Deputy PM Chalerm Files More Police Complaints Over 'Drunk' Allegation

webfact

Newspapers being sued for reporting a politician's comments? I would suggest if K.C. is so sensitive he ought to find another line of work. No one forced him to be politician and there are plenty who will happily take his place.

I would - I hear the pay is rather good.....

I am reliably told that if you want to make serious money in Thailand, it is to be found in class actions for libel cases. Apparently Libel and defamation is taken more seriously here than anywhere else, including the US. A successful (note that word) class action would see a handsome payout for the plaintiff.

I hope the court will summon Chalerm to take a blood test to prove one and for all.

After five days on the wagon wouldn't the alcohol content of his blood be negligible? It would however show any damage or malfunction of his liver and kidneys. Alcohol destroys brain cells too, which might explain a thing or two.

• Like 1

Is this guy really that stupid...? challenge them to do a what...? What good will that do...? BARF....drunk.gif

Anyone remember when US Presidential candidate Gary Hart dared the newsies to find dirt on him ?

Does the name Monkey Business ring any bells

Aah, the sweet smell of hubris and schadenfreude go so well together.

The forum anti-coup democracy lovers who supported Pheu Thai have been silent regarding this news, except for geriactrickid in the other thread. Well are you still happy with the outcome of the election? Do we have more democracy and freedom of speech than before the election?

• Like 1

Chalerm denies press intimidation

The Nation

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung on Thursday ruled out the concern that he was trying to gag the press in connection with reports on his alleged drunkenness at the last Friday's parliamentary session.

"I have targetted seven newspapers in order to enlist them as witnesses for libel involving three Democrats," he said.

Chalerm said the Thai Journalists Association should not construe his legal move as an attempt to intimidate the press. He said he was trying to protect his reputation without any intent to violate the press freedom.

The reason to target the seven newspapers in the legal proceedings was to seek a confirmation that the three Democrats had actually defamed him via their press interviews, he said.

"Without the testimonies from media professionals confirming the interviews, the three could just deny making the remarks," he said.

Last week Chalerm dispatched his lawyers to file a complaint at Samae Dam police station raising defamation charges against seven newspapers and three Democrats, Boonyod Sooktinthai, Rangsima Rodrasamee and Thepthai Senpong.

The Democrats made remarks on and off the House floor accusing Chalerm of being drunk during the charter debate. Chalerm initially singled out four newspapers for spreading libellous remarks. He subsequently targetted three additional newspapers.

The seven newspapers are Thai Rath, Thai Post, Naew Na, Siam Rath, Krungthep Turakij, Kom Chad Luek and ASTV Phujadkarn.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-01

DPM Chalerm shows the press medical certificate for ear infection leading to him being unsteady on his feet during Fri's parliament session /TANN

So how much did he pay the doctor for it, or did his two boys intimidate him instead? Ol' doc left out the details of the shakes and alcoholic seizures huh? Can't believe a thing this man shows or says, he's never done anything remotely honest. Just look how he conducts himself.

i had to laugh when Sunai, a stalwart Thaksin supporter, tried to apologise to the House for Chalerm's behaviour and play down the situation, only for Chalerm to turn on him and castigate him for apologizing when none was necessary!

DPM Chalerm shows the press medical certificate for ear infection leading to him being unsteady on his feet during Fri's parliament session /TANN

Is that the same kind of medical certificate that I overpay 100 THB to get for my drivers license renewal ?, nuff said

Is that the same kind of medical certificate that I overpay 100 THB to get for my drivers license renewal ?, nuff said

So I guess during next Songkran the main reason for accidents will be driving with ear infection. Dear Khun Chalerm, you can stop digging. It is deep enough.

I am reminded of when Thaksin sued a certain newspaper for reporting that there were cracks in the runway of the new airport. Chalerm is attempting to follow his master's lead and financially intimidate when a situation is seen to escape his control. The fact that he is an idiot (a prime requirement for being a Thaksin minister and thereby not providing a threat) is here a liability but the show goes on.

• Like 1

Although drunk as a monkey, the DPM did manage to attend parliament despite a social engagement important to him. Does anybody have a figure for the percentage of sitting hours attended by the PM? Any debates? Questions without notice?

Although drunk as a monkey, the DPM did manage to attend parliament despite a social engagement important to him. Does anybody have a figure for the percentage of sitting hours attended by the PM? Any debates? Questions without notice?

do you?

do you?

Sounds like this should be a matter for the transparent public record, so all Thais can check on the attendance record, if not the effectiveness, of their elected members.

I'm not in the habit of asking for information which I already have; but as an estimate - approaching SFA.

oh really?

seemed liked that's exactly what you were intending to ask for...

SFA is my unconfirmed opinion, and I haven't been able to confirm it - but I WOULD like to. Do you have a data source, or just a similar opinion?

I'm not in the habit of asking for information which I already have; but as an estimate - approaching SFA.

oh really?

seemed liked that's exactly what you were intending to ask for...

SFA is my unconfirmed opinion, and I haven't been able to confirm it - but I WOULD like to. Do you have a data source, or just a similar opinion?

no, i'm afraid i don't... sorry

just seemed like it wasn't really a question and you had already made your mind up... or maybe that's just complete fantasy on my part, you tell me...

For 200 Baht I can get a doctor here to sign off that, though male I've had twelve kids already. That's why you don't see toomany Thai doctors in the West.