Non-O Marriage

Hi,

I just returned to LOS with a 1 year non-o marriage visa expiring February 2013.

At the border, immigration provided me with a stamp admitted until May 2012. Is this correct? Should it not have been admitted until February 2013 instead with a 90 day reporting? On my arrival/departure card it says now admitted until May 2012 and does that means I have to leave the country before this date or a 90 day reporting will do?

Thanks

A one year multi-entry visa allows unlimited entries of 90 days each, the officer was correct. If you want to stay longer than 90 days without leaving, you need to apply for a one year "Extension of Stay" based on marriage. You would need to show an income of 40,000 Baht per month or 400,000 Baht in a bank account, plus the marriage documents, etc.

90 day address reports are for those staying 90 consecutive days or longer.

Edited by beechguy

It would seem you entered the Kingdom some time in February (date not posted) which simply means you must leave Thailand in 90 days + May (date ?) you can then re-enter immediately for a further 90 days May - August when you are required to leave and re-enter for a further 90 days August November and the saga continues November - February Your 12 month multi entry visa will expire in February 2013.

Tip - you can make this 12 month visa run for 15 months by legally leaving and re-entering before the February issue/expiry date be sure you note the issue date .

This advice is given in good faith and I have assumed your 12 month Non Immg "O" is multi entry otherwise you can only enter the once and your time in Thailand on that visa is limited to one period of 90 days. (In this case the 12 month only indicates the 90 days can be anywhere between Februay 2012 and Febuary 2013).

Unless you follow the extension route as advised in the previous post by beechguy who is right on the button except to clarify the unlimited entry/exit must occur within the 12 month life of that visa please do not read it as unlimited exit/entry forever. (I understand beechguy did not mean forever but I thought it was worth clarifying for your benefit).

Litebeer has advised until visa expires which is 12 months from date of issue and quite often the vis will read:

date of issue 5 jun 2011

enter before 4 jun 2012

Do not leave your last run until 5 jun 2012 immigration will in 99% of cases apply it as expiring 4 jun 2012 and only give you a 15 day entry visa due to your 12 month multi entry having expired.

Edited by mijan24

Thanks for the info.

However this is clearly NOT what I was thinking it was; the non-o marriage multiple entree. Before I had the non-o retirement and I was thinking having the same kind of visa in my passport now.

So I will get a 90 days stay every time I enter LOS? Even if I enter by land? Not have to do the 90 days reporting anymore?

Thanks again.

A Non O Multi Entry Visa issued by a Thai Consulate for Marriage or Retirement is the same thing.

Multiple entries of up to 90 days each entry.

meaning you have to leave the country every 90 days and not report to Immigration.

Exactly what did you have last time?

And where did you get it from?

coffee1.gif Beechguy has it right.

Your one year non O visa is a multi entry visa that allows you unlimited entrries until it expires, each entry will get you a 90 day "permitted to stay" stamp in your passport. That "permitted to stay" stamp makes it legal for you to be here while it's valid.

Now that VISA is a seperate thing from a marriage EXTENSION...you still have to apply for that. Once the extension is granted your visa will be extended for a year based on marriage to a Thai. When that extension is granted, then you will need to report each 90 days to your local immigration office...your 90 day reporting.

The visa and the extension are seperate things, you see.

licklips.gif

Before, my non-o retirement visa was probably an extension as I did not have to leave the country every other 90 days, just reporting. I made a mistake by not informing myself better in advance and trusting other peoples advice.....

Thanks anyway to all.

Before, my non-o retirement visa was probably an extension as I did not have to leave the country every other 90 days, just reporting. I made a mistake by not informing myself better in advance and trusting other peoples advice.....

Thanks anyway to all.

If you dont want to leave each 90 days you can always switch to a Retirement extension if you qualify financially and then you will be back to reporting each 90 days.

If you had retirement and did not have to exit every 90 days it would have been the non immigrant O-A visa which has a one year extension on arrival (A)proved.

Do not leave your last run until 5 jun 2012 immigration will in 99% of cases apply it as expiring 4 jun 2012 and only give you a 15 day entry visa due to your 12 month multi entry having expired.

I have not seen any such report in the last decade; and even before that they normally allowed. If 99% it must be allowed rather than disallowed. But would still do a day early to be completely safe.

If you had retirement and did not have to exit every 90 days it would have been the non immigrant O-A visa which has a one year extension on arrival (A)proved.

I have not seen any such report in the last decade; and even before that they normally allowed. If 99% it must be allowed rather than disallowed. But would still do a day early to be completely safe.

Lopburi 3 I respect your knowledge and wisdom on visa issues but the timing/dates has been a problem in the past in Nong Khai I think I posted it when it occurred - it was not such a big deal as the immigration officein KK then gave me a 2 month extension but in my experience it can be a trap for the unwary.cowboy.gif

Edited by mijan24

So you crossed into Laos at Nong Khai on the expiration date of your multi entry visa and they only allowed you 15 days on return saying visa expired the previous day because of the English 'use by' phrase (or perhaps told you before exit but you had no choice)? But then KK later extended 60 days for wife or child?

I did have an officer say they could do that about 10 years ago (but I was a day early as normal so did not test it) but have not seen any recent reports that it was happening but have seen that they did actually allow on the last day. Guess I missed that or did not register. Nong Khai is noted for exceptions for office matters but entry has always been normal procedures AFAIK. All the more reason to be sure to do a day early - but if not possible believe most will allow on the final day as many, if not most, travelers expect it to expire at end of the date indicated.

Lopburi 3 I respect your knowledge and wisdom on visa issues but the timing/dates has been a problem in the past in Nong Khai I think I posted it when it occurred - it was not such a big deal as the immigration officein KK then gave me a 2 month extension but in my experience it can be a trap for the unwary..

Vis issued 26 Nov 2008

Enter before 25 Nov 2009

All went well leaving and returng each 90 days

Then departed 17 Oct 2009

Admitted until 14 Jan 2010

Looking to extend out to extra months over the original 12

Departed 26 Nov 2009

Into Lao 26 Nov 2009 admitted until 25 Dec 2009

Departed Lao 26 Nov 2009

Re - entered Thailand 26 Nov 2009 (advised the visa sates enter before 25 Nov 2009

Therefore Admitted to Thailand until 10 Dec 2009

Visited Immigration office Khon Kaen extension of stay permitted until 8 Feb 2010

Revisited KK immigration 5 Feb 2010 granted further extension of stay until 9 May 2010

Actually departed 6 Mar 2010.

Take no notice of 2nd extension of satay this was obtained as I had been hospitalised again.

Please do not take this post as a debate with Lopburi 3 its just to highlight some immigration officers can apply their reading of the letter of the law as Lopburi 3 said Don't Leave it Until the Last Day which my case supports 1000%

Edited by mijan24

Believe we are cross talking here - I agree the 26th would be too long - but my point is that they will allow until the end of the 25th but the English language would indicate you must enter before that date (on the 24th would be last allowed usage) and they used to occasionally tell people that.

Believe we are cross talking here - I agree the 26th would be too long - but my point is that they will allow until the end of the 25th but the English language would indicate you must enter before that date (on the 24th would be last allowed usage) and they used to occasionally tell people that.

Lopburi 3 you are right on the ball as always - it is all in the interpretation:

Vis issued 26 Nov 2008

Enter before 25 Nov 2009

Enter before is the key.

My mistake was assuming 12 months meant from date of issue.

Of course fully understood now isn't hindsight greatdrunk.gif