Flood-Hit Japanese Firms May Quit Thailand: Survey

webfact

This is a serious matter for the government to address, even 1% is to much, one wonders what can be done , these estates attract very favorable terms from the government, probably putting them on a higher elevation to the flood plain would help , but the damage has been done, just stated the bleedin obvious again, have to stop that.cowboy.gif

A factory owner friend from Pathum Thani told me a month ago that in his industrial estate, which didn't flood, roughly 30% of tenants discontinued their contracts in the immediate aftermath of the floods (November).

I'm sure many companies have been looking for a good excuse to pack up and leave the country. Doesn't surprise me at all to hear this news.

I wouldn't want to try to run a business here for any amount of money. It just seems like endless headaches. Kudos to those who can do it.

Of the Japanese companies remaining in Thailand, 99% will be operational after June.

Just in time for more rain.

They are not

How many screw ups this government can do before Thai people wake up and do something about them, mismanagement of water system causing flood, salary increase during the economic down turn only for political purpose, etc. etc.

They will never "wake up" because that would mean they would have to question all the poo yais, which would result in massive loss of face for everyone.

There is a reason the term "mai pen rai" was created.

I've recently had a lot of trouble getting parts for my Honda motorcycle (I waited 3 weeks). Does anyone know if the Honda bike factory will stay closed. If so, all you Honda owners might want to think about selling your vehicle soon.

I have had trouble getting part from a Honda dealer prior to the flood. If you go to a local bike shop, they can get them quickly.

A Thai I know owns a company that builds parts for a large Japanese camera maker. He was quite bluntly told to relocate his factory out of the flooded area or he would loose his contract to supply. Reading between the lines then, this camera maker doesn't believe a word the Thai government is saying about future flood mitigation measures. Rightly so IMHO.

You may all wish to consider about your intention to buy a Honda car here in Thailand. Having just "altered" the front of my gf's Honda City on some concrete road markers, we have been informed that it will be at least a month before Honda main dealer in Korat, will be able to get parts for repair..... Her son, has now been waiting 2 months for spares to repair his civic; and he is in the south of the country. ...worrying !

Good, many of the companies are coming to Rayong. Let's face it the government cannot guarantee anything.

I'm betting more than a few are eyeballing Burma right now also, although the Burmese don't particularly like or trust the Japanese, jobs are jobs needed there.

A factory owner friend from Pathum Thani told me a month ago that in his industrial estate, which didn't flood, roughly 30% of tenants discontinued their contracts in the immediate aftermath of the floods (November).

A number likely much closer to the reality.

I would agree.

Given that only 366 of 1345 responded (27%) and the likelihood that many of those that did not respond did so because the are relocating makes this number highly suspect.

It feels like propaganda to obscure the reality and comfort any Japanese firms on the fence or considering.

I met an engineer from a very well know company who said he's been instructed to start looking at alternatives. Not good for Thailand.

I met an engineer from a very well know company who said he's been instructed to start looking at alternatives. Not good for Thailand.

Not that I wish ill to the Thai people, after all I'm married to one, but how bad does it have to get before the baht drops?

Besides all the tragedy caused by the flood. I find it quite ironic that after decades of bashing all westeners for anything that went wrong in the country, they finally find out that they need them?

. . . very good point with one exception . . . Japan isn't a western country wai.gif