also be charged with manslaughter of any persons whose death was a result. Throwing a cigarette butt during a Total Fire Ban which ignites a fire is a culpable act.

If Thais want to continue their practices which provably cause the death of others, a few manslaughter charges might change their habits.

No offense to the present Government - the situation has been the same for ages - but the typical response from above seems to be confined to monitoring and mitigating the problem. When it comes to prevention, all we get is so much lip service and hot air. A little bit of actual enforcement and punishment of persistent offenders would be a change.

Good to see OzMick doing his usual muckraking and sneering that seem to be his response to any thread, political or otherwise!clap2.gif

Edited by catmac
  • Like 2

No offense to the present Government - the situation has been the same for ages - but the typical response from above seems to be confined to monitoring and mitigating the problem. When it comes to prevention, all we get is so much lip service and hot air. A little bit of actual enforcement and punishment of persistent offenders would be a change.

Good to see OzMick doing his usual muckraking and sneering that seem to be his response to any thread, political or otherwise!clap2.gif

you're quite right, the only suggestions are for symptoms, not the problem. But tackling the problem might upset their voter base...........

I like this idea very much, Thais do love ~ buoy ~ chemical fertilizer. I would be very impressed to see this happen, If I had the money I would do it myself.

Damo.

I've been onto people in our farming village for years about composting. I taught them how to do it. Made a manual in English and out abbot at the temple translated it to Thai. Made approx. 100 copies of the manual and you know what? It actually worked for about ONE YEAR.... Did the same with praying mantis (a great predator of many kinds of insect eggs and larvae)... Worked for a while til' the farmers got too impatient for the creatures to do their magic so they started spraying again - killed the praying mantis all off.... I donated land for the community to use as a hazardous rubbish site (plastic, batteries, metals, and glass... )- It amazes me that every year people pray thanks for the water (Loy Krathong) and yet have rubbish tips right next to waterways. This worked for a short time only. Took the land back and told them all to sort their stuff out (via my missus)

• Like 1

The average life span for an Aussie male is 76 years (4th highest in the world) and in Thailand it is 63 yrs. Surely this practice of buring the country every year must be having some impact on this.

I doubt burning in the northern provinces would be impacting the whole of Thailand's life expentency by any noticeable amount.

Does air pollution only affect males?

... and your figures are way off.

Male life expectency:

Australia: 79.48

Thailand: 71.45

(source CIA Factbook)

I've not long returned from my daily 2 hour bike ride around the Hang Dong area of Chiang Mai. Visibility was poor and the mountains which can normally be seen clearly were hidden. As I rode through the various villages I noted no less than 7 fires burning and there was a lot of fires from the previous evening that were smouldering embers or just piles of fresh ash. Apart from the Farmers burning the Fields/Paddys, which was done here back in December before the alternative Bean plants were planted, the main problem around here is the lack of rubbish collections from the Rural villages. They have no way of disposing of rubbish other than dumping it in the open countryside or piling it up and burning it either in their gardens or at a community area somewhere in the village. If the authorities are serious about prevention they need to address the serious problem of lack of rubbish collections. I would say this aspect is being ignored because of the costs involved.

Obviously the education program about alternative measures to burning off rice paddy waste and other overgrowth is not getting through. Alot of these firebug culprits are illiterate and therefore can't read the imformation sent to them by the Agrcultural Ministry. Maybe they would get more success if they get out and about in these areas to educate the farmers face to face. Maybe incentives to farmers that use the suggested alternative measures to burning off could work. Failing that, maybe they need to spend a little time locked up to ponder about the way they do buisness. After all these pollution levels are contibuting to serious health problems amongst the population and even deaths in some cases. They are also hurting the economy with the costs associated in treating the same and new respitory patients each and every year.

I doubt burning in the northern provinces would be impacting the whole of Thailand's life expentency by any noticeable amount.

Does air pollution only affect males?

... and your figures are way off.

Male life expectency:

Australia: 79.48

Thailand: 71.45

(source CIA Factbook)

Sorry I guess I looked at a different site to you, nice to know I have an extra 3 years of life. When they work out the average life expectancy of a country it is calculated using the entire population and not just the north or south. What I was saying if you read was this annual burning must be having SOME impact on life in Thailand. The population is mostly rural, concentrated in the rice-growing areas of the central, northeastern, and northern regions. However, as Thailand continues to industrialize, its urban population - 31.1% of the total population, principally in the Bangkok area - is growing.

Now as approx 68.9% of the population is concentrated in the rurals areas and the places where this burning happens I will say again that this annual burn must be having some impact on life expectancy. Yes I know it is not the sole influence as there are other factors like vehicle accidents, HIV and hereditary deseases etc. etc.

P.S if you want to nitpic the CIA factbook you quoted says 71.24 for thai males.. No it does not just effect males sorry I was just using males as I am one. It effects males and females, straights and gays and lady boys.

Life expectancy at birth total population: 73.6 years male: 71.24 years female: 76.08 years (2011 est.)

" Lamphun Governor Surachai Khan-arsa instructed officials and local administrative bodies in Li, Thung Hua Chang, Ban Hong, Pa Sang, Mae Tha, Ban Thi, Wiang Nong Long and Muang districts to send 200 water trucks to spray all roads up to 10 times a day. Lamphun was recording 2,500-3,000 respiratory patients a day."

All of you are looking at the wrong problem. The Governor of Lamphun has it all figured out - the problem is not smoke from burning everything in sight -- the problem is dust from the roads. After all Thais have been burning like this for hundreds of years.

Spray water on the roads and the problem will go away !!

I just took my 76 year old mother-in-law to Ban Hong Hospital - she could not breathe and started shaking and then passed out . Our visibility here in the Ban Hong basin is between 200 and 300 metres right now - worse than yesterday.

Edited by tigermonkey

You can't educate idiots! I tried in my village,reminding the Puyai Bahn that burning your leaves,plastic etc is in fact illegal. He said he knew that,had tried to stop it but gave up. He is Thai of course and can't come at the confrontational nature of that so better to look the other way.

I will try another way. Maybe pay for the black plastic bags that nobody wants to pay 100 baht for and/or offer some other sort of financial incentive.

Offer my land for composting knowing the short term success that that will enjoy,if at all as mentioned above.

I just don't understand how they don't see the dangers of burning.

These are home based villagers (chao bahn) I'm talking about, exacerbating an otherwise existing problem.

Before and after views from our house.

Last year mid March.

Seasons%2520%2520002.jpg

Present day.

Smog%2520%2520001.jpg

I just love comparitive photography. Pictures don't lie.

Ever heard of Photoshop?

Indeed pictures can lie but not in this case. Numbers are much easier to manipulate, so I depend on my disappearing landmarks to judge air quality in my area.

Last year Thaivisa ran this article about BKK levels being critical at only 55mg. Just as a comparison these levels in Phayao seem to be seriously dangerous:/

Air pollution in BKK found at critical level

BANGKOK, 2 February 2011 (NNT) – The Pollution Control Department has reported that air pollution within Bangkok has reached a critical level while a pollution reduction plan will be drawn to tackle the problem.

Dr Wijarn Simachaya, Deputy Director General of the Pollution Control Department, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, revealed statistics from a survey of the air quality in Bangkok during 1997-2010, which suggested that dust particles smaller than 10 microns in diameter were measured at 55.3 micrograms per cubic meter per year, exceeding the normal rate of 50 micrograms by 4 percent.