Analysis: Beginning Of The End Of Thaksin?

george

Why hasn't the opposition done something over the last five years to get the message out?

Chownah

Well, they have, but it's a bit difficult to convince people who have just received some free handouts and yet another easy loan (for which they credit Toxin), that there is something fundamentally wrong with gov politics regarding rural development. And the positive changes of the last few years are visibly obvious where I live - the hangover of unpaid loans, the downspiraling of health services etc. has yet to kick in to its full extent.

And, I agree, the rural population wouldn't necessarily fare better under a different gov, at least not short-term.

Maybe they just like to get whatever is on offer now, rather than believing in promised future progress?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of someone who could replace him. Where is the opposition?

wow, George - you surprise me ! I thought you are one of those who simply love "Thaksin-bashing" too much to be able to see beyond it ! :o

I hope that more discussions on this and similar REAL issues might do some help.

I can't think of someone who could replace him. Where is the opposition?

wow, George - you surprise me ! I thought you are one of those who simply love "Thaksin-bashing" too much to be able to see beyond it ! :o

I hope that more discussions on this and similar REAL issues might do some help.

You are being mischievous aaaaaa aren,t you. :D

It,s all to easy to pull parts of a post up and take it out of context or make the full post seem

irrelevant or different as you demonstrate.

My take when he posted it was meant to ask whoever takes over as the opposition is not able to

get the votes necessary.

I,m nearly sure again from my take , it didn,t mean the Kamoy is to good/better quality.

( Then again maybe your take is different just in case it,s a serious comment. )

marshbags :D:D:D

P.S. George is more than capable to comment on you fun observation and probably knows you well.

I responded because it highlights one of the problems with doctoring posts as we all know and experience at times.

Edited by marshbags

Anti Toxin People,

Wake up! Time is a wasting! The election will be won or lost in the villages. You know that the problem is that the villagers need to be educated about the evils of this gov't. Get out there and educate them. It has been known for 5 years that Toxin's political base is the rural villages...why have you been sitting on your hands for the last 5 years? If you had been educating those rural people for the last 5 years then by now they would be well equipped for this new election. So, don't lament over the 5 years you have wasted!!,,,its not too late!!,,,,get out there and educate those rural people....Times a wasting.

Chownah

Pro Toxin People,

Hurry up, Guys!... Make sure you blanket every village with the appropriate gift, financial and otherwise. Go with your proven track record of successes with the TRT party... errr... wait a sec. Skip that part.

Don't let honesty win... you must get back to the status quo as quickly as possible. You've enjoyed the fruits of your corrupt ways for the last 5 years, now you will have to double your efforts to ensure the next 3 are even more profitable. Hurry up, empty those nearby town's ATMs of their small bills and get right out to the villages with it... Times a wasting.

SJ, if thaksin wins the snap elections, wouldn't the clock be reset and it'll be another 4 years??

the democrats and other parties have had to back-peddle because they know they can't take over thaksin's other factions in this time, and neither do they want to waste precious campaign funds on a losing proposition. it would have been better for them to concentrate on the elections originally 3 years away.

why can't people understand that it is better to just let him serve out the existing term? the people have handed him the legal mandate 12 months ago, and Thaksin is playing it by the books. the anti-thaksin mob is always going to have to go through undemocratic means to over-throw him. it is wiser to use time and money to reach out to the rural voters instead of forcing an unconstitutional downfall in the capital without a real mandate of the people. it would have been an ironic way for the democrats (the party) to gain power.

