My First Trip To Thailand - A Report - Part 2

fareastcoastmover

Now I had heard and read all about how the tuk-tuk driver mafia were so bad and how they overcharge falangs all of the time, so I was already on-guard for it. It’s really the same way in the Philippines’ tourist areas with the widely despised trike drivers.

But we wanted to experience a ride in one nonetheless so we got 2 of them for the 5 of us which I think charged us 150 each tuk-tuk for the ride to MBK.

On guard for being overcharged by a tuk tuk, proceed to be overcharged anyway tongue.png

Depends on traffic, but a taxi from Nana to MBK should only be about 50 baht and you can squeeze 5 people in. Tuk tuks are always more expensive than an air conditioned taxi for a foreigner that doesn't speak Thai and know the prices. Especially in Nana, they would rather just sit there and wait for someone to overpay than to work and take normal priced fares.

Anyway interesting stories to read!

I have read both now, and am enjoying them. Its always good to be reminded what its like for first timers here, as you can become a bit jaded when you live here. I hope now you have done the tuk tuk thing that you will avoid them at all costs, at least until you learn the fare prices and some basic Thai!! The BTS is often packed, but its cheap clean and air conditioned and definately better than a tuk tuk ride!! Look forward to the next installment

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I have to say if I had brought my wife on our first trip to Bangkok and lived down Sukhumvit Soi 4, I probably would have had to turn the job in Thailand down. That street is entertainment friendly, family friendly not so much. Having the mother in law along, does not help. Then again my family dynamics might not be the same as yours. Good luck to you on your move down to Thailand.

fareastcoastmover

First, thank you for opening this thread, should be fun and interesting.

Would be nice if you mention also the differences to your knowledge of the Philippines.

Second, you must not, should not start a new thread with every part of your journey. Just write your next post here in this thread and I think, a AD.

should bring this two threads Part 1 and 2 already together.

Regarding the SKYTRAIN, no fear, he is never to full, as far as I used him. I even used the Skytrain BTS in the first hours of a new year.

Than it was a bit crowded.tongue.png

Nana Plaza, your mentioned red lights, is not so bad or offensive, I think.

If you pass it by in the night, you have, for a few Meters on both sides of the entrance to Nana Plaza groups of Freelancer working girls

and Katoys-Ladyboys standing, but that is all.

To see more you have to go inside Nana Plaza.

There are also three Bars around the entrance of Nana and opposite which can be a bit crowded with customers and punters.

And street food, but nothing to worry.

You mentioned more than once the big eyes when the Thais did not recognize your GF,

women in your group as non Thais and their surprise that they did not speak Thai.

I have the same experience with my Cambodian GF who was now four times in TH-Bangkok, Phuket-Patong, Pattaya and Khon Khaen-Isaan.

Was always funny for us and followed by a nice smile or a good laugh. Never negative outcome so.

But, you should have explained, why the women in your group could not speak Thai.

Not let them only guess and maybe think your GF want to show off her language skills and the uneducated Thai waitress or the shop girl looses face.

Just a good joke, when mostly I mentioned in Thai, that we both -Put Thai mai dai- cannot speak Thai.giggle.gif

Please write more, thank you.wai.gif

If you want to try a decent variety of Thai food prepared with a high standards go to the Arnoma hotel across from Centra world. 300baht gets you everything and the spread they put out is amazing. The lunch buffet is really good also because they pick a different nationality and go with that theme. Good quality staff and a great location for people watching. The place is called the Buttercup.

***Ok, based on suggestions from some here I'm just going to continue posting my report in this thread here. Maybe the moderators of the forum can merge the first post with this one.

