Thai Drivers License Renewal Question

Jayman

I have to go get my Thai drivers licenses renewed soon and I know that typically you have to bring in the residence letter from Thai Immigration. I recently got my yellow house book which obviously has my name and address in thai. I'm wondering if this will suffice for the renewal of the licenses. If I can avoid having to pay Jomtien Immigration for 2 letters (1 car and 1 motorbike) and just bring in my yellow book with copies that would be lovely.

Does anyone have experience doing this? I will be renewing at the office just outside Pattaya. I do understand that the other requirements will be to bring in my passport (with copies) and the med certs.

Jayman

The yellow tambien ban worked fine for me when I renewed my 5-year license. The gal at the LTD even asked if it was OK to put the tambien ban number on the license rather than my passport #. Fine, sez I, and guess that number will never change, not like the passport next time I get a new one.

Mike, real helpful response you provided to what I view as a legit Q. Thanks.

Wonder who said it: "The only dumb question is the one not asked."

Mac

• Like 1

As far as I recall, when I went to uprate my one-year licence to the 5-year one at Rayong, they didn't require anything except the expiring/expired licence.

Incidentally, an acquaintance who went there for his second 5-year renewal a few days ago said he had to sit through a 2-hour film demonstrating all the 'do's and dont's' of driving on roads in Thailand. He said it was like watching what happens on the roads every day. He had the impression this was a new requirement for everybody seeking renewal, no other tests required.

It would be interesting to hear if other offices are doing the same thing.

• Like 1

I am sorry if you feel this is a legit Q Mac, I am pretty positve that this is a piXX take, nobody can be that dumb and i think thats the problem with a lot of people on this forum they do not Think !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! before posting ??????

Jayman

The yellow tambien ban worked fine for me when I renewed my 5-year license. The gal at the LTD even asked if it was OK to put the tambien ban number on the license rather than my passport #. Fine, sez I, and guess that number will never change, not like the passport next time I get a new one.

Mac

Thanks Mac.. That was 100% the response I was looking for. Much appreciated. I will go in with my yellow book and report here if I have issues.

I am sorry if you feel this is a legit Q Mac, I am pretty positve that this is a piXX take, nobody can be that dumb and i think thats the problem with a lot of people on this forum they do not Think !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! before posting ??????

Yes it was a serious question. I know the yellow book is proof of residence but TIT and I wanted someone with first hand experience to relay their thoughts. Just cause I think something doesn't make it so here in LOS. Often times the Thais have it written one way and they will not think outside the box. Since a yellow house book is not very common here I wouldn't think that the license office sees many of them. They have always requested the letter from immigration so I recon that is what they are used to.

As far as I recall, when I went to uprate my one-year licence to the 5-year one at Rayong, they didn't require anything except the expiring/expired licence.

Incidentally, an acquaintance who went there for his second 5-year renewal a few days ago said he had to sit through a 2-hour film demonstrating all the 'do's and dont's' of driving on roads in Thailand. He said it was like watching what happens on the roads every day. He had the impression this was a new requirement for everybody seeking renewal, no other tests required.

I had to renew my 5 yr licence at Pattaya a few months ago. I got there a week after it expired and had to sit in the TV room and watch the traffic accidents etc, do the reaction test, the colour chart test and that was it.

The lady explained to me that had I renewed it before expiry, they just renew it. But if expired you have to do the tests.

Further to that, all licences in Thailand expire on your birthday and because I renewed mine after my birthday, it was renewed for 5yrs 11 months. Great.

• Like 1

I had to renew my 5 yr licence at Pattaya a few months ago. I got there a week after it expired and had to sit in the TV room and watch the traffic accidents etc, do the reaction test, the colour chart test and that was it.

The lady explained to me that had I renewed it before expiry, they just renew it. But if expired you have to do the tests.

Further to that, all licences in Thailand expire on your birthday and because I renewed mine after my birthday, it was renewed for 5yrs 11 months. Great.

So they gave you nearly 6 years on a 5 year license? I guess for some that could be reason to sit through the movie.

When can you get the 10y or lifetime license? I used to remember the time frames but my memory seems to have dumped the info.