He only posts the news clippings, anything else is up to you...

the Dude,

One possible explanation (don't know how probable it is) is that if they can dump him quickly then it will be alot easier for them to get their hands on 30% or more of 1.9 billion baht that the Toxin family got for selling their shares of the company. With punititve penalties it could go as high as....the sky is the limit really when it comes to political lynchings....say 50%....thats ballpark 1 billion baht....I'm not surprised that a bunch of politicos would disrupt society if they could get their hands on 1 billion baht.....but.....if you wait three years and allow for a graceful exit then there is really no hope of snagging the prize.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

SJ, if thaksin wins the snap elections, wouldn't the clock be reset and it'll be another 4 years??

the democrats and other parties have had to back-peddle because they know they can't take over thaksin's other factions in this time, and neither do they want to waste precious campaign funds on a losing proposition. it would have been better for them to concentrate on the elections originally 3 years away.

why can't people understand that it is better to just let him serve out the existing term? the people have handed him the legal mandate 12 months ago, and Thaksin is playing it by the books. the anti-thaksin mob is always going to have to go through undemocratic means to over-throw him. it is wiser to use time and money to reach out to the rural voters instead of forcing an unconstitutional downfall in the capital without a real mandate of the people. it would have been an ironic way for the democrats (the party) to gain power.

maybe because if he take another 3 years every money out of the country and take over everything he can do with whatever methodes, there is no country left anymore and no land left (than it is Thaksinland). The damage is already to hugh.....

the Dude,

One possible explanation (don't know how probable it is) is that if they can dump him quickly then it will be alot easier for them to get their hands on 30% or more of 1.9 billion baht that the Toxin family got for selling their shares of the company. With punititve penalties it could go as high as....the sky is the limit really when it comes to political lynchings....say 50%....thats ballpark 1 billion baht....I'm not surprised that a bunch of politicos would disrupt society if they could get their hands on 1 billion baht.....but.....if you wait three years and allow for a graceful exit then there is really no hope of snagging the prize.

Chownah

OOOPS!! I made a slight mistake.....this should be in dollars, not in baht....that means nearly 1 billion DOLLARS is up for grabs.....about 40 billion baht......wouldn't you like a piece of that pie? Sure you would but the only people who have any real chance for it are the politicians....and guess what?.....you guessed it!!!

Fight!!! Fight!!!! for our nation. Cheer!!! : Thais from U.S. , Canada , Germany , Norway and Japan.

Jod, Pook, Em and Thai students in Cologne, Germany

post-27080-1140992792_thumb.jpg

Thais in Canada / Thaksin is a tyrant.

post-27080-1140992882_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1140992953_thumb.jpg

A Thai girl in Japan watched NHK channel.

post-27080-1140993033_thumb.jpg

Thai in Norway

post-27080-1140993143_thumb.jpg

Taksin is your time, you have no legitimacy to stay in the office anymore the bad things you have done are now ruining our beloved country. Please get out CU Alumni in the U.S.

post-27080-1140993227_thumb.jpg

Thais in Las Vegas

post-27080-1140993309_thumb.jpg

Thai student at New York State University

post-27080-1140993405_thumb.jpg

tAKsIn GO TO hel_l ! SHUT THE F _ C K UP ! Tee..Los Angeles

post-27080-1140993485_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1140993551_thumb.jpg

Anti Toxin People,

Wake up! Time is a wasting! The election will be won or lost in the villages. You know that the problem is that the villagers need to be educated about the evils of this gov't. Get out there and educate them. It has been known for 5 years that Toxin's political base is the rural villages...why have you been sitting on your hands for the last 5 years? If you had been educating those rural people for the last 5 years then by now they would be well equipped for this new election. So, don't lament over the 5 years you have wasted!!,,,its not too late!!,,,,get out there and educate those rural people....Times a wasting.

Chownah

Chownah.....again you're behaving in an offensively condescending manner toward all those, myself, included, who realise the root cause of the problem is the 'easily bought-off' masses living up-country.

It doesn't help, of course, that over ninety per cent of them get all their political news from TV, which as you know, is in the main, a mouth piece for the government.

Anymore patronizing twaddle up your sleeve today?

I guess condescention is in the eye of the beholder. I gave similar advice to the pro toxin people to show Sriracha John that I truly mean what I am saying. Seems like everyone wants to treat the rural people like a political football...either ignore them altogether if you don't need them or bribe them if you do....seems like no one wants to educate them.....might be because if they were educated they would see that all the politicians on both sides are greedy and corrupt and that virtually no one in politics right now really cares much about them(the rural people). The anti toxin forces have no interest in educating the rural people....the anti toxin forces want to silence rural people and institure a democracy base on the votes of the urban middle class only.....if that ever happens the rural people might be forgotten altogether. Why hasn't the opposition done something over the last five years to get the message out?