******Also, how do I post photos here? Every possible option I can see, I get this message when I try: "it's currently not possible to post links on this forum. If you have questions, please email support at thaivisa dot com"

Here's PART 3:

So we wake up fairly early the next morning and have the Woraburi breakfast buffet. Had to pay extra for Momma because it only includes 2 persons per room they tell us. (didn’t mention it the first morning) After eating, I was trying to remember the long list of suggested attractions to see in Bangkok and was feeling a little indecisive about what to do and how to go about it. Everyone in the group was looking to me for an answer, and after fiddling through my Lonely Planet book and my iPad a little, I took the easy route by going to the “tour desk” right there in the Woraburi with all kinds of package tours and brochures displayed.

The lady there starts pitching all of the different packages to us, and we quickly settled on two that sounded extensive and interesting enough. First, the “Bangkok Temple Tour”, which would take us to 4 different stops to see a variety of Wats and Buddha’s. Getting this out of the way would mean nobody could ever say I didn’t soak up some of the “culture” a bit. It was years later, after copious amounts of “single male” gallivanting in both Korea and the Philippines before I did anything “cultural” whatsoever. So nice to get it out of the way early here in Thailand I thought.

After the temple tour, they would then drop us off at Siam Ocean World, and the package price included specific things once inside there as well. So all told, it was around 1700 baht per person if memory serves me. But I’m probably wrong about that, so don’t quote me on it. I warned you I’m terrible at remembering exact prices I paid for things whilst on holiday. The transportation and entrance fees to and from all of the temples, and the entrance fees with extras for Siam Ocean World were all included in the package, so a pretty complete sounding deal we thought, understanding we’re probably paying a bit extra for convenience on our 2nd full day in this country.

The tour van would pick us up at noon, so we had some time to kill. We decided to walk across the road to inquire about that condo that appeared to allow pets. When we walked up to the gate nobody really greeted us or anything, so we just meandered our way in and waved at what appeared to be security guards sitting on chairs further back in the car-park. We walked inside to the lobby area and nobody was behind the window. We had to knock on the glass until an older woman appeared.

Before we said anything, she blurted out “We only do longterm rent”. I said, “Yeah, that’s what we wanted to ask about”. She then said, “What’s your budget?” Kind of caught off-guard by this, I replied with “Well, what’s the rent here?” She said, “Starting at 65,000 baht”. Still getting used to the conversion rate and trying to do it in my head real fast, I figured that to be around $2,000 U.S. and we said “thank you” and walked back out. This place was obviously way out of our price range. We’re looking for something more in the 10,000 to 15,000 baht price range, furnished, that allows pets, and is close to a BTS if possible. Other details like good internet, pool, gym and laundry facilities would be nice too, but secondary to the pets, location and price range issues.

So our tour van shows up and we pile in. There were a handful of other people in the van already, and we made yet another stop to pick up more at a different hotel. On this ride I could really see why people complain about the traffic so much. A lot of sitting and waiting, and waiting some more. Still, in my opinion, it was more orderly and less jumpy than Philippines traffic. It was far quieter and less chaotic feeling also. I noticed the absence of that incessant horn-honking which you hear ad-nauseam in the PI traffic. I personally didn’t mind the long rides between stops because I enjoyed observing the street-life of this new place I was in.

I can’t tell you which order we saw them in, but we stopped at 4 different temple sites. I believe the first was the “Golden Temple”, in which we walked up some stairs to an elevated Buddha shrine area. I remember we took the care to pack long-pants and shoes specifically for this day, after reading all of the advice about needing those things for temple visits. I then recall how that day was extremely hot and how long pants and leather shoes made it worse. That would have been fine for me, except when we looked around and noticed everyone else wearing sandals and things other than proper long pants. You had to take off your shoes before going in side the temples and shrines anyway, and most people were barefoot after slipping out of flip flops and sandals.

We also saw the “Reclining Buddha” which was rather neat looking. This immensely, long massive golden Buddha laying down on its side; pretty interesting one to see. We also saw the “Golden Buddha” and “Standing Buddha”. I forgot the exact names of the actual “Wats”, but I know we covered at least 4 of them. What we did not see was the “Emerald Buddha” and/or the “Grand Temple/Palace”. Those were separate tours they told us.