Jayman

Mac

Thanks Mac.. that was the repos

Jayman

Mac

Thanks Mac.. That was 100% the response I was looking for. Much appreciated. I will go in with my yellow book and report here if I have issues.

Yes it was a serious question. I know the yellow book is proof of residence but TIT and I wanted someone with first hand experience to relay their thoughts. Just cause I think something doesn't make it so here in LOS. Often times the Thais have it written one way and they will not think outside the box. Since a yellow house book is not very common here I wouldn't think that the license office sees many of them. They have always requested the letter from immigration so I recon that is what they are used to.

I knew I needed a medical certificate for my 5-year licence, so I took along my Offshore Medical.

The Pranburi office wouldn't accept it and sent me along to a local clinic.

Five minutes and sixty baht later I have a perfectly acceptable medical certificate from a bloke who didn't even make eye contact with me.

That's a change from the policy there a couple of years ago, and shows just why its worth checking what seems to be blindingly obvious to some. Previously, farang or Thai, you had to do all the tests, watch the video, etc, regardless of whether you renewed it early or late and you didn't need a medical certificate (and a letter from Immigraton was required for proof of address, even if you had a yellow tambien baan!).

Things change, and so do staff ...

Jayman, you can only get a 5 year licence now - the lifetime licence was only available (to Thais) for a very brief period and although they are still valid if they are lost they are replaced with a 5 year icence.

• Like 1

I just ignore the negative comments and give thanks to all the positive ones. I have learned here that I can use my yellow tambien ban, should renew before my current expires, and that lifetime was never avail to me anyways. I was also given an idea where I can get the med cert for like 30thb if needed but it sounds like none are needed for the renewal.

I do very much appreciate all the recent experiences posted here. It helps to get current info out from time to time as things change and it's easier to check here than waste a day in the transpo office.

Edited by Jayman

I just ignore the negative comments and give thanks to all the positive ones. I have learned here that I can use my yellow tambien ban, should renew before my current expires, and that lifetime was never avail to me anyways. I was also given an idea where I can get the med cert for like 30thb if needed but it sounds like none are needed for the renewal.

I do very much appreciate all the recent experiences posted here. It helps to get current info out from time to time as things change and it's easier to check here than waste a day in the transpo office.

I read this topic as the question might be relevent to me in the future....

Some guys are just over agressive. Dow probably thinks he's a twit too !!

That's a change from the policy there a couple of years ago, and shows just why its worth checking what seems to be blindingly obvious to some. Previously, farang or Thai, you had to do all the tests, watch the video, etc, regardless of whether you renewed it early or late and you didn't need a medical certificate (and a letter from Immigraton was required for proof of address, even if you had a yellow tambien baan!).

Things change, and so do staff ...

Jayman, you can only get a 5 year licence now - the lifetime licence was only available (to Thais) for a very brief period and although they are still valid if they are lost they are replaced with a 5 year icence.

Actually, when I got my first Thai license it was a 5-year, never had a one year. I was told at that time had I gotten it a year earlier I could have gotten the lifetime license, so I’m not sure it was restricted to only Thai nationals.

Many provinces use different ways of going about renewal, someone living in Pattaya will know what the requirement is, that's the answer he is looking for, legit question !! YES.

You ain't going to get many friends on ear with that attitude.offtopic.gif

Many provinces use different ways of going about renewal, someone living in Pattaya will know what the requirement is, that's the answer he is looking for, legit question !! YES.

I would like to point out that I am on the blue book and before anyone say's you cant be on it I can assure you you can if you have a child. But they won't accept it for a D/L so a very valid question.

I would like to point out that I am on the blue book and before anyone say's you cant be on it I can assure you you can if you have a child. But they won't accept it for a D/L so a very valid question.

That's odd. The reason I even have a yellow book is cause I requested to be pout in our blue book since my name is in there as the father for both my kids. They told me I couldn't have a page with my name in the blue book (only the father listing for my kids) but that I could have a yellow book. So I went that route. Now I have a yellow book for the same house that my wife and kids hold a blue book for. Both the house and land are in my wife's name. I think even in the yellow book it might even say that I am not the owner.

