Thaksin's Private Plane Damaged

sriracha john

PM Forced To Fly Commercial

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's arrival in Malaysia for a regional summit was less triumphal than planned yesterday _ his luxury official plane was damaged shortly before the scheduled take-off. Mr Thaksin was forced to switch to a commercial Thai Airways International aircraft.

The front door of the Airbus A-319, popularly known as Air Force One, was accidentally struck by a boarding bridge and could not be opened, a ground service official said.

The accident occurred about noon when the aircraft was parked on the tarmac waiting for the prime minister and his 50-member entourage, including Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, who were heading for the summit of Southeast Asian leaders in Malaysia.

A grim-faced Mr Thaksin refused to speak to reporters as he later boarded the THAI Airways A-300 Airbus.

:o:D

or accidentally catch fire, like that TG-737 flight he was due to catch, just after he was first elected. Fortunately the FBI (?) confirmed that is was just an accident - and nothing personal

I was at the airport when this happened and I saw the damaged aircraft.

The Official line was that the aircraft caught fire during refueling.

A fuel fire would have started around the fuel tanks (under the fusilage and wings) and would have burned until the aircraft was completely gone.

The damaged I witnessed was a bl00dy big hole in the front upper starboard passagenger section.

Very consistant with something 'happening' in the luggage compartment of the fist class section....

The 'accident occurred at a time the aircraft was scheduled to be airborn, but the flight had been delayed by the late arrival of the CEO.

Oddly that ties up with the first reports of a bomb which were very quickly hushed up.

I'd very much rather the CEO did fly on his aircraft, I have no desire to become collataral damage...

Airbus A-319-115CJ  or Thailand - Air Force Airbus A319-115X, B.L15 ( บ.ล๑๕  1), C/n 1908 delivered Aug-04

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php

More detailed link

As I know sweet FA about modern aircraft I stand corrected Lomatopo :o

Can anyone tell me why the Prime Minister of a third world country, indeed a legend in his own lunchtime, needs his very own expensive to buy and expensive to maintain personal jet?

Can anyone tell me why the Prime Minister of a third world country, indeed a legend in his own lunchtime, needs his very own expensive to buy and expensive to maintain personal jet?

The same reason why any Prime Minister or President would.

:o

Airbus A-319-115CJ  or Thailand - Air Force Airbus A319-115X, B.L15 ( บ.ล๑๕  1), C/n 1908 delivered Aug-04

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php

More detailed link

As I know sweet FA about modern aircraft I stand corrected Lomatopo :o

some answers might be obtained through:

Thai Tax Dollars Squandered Thread

or

Ego Maniac Exposed Thread

or

I'm Mr. Big And Do Whatever I Want So Screw OFF Thread

How much did it cost to buy that plane Heng? How much does it cost to maintain it? Can you think of better ways to spend the money, like making a serious attempt at alleviating poverty, or improving the poor education system?

It's status symbol, face, call it what you like, paid for at the expence of far worthier causes. You could say the same about the real airforce 1, but would the cost saving have the same impact on the economy? Tony Blair, I think slightly more important than Mr T in the grand scheme of things, uses an RAF plane, which is used for other purposes when he doesn't need it. Doesn't the Thai airforce have any VIP planes he can use?

How much did it cost to buy that plane Heng? How much does it cost to maintain it? Can you think of better ways to spend the money, like making a serious attempt at alleviating poverty, or improving the poor education system?

The plane cost less than what some "first world" countries spend PER DAY (and by some accounts several hours) in ongoing wars, and I guarantee you that the PM's planes will cause much fewer innocent deaths. If you can think of better ways to spend that money, I'd be happy to exchange some ideas with you.

:D

Most of those first world countries can absorb the cost of wars better than Thailand can absorb the cost of thaiforce 1.  As for your final 2 sentences, read my last post, there's a couple of ideas there.

I don't think they can. But that's just my opinion. Wars have a way of creating ongoing expenses, sometimes creating new wars, new generations of revolutionaries and children soldiers, new causes to fight against. Say like generations of Vietnamese refugees still living off the US gov't even though that war ended 25 30 years ago.

For myself, if it's an option between going to war this weekend and picking up a G IV, I'd much rather go jet shopping. In the end, I'm helping mankind (mostly myself) a lot more than I'm hurting it (not that I really care).