Chownah

Thank you for inadvertantly touching upon the huge problem of education in upcountry areas. It goes much further than simply educating them politically.

Why hasn't the TRT-run government done something over the last five years to truly improve the education in the villages. It's because an uneducated mass of people are much easier to control. Can you list any positive steps they've taken? Despite huge resources, how much of it has gone to uplifting the plight of rural schools. I'd love to see a photo of a typical classroom in your village's elementary school.

Are both sides of the political field responsible? Yes. But as the government is massively controlled by the TRT side, who must shoulder an equally massive share of the responsibility?

Why hasn't the TRT-run government done something over the last five years to truly improve the education in the villages.

It's just money, but government lottery revenues are now channeled to the education ministry under TRT, for the first time ever. Before they were channeled into the main government revenue fund to be redistributed among all ministries. Easily overlooked by the anti-Thaksin crowd, too busy frothing at the mouth.

:o

Why hasn't the TRT-run government done something over the last five years to truly improve the education in the villages.

It's just money, but government lottery revenues are now channeled to the education ministry under TRT, for the first time ever. Before they were channeled into the main government revenue fund to be redistributed among all ministries. Easily overlooked by the anti-Thaksin crowd, too busy frothing at the mouth.

:D

LOL@Heng's penchant for negatively over-exaggerating the portrayal of anyone truly concerned for Thailand's future, instead of those pandering to the misery created by its leaders... FYI, there’s no "frothing at the mouth" here...

:o:D

And where does all this lottery money go? Since it's not gone for improving school structures, subsidizing books/school supplies for those in need, teacher salaries, etc.... guess it's not get too far past the big wigs at the TRT Party-controlled Education Ministry.

Other than setting a Guinness Book record for the number of Education Ministers he’s bounced around in his ever-changing cabinets, what precisely are Thaksin’s successes in that ministry?

this is an irrelevant statement. when comparing administrations,

what matters is what education funding, initiatives, etc. where

put in place, and what results were achieved (attributable to those

changes - not time-lagged resuls of the previous administration).

money in the government budgets is fungible - never clear

where it comes from (and where it really goes for that matter).

to chide the previous administration for putting lottery

revenues into the general revenue fund is just a red herring,

unless you can show that the current administration is using

those lottery funds 1) above and beyond the funds allocated

through the general fund, and 2) producing results.

the only thing clear to me is that more students are walking

around with cell phones over the last four years (my time

here).....

The same can be said for any country with lottery based education revenue and misallocation within the education ministries therein.

The difference here is that before, the funds weren't even thrown in general direction of education under previous administrations. It's never even been considered or suggested.

I can say that I am not pro or anti-Thaksi, the above is merely a statement on a fact about the current administration. And as someone neutral about the current political situation, I can say that Sri-John and many others here are indeed frothing at the mouth.

Edited by Heng

the Dude,

Chownah

OOOPS!! I made a slight mistake.....this should be in dollars, not in baht....that means nearly 1 billion DOLLARS is up for grabs.....about 40 billion baht......wouldn't you like a piece of that pie? Sure you would but the only people who have any real chance for it are the politicians....and guess what?.....you guessed it!!!

er...fat chance. this is thailand. i have come across so many cases of rich families avoiding their tax liability in thailand in the course of my work here. the reality is numbing. and they are not anywhere as rich as thaksin is. if you had that kind of money, all you need to do is to make sure the relevant officials are taken care of. that kind of money buys a lot of influence, even in so-called 1st world countries. no new government is going to be able to pry it off him. you may recall the financial crisis and how NONE of the families involved in any of those 56 finance companies were ever successfully prosecuted. most of these families are still living very comfortably away from the public eye, funds tucked away in europe etc.

i think the media and the NGOs cooked up such a storm this time, but they have not found a way out. the constitution wasn't changed, their petition to the highest powers were unanswered, the courts found no grounds to impeach the PM, it was one loss after another. given a choice, i think the democrats and other parties would rather wait out the next 3 years and fight the next elections legitimately. they don't have funds (its only a year since the last elections), they haven't charted out the territory, they don't have a full field of candidates, they haven't built up the grassroots. its difficult to imagine the opposition winning under such conditions.