As a point of reference might you tell us what district you are in. I'm in Nongprue.

That's odd. The reason I even have a yellow book is cause I requested to be pout in our blue book since my name is in there as the father for both my kids. They told me I couldn't have a page with my name in the blue book (only the father listing for my kids) but that I could have a yellow book. So I went that route. Now I have a yellow book for the same house that my wife and kids hold a blue book for. Both the house and land are in my wife's name. I think even in the yellow book it might even say that I am not the owner.

As a point of reference might you tell us what district you are in. I'm in Nongprue.

Getting bit off topic now but tabien baan book, blue or yellow has nothing to do with house or land ownership which is defined the title i.e. chanote. It just is a house book, a record of people registered in that house/Address.

If you have PR you get your name on the blue one, actually you need to be in there to get PR. Others it's yellow for us "aliens".

Not sure if being listed as father of child is same as "being in the book", first i hear of this. Looks like your only listed as father of the thai citizens registered in the book. Not as resident in the address like your kids and wife are. And if this is the case it can not be used as address proof for anything. Thus you were correctly issued a yellow one where you are properly registered as staying in the address.

Getting bit off topic now but tabien baan book, blue or yellow has nothing to do with house or land ownership which is defined the title i.e. chanote. It just is a house book, a record of people registered in that house/Address.

If you have PR you get your name on the blue one, actually you need to be in there to get PR. Others it's yellow for us "aliens".

Not sure if being listed as father of child is same as "being in the book", first i hear of this. Looks like your only listed as father of the thai citizens registered in the book. Not as resident in the address like your kids and wife are. And if this is the case it can not be used as address proof for anything. Thus you were correctly issued a yellow one where you are properly registered as staying in the address.

It was my understanding the tambien ban was the house registration and the chanote is the land dead. 2 separate things here in Thailand (land and house). If the foreigner owns the house (or condo) they are issued a yellow book. If a Thai owns the house then the book is Blue. I have no idea about those with PR status as I don't have this. I don't know how they are handled in the system. I can tell you that in all tambien ban they list each person registered to the house and on that same page is listed their parents. Even in my yellow book my parents are listed. Of course that doesn't mean they can use my book for anything and I never meant to imply this. I only mean that the reason I even have a yellow book is because I requested to be added to my family blue book when our 2nd child was born. At city hall they said it was no problem. When I went to the Nongprue office to actually have it done they said no way and gave me a yellow book instead. And hence, that is why I have one and now have started this thread asking if it can be used at the DL office as proof of residence to get my DL renewed.

edit: I still do not think house ownership is defined by the land deed (chanote)

just as my tambien lot (car book) defines me as the owner of my car the tambien ban defines the owner of the house.

Edited by Jayman

I made complete guide to getting and renewing a license which can be downloaded here: http://darindunn.com...versLicense.pdf

I'm sure you put some time into this but there is couple of issues in your doc that does not match with the common requirements.

1. Proof of address you have following options, Blue Book (permanent residents, Thai nationals), Yellow Book, Work Permit, Embassy Letter, Immigration Letter. These are applicable regardless of DL you applying first temp 1 year, 1 to 5 year or 5 to 5 year renewal.

2. If you have IDP from your home country or home country DL translated and certified by Embassy you do not need to take the written and drive tests as you are converting your home country DL to Thai DL. Looks like your web links were not accepted and they got you to do it from scratch as there was not embassy stamped translation or IDP available. Note that some DLT's accept English language home country DL without embassy stamps.

3. You doc seems to be Chiang Mai specific, although you don't specify what kind of visa is required. Non-immigrant is in the official requirements but some DLT's (Department of Land Transport) offices give one year temp DL without one.

4. Don't know about Chiang Mai personally but i doubt there is requirement to renew within 60 days or 90 days of expiry. Previously you had to have DL more than one year to get 5 years one so could only go from 1 to 5 years after expiry. 5 to 5 years works well if renew just after expiry and you get 6 years effectively. Not heard this has changed but again CM might have their own rules?