Our tour guide was a funny (gay?) little Thai guy who imparted us with some rudimentary Thai language instruction during the van rides. Explaining how to say “Sawatdee Ka” if you were a lady versus “Sawatdee Krap” if you were a man. Don’t get them mixed up he said or else they’ll think you’re a “Ladyboy”. That drew obligatory snorts from the multi-national group on the tour; undoubtedly the same “joke” he regurgitates on a daily basis, but cute nonetheless I suppose.

Oh, I failed to mention today was Valentine’s Day also. So on our last stop before Ocean World, they took us to this “Gem Gallery” place for “free refreshments”. They gave us soft-drinks upon entering, then herded us, awkwardly, through this large sweat-shop looking room where people where banging away at rocks with chisels and hammers. Through there we were led to this gigantic jewelry store; that’s basically what it was, with rows and rows of jewels in every shape, size and karat. I was reminded several times by the attendants behind the counters that it was Valentine’s Day as my wife ooooh’ed and ahhh’hed at all the different rocks. Thank you very much.

We then sat in a comfortable lounge area for some free coffee, before being led once again into a large souvenir shop, where the Pinays purchased some “pasalubong” (Tagalog for “gifts from abroad”) for friends and family. I somehow always seem to find and point-out the fornicating sculptures for sale in such places, which drew disapproving looks from the Missus. Hey, I didn’t put them there, I just pointed them out. Does that make me the perverted one? She answered in the affirmative.

It was (thankfully) finally time to go, and our tour guide rounded us all back out to the van. We were dropped off at the Paragon(?) mall where Siam Ocean World was located, but my friend needed to have another smoke before entering, which is something he did at every single stop, multiple times. Only this time, he did it right in front of a sign that said “500 (or was it 2000?) baht fine for smoking” and a security guard yelled at him and pointed to the sign. So he quickly put it out and we went inside the huge, fancy looking mall. We decided to eat first and chose Subway at the Food Court since my friend is deprived of such in the Philippines. Well, the women went off and got KFC themselves. Filipinas love their chicken and rice.

We head into Siam Ocean World after giving them our vouchers from the package tour and we learn the “glass-bottom boat ride” and “3D movie” are included. So we walk around the aquarium and see the different exhibits which was nice. Although, personally speaking, if you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all when it comes to aquariums. Baltimore, Seoul, Camden, etc., same same. What was a little different was the glass-bottomed boat ride. Just how it sounds, a boat with a glass bottom to see the fish, including sharks, down below. You’re able to purchase a bunch of shrimp to throw overboard and feed the swarming fish, so it was pretty fun for us all to be honest.

Then on to the 3D movie thing which I could’ve done without really. It was very much just a cartoon thing for children. They had these live-action effects in line with the story though. Like wind blowing in your face and your seats lurching forward and backwards, or just oddly vibrating underneath your bottom. All in all, we were fairly satisfied with the day’s events, feeling like we got our money’s worth for $50(?) or $60(?) per person all told. Though I’m sure some of the long-timers better in the know might disagree. If I took a trip just to save money and haggle over prices for 11 days, I would’ve “just stayed in Kansas” I think. We’ll have plenty of time for baht-pinching and crying over of the price of Singha (in our Singha) later once we move there.

Another general observation I had after this day was just how much of a “machine” the whole tourism thing is there. They really have it down pat compared to other countries I’ve been to. There’s countless people from all over the World here, ferried in and out and around all of those tourist attractions like a well-oiled revolving door. It’s really well-organized and laid out; a refreshing contrast to my experiences in the Philippines and even Korea to some extent. A giant, moving “machine” is truly the best way to describe it there. Expecting less to be totally honest, I was impressed at how efficient and well-developed it all appeared to be.