The same can be said for any country with lottery based education revenue and misallocation within the education ministries therein.

The difference here is that before, the funds weren't even thrown in general direction of education under previous administrations. It's never even been considered or suggested.

so basically what you are saying is that one of the stupidest things

that is done within education ministries around the world is a

'highlight' of the taxsin/TRT administration?

it could be argued that not "considering or suggesting" that the

funds from selling lottery tickets were "paper-trailed" to the

education department at least didn't insult anyone's intelligence.

I can say that I am not pro or anti-Thaksi, the above is merely a statement on a fact about the current administration. And as someone neutral about the current political situation, I can say that Sri-John and many others here are indeed frothing at the mouth.

My point is that it is a very lame statement of fact.

There is some frothing going on both sides here (such

is politics). But on more than a few occasions, when

asked directly to give examples of concrete contributions

of the Taxsin administration, nothing ever seems to

come forth.

er...fat chance. this is thailand. i have come across so many cases of rich families avoiding their tax liability in thailand in the course of my work here. the reality is numbing. and they are not anywhere as rich as thaksin is. if you had that kind of money, all you need to do is to make sure the relevant officials are taken care of. that kind of money buys a lot of influence, even in so-called 1st world countries. no new government is going to be able to pry it off him. you may recall the financial crisis and how NONE of the families involved in any of those 56 finance companies were ever successfully prosecuted. most of these families are still living very comfortably away from the public eye, funds tucked away in europe etc.

td,

similar to your experiences, i would agree with everything

you say above - excluding the comment about 1st world

countries. money does by influence and resources for

representing one's interests, but no way in hel_l would

the Shin corp transactions in the taxsin family go untaxed

at each and every step). ever wonder why many

1st world countries limit the size of "gifts" to tax

deductability?

your point about the families involved in the finance

companies is well taken. the level of fraud was

amazing and unbelievable that no prosecutions ever

came of the whole affair.

what is even more interesting is this type of behavior

is not limited to the wealthy. many in the middle class,

particulary those with family businesses are not even

in the tax reporting system. these are people who

own houses, cars, businesses, live well etc., not just

those struggling to get by (who wouldn't have to pay

taxes anyway, but just don't file). there is no

connection between the different departments to

find, and make these people pay.

but, even with this, everyone will still go back to the

fact that none of these people are prime minister of

the country. and the opposition to taxsin, is not

solely about taxes. it can be said it is about morals

and ethics - which is true. but for an 'frothing'

outsider, it is more about the rest of the institutions

in the country - legal, judiciary, police, central

bank, markets, etc. if these were functioning

properly, it wouldn't matter if there was no PM.

surely there would be uncertaintity - but no wide scale

concerns about unrest.

the problem is, taxsin vacating the PM position, is like

having a mafia godfather step down, because the country

is really run that way.

fix the institutions.

so basically what you are saying is that one of the stupidest things

that is done within education ministries around the world is a

'highlight' of the taxsin/TRT administration?

it could be argued that not "considering or suggesting" that the

funds from selling lottery tickets were "paper-trailed" to the

education department at least didn't insult anyone's intelligence.

My point is that it is a very lame statement of fact.

There is some frothing going on both sides here (such

is politics). But on more than a few occasions, when

asked directly to give examples of concrete contributions

of the Taxsin administration, nothing ever seems to

come forth.

A fact is a fact, especially when neutrally stated. You're quite within your right to label whatever you want as lame or stupid, it doesn't change the original fact. The fact is that no other administration has ever made an attempt to change a long standing tradition of making lottery revenue = education ministry revenue. And actually I can't think of a better use for such funds in any gov't anywhere.

I didn't know I was on "Heng's Candid Camera" program... :o

Where's it located? I'll save some of that frothing saliva for it's lens....

