Remote Control Toys.

richb2004

I noticed recently many shops and stalls popping up selling remote control cars, boats, planes and helicopters. I know nothing about this past time but thought it might be worth giving a try. I figured joining a club might be a good way to meet more folk and it would probably be a good laugh. Sadly I have enquired at a few of the shops and there don’t seem to be any clubs or special areas to use these things. This seems strange to me and I wonder where they are used. The guy in one shop said they are used around the villages and streets. That seems quite pathetic to me. I guess I can add this to the list of things I’d like to do but aren’t available in Thailand. I shouldn't generalize, as these activities may be available in Bangkok.

Has anyone else bothered with these toys and if so where did you use them?

I used to fly a glider in the UK, you need a gently sloping, as clear of obstacles (trees, bushes etc) as possible, hill, facing into the predominate wind, with a flattish area close by to land the plane. Anything with an engine can be flown from any clear area, just use a bit of common sense there.

I don't know if there are any clubs in Thailand, I never belonged to a club, but the people that frequented the same hill as me were always very helpful and chatty, probably the same here. If you want to do it, then do it. I spent many happy hours on the hill overlooking Shoreham airport in Sussex, and many hours repairing the ###### thing afterwards!

There is a gathering of radio control pilots in Buriram just south of town near Ban Kok Wat. They fly almost every day and I've been to watch them regularly. Very friendly bunch, like a previous poster mentioned. And the only place they buy their toys is in Bangkok. So, it seems they buy them there and then take them out to the country to play. I'm talking about the serious stuff here with petrol engines and propper radios. Not the little dinky things that works with batteries and electric motors. They are fun too though.

Until recently all RC controls were under very tight control and the only place you found clubs for flying models were military. I expect the major clubs will still be found on Army and Air Base facilities.

How do you mean 'tight control'?

I work on a oil & gas plant in north Africa. A guy built his own remote control plane and started flying it in the evenings. One evening a military vehicle pulled up, wrestled the controls from him and arrested him. They refused to accept that he wasn't using it as a spy plane. He was questioned for hours. I thought it was hilarious.

Thanks for all the advice. I will search further to find a club or might try the area mentioned in Pattaya.

Until recently all RC controls were under very tight control and the only place you found clubs for flying models were military. I expect the major clubs will still be found on Army and Air Base facilities.

I work on a oil & gas plant in north Africa. A guy built his own remote control plane and started flying it in the evenings. One evening a military vehicle pulled up, wrestled the controls from him and arrested him. They refused to accept that he wasn't using it as a spy plane. He was questioned for hours. I thought it was hilarious.

Thanks for all the advice. I will search further to find a club or might try the area mentioned in Pattaya.

That kind of tight control. Although it was any kind of transmitter. :o

You might check with your Embassy as they probably know the who/what/when and contact information.

Butterfly has incredibly fast remote control speedboat - it sounds like an Aston Martin as well. Terrified the residents in my apartment when he took for a burn round the pool and certainly put my "police patrol" remote controlled boat to shame...

That kind of tight control. Although it was any kind of transmitter. :o

You might check with your Embassy as they probably know the who/what/when and contact information.

'Although it was any kind of transmitter'

Although what was any kind of transmitter?

My Embassy will know about remote control plane or car clubs in Thailand? Why would they?

There's a track for racing RC cars off Srinakarin road behind Seacon Square, near where a go-kart track also happens to be located. These are the nitro powered cars, as well as the more serious electric ones, not the cheapos you see at the malls. There are a few good hobby shops about town that sell quality cars/planes/boats/helos. A good buddy of mine actually builds RC electric planes from scratch, and he knows of a number of places around Bkk to fly them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi richb2004 - there is a LOT of radio control (RC) model plane flying in Thailand. It is LEGAL and there are many flyers, flying fields, model shops and clubs spread across the country. They are NOT all in military bases - civilians do NOT fly at military bases. And you will NOT be arrested. So, where do you want to fly ? Where are you situated in Thailand when your feet are on dry land ? I am in Chiangmai. I suggest you look at http://chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/rcplanes/rcflying.htm - and come fly with us. MalcolmL

• 3 weeks later...
These sites might aid your search of all things radio controlled..

http://www.rcs.co.th/

http://www.binfoam.com/

Good sites - where is the binfoam location ? I don't recognise it or any of the flyers.

Is it possible to email this thread to mt friend in Buriram ? If so, how please ?

I hope the original poster man - richb2004 ? - is still reading this haven't heard from him in a while.

Thanks MalcolmL

there are a number of very good magazines mostly talking about radio control cars or planes that are avaialble at most decent Thai magazine shops. particularly ones in the middle class areas of BKK.

I sail my radio control 1m and have had a few other sailors on ocassion come by and sail with me at Suan Rot Fai. Not sure where this military crack down stuff came from as I have been doing this for about 5 years? Maybe that is near army bases?....

Anyway, I understand there is some club where they sail at Minburi, but haven't had time to go out and find them. The radio control aircraft seem most popular.

Around China Town there is a shopping mall full of that stuff, but easier to just but the magazine the ads have addresses and prices in english, plus some info on clubs; just need someone to translate for you (ifyou don't read Thai) and you'll be ready to go!

there are a number of very good magazines mostly talking about radio control cars or planes that are avaialble at most decent Thai magazine shops. particularly ones in the middle class areas of BKK.

I sail my radio control 1m and have had a few other sailors on ocassion come by and sail with me at Suan Rot Fai. Not sure where this military crack down stuff came from as I have been doing this for about 5 years? Maybe that is near army bases?....

Anyway, I understand there is some club where they sail at Minburi, but haven't had time to go out and find them. The radio control aircraft seem most popular.

Around China Town there is a shopping mall full of that stuff, but easier to just but the magazine the ads have addresses and prices in english, plus some info on clubs; just need someone to translate for you (ifyou don't read Thai) and you'll be ready to go!

Hi Steve - many thanks for your post. I used to sail also - various types - in UK, Australia and more recently in Thailand. There used to be a stretch of water at the Don Muang RC Club (DMRCC)at Tungsikan (spelling ?) about 5 kms west of DM International where I've sailed. It may still be there - I say "may" because it is on RT Air Force land and Taksin is reported to have taken it over to make a golf course for his Thai Elite card members. As if Thailand needs another golf course !!!

Anyway, this little lake was used by DMRCC for float plane flying and sailing - both sail and power boats. To get there, from DMI - there is a flyover leading to the military side of the airfield - just before that (don't go up the ramp), turn hard left across the railway line and double back about 500 metres (going south). There's a right turn which then takes you back northwards another 500 metres to the railway crossing - and about 100 metres more, there's a left turn. This passes in front of DM police station (on the right) and then there's a bridge over a klong. Go straight about 5 kms - you pass a lot of RTAF apartments on the left. At about 5 kms, there is a T junction - and about 100 metres before the T junction, you will see the lake and runway on the right. I'm told they are still in use but the actual DMRCC is now defunct - due to Taksin's takeover of the land.

About the the sail club in Minburi, I know there was a flying/sailing club at Minburi called Sawadee RC Club (I think). I've flown there and seen power boat racing. I heard they've now included paramotors and ultralights which may make it dangerous for the flyers - RC and full size don't mix very well.

You may have noticed I refer to everything in the past tense - that's because I haven't been to these sites in over 2 years - we moved to Chiangmai in 2004.

Good luck & thanks for your input. MalcolmL