For the ride back to the Woraburi, I decide it was time to try out the BTS. We headed up the stairs and needed to make change for the ticket machine. My wife and I had done our due diligence by way of Youtube videos and learned exactly how it worked long in advance. So we get our coins from the window person, select the number of stops we need to travel, and receive our tickets. Pretty straightforward and very similar to the rail lines in Korea. We get off at Nana and decide to just walk back to the Woraburi, briefly checking out a few of the numerous trinket and t-shirt stalls and shops along the way.

The “jungle area” was only just getting ramped up at 6pm or so, but was still an intense walk-thru with the wives and mother-in-law nonetheless. You feel like 1000 sets of alien eyes are upon you, but we made it back to the Woraburi without incident and freshened up before meeting for dinner.

Again, Momma was tuckered-out from the long day so she stayed in the room while the 4 of us went to eat. It was Valentine’s Day after all. My friend had to get cash and used the ATM right outside the Woraburi. No problem using ATMs with American VISA cards here, and they were quite literally everywhere you looked. We strolled down the same direction as last night, going a few places further and settling on yet another outdoor seafood place. This one was appropriately more “romantic” looking in its decor, with some nice lights and candles set about. I can’t recall the name of the joint but the food was surprisingly good. I had a steak and it was fantastic.

After dinner, we decide to have ourselves a taste of the local nightlife and start off slow by entering a small bar nearby named “Jersey Bar”, which looked to be attached to the place we ate the night prior. We had a few Singha’s there before heading further down, past an open beer-garden looking place, to another smallish bar with an open-front porch. We did some shots there, joked around a bit, then found an indoor pub-style bar for more drinking of the night away.

My friend and I both liked the taste of Singha, finding it similar to San Miguel Super Dry in the Philippines. The ladies drank their cocktails, and started to get goofy. My wife is almost allergic to any form of alcohol, and really can only finish one or two Pina Colada type drinks, souring her face if she tastes too much of the actual liquor. That can be kind of a buzz-kill while out in a drinking situation, but we rarely drink at home, and a non-drinker probably makes for a better wife than a lush does.

I was half-way observing some of the bargirl/punter interaction and recalled the things I had read and been told about this place over the years. You get only a very elementary level of communication with the (working) girls, who are all mostly very “business-minded” anyway. Compare that to the Philippines where you can relate relatively closely with the women, and receive that (semi)genuine “girlfriend experience” if you will.

In our case, my friend and I had gone full “wife experience” and I couldn’t help but feel we had the best of both Worlds. After abhorrent amounts of philandering and canoodling around Asia, I have to say having solid relationships with women you can communicate well with is something to be valued and grateful for. It really became blurry after that so we stumbled home to the Woraburi to call it a night. Tomorrow I’d meet my friend Tim living there who could tell and show us more.

post-151541-0-67057000-1330896520_thumb.

post-151541-0-85586600-1330896523_thumb.

post-151541-0-50883800-1330896526_thumb.

post-151541-0-45548100-1330896529_thumb.

post-151541-0-84750700-1330896531_thumb.

post-151541-0-23808900-1330896534_thumb.

post-151541-0-69752800-1330896536_thumb.

post-151541-0-23108100-1330896539_thumb.

post-151541-0-57526500-1330896541_thumb.

post-151541-0-87777500-1330896543_thumb.

• Like 2

Sounds like a lot of fun, I wish I could go back and re do it all and experience it as a first time.

As for your dog, I am sure the pets section can help you out. I did the opposite and brought a poodle/bichon mix from Thailand to the US, the only thing that was hard for him was the 40+ hrs of travel.

Angelina look's better now's she put on a bit of weight wink.png

Looking forward to part 4.

BTW, when are you intending on making your "move" and what other advice are you after?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

I brought a dog to TH, a big Puppy, so the flight ticket was expensive, that problem the OP does not have.

On Thailand soil, no problem at all, I had the right papers with me and with a small fee, 200 Bath, some years ago. I was out of Don Muang.

Bring you dog, no big thing, just have your papers and the shots for the dog in order.

