Brown Rice V White Rice

suegha

As far as I know, white rice is milled much more to remove the outer layers, unfortunately this is where a lot of the good nutrients are stored.

Just to make sure no one gets anything too healthy it may also be bleached to make it look nice (unsure about this).

Obviously one is brown and the other is white!  How are the two produced and what is the difference in nutritional value?  I did post this on another forum and got no replies...

The difference is similar in principal to the difference between White and Brown bread, the milling also substantially decreases the roughage value of rice as well.

From a nutritional point of view just as in bread, brown rice is streets ahead of white rice, funny oriental people don't seem to want to touch it, must be too 'country' for them!

Edited by spacebass

Obviously one is brown and the other is white!  How are the two produced and what is the difference in nutritional value?  I did post this on another forum and got no replies...

The difference is similar in principal to the difference between White and Brown bread, the milling also substantially decreases the roughage value of rice as well.

From a nutritional point of view just as in bread, brown rice is streets ahead of white rice, funny oriental people don't seem to want to touch it, must be too 'country' for them!

Actually I think the reason has more to do with a preference to eat something that tastes good.

Taste is subjective. I think in "Asian opinion" white is more desirable, it stands for beauty, purity and wealth, or something like this.

Anyone noticed the many adverts on Thai TV rendered in whitish pastel tones, as well as surroundings of rich people in the soap-operas featuring a lot of white and very light tones?

And yes, brown rice is much more nutritious, there also are many varieties to accomodate individual preferences in taste, texture and appearance. -hard to find, unfortunately, ironically, in the rice-growing area I live, chances to find any brown rice are nil!

Nutrition Chart

Brown Rice/1 cup cooked

Calories 217

Total fat (g) 1.8

Saturated fat (g) 0.4

Monounsaturated fat (g) 0.6

Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0.6

Dietary fiber (g) 3.5

Protein (g) 5

Carbohydrate (g) 45

Cholesterol (mg) 0

Sodium (mg) 10

Niacin (mg) 3

Vitamin B6 (mg) 0.3

Manganese (mg) 1.8

Magnesium (mg) 84

Phosphorus (mg) 162

Selenium (mcg) 19

White Rice/1 cup cooked

Calories 205

Total fat (g) 0.4

Saturated fat (g) 0.1

Monounsaturated fat (g) 0.1

Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0.1

Dietary fiber (g) 0.6

Protein (g) 4

Carbohydrate (g) 45

Cholesterol (mg) 0

Sodium (mg) 2

Thiamin (mg) 0.3

Folate (mcg) 92

Manganese (mg) 0.8

Selenium (mcg) 12

Slightly off topic but:

I tried cooking brown rice in my electric rice cooker using the 'rice' mode. it turns out way too dry. I put in the same amount of water as I would for cooking white rice at that time.

Do you add in slightly more water when you cook brown rice in electric rice cooker?

Do you add in slightly more water when you cook brown rice in electric rice cooker?

it'd be that babe..( rice : water = 1:2) and try "jusmine brown rice"

but for more palatable... maybe u mix white:brown = 1:1 your cooked rice will be soft ..

plain brown is nightmare for me .. :o

Edited by BambinA

ewww.... to late for edit :o

@ladyinred..if you want to use same amount of water that u cook white rice

so u have to soak brown rice with water atleast 30 mins before cook

if you use .rice : water = 1:2 and try "jusmine brown rice" >> no need to soak

Thank you Bambina for your educated replies - most informative. I use a brown basmati which is excellent. Regarding the water, I too, when cooking white use 2:1 ration, steam it and it's perfect. However, with the brown I use far too much water, give a fast simmer, when cooked drain it and then rince it in boiling water as it has loads of 'scum' sitting on top. It does taste fab and if it's so good for you, better still.

So white rice is just more processed to make it white?

Edited by suegha

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i asked a woman that runs a place in Hua Hin why brown rice was hard to get at restaurants ... she simply said brown rice is what they fed pigs.

This sounds like a waste of good food! Surely there are cheaper things to feed pigs?

