Transit Visa Uk

My wifes British passport has expired and she will use her Thai passport to get a transit visa to go from Heathrow to Gatwick. An airport to airport same day transit visa is required and an 11 page questionaire asking her to list all her taffic violations, visits to other countries, fathers age, all her assets and working history plus my details and numerous completely irelevant questions (over a hundred). She then has to book an interveiw ith the embassy. Only two slots available this month. She has to pay Bt2500, be fingerprinted and wait up to one month for the visa.

This is the sort of red tape one might find somewhere in a really backward country. She does not even want to visit the UK. It just so happens it is the best airfare deal for us to go to Europe via London.

This sort of thing makes the UK a laughing stock. I do not think UK leaders like the PM have any idea of the ridiculous procedures concocted by the foreign office. But he soon will have an Idea because I have the means to contact him.

(his father was my closest friend) but whether he will do anything about it is a different matter

Transiting LHW to LGW means entering the UK and this could be used to enter and illegally stay in the UK, so the same checks are valid.

If this is a problem I would suggest looking at rerouting so as to avoid transiting two different airports.

Edited by Basil B

Why not just get a new British passport, especially if she only has a Thai passport.

Work out the cost to you, with and without a British passport.

Or, just fly direct to Europe.

If she has a British passport she can go anywhere in Europe. If only a Thai passport you will then have to get a Schengen visa and a UK visa.

IMO all seems rather complicated, just get the new passport, it should take less than a month.

And what if she gets rejected on the UK transit visa? You are back to square one.

• Like 1

Who told you that a visa is required ? Thai nationals benefit from the Transit Without Visa concession (TWOV). Basically, a Thai national can transit through the UK, including changing airports, if they hold a confirmed onward booking by air, intends to depart within 24 hours, and holds a visa for the destination country ( or other documentation to confirm entry). She will be granted 24 hours in transit. You may wish to refer to this document:

http://www.ind.homeo...equirements.pdf

Before you go harassing the Prime MInister, it might be worth checking your facts.

Edited by VisasPlus
  • Like 1

Another point...

Assuming your with has had a British passport does that not mean she is a British National?

And if so is she not entitled to enter UK on a expired British passport?

Legally,yes. - see Para 3.2 on page 3 of this document:-

http://www.ukba.home...pdf?view=Binary

But - she probably wouldn't be allowed on a plane because the airline could be fined under Carrier's Liability legislation for carrying a passenger without a valid document. And she could expect to be messed around on arrival in the UK

Also, it would appear that the time required to renew her Brit passport isn't a lot different from getting a visa. Anyone who has acquired Citizenship and a passport should really make sure they renew it at the right time- no use beefing about UKBA or the Government if you don't do the simple things right.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

The OP can't even be bothered to say thank you to any of us for stopping him from make an idiot of himself by approaching the PM with this. And he has been online, on the forum, several times yesterday and today, so he must have read it all. I shan't bother responding to any of his future posts.

The OP can't even be bothered to say thank you to any of us for stopping him from make an idiot of himself by approaching the PM with this. And he has been online, on the forum, several times yesterday and today, so he must have read it all. I shan't bother responding to any of his future posts.

I did think the same myself.

It would be nice if people appreciated any help they are given, especially if it saves you time and money.

Anyway, you know what to do next time he needs help. Ignore.

Who told you that a visa is required ? Thai nationals benefit from the Transit Without Visa concession (TWOV). Basically, a Thai national can transit through the UK, including changing airports, if they hold a confirmed onward booking by air, intends to depart within 24 hours, and holds a visa for the destination country ( or other documentation to confirm entry). She will be granted 24 hours in transit. You may wish to refer to this document:

Before you go harassing the Prime MInister, it might be worth checking your facts.

Thanks for the above link. The last time I went to Ireland with my girlfriend, now wife, we went via London, and had to get a transit visa to transit between terminal 3 and terminal 1. The way I read this is that we don't have to do that now, is that correct? (She had an Irish visa, and tickets for flight a Dublin flight as well).

Thanks for the above link. The last time I went to Ireland with my girlfriend, now wife, we went via London, and had to get a transit visa to transit between terminal 3 and terminal 1. The way I read this is that we don't have to do that now, is that correct? (She had an Irish visa, and tickets for flight a Dublin flight as well).

