Xbox 360

phazey

Saw some of the US 360 games at MBK but they have no consoles

They said they will have the Japanese version this week

I am going to continue to wait till the New Year, when they will have the US ones (hopefully at not too inflated a price)

Beware if you get a Japanese console - most (though not all) US games are region locked so will only play on a US 360

There are Dozens of Xbox 360s in MBK this afternoon - All Japanese ones of course! Microsoft's new console sounds like it has been a big flop over in Japan

Price seemed to be around 30k with 2 games

They told me they have just got a region chip which lets you switch from Japanese to US and are fitting this right now.

I will probably go back to MBK tonight and see if this is indeed true. I'll get them to test it in front of me with games I know to be region encoded (Gotham 3, Perfect Dark 2 etc)

Edited by Ian_B

There are Dozens of Xbox 360s in MBK this afternoon - All Japanese ones of course! Microsoft's new console sounds like it has been a big flop over in Japan

Price seemed to be around 30k with 2 games

They told me they have just got a region chip which lets you switch from Japanese to US and are fitting this right now.

I will probably go back to MBK tonight and see if this is indeed true. I'll get them to test it in front of me with games I know to be region encoded (Gotham 3, Perfect Dark 2 etc)

Let us know how you get on......I'm very interested in getting one of these :o Do you happen to know which pack they sell? With or without the HDD?

Cheers

I never went back to MBK this evening

Have managed to get a UK 360 premium pack from a mate in the know

Flying back to UK tomorrow for the holidays and will collect it there

Did some checking online but found nothing about a region chip for 360... suspect they were talking <deleted>

I have been looking around the mod chip scene alos with no response yet (though some hints and rumours)..

Please post anything you can find out about solving region issues and 'backups'...

From what I have read it seems like modding the 360 will not be so easy and xbox live may get locked out.. Though how much I will be able to use xbox live on this internet system is a question also..

• 2 weeks later...

Modchip is about 2-3 months for a decent one they reckon.

I believe they solved the LOCKout on xbox live for the original xbox consoles mods a long time ago....so that should not really be too much of a problem with the 360.

With regard to the machine itself got mine in MBK on christmas eve.

Shop around (Best deal is the shop near macdonalds on the cinema floor).

Managed to get the console, Call of Duty 2, Ridge Racer 6 and Perfect Dark Zero (Limited edition version) and a 500w transformer all for 30,250.

D.

Price as i said above is 30,250 after some bargaining.

The lockout if i recall in the EARLY days of the modchip for the xbox was first a mechanical switch to disable the modchip when you wanted to play on xbox live. The second generation was a Press certain buttons on teh controller during boot up to disable the modchip.

I am not sure on the most recent modchips for the xbox but i would imagine it is automatic for disable or some other method.

I would read www.xbox-scene.com forums for more information the modchip front for xbox and xbox 360.

Dekka - sorry I missed that blurb about the price - was focused more on what you got. Apparently in Japan, X Boxes are just sitting there. Dekka - is this modded 360 compatible with older X Box games? I'm assuming you don't have X Box Live now? Would really be interested to see if it works with Live.

It's better not to buy bleeding-edge consoles in Thailand. No matter where you go, the price will be heavily inflated, usually by around 100% (as you can see). It will take around half a year for the prices to come down to an acceptable level, a year to come down to prices comparable to other countries.

With the current prices, I think it would be cheaper to buy a ticket to some other Asian country and buy it there... you'll pay the same, but get a vacation, too.

There is no Modchip available yet for the 360. So it is a matter of waiting the 2-3 months before they launch one. The shop in MBK where i purchased it also has a service department and when a modchip is released they will fit it for you.

Xbox Live works at the moment and there is a list of REGION-FREE games that currently work on a unmodded XBOX360 at www.lik-sang.com forums.

Even teh Japanese ones 80% of the releases if your Xbox360 language is set to English the games text / speech etc is in English such as Perfect Dark Zero and Ridge Racer 6....both jap games but in english.

COD2 is awesome by the way much better graphics than the pc version - connect it to a HD tv for best results - simply amazing.

I was lucky enough to have a mate who works in a UK video game shop - he saved a 360 premium for me

Will bring it back to BKK once my UK vacation is over.

360 is really great BTW

The launch line up has been excellent

Project Gotham 3 is the best of the bunch - best racing game I've ever played!

Kameo & Condemned are also brilliant games

Wonder how live will work in BKK..

For anybody interested Xbox live on the 360 works pretty well from Bangkok

Had no problems getting lag free games of Ridge Racer & Pefect Dark

Only issues were with the games not yet released in Japan. Project Gotham 3 suffered pretty bad lag - hopefully once it does get a Japanese release the lag will disappear

Was also able to purchase Xbox live points through the 360 without any problems and downloaded 6 games to the 360 - all about $10 each and all great fun!

Only problem now is getting the UK games imported!

I'm in Tokyo at the moment, and can confirm that, so far anyway, the Xbox 360 is a flop here.

i.e. Went to Akihabara on Sunday, and there were lots of shops with them in stock. (and some of the same shops could only sell you a Nintendo DS if you wanted them in Candy Pink...)

Some of the shops are even selling XBox 360s in their New Year "lucky bags". i.e. They're discounting them by selling them, with a couple of games, for just 1,000 yen more than the official RRP of the console by itself. (40,000 yen - which I think is around 15,000 baht)

Edited by bkk_mike