A fact is a fact, especially when neutrally stated. You're quite within your right to label whatever you want as lame or stupid, it doesn't change the original fact. The fact is that no other administration has ever made an attempt to change a long standing tradition of making lottery revenue = education ministry revenue. And actually I can't think of a better use for such funds in any gov't anywhere.

'lame' is the colloquial form of 'weak' - which doesn't make it

stupid or any less of a fact (neither of which i said).

i appreciate that you actually use some facts in your discussion.

however, i am suprised that given that the position you take is

often to defend the administration (i fail to recall you taking a

position critical of the administration), that you can't come up

with something better than that.

5 years at the helm and the TRT is able to paper-trail funds

from the lottery to the education ministry? sounds like these

guys might have a hard time writing thier resumes....

we don't need to bother getting into a debate about what

the actual funding needs are of the education system in

thailand and how these needs are being met much more

effectively with this change in accounting.

one of the facts that recently came up during these types of

discussions, is that after 5 years, not one infrastructure project

to allieviate transportation problems within the bangkok

metropolitan area has been either funded, started, or

completed. not exactly a divided government preventing

progress on this - but we do have a bunch of maps of

bangkok with multi-colored lines on them. i guess we

might count as a success, the inability of the TRT to block

the skytrain extension to Bang Khae, eh?

i look forward to your next factiod. i really do.

'lame' is the colloquial form of 'weak' - which doesn't make it

stupid or any less of a fact (neither of which i said).

i appreciate that you actually use some facts in your discussion.

however, i am suprised that given that the position you take is

often to defend the administration (i fail to recall you taking a

position critical of the administration), that you can't come up

with something better than that.

5 years at the helm and the TRT is able to paper-trail funds

from the lottery to the education ministry? sounds like these

guys might have a hard time writing thier resumes....

we don't need to bother getting into a debate about what

the actual funding needs are of the education system in

thailand and how these needs are being met much more

effectively with this change in accounting.

one of the facts that recently came up during these types of

discussions, is that after 5 years, not one infrastructure project

to allieviate transportation problems within the bangkok

metropolitan area has been either funded, started, or

completed. not exactly a divided government preventing

progress on this - but we do have a bunch of maps of

bangkok with multi-colored lines on them. i guess we

might count as a success, the inability of the TRT to block

the skytrain extension to Bang Khae, eh?

i look forward to your next factiod. i really do.

Well, my factoids will be few and far between as I don't follow politics too closely (and as mentioned, I've never voted).

The fact remains that no one has given that particular means of funding a shot, ever, before the TRT came to power, regardless of whether you feel they actually did or did not do so (I assume that your definition of "weak" implies they perhaps did not do so).

You're talking about projects under the helm of the Democrat controlled BMA? I haven't followed anything project by project, but at the grass roots level, intersections, bridges, flyovers, roads, are being built and maintained/expanded the same as they always have (although I've only been here for 7 years so can't really compare current construction pace to previous administrations) in my area of town. I can only comment on areas that are near my real estate holdings (as those are the areas I'm most often around).... but just in the last few years (credit who you will, I'm thankful nonetheless), a part dirt/part two lane Romklao road is now a 6 lane road from Sukapibal 3 to the motorway. Sukapibal 3 itself has been improved from a poorly paved road, and patchy dirt/gravel in many areas into a very nice 4-6 lane road all to Suwintawong Rd. Just these developments pretty much guarantee rather juicy appreciations in property value and certainly guarantee that I'll be raising rents considerably next time around for a handful of road side (now street side and boulevard side) tenants. If I don't seem critical of the current administration in regards to transport and infrastruction in Bangkok, it's because I don't have too many things to complain about, period. It doesn't mean I am staunchly pro or anti the current administration though. I prefer to credit myself and my family for the quality of life we enjoy, which is the main reason why I find those who feel the need to blame whatever party is in power for their own difficulties, a bit perplexing.

For my export operations, again, credit who you will, but the Baht has been fairly stable since 97. I have transfered funds from dollars to Baht just about every single day of the work week and can't recall it being outside of the 39-43 Baht range (just a few cents of fluctuation). I typically don't have to adjust prices for years on end.. None of my customers even mention forex, they're all concerned with fuel price fluctuations. That's stability.

