Satellite Tv Options

mrireland

I have true broadband in the apartment im in and i get the TV free, theres a decent amount of channels but theres only like a couple of english channels but ive no idea what company its from. The guys running the apartment havent great english to figure out what it is.

I know true also have TV channel package from a brochure i got and i was looking to get decent TV installed so ive a few more english channels but mainly for the sport so i can see some of the premiership games. Trouble is trueonline is all in thai so i have no idea what to do to get it installed. Any ideas of the best way, just ring true, do they have english speaking people, is it easy to switch to True TV the free one i have isnt true and is True the best, from googling seems to be True or UBC?

Any english links to see what packages are available

If you want Premier League Football, you need True which now has a dedicated rugby channel as well as golf and tennis but understandably infuriates those who prefer Baseball and NFL. The best way to get information is go to the True office upstairs in Siam TV so they can explain the options including Hi definition and recording (PVR)

Remember you live in an apartment, so you would have to get it agreed by the owners....not sure they are going to let you stick a dish on their building, but maybe they can have a separate feed from the existing dish or something. You would need to get someone from True around to see what they can do?

Is this really the case, to be honest i thought it was something similar to home where its all run through ground cables etc even though i know i specifically said satellite. I was actually in there today and they said all i need is my rental contract agreement and their coming tomorrow and they didnt mention the landlords agreement, not sure where they would stick up the dish tbh, its 5 floors up so i cant see them getting on a ladder to do it but im sure there is a way.

Just bumping this to confirm if the true TV channels are only installed via a satellite dish. Looking around the other apartments i don't see 1 dish anywhere so sounds like i have to cancel this, will ring the landlords agent tomorrow to confirm but i just wanted to make sure the only way true install is via a dish and not via underground cable or something? I thought the buildings would be wired for this type of thing to make it easy but looking unlikely.

Giving that is there any other non satellite dish options, this WETV, can you add more channels to it or anything?

Just bumping this to confirm if the true TV channels are only installed via a satellite dish. Looking around the other apartments i don't see 1 dish anywhere so sounds like i have to cancel this, will ring the landlords agent tomorrow to confirm but i just wanted to make sure the only way true install is via a dish and not via underground cable or something? I thought the buildings would be wired for this type of thing to make it easy but looking unlikely.

Giving that is there any other non satellite dish options, this WETV, can you add more channels to it or anything?

Satellite Dish is the only way. You can add more channels to WETV but don't bother. The digital package of an additional 150? channels is just a bunch of worthless channels that you will never watch (advertising, Thai soaps, etc., etc.).

Ok will do, an excuse to buy a decent TV so on my way, where is Siam TV? And definitely sounds like WETV sick of watching universal and Scif Fi, im watching the same programs over and over and over.

Don't imagine that changing to True will allow you to escape watching the same programmes over and over and to that you have to add 10 or more minutes of promotions for the next "attraction" every hour as well. A miserable televisual experience.

Is this really the case, to be honest i thought it was something similar to home where its all run through ground cables etc even though i know i specifically said satellite. I was actually in there today and they said all i need is my rental contract agreement and their coming tomorrow and they didnt mention the landlords agreement, not sure where they would stick up the dish tbh, its 5 floors up so i cant see them getting on a ladder to do it but im sure there is a way.

Yes, your building WILL have a dish on the roof if it has True, does not matter how many storeys high, within reason. It is similar to home, the same as Sky in the UK. I had Sky installed in a block of 18 apartments 4 storeys high, the feed leaves the one dish on the roof, then down to a load of 'splitters' which then distributed the signal to each individual apartment, same principle as in your apartment here.

I've got True but most of my TV viewing experiences are via the Internet nowadays. You can find nearly anything you want and watch when it's convenient without the missus and kids interferring. No advertisments and you can pause when you need to get another beer from the fridge. I think cable channels will need to start offering their products via Internet otherwise they will go the way of Kodak.

You should check what True offers, I think they have a good spread of sports and entertainment programs but the sports are more European than American. The entertainment and movie options are quite good in my opinion but you must make your own judgement assuming you can get it in your condo. Personally I use a PVR (personal video recorder) and don't have the hassle of the 8-10 minutes per hour that any USA sourced programme has in place of the advertisements that were originally there, it also allows me to watch Premier League 'late' matches at a time to suit me.

Good 'phraseology' Khun Greenside, re: "A miserable televisual experience."

WETV is the only cable guy in town. The Big U is spot on. Seems the signal is not its old self lately; but, all in all, good value for money.

Unless your appartment landlord agrees, drilling large holes in his wall to support your dish, is probably problematic. Many condos use a central sever otherwise the myriad of holes degrade the structure, and leak.

Rotweiler, yes you can buy a box ,use on your own dish or buy one,

to view 1Sky,but they only have a couple of channels in English,

worth watching , been Warner and ASN and none in HD i think

So they are not a viable option yet.

regards Worgeordie

Well all went well, rang agent that morning, they got in touch with landlord and there was no problem, guys were in and out in 20 mins so no drilling or anything, looks like it was setup already.

Couple of things, went to true office in Siam TV, they had barely a word of english but they asked for 2k baht, which i gave them, then when the technician arrived he also asked for 2k, i expected to pay a deposit as i had to with true broadband so i didnt even ask for a receipt, should i have to pay 2k twice and since i dont have a receipt what are the chances of getting my 2k back, im guessing ill gets lots of "dont understand" when i go asking for it back and of course they dont speak english and i dont speak thai

Anyway back to serious matters....TV

I want to get it installed in my bedroom too since i have a spare TV, technician seemed to suggest i need to go back to True and order another box to be installed, if thsts true any idea how much extra per month and also do i have to pay another 2k deposit :)

Also i notice a bunch of channels have a lock symbol on them even though i went for the top package platinum and also so are the HD channels, my box says HD but i guess i have to pay extra for HD, are the HD channels duplicates of what i already have or extra channels

Main reason im getting them is for Premier League football but it has a bunch more channels than WETV, a ton more really so although i agree its a bit crap its a huge improvement, expensive enough for the platinum at 2100 baht though, quality is miles better in comparison to WETV so im reasonably happy and thanks for all the help guys.

Very last thing, my tv in the bedroom dosent have a HDMI cable or scart but it has audio/video and so does the box so i presume it will work fine like that

Hmm... a lot of questions but...to answer a couple...there is a deposit, 2K sounds about right or maybe on the low side. There is an installation fee but 2k sounds high. As far as getting the 2nd TV hooked up, you should have slipped the installer a few hundred Baht to hook up the other TV. When the guy came to my house (long time ago before I dumped True) I slipped him a few hundred and he came back early before work the next morning to hook up the upstairs TV. I also paid him another 500 Baht for the box which you will need to make the remote work (you can also buy it at Amorn for the same price), and about 100 Baht for a clone remote control and quite a lot of extra cable which he just happened to have on the company truck.

Main reason im getting them is for Premier League football but it has a bunch more channels than WETV, a ton more really so although i agree its a bit crap its a huge improvement, expensive enough for the platinum at 2100 baht though, quality is miles better in comparison to WETV so im reasonably happy and thanks for all the help guys.

Same here, the Premier League coverage, FA Cup and La Liga are exceptional value, plus other sports coverage including Rugby. Hopefully, one day they will come to their senses and add Cricket. I have the Gold package which is good enough for me at 1,568 Baht, but I've just added BBC Entertainment for 170 Baht and enjoy the drama series like Silent Witness, Ashes to Ashes, Waking the Dead, Criminal Justice etc, plus a few good old British comedies like Allo Allo, Blackadder etc. I don't have HD and don't really want it.