• Like 1

I brought a dog to TH, a big Puppy, so the flight ticket was expensive, that problem the OP does not have.

On Thailand soil, no problem at all, I had the right papers with me and with a small fee, 200 Bath, some years ago. I was out of Don Muang.

Bring you dog, no big thing, just have your papers and the shots for the dog in order.

Awesome info Alfredo. Thanks, that is exactly what we're looking for. I know there's some big threads about bringing your pet to Thailand on this forum, I just haven't had the time to go through them yet. We really want to try to find one of those all-inclusive pet transport services. I'm sure it'll be expensive, but after bringing him from Korea to the USA ourselves, we'd prefer to do it a more hands-off way.

BTW, when are you intending on making your "move" and what other advice are you after?

RAZZ

RAZZ,

We plan to move over in 3 or 4 months. Have some issues to take care of here in the US before the move, one of them being getting my wife's 10-yr USA green card (just went for her bio-metrics appointment today!). There's a form we can file to inform them she'll be out of the USA studying abroad so she can still maintain her US residency. I think we'll only have to re-visit the US once every 2 years if we file the proper form. Otherwise she'd lose her US resident status and have to start the whole process all over again from square 1, immigrant visa and all that.

The biggest help we need, other than learning about the dog process and finding a transport service, is finding the right place to live. I'm sure utilizing this forum and the friends we have will help in that matter.

Also need to find out exactly how the visa process works and the best way to do it. The language school's website has info indicating we need to pay the full 6 month's tution first, then they initiate the process, but it sounds as if doing when we're already there in Thailand, meaning we'd then have to make a visa runt to Laos or someplace to visit a Thai consulate or embassy outside of Thailand to get the proper Education visa stamp. However my friend Tim said we should see if we can get that all done in advance, before we leave the US, at a Thai consulate here.

• Like 1

It only cost me $245 from BKK to JFK for my dog and he's 11lbs, so I expect the same size cage for yours, thus similar costs.

Yeah, thats about how much it was for us when we flew him from Korea to Philadelphia, but that was us checking him in for the trans-Pacific flights, and carrying him on in the cabin in a smal, soft case for the domestic flights. It was really alot of stress and headache.

When we picked him up before customs, after the Korea to LAX flight, he was totally dehydrated and hungry. The Korean Air website said he would be given water and food (we attached food to the outside of the cage as instruction online) along the way but he had zero water and the food was untouched on the outside of the cage we were placed it.

14 hour flight no food, no water for a scared 6-pound dog in the cargo hold of a 747. I yelled at the Korean Air representative there at LAX but of course that did no good. I think there are services out there which do it all for you, including the paperwork for quarrantines and whatnot.

We don't want that happening again so we're going to find one that's reputable and cares for the animals properly along the way. Might cost alot more but we've already made up our minds on it.

Edited by fareastcoastmover

We plan to move over in 3 or 4 months. Have some issues to take care of here in the US before the move, one of them being getting my wife's 10-yr USA green card (just went for her bio-metrics appointment today!). There's a form we can file to inform them she'll be out of the USA studying abroad so she can still maintain her US residency. I think we'll only have to re-visit the US once every 2 years if we file the proper form. Otherwise she'd lose her US resident status and have to start the whole process all over again from square 1, immigrant visa and all that.

Congrats on the green card. I know it's a long process. Make sure you have all your visa paperwork in order before going over. If you used an immigration lawyer for your marriage, then you should double check with them about having your wife living abroad.

FYI, copy/pasted from visajourney.com

6.11.6)..Can I travel abroad after becoming a permanent resident?

A..Sure, but if you need to be out of the United States for over 12 months, you must file form I-131 and obtain a "re-entry permit". As a *brand new* permanent resident, you should consider getting a re-entry permit if you expect to be out of the United States for 6 months or longer.

This complicated question does not have a perfect answer. Extended absence from the United States does not count towards the time required to become a naturalized citizen. The United States expects those who have been granted permanent resident status to actually be "residents".