Nutrition Chart

Brown Rice/1 cup cooked

Calories 217

Total fat (g) 1.8

Saturated fat (g) 0.4

Dietary fiber (g) 3.5

Protein (g) 5

Carbohydrate (g) 45

Cholesterol (mg) 0

Sodium (mg) 10

Niacin (mg) 3

Vitamin B6 (mg) 0.3

Manganese (mg) 1.8

Magnesium (mg) 84

Phosphorus (mg) 162

Selenium (mcg) 19

White Rice/1 cup cooked

Calories 205

Total fat (g) 0.4

Saturated fat (g) 0.1

Dietary fiber (g) 0.6

Protein (g) 4

Carbohydrate (g) 45

Cholesterol (mg) 0

Sodium (mg) 2

Thiamin (mg) 0.3

Folate (mcg) 92

Manganese (mg) 0.8

Selenium (mcg) 12

So, basically, white rice is as good, if not better, for you than brown rice??? Is that what this says? Can my eyes be right??!!!

Nutrition Chart

Brown Rice/1 cup cooked

Calories 217

Total fat (g) 1.8

Saturated fat (g) 0.4

Dietary fiber (g) 3.5

Protein (g) 5

Carbohydrate (g) 45

Cholesterol (mg) 0

Sodium (mg) 10

Niacin (mg) 3

Vitamin B6 (mg) 0.3

Manganese (mg) 1.8

Magnesium (mg) 84

Phosphorus (mg) 162

Selenium (mcg) 19

White Rice/1 cup cooked

Calories 205

Total fat (g) 0.4

Saturated fat (g) 0.1

Dietary fiber (g) 0.6

Protein (g) 4

Carbohydrate (g) 45

Cholesterol (mg) 0

Sodium (mg) 2

Thiamin (mg) 0.3

Folate (mcg) 92

Manganese (mg) 0.8

Selenium (mcg) 12

So, basically, white rice is as good, if not better, for you than brown rice??? Is that what this says? Can my eyes be right??!!!

Does seem to be the case, however, depends on how you view nutrients! Brown rice sure has more dietry fiber, and that's very important. The brown basmati I use is for a different taste now and again. Just like I sometimes use cous-cous! For a change...

brown rice foisted on the unsuspecting is the original 'politically correct' device concocted by dykes and their minions...a couple of slices of toast in the morning is all one needs in the way of daily dietary fiber. The entire world eats white polished rice and certainly no one needs the extra fuel expense and the associated environmental damage of boiling unpolished rice.

Do the world a favor and SHOOT whomever gets in yer face with a bag of brown rice...they deserve no less...

brown rice foisted on the unsuspecting is the original 'politically correct' device concocted by dykes and their minions...a couple of slices of toast in the morning is all one needs in the way of daily dietary fiber. The entire world eats white polished rice and certainly no one needs the extra fuel expense and the associated environmental damage of boiling unpolished rice.

Do the world a favor and SHOOT whomever gets in yer face with a bag of brown rice...they deserve no less...

So, does that mean you don't like brown rice?

So, does that mean you don't like brown rice?

well...you know, it tastes OK but wouldn't do much for a good khao pad moo...

it's just that 30+ years ago it was VERY un-PC to eat white rice...for all the wrong reasons.

hmm a bigot and ill-informed! Good for you on both points!

:o

hmm a bigot and ill-informed! Good for you on both points!

:o

sheesh...a brown rice bigot...what next? ( a new thaivisa acronym?...brb = brown rice bigot!)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I think one of the things that some nutritionist like about brown rice is that it has a lower glycemic index (carb content absorbed slower).

"Brown rice also has a much shorter shelf life, especially in the warm tropics. The oils in the rice bran/germ will go rancid, so the bran and germ are removed. "

This guy doesnt know really why exactly but is on the right track for sure.

Asians (and most people in general) dont have a clue about taking care of food properly.

The rice is racid if its in whole form as it must be kept cool and not possibe in the tropical heat.

So the oil in the brown rice is rancid and thus not healthy to eat.

Also the fiber is not really healthy for the human gut either.

So white rice is actually a better choice and why I think the Asians go for it even though they dont really know why.

Only if one could find organic white rice! that would be the best I think!

Edited by ayakiawe

i asked a woman that runs a place in Hua Hin why brown rice was hard to get at restaurants ... she simply said brown rice is what they fed pigs.

They feed the milled outer bran to the pigs, the by-product from milling, and not brown rice. Most villages have at least one family running a small rice mill operation.

there are bleaching methodes (also for wheat), but I am not sure which country uses them, if it is still used at all.

As the brown rice is in the supermarket someone eats it. My staff does not eat it, too hard. I cooked it once longer, it was nearly creame and not rice anymore and they still told too hard.....

As far as I know, white rice is milled much more to remove the outer layers, unfortunately this is where a lot of the good nutrients are stored.

Just to make sure no one gets anything too healthy it may also be bleached to make it look nice (unsure about this).