FYI

THE AIRCRAFT COST EVALUATOR 2005

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDICATED VARIABLE COSTS - Per Hour

Airbus CJ and B 737-200 (RTAF operated transport jets)

Fuel (1) 2,124.30 3,040.95

Fuel Additives 0.00 0.00

Lubricants 0.00 0.00

Maintenance Labor (2) 198.24 413.28

Parts Airframe/Eng/Avion (3) 68.11 116.27

Engine Restoration (4) 372.64 440.64

Thrust Reverser Overhaul 12.00 12.00

Propeller Overhaul 0.00 0.00

APU Overhaul 31.99 40.95

Dynamic Comp/Life Ltd Parts 0.00 0.00

Misc Exp. - Landing/Parking 137.32 96.53

- Crew Expenses 140.00 140.00

- Supplies/Catering 90.00 90.00

- Other 0.00 0.00

Fractional Cost/Hour + Tax 0.00 0.00

Total Variable Cost/Flt. Hour 3,174.60 4,390.62

Average Speed-Kts. (5) 600-nm trip 404 379

Cost per Nautical Mile 7.86 11.58

FOOTNOTES-$ Size of Operation: 1 - 2 Aircraft Database: Spring 2005

Type of Operation: Corporate Corporate

1 /Fuel Cost 2.91 2.91

Gallons/Hour BlkFuel/FltTime+15% 730 1045

2 /Maint. Labor Cost/Hour 84.00 84.00

Maint. Hours/Flight Hours 2.36 4.92

Model Year New New 1988

3 /Incl. Engine Parts Cost No No

Engine Model IAE V2545-A5 JT 8D-9

4 /Overhaul Cost Source JSSI Comp04 Estimated Estimated

5 /Block Speed Source Mftr Data Mftr Data Oper Exper

6 /Crew Salary Source 04 NBAA Estimated 04 NBAA

Number of Crew 2 2

7 /Insured Hull Value 47,000,000 6,240,000

Hull Insurance Rate (%) 0.32 3.00

8 /Modernization 10 Yr Avg 10 Yr Avg

9 /Refurbish Labor Hrs/Seat 105 105

10/Comp. Mx Program Source MxManager MxManager

11/Weather Service Source Typical Typical

12/ Depreciation Rate 10% per yr 10% per yr

13/Market Depr % / Year 3 3

AIRBUS INDUSTRIE

A319CJ Purchase price(s)

2001 US$38.9m

2002 US$39.8m

2003 US$40.7m

2004 US$41.6m

2005 US$42.5m

They are averaged figures based on the high and low list prices published by the manufacturers. The prices vary in function of the configuration, engines, avionics, special features, options included in the final airplane and the quantity ordered. Typical discounts on these list prices are from 5 to 15%.

I was told the aircraft and trading 2 rotors (Pumas) was around US$25m (net). Back to basic interior ( like your first or entry level set of furniture).

A little OT, but maybe relevant if you fly on Airbuses. Some years ago I worked as a contractor for a UK 'defence' company. One of their jobs was to maintain the computers which controlled the thrust motors/actions on Airbus planes. Every 10,000 flying hours (or whatever), the computer and associated mechanics was sent to this company for testing.

I was told to perform these tests on several Airbus assemblies, following a test routine that had past/fail criteria.

After testing these units, I reported back to my boss that they were out-of-spec, and therefore had failed the tests.

My boss, an Indian fellow, looked at my test results, and then signed off each assembly as 100% fit for use!!!

So, maybe it's not wise to fly on Airbus planes :o

A little OT, but maybe relevant if you fly on Airbuses.  Some years ago I worked as a contractor for a UK 'defence' company.  One of their jobs was to maintain the computers which controlled the thrust motors/actions on Airbus planes.  Every 10,000 flying hours (or whatever), the computer and associated mechanics was sent to this company for testing.

I was told to perform these tests on several Airbus assemblies, following a test routine that had past/fail criteria.

After testing these units, I reported back to my boss that they were out-of-spec, and therefore had failed the tests.

My boss, an Indian fellow, looked at my test results, and then signed off each assembly as 100% fit for use!!!

So, maybe it's not wise to fly on Airbus planes :o

The only thrust reverser caused accident in Thai history was on a Boeing 767. Maybe we should all panic over one incident and walk.

cv

In the end, I'm helping mankind (mostly myself) a lot more than I'm hurting it (not that I really care). 

A post that highlights why Thailand will remain a 3rd world country indefinitely...

When the elite or pseudo-elite realize there are more important things for a nation to progress that might involve a bit of personal sacrifice, that is when Thailand can legitimately enter 2nd world country status. Until then, it will be relegated to an economic status only slightly higher than that of Laos.

but then.... that is what the elite want... no change for themselves or the country.

In the end, I'm helping mankind (mostly myself) a lot more than I'm hurting it (not that I really care).  

A post that highlights why Thailand will remain a 3rd world country indefinitely...

When the elite or pseudo-elite realize there are more important things for a nation to progress that might involve a bit of personal sacrifice, that is when Thailand can legitimately enter 2nd world country status. Until then, it will be relegated to an economic status only slightly higher than that of Laos.

but then.... that is what the elite want... no change for themselves or the country.

A post about a comparison between purchasing a private aircraft and going to war. Followed by a post demonstrating the ability to take things out of context.

Change is more than welcome. Unfortunately for the whinger class though, change will help less than you think.

Maybe they just want a different model than the "Western Civilization" type ?

What real progress does that change bring ? more DVD players, cars, poverty, social divide ?