It costs $360 as well. In the I-131 instructions it says:

NOTICE to permanent or conditional residents who remain outside the United States for more than 1 year: If you do not obtain a Reentry Permit and remain outside the United States for 1 year or more, we may determine that you have abandoned your permanent or conditional resident status.
  • Like 1

Congrats on the green card. I know it's a long process. Make sure you have all your visa paperwork in order before going over. If you used an immigration lawyer for your marriage, then you should double check with them about having your wife living abroad.

FYI, copy/pasted from visajourney.com

6.11.6)..Can I travel abroad after becoming a permanent resident?

A..Sure, but if you need to be out of the United States for over 12 months, you must file form I-131 and obtain a "re-entry permit". As a *brand new* permanent resident, you should consider getting a re-entry permit if you expect to be out of the United States for 6 months or longer.

This complicated question does not have a perfect answer. Extended absence from the United States does not count towards the time required to become a naturalized citizen. The United States expects those who have been granted permanent resident status to actually be "residents".

It costs $360 as well. In the I-131 instructions it says:

NOTICE to permanent or conditional residents who remain outside the United States for more than 1 year: If you do not obtain a Reentry Permit and remain outside the United States for 1 year or more, we may determine that you have abandoned your permanent or conditional resident status.

Yup, that's the one, I-131 Reentry Permit. We'll be getting one of those. Also, I wonder if we just re-entered the US at least once a year that would be ok. I recall retired/contractor type guys in Korea with Korean or Filipina wives in a similar green-card situation just making their yearly trips back to the US for that purpose I believe. We'll be sure to dot our i's and cross our t's nonetheless before doing anything.

I would try to take the dog, as he is so small with me in the cabin.

So he can get your best care.

Check the possibiltys with the Airlines out. Maybe fly Business Class if its affordabel,

makes the flying with the small pet more enjoy able to, so I think and would be the best solution.

Your small dog is in the weight limits, which should allow him to be in the cabin in a fitting transport box.

fareastcoastmover

Did you not want to write us from the rest of your family trip? Thanks.

Part 4...

Woke up somewhat late on this morning after the drinking last night. Had some breakfast, killed time by the pool on the roof, and planned for lunch at 2pm with my friend Tim. We said to meet him at the Ekkamai BTS station and that the restaurant we were going to eat at was right there. Woraburi has a free tuktuk transport from the hotel to Sukhumvit, so we boarded that and set off. Got aboard the BTS and Ekkamai is only a few stops away. I called Tim as we got off and he told me which exit to go down. He was standing right there at the bottom of the steps waiting.

I hadn’t seen Tim since 2004, so about 8 years now. We met on an internet message forum not unlike this one actually, only it was for the Philippines instead. We then coincided a Philippines trip together and had a lot of fun pillaging and plundering there as two 20-somethings would. We had stayed in touch off & on over the years, and he was actually the reason we came to Thailand now and considered the move over for school. After he separated from the military himself, he spent time moving around Asia teaching English in Japan, Korea and Thailand. He then used his GI Bill to attend school in Bangkok, where he is now finishing up his Masters degree.

It was nice to get reacquainted as we sat down to lunch at this Ekkamai restaurant. It was seemingly like we just had our Philippines trip yesterday. I don’t know the exact name of the place, but it was fairly large and right on the corner there near the BTS station. I believe it was named something ambiguous like “Beer Restaurant & Café”. It had a large section outdoors, but also nice seating indoors, which is where we chose to sit. It looked like it was just opening up or something, because we were the only ones there at that moment.

Upon ordering our drinks, with a little explanation, and help from Tim in Thai, we finally were able to find our “Thai Iced Tea” that we had been looking for. And once it came and we tasted it, it was exactly what we had loved in Korea. The girl working here said it was indeed called “Cha Yen”. They had a very extensive menu here and everyone ordered something different. I had the chicken w/ cashews and it was delicious. That was what I was waiting for! My wife, her mom and my friends seemed to enjoy their food too. Tim talked with us about our plans and about some of his experiences and things, giving us some great info about the school, expenses, possible housing, etc.

