Brown Rice V White Rice

suegha

Brown rice is increasingly popular among Thai trendies but I think that, as in the west, it's more about fashion than about nutrition. I've noticed that a few upscale Thai restaurants around the country now serve rice that's a blend of polished and unpolished, ratio of about 2 (white) to 1 (brown).

Traditional Thai cuisine has a huge amount of roughage in it, they hardly mean the minimal extra fibre contained in brown rice. Most Thais eat raw leafy vegetables, both stems and leaves, with each meal, and munch on at least some of the woody lemongrass and galangal used to season Thai soups. Not to mention the regular consumption of bamboo shoots, which are very high in fibre.

The long shelf life is, I think, the primary factor, historically speaking, for the traditional preference of milled vs unmilled rice. Of course since that's what Thais are used to, they have also developed a taste preference for it.

• 2 weeks later...

White rice has a higher vibration than brown, that's the esoteric reason it is preferred by those who know.

The red rice tastes really good, and some varieties of wild rice have beneficial vibs for some people, specially ungrounded city-folks.

Adda small amount of black to your white rice (organic is best)for a balancing, uplifting effect.

• 4 years later...

here are the facts:

most brown rice is rancid

the oils go off as its not stored properly(tropics come on folks)

dietery fiber like rice husk is not healthy period

if u read the current cutting edge info u find its acutally not healthy as u think and causes cancer

even if the brown rice isnt rancid ... after you cook the rice (cooked oil) are not healthy for the body

and cause so many problems u dont want to know

better to buy organic white rice... cook it... let it cool down and then....pour a raw organic healthy virgin oil on top of it like oilve oil or coconut oil

thats the story in a nut shell

if you hear anything else then this on the subject....you know now they dont know what they are talking about and just telling you some BS that some BS doctor wrote

the glycemic index argument militates in favor of brown rice fer us diabetics...I even bought sum of the local stuff and tried it; not bad with soy sauce...

of all the varieties of white rice thai jasmine rice is offa the index, something like 115...basmati is the best around 65...

an old thread...interesting to see who has emerged as supporters of traditional elites...the bigot accusation is now certainly on the other foot... :)

there are sum nice thai leafy veges that are full of fiber...stir fry with pork and big mama sauce(de boddil wid de thai big mama on de label)...also can get broccoli and cauli even in the market here in our little town; just steam and then toss with manao juice and olive oil for a nice salad...

if yer over 50 a colonoscopy is good fer one's peace of mind...yew can then play the video fer yer friends while tucking into the high fiber foods... :)

I eat huge amounts of fruit and veg Toots, a little bit of meat and "just enough" carbs.

Every time things get "a bit slow down below" I cook up a smoking hot Thai red chicken curry and a pot of brown rice.

Works every time.

All the brown rice I buy is vacuum packed... never noticed any rancidity.

• 2 weeks later...

All the brown rice I buy is vacuum packed... never noticed any rancidity.

The same for the red rice ("cargo rice") which is my favorite. Always buy it

vacuum packed and keep it in a porcelain jar with a lid after opening it.

Never went rancid.

I noticed the thai taco stand lady on patong beach road serves thai food. she has delicious inexpensive rice dishes and she uses thai jasmine white rice, she has steamed and fried rice dishes with white thai jasimine rice. man they taste good and so inexpensive. :)