It was my understanding the tambien ban was the house registration and the chanote is the land dead. 2 separate things here in Thailand (land and house). If the foreigner owns the house (or condo) they are issued a yellow book. If a Thai owns the house then the book is Blue. I have no idea about those with PR status as I don't have this. I don't know how they are handled in the system. I can tell you that in all tambien ban they list each person registered to the house and on that same page is listed their parents. Even in my yellow book my parents are listed. Of course that doesn't mean they can use my book for anything and I never meant to imply this. I only mean that the reason I even have a yellow book is because I requested to be added to my family blue book when our 2nd child was born. At city hall they said it was no problem. When I went to the Nongprue office to actually have it done they said no way and gave me a yellow book instead. And hence, that is why I have one and now have started this thread asking if it can be used at the DL office as proof of residence to get my DL renewed.

edit: I still do not think house ownership is defined by the land deed (chanote)

just as my tambien lot (car book) defines me as the owner of my car the tambien ban defines the owner of the house.

Was not aware of parents being listed in the tabien baan.

However it is not linked to house ownership. Maybe title is for the land only and not house. Honestly don't know but what i know is that tabien baan does not indicate house ownership.

Foreigners owning their condo's get blue book but without their name on it. They can also get yellow book with their name. Anyone with necessary paperwork (visas's etc) can get a yellow book, i have one for house i don't own. Thais can own houses and condo's but have blank blue books.

The book is just as it is called a house book. First name is master of the house (not necessarily the owner of the house) that has power over who can stay and be registered in the address. But as said that can be anyone the owner wishes to record in the book. It does not indicate ownership of the house. Granted, even some Thais wrongly think it does but that is not the case.

But as said we are going off topic. There is several threads on this on property forum where this is explained.

For your OP, yes yellow book will be good for DL application. I use it for DL, registering vehicles in my name, opening bank accounts etc. where proof of address is required.

Edited by MJo
  • Like 1

Pattaya for the second renewal of my five year Thai Drivers license ( both motorcycle and automobile ) do I need TWO residence certificates issued by Jomtien Immigration or will one certificate suffice for two licenses ?

Speaking from past experience there (5 years ago) if you did both renewals at the same time then only 1 original with copies would work.

• Like 1

I made complete guide to getting and renewing a license which can be downloaded here: http://darindunn.com...versLicense.pdf

I'm sure you put some time into this but there is couple of issues in your doc that does not match with the common requirements.

1. Proof of address you have following options, Blue Book (permanent residents, Thai nationals), Yellow Book, Work Permit, Embassy Letter, Immigration Letter. These are applicable regardless of DL you applying first temp 1 year, 1 to 5 year or 5 to 5 year renewal.

2. If you have IDP from your home country or home country DL translated and certified by Embassy you do not need to take the written and drive tests as you are converting your home country DL to Thai DL. Looks like your web links were not accepted and they got you to do it from scratch as there was not embassy stamped translation or IDP available. Note that some DLT's accept English language home country DL without embassy stamps.

3. You doc seems to be Chiang Mai specific, although you don't specify what kind of visa is required. Non-immigrant is in the official requirements but some DLT's (Department of Land Transport) offices give one year temp DL without one.

4. Don't know about Chiang Mai personally but i doubt there is requirement to renew within 60 days or 90 days of expiry. Previously you had to have DL more than one year to get 5 years one so could only go from 1 to 5 years after expiry. 5 to 5 years works well if renew just after expiry and you get 6 years effectively. Not heard this has changed but again CM might have their own rules?

I did spend a lot of time on this document. I started writing it in 2007 and have updated it each time I have renewed as the prices and policies change. I have also personally taken many people through this process. So, I stand by my help guide as written. Of course, this is Thailand so policies and procedures may change based on the day and who is in charge during that shift. I will say though, that has not been my experience. Everyone I have walked through this process has encountered exactly what I wrote in my document.

Sorry for the late reply been off line. I live in Kamphaeng Phet. You'll all like the excuse for not allowing me to use the blue book for D/Licence. They said that I could have put my name in myself. TIT.