I don't know who restarted construction of the elevated train along the old Hopewell line, but they are indeed working on it.

This isn't meant as pro or anti Thaksin as well (but it'll come across as pro Thaksin), but apart from the folks on this webboard who complain about the PM, the other most common critics of him are those who are members or heads of families that run gambling operations (typically sports book and underground lottery) here. I usually don't delve too deeply into discussion with these folks as I usually like to keep these folks at arms length anyway, but that says to me that these crackdowns on organized gambling isn't just for show or for points at the poll. The complaints are almost universally, "it's a lot harder to make a living under Thaksin." Most of these folks have legal businesses as well, so they are still doing pretty well, but an admistration that can actually push folks like these, that NO ONE has ever been able to push before, is at least in my eyes effective. Anti Thaksin critics usually reply to such statements as "well, they are simply doing criminal activities somewhere else." Frankly I find it difficult to believe that these folks somehow have better access to criminal activity information (and a bird's eye view one at that).

Again, these are simply just a few grassroots examples (I see things being built and completed, the currency is stable, business is good, property values are going up, criminals are complaining) of local happenings that people who like to credit or blame the current administration for may take as results of some strings being pulled in some unseen place. (and again, I do not; I prefer to look at it as a constantly changing environment that anyone can prosper in if they simply made an effort to) It'd be nice to hear of some counter examples at the same level, instead of vague emotion packed generalizations.

You're talking about projects under the helm of the Democrat controlled BMA? I haven't followed anything project by project, but at the grass roots level, intersections, bridges, flyovers, roads, are being built and maintained/expanded the same as they always have (although I've only been here for 7 years so can't really compare current construction pace to previous administrations) in my area of town.

Most large scale infrastructure changes i have seen in the early to mid 90s until up to the crises. When i came here first in '89 it still took about 4 hours from the airport to town for lack of express ways. The last large scale infrastructure changes were the skytrain and the underground, both implemented under the Chuan government. Under Thaksin i have not seen any real changes apart from little bits here and there. Still waiting for serious work to start on the long planned extensions of underground and skytrain.

It takes me about 30-45 minutes from Sukapibal 3/Ramakhamaeng house and office also from my Pratunam condo. Given, that's typically in the middle of the night.

I suppose one could blame the gov't for not taking the quickest route to reducing traffic, by heavily increasing taxes on automobiles. Just a few strokes of the pen, no tunnel digging required.

Talking about digging - they've been working on Kaset intersection for almost two years now, and that six lane Sukhaphiban 3 - how long did it take them to finish those flyovers/bridges? Romklao was a fast job, granted, but when are they going to finish with Romklao/Motorway flyovers? It's been over two years for sure, the trees have grown all big and green. I don't know what they are doing but it's still under construction.

And what about Nimitmai just a bit farther out - five years ago it was perfect for fast driving, now it's all covered with uneven surface patches - apparently waterworks authority has dug it all up and left bumps and holes. No fun, keep your foot on the brake at all times, especially at night.

All this road building is built in into government budget no mater who the PM is anyway.

It takes me about 30-45 minutes from Sukapibal 3/Ramakhamaeng house and office also from my Pratunam condo. Given, that's typically in the middle of the night.

I suppose one could blame the gov't for not taking the quickest route to reducing traffic, by heavily increasing taxes on automobiles. Just a few strokes of the pen, no tunnel digging required.

That's fine for those who can afford the luxury of a vehicle to get to workand back when they could use public transport. Those who actually work in/from a vehicles wouldn't agree.

There's a serious need for stricter laws as in Mexico and other big cities. The smog and the 30 baht scheme surely go well along in Bangkok and other places.

Regional study ranks Thailand 10th most corrupt in Asia

By Ismail Wolff

A regional survey naming Thailand as the only country in Asia where corruption has worsened over the past year does not come as a surprise, anti-corruption advocates said yesterday.