After the meal, Tim suggested we find a place to have a few drinks as it was nearing Happy Hour. We walked just around the corner a few blocks to a place called “Durty Nelly’s”, a medium-sized pub that looked just perfect for the company we were with. Before starting, Tim pledged he could only have a few because he had schoolwork to do and was trying to cut out drinking as part of a new diet & exercise regimen. We didn’t want to overdo it either because we had our flight to Krabi tomorrow at noon. But all great nights start off with such proclamations, don’t they.

The next thing we knew, it was about 10pm and we had entered the realm of joke-telling that would get you beat-up, arrested and/or put on neighborhood offender watch-lists if told back in the States. Several rounds of shots and countless pints of beer were shared along with the jokes and story-telling that went on. I don’t recall much after Durty Nelly’s but we did, in fact, go to another bar later, and then in a taxi back to the Woraburi which I only bleakly recall. The wife and mother-in-law arranged transportation to the airport in the morning thank goodness, and it was deep sleep for me as soon as I hit the pillow.

Morning came fast and we had to eat, pack and check-out before the airport transportation showed up. Ride to the airport went fine, as did check-in flight on Air Asia. It was only like a 1-hour flight so we were landing in Krabi before my hangover even wore off. Got our bags and acquired a van to Ao Nang where we were staying. We got dropped off at the Mercure Deevana and were immediately impressed by it’s appearance. Very new, clean and modern-looking in design. Spacious, open check-in area that had comfortable seating while we waited. After check-in, they ushered us to a “lounge area” with nice big chaises to lay on while they served us welcome drinks.

Something I noticed right away was that the staff here were very friendly and more open than the folks in Bangkok. I wasn’t yet sure if it was a regional thing or a tourist area thing or just this hotel, but it was definitely noticeable to all of us. They smiled more widely, spoken better English and even joked around playfully, almost reminiscent of the cheerful, Filipina-type disposition.

Our rooms are finally ready---we did arrive a bit earlier than check-in time---and they show us to them. Wow, very impressed as soon as we entered. Everything was brand new, squeaky clean and top quality. And this room had two beds so no extra hassle was needed. We unpacked a little and put valuables in the safe before meeting back up with our friends next door to go find food. Decided to forgo the hotel restaurant for now, although it looked quite inviting; large, open-air area with ample seating and a view of the swimming pool. But we wanted to explore outside a bit, so we walked out and down the road.

Walked past just a few little places til coming upon Swiss Chalet, which appeared to be a small hotel, with an open-air restaurant in the front, as well as a tour desk. The girls working there were as cheery and friendly as the staff at the Mercure, warmly inviting us in when we stopped out front. This place had a really “home” type of feel to it, and we moved two of the small tables together to accommodate our group. The girl then realized our ladies weren’t Thai and politely mentioned it inquisitively, saying they all really looked Thai and how they were wondering why they were not speaking Thai at first when we walked in.

We ordered our “Cha Yen” no problem here, and it was even better than we had at Ekkamai the day prior. The food was really good here too; I had ginger and chicken and it was excellent, everyone else was happy with their food as well. There were guests of the hotel coming in and out, going to and from the back where the rooms undoubtedly were. While waiting for our food, the girl from the tour desk up-front came back asking if we liked to go on one of the tours tomorrow, showing us the various brochures and explaining it all well.