I'm not sure why you had to do that last time. The visa regulations for transit to Ireland haven't changed in many years. This the current state of play :

National Thailand (TH) /Transit United Kingdom (GB)

Destination Ireland (Rep. of) (IE)

ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

United Kingdom (GB)

in_on_no.gif

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Passengers who may be grantedpermission by the Immigration authorities to enter the UnitedKingdom, for a stay not exceeding 24 hours.The following conditions must be complied with:- passengers hold confirmed reservations for an onward flightwithin 24 hours; and- continue to a third country; and- have no purpose in entering the United Kingdom other than topass through in transit; and- hold all documents required for the next destination..Additional Information:- There is no passport control on traffic between "Great Britain & Northern Ireland" and "Ireland (Rep. of)".

To explain a little, you actually "enter" the UK as your passport is stamped at the Flight Connection Centre at Heathrow. Your next flight (London to Dublin) is an "internal " flight ( within the Common Travel Area )

Edited by VisasPlus

I'm not sure why you had to do that last time. The visa regulations for transit to Ireland haven't changed in many years. This the current state of play :

United Kingdom (GB)

in_on_no.gif

Visa required, except for Passengers who may be grantedpermission by the Immigration authorities to enter the UnitedKingdom, for a stay not exceeding 24 hours.The following conditions must be complied with:- passengers hold confirmed reservations for an onward flightwithin 24 hours; and- continue to a third country; and- have no purpose in entering the United Kingdom other than topass through in transit; and- hold all documents required for the next destination..Additional Information:- There is no passport control on traffic between "Great Britain & Northern Ireland" and "Ireland (Rep. of)".

To explain a little, you actually "enter" the UK as your passport is stamped at the Flight Connection Centre at Heathrow. Your next flight (London to Dublin) is an "internal " flight ( within the Common Travel Area )

Just out of interest, what is stop you getting on a plane/ferry and coming back to England if there is no passport control?

United Kingdom (GB)

in_on_no.gif

Just out of interest, what is stop you getting on a plane/ferry and coming back to England if there is no passport control?

She needs a visa to enter the UK. If she enters without a visa, and she can, as you rightly state, then she would be an illegal immigrant. If intercepted, she would be refused entry, and removed ( either back to Ireland or to Thailand).

OK, thanks. Must be tempting for some to go and visit England.

Entry through the Republic of Ireland is a well tried and tested method of illegal entry. It's easy enough to fly from mainland Europe into the Republic, and then to enter the UK, although it is not as "open" as you might think.

Why not just get a new British passport, especially if she only has a Thai passport.

If she has a British passport she can go anywhere in Europe. If only a Thai passport you will then have to get a Schengen visa and a UK visa.

IMO all seems rather complicated, just get the new passport, it should take less than a month.

And what if she gets rejected on the UK transit visa? You are back to square one.

It takes too long to renew her British passport. And expensive

It would be nice if people appreciated any help they are given, especially if it saves you time and money.

My post was simply pointing out some of the ridiculous questions in the application form. So you think it is necesaary to list traffic violations and all the paces you have vitsited, your fathers age etc stc. I am quitw happy to get a transit visa but do youreally think

all the questions are necessary

It takes too long to renew her British passport. And expensive

Just looked up relevant websites:

GBP128.00 New Passport plus courier fee(special rate if using DHL) - Maximum One Month to Issue

GBP50.00 Schengen Visa

GBP52.00 UK Transit Visa (You stated THB2500) - One Month or More Maybe to get Visa, I don't know

Very little difference in cost and less paperwork.

IMO - Get New Passport - It is valid for 10 years.

My post was simply pointing out some of the ridiculous questions in the application form. So you think it is necesaary to list traffic violations and all the paces you have vitsited, your fathers age etc stc. I am quitw happy to get a transit visa but do youreally think

I understand your frustration, that is the way it is, we all have to do it if we want to travel with our Thai wife/girlfriend.

You are more fortunate than most, your wife has a British passport, maybe expired, but easy to renew.

I am just about to start again on 20 March going through the horrors again of getting a UK Visit Visa for my wife. You have to apply each time as if it were the first application heaps of proof. She only has a Thai passport.

Get a new British passport.

That is not true. Your post clearly says that your wife has to get a transit visa, and that you were going to approach the PM about it. We have told you that a transit visa is not required.

That is not true. Your post clearly says that your wife has to get a transit visa, and that you were going to approach the PM about it. We have told you that a transit visa is not required.

Whoops...................I said I wouldn't respond to any of his future posts, and then I did !

It is clear ( to me anyway) that he was talking about his wife needing a transit visa, but he is now seemingly denying that. My interest in his post now ends.

If the OP's wife has a British passport expired or not she would be allowed into the UK because by definition she has British Citizenship. The airline are likely to be the stumbling block as they will want all the i's dotted and the t's crossed!

Agree get the passport renewed!