Is There Any Professional Bookbinding Shop In Bangkok?

Misterwhisper

Hi, do any of you long-term residents of Bangkok perhaps know a good traditional bookbinder's workshop in the capital? I am talking a REAL bookbinder’s here, NOT one of the ubiquitous office supply shops that can produce softcover books with glued spines. Traditional bookbinding is a rather labour-intensive craft done by hand.

I have quite a few antique books that unfortunately (and unnoticed) fell prey to a recent house mice infestation. The damage is primarily confined to the cover boards. While some have escaped relatively unscathed, others need professional re-binding with a new cover. A viable shop also may be able to carry out minor repairs and/or restore some of the lesser-damaged covers.

It’s a very specialized art, I know, and my hopes are not very high. But any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You might want to contact universities. Some libraries were affected by the floods and they found people who could restore some of the books professionally. I read this in a newspaper but don't recall which university that was.

A bit vague, but I hope the general direction helps.

• 4 months later...

I am a hand bookbinder but sorry, I am from Melbourne, Australia. Just returned from our first visit to Phuket and loved it so much we are planning on coming back possibly in Sept. and looking at the possibility of semi retiring and hence continue binding so I am also looking for real bookbinders in Thailand. Would like you to keep me informed of your search.

peterL

• 1 month later...