Locked Us I-Phone

Scaliwags66

Has anyone dealt with a locked US I-phone over here in Thailand? I am hesitant to unlock or "jailbreak" mine so I can use a local sim card as I have heard it may jeopardize the integrity of the phone. Anyone dealt with this or have other alternatives that may make the locked US phone work over here? Thanks guys!!!

I'm involved with the dev team and in know way does a jailbreak jeopardize your phone. Have 2 options pay the provider in the U.S and unlock it. Or jailbreak and either utilize a software unlock or a sim imposter depending on what baseband you have ;)

I had Verizon unlock my iPhone 4s before I went to Thailand. Used an AIS sim (had to physically cut it down to fit) and once "activated" at a wi-fi stop, all was well. See youtube or google for instructions.

Worked very well. Coming back, put my original sim back in and with some wi-fi access, it was fully back to normal.

I recently used this website to Unlock my BB and a friends Iphone: http://www.unlockingshop.co.uk/

Chose it due to the reviews I found on the internet and the price...charged 1 pound ($3.15USD) each.

Verizon wanted to charge me about $100 just for my BB, even though they were the ones that locked it after I took it to them and signed up for service (they lost a customer for life!).

The guy I dealt with, and just guessing he is the owner, was Darren.

Had problems with my BB, but he was very helpful thru the whole process even though the problem was with the settings in my phone.

Jail breaking is easy enough, I wouldn't worry about it. I jailbroke my own phone after doing a little bit of internet reasearch.

I've had my iPhone4 jailbroken for a year now. I've restored it 2 times now so that I can update the operating system (Now IOS 5), and re-jail broke the phone (just make sure you jail break it with an unteathered jailbreak) - Really no hassles.

I travel around and use local (cut down) sims in each country I'm in. No hassles whatsoever.

Thanks guys for the input. One concern is that I am traveling light from the US, already in Thailand, and didn't bring my laptop with me. If I jailbreak, will I need to restore it afterwards? If so, I will lose a lot of my information on it since I cant restore since I'm abroad. I am just concerned since the phone basically is my computer for my travels...which may go on for sometime. Thanks again very one for your insights.

I'm involved with the dev team and in know way does a jailbreak jeopardize your phone. Have 2 options pay the provider in the U.S and unlock it. Or jailbreak and either utilize a software unlock or a sim imposter depending on what baseband you have wink.png

Interesting.

I bought a 3gs around three years ago in California. A T & T would not consider unlocking the phone. I paid full price for the phone $659. Apple told me if I ever had the phone unlocked I couldn't bring it to them for any necessary repair not to mention the warranty automatically becoming burnt toast. They claimed they'd be able to detect it's been unlocked even it I restored it.

IN Thailand the BKK repair center said they would't repair the phone because it wasn't bought in Thailand.

True and Dtac won't touch it for repairs.

After being dropped one too many times, I'd like to have it serviced to repair a static noise its developed. it's driving my friends crazy when I talk with them.

Edited by watcharacters

Found this re: unlocking a Verizon iPhone 4S:

“It is our standard unlock policy for all Global Phones. You have to have been a customer for 60 days and in good standing (meaning your bill is current) and the phone you want to unlock must be on our network at the time of the request. You call Verizon Wireless before you leave the country and we unlock the SIM. We will honor one unlock every 10 months.” — Brenda Raney, Verizon Wireless Public Relations

The only problem with that is I think it is for his wife to Use in Thailand. He would therefore still have to pay for phone service in the US for the whole contract length so getting the Unlocked one from Apple would probably be the cheaper way to go. I did like that article though. Good for Verizon to do that. Helps when people travel a lot. Nice move on their part.

I'm involved with the dev team and in know way does a jailbreak jeopardize your phone. Have 2 options pay the provider in the U.S and unlock it. Or jailbreak and either utilize a software unlock or a sim imposter depending on what baseband you have wink.png

Interesting.

I bought a 3gs around three years ago in California. A T & T would not consider unlocking the phone. I paid full price for the phone $659. Apple told me if I ever had the phone unlocked I couldn't bring it to them for any necessary repair not to mention the warranty automatically becoming burnt toast. They claimed they'd be able to detect it's been unlocked even it I restored it.

IN Thailand the BKK repair center said they would't repair the phone because it wasn't bought in Thailand.

True and Dtac won't touch it for repairs.

After being dropped one too many times, I'd like to have it serviced to repair a static noise its developed. it's driving my friends crazy when I talk with them.

They sell the 3gs's factory unlocked now at Apple for 375. Just get a new phone.

^ indeed - no point in repairing a 3GS at this point

There's lots of little shops in the mall that repair iPhones independently by the way. But I don't know if you would be able to find one that cared enough to fix something as subtle as "call quality". This being Thailand they'll probably send you away telling you no problem it works.

Interesting about the Verizon unlock policy - good on them. AT&T ... no way.

“It is our standard unlock policy for all Global Phones. You have to have been a customer for 60 days and in good standing (meaning your bill is current) and the phone you want to unlock must be on our network at the time of the request. You call Verizon Wireless before you leave the country and we unlock the SIM. We will honor one unlock every 10 months.” — Brenda Raney, Verizon Wireless Public Relations

Interesting. I had though Verizon uses a CDMA system not GSM. I've had Verizon phones for many years and they don't have SIM cards. So this is a very curios post from what I know about Verizon. My Verizon phone, which is a Samsung will work here on CDMA but the roaming charges are outrageous!

Interesting. I had though Verizon uses a CDMA system not GSM. I've had Verizon phones for many years and they don't have SIM cards. So this is a very curios post from what I know about Verizon. My Verizon phone, which is a Samsung will work here on CDMA but the roaming charges are outrageous!

I am pretty sure the current iPhone model, the 4S comes in just one version (but maybe two colors), so now all iPhone 4S'es come as GSM and CDMA. Verizon iPhones use CDMA, at least in the U.S. Seems nutty to me but what do I know.

Cellular and Wireless

World phone

UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty sure the current iPhone model, the 4S comes in just one version (but maybe two colors), so now all iPhone 4S'es come as GSM and CDMA. Verizon iPhones use CDMA, at least in the U.S. Seems nutty to me but what do I know.

Cellular and Wireless

World phone

UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)

The unlocked iPhones from the US are GSM only unless you buy it from Verizon. This is from the US Apple Store: The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.