The annual survey by Hong Kong-based think-tank Political and Economic Risk Consultancy (PERC) noted in its report high-level corruption cases in Thailand, including the recent sale of a Shin Corp stake by the family of Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The controversial sale has galvanized the former telecom tycoon's detractors into action.

"Thailand's case is special. Accusations of high-level corruption have been intensifying in recent months - to the point where they could affect political stability," the PERC survey said. Thailand was ranked 10th out of the 13 countries surveyed, and scored 7.64 out of 10, with 10 being the worst.

Tortrakul Yomnak, a co-founder of corruptionwatch.net and chair of the Working Committee to Study Corruption and Good Governance at the National Economic and Social Advisory Council, said the government has shown over the years that it has no intention of dealing with the problem of corruption.

"The Thaksin administration is not serious about tackling corruption. Even though the prime minister?s claims that he has no intention to and has never taken any money from anyone may be true, he supports every minister and every government official [who] is involved in corruption," Tortrakul said in an interview from the Sanam Luang protests last night.

Thaksin's promises to tackle corruption within the government and replace corrupt ministers with trustworthy ones have never been realized, Tortrakul said.

Thaksin has announced recently that tackling corruption was among the top agenda of the government, but the Thaksin administration and many of its top ministers as well as the prime minister's family have been plagued with widespread allegations of corruption.

Staunch anti-government critic Sondhi Limthongkul, who last year initiated a mass movement to oust the prime minister, has consistently highlighted cases of alleged corruption in the government.

However, critics say the government has failed to address the allegations and has consistently worked to undermine a number of institutions, such as the National Counter Corruption Commission.

"Corruption [cases] over recent years [have] definitely increased and that is very clear through widespread allegations [about] the new Suvarnabhumi Airport and other major projects," Veera Somkwamkit, an anti-corruption activist and co-founder of corruptionwatch.net said yesterday. "The corruptionwatch website was such a threat that the government worked to close it down, but it has now reopened under the address of thaicorruptionwatch.net."

Tortrakul also noted the high-profile case of Khunying Jaruvan Maintaka, who was kept from holding office as auditor general for nearly 18 months, is an indication of the Thaksin administration?s lack of resolve to deal with corruption.

"Khunying Jaruvan knows many cases that could push the prime minister out of office,"Tortrakul said. "And she has said publicly that her knowledge of the prime minister's wife's buying of government land, although unintentionally, is the reason she was being forced out,"Tortrakul said.

"People are aware...of all these corruption allegations, but it seems the government continues to be able to work to avoid them."

post-27080-1141081582_thumb.jpg

That's fine for those who can afford the luxury of a vehicle to get to workand back when they could use public transport. Those who actually work in/from a vehicles wouldn't agree.

There's a serious need for stricter laws as in Mexico and other big cities. The smog and the 30 baht scheme surely go well along in Bangkok and other places.

Naturally, they wouldn't agree. :D That's why it would be a luxury. And naturally the goal of such a move would be to get more people onto public transport. Packed in like sardines if need be. I think Singapore as an example is better than Mexico.

Talking about digging - they've been working on Kaset intersection for almost two years now, and that six lane Sukhaphiban 3 - how long did it take them to finish those flyovers/bridges? Romklao was a fast job, granted, but when are they going to finish with Romklao/Motorway flyovers? It's been over two years for sure, the trees have grown all big and green. I don't know what they are doing but it's still under construction.

And what about Nimitmai just a bit farther out - five years ago it was perfect for fast driving, now it's all covered with uneven surface patches - apparently waterworks authority has dug it all up and left bumps and holes. No fun, keep your foot on the brake at all times, especially at night.

All this road building is built in into government budget no mater who the PM is anyway.

Didn't time them on the bridges. The pace of development from the small investor point of view is already way too fast (for acquisitions). If anything IMO they should slow it down a bit.

There's no need for a Romklao motorway flyover yet. At least not until I get a few more lots off of Romklao.

In general life in the LOS is paradise no matter who the PM is anyway.

There's no need for a Romklao motorway flyover yet. At least not until I get a few more lots off of Romklao.

In general life in the LOS is paradise no matter who the PM is anyway.

Fabulous !!! :o

It should end the debate now... :D