We decided on the “4 Island Tour” I think, which had 8 different stops by large motorboat throughout the day. They would take us to some of the Phi-Phi islands, the Monkey Cave(?), some snorkeling off the boat, lunch at another island, and a stop for swimming at Maya Bay----the place where they filmed “The Beach”, starring Leonardo DiCaprio. I’m saying that tongue-in-cheek because that specific fact was presented purposefully on everything we saw about Krabi on the internet prior to this trip, and was repeated over and over again while we were there. It became a running joke amongst our group the entire trip. As always, I’m horrible at remembering prices, but I think we paid 1300 baht per person for the deal. Van would pick us up at our hotel the next morning at 0800 a.m. for transport to the beach for the boat.

We would have another “cha yen” with our meal, but they ran out of the correct tea leaves for it, so they had to run out somewhere to buy more. After lunch, we walked down the street checking out some of the little shops. I changed the last of my U.S. dollars at a moneychanger booth, the ladies bought some small items and more souvenirs, and I grabbed a waterproof bag for our island hopping tour tomorrow. I also got me a nice Singha t-shirt, which is a “Hey-I’m-a-tourist-in-Thailand” essential. We then headed back to the Mercure for a dip in the pool and some rest after the day of hungover travel, eating and shopping.

After some snoozing, my friend and I met in the hotel restaurant for a late steak-dinner and some mixed drinks. The ladies were all still tired-out and didn’t join; remaining in the rooms to eat snacks later. The drinks were good, but the steak was disappointingly tough and fatty for both of us. Probably should’ve ordered something more Thai, but after having that great steak in Bangkok, figured I’d try another. I never even bother ordering steak in the Philippines anymore; it’s almost impossible to get a good one there, save for one or two places I’ve found in 10 years. We again were impressed and appreciative of the friendliness and pleasantness of the wait staff there at the Mercure. And based on everything we had seen so far on this half-day in Krabi, found everyone here to be a good deal nicer than those in Bangkok, small sampling size notwithstanding.

That would wrap-up the day for us. We had an early morning tomorrow and a long day of island, beach and water activities in the Sun.

post-151541-0-96399000-1331169760_thumb.post-151541-0-24478400-1331169764_thumb.post-151541-0-19859100-1331169767_thumb.post-151541-0-33189400-1331169771_thumb.post-151541-0-73483100-1331169773_thumb.post-151541-0-41834300-1331169776_thumb.post-151541-0-02737300-1331169779_thumb.post-151541-0-71280500-1331169781_thumb.post-151541-0-21926300-1331169784_thumb.post-151541-0-12908100-1331169787_thumb.post-151541-0-99035300-1331169819_thumb.post-151541-0-62471200-1331169822_thumb.post-151541-0-95573000-1331169824_thumb.post-151541-0-39343900-1331169827_thumb.post-151541-0-42150700-1331169830_thumb.post-151541-0-52281400-1331169833_thumb.post-151541-0-87705800-1331169835_thumb.post-151541-0-89883600-1331169838_thumb.post-151541-0-35712200-1331169841_thumb.post-151541-0-84791200-1331169843_thumb.

• Like 1

I know your story is only at Day 4, but what did you think of Ao Nang?

As an American that loves Thailand, I did not enjoy Ao Nang "city". It was full of foreigners, none American, and literally no Thai people except for the hotel/restaurant workers. The island tour was great though. The beach was nice.

I know your story is only at Day 4, but what did you think of Ao Nang?

As an American that loves Thailand, I did not enjoy Ao Nang "city". It was full of foreigners, none American, and literally no Thai people except for the hotel/restaurant workers. The island tour was great though. The beach was nice.

I know what you mean. Yes, there were loads of foreigners there and it's definitely a tourist-trap type of place, but the Thai's that were there---that we encountered at least---were all very nice and friendly. Not many other Americans that we noticed. Alot of Europeans, especially northern types like Swedes, Dutch, Danes and the like. Yes...the island tour was really great. Extremely picturesque just like, well, the pictures. Some fast-talking Indian (or were they Paki?) guys trying to sell you suits too.

I think Ao Nang serves it's purpose well though. It's basically a middle transfer point situated nicely for people to get to the other islands and attractions nearby.

Edited by fareastcoastmover