Renewing A 1 Year Driver'S Licence To A 5 Years Licence

Charlie

I have a 1 year Thai Driver's Licence.

The question I would like to ask is this.

I want to renew it to a 5 years licence.

Can I renew it before the expiry date or

after the expiry date ?

Any more tests to be taken?

More info on this is much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

I have a 1 year Thai Driver's Licence.

The question I would like to ask is this.

I want to renew it to a 5 years licence.

Can I renew it before the expiry date or

after the expiry date ?

Any more tests to be taken?

More info on this is much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

I got 5 year in bangkok after 1 year in phujet. Before expiry. Land office near chatuchak park. Better bring a friend who speaks thai. Very simple but takes time but you can renew registration in drive through. After expiry they said cannot get new one. No test just documents work permit and visa.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Thanks beachyman.

Do I need a doctor's letter ?

Can I renew it 2 months or 1 month earlier ?

Thank you all in advance.

Yes, doctors note plus a copy.

It has to have less than 30 days left to renew, well that's what I was told when I renewed but TIT. :-)

You'll also need all the original paper work that you used to apply for the one year; visa, workpermit or letter of residency.

Don't forget to have a spare copy of everything sighed just in case they want to give you the run around.

Thanks beachyman.

It has to have less than 30 days left to renew, well that's what I was told when I renewed but TIT. :-)

You'll also need all the original paper work that you used to apply for the one year; visa, workpermit or letter of residency.

Don't forget to have a spare copy of everything sighed just in case they want to give you the run around.

The 5 years is automatic the second time around. Same documentation as first time. I believe now you have to listen to the mandatory video, so take a newspaper.

The 30 days before sounds reasonable as most people, even in the west, don't renew until close to the date of expiry.

The 5 years is automatic the second time around. Same documentation as first time. I believe now you have to listen to the mandatory video, so take a newspaper.

The 30 days before sounds reasonable as most people, even in the west, don't renew until close to the date of expiry.

Take some good music in form of a MP 4 player, just in case if you'll have to watch the movie in Thai about the dangers in LOS Might have to make some simple reaction test, which I'd passed being on crutches........P.S. Don't forget to smile.....jap.gif

Thanks beachyman.

Stefan is correct sorry I was on vacation, I have a no internet policy :) good luck

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Go after expiry. You will get a new 5-year license plus the time till your first birthday, so normally almost 6 years.

I did the 1 year to 5 year in Pattaya today and I got the new one which is valid for 5 years and 10 Months. (expires on my Birthday)

Needed the following documents

Original letter of Residency from Immigration (Also copy work permit would have been accepted)

Original Doctor's certificate (Not required if you renew a 5 year License)

Copy of Passport page

Copy of Old Driving License

Copy of Non - O Visa

Copy of Extension of Stay (Until Date)

Copy of Departure Card

Original Driving License

Had to take three tests

- Colors Chart

- Break Test

- Align two sticks

After you pass these three tests, you go and pay (Car license only 655 THB) and get Photographed and get your license.

If you renew a 5 year license you have to watch a video after you pass the three tests.

Arrived at 7:30, and left with a brand new purple 5 years driving license at around 10:00.

They told me you could go for renewal 2 months before the license and not more then 1 year after.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi All

Just a brief note to comment on my pleasant experience of renewing my Thai driving licences. I have just successfully completed as of the 1st August the renewing of both of my 1 year initial temporary driving licences, to 5+ Years Full private versions ( purple band )

Arrived at the Eastern Verification Center at 8:15am on the 1st Aug and a Q already existed at the bottom of stairs to 2nd floor.

I Joined the Q with all paperwork in hand.. consisting of Certificate of residence. Medical cert, Passport with Non "O" stamps, The 2 still current temporary Thai driving licences ( Green Band ) and copies of all. The Q moved swiftly and within a few minutes I had handed over all my paperwork, licences and passport, signed an application x2, and was handed a green ticket, asked to sit at LHS of seating area and wait to be called. Within approx 10 min, the Thai conducting the vision tests called both red and green ticket holders to join the Q. All of us ( approx 10 ) completed only the colour and peripheral tests. 1 young Thai failed the peripheral test, after being given 3 attempts, and was sent away. He then instructed all of those that had been given red tickets to return to their seats and those of us that had been given green tickets ( 3 ppl ) to proceed to another desk where I was handed back my passport, then to another desk to pay, then sit and wait. Within minutes I was called ( by my name in english ) to another desk where I was handed my old driving licences, now with 2 holes in each, through the green band section, photo taken electronically, and asked to sit and wait again. 5 min later I was called and handed both my new 5 years licences, which would you believe are dated from the 18th August 2012 ( expiry date of temp licences ) up until my birthday in April 2018. Total receipted costs 1060 Thai Baht.

Walking in to walking out time about 1hr.. and a pleasant.. hassle free experience. smile.png

Rgds

Mark

Would i be correct in thinking that i would need two letter's of residence / plus two medical certs from doctor for car/motor bike licence renewal from 1yr to 5yr ?? p.s i am in the Pattaya area for renewal.................

Would i be correct in thinking that i would need two letter's of residence / plus two medical certs from doctor for car/motor bike licence renewal from 1yr to 5yr ?? p.s i am in the Pattaya area for renewal.................

No, just the one for both.

• Like 1

Thanks for that............

That shows that offices are different. In Ubon they wanted two of each, one for each license, I had to get copies done on sight. No test. smile.png

I believe you cannot get a 5 year on a tourist visa, only O visas.

That shows that offices are different. In Ubon they wanted two of each, one for each license, I had to get copies done on sight. No test. smile.png

I believe you cannot get a 5 year on a tourist visa, only O visas.

Your'e right TA, I walked into the Pak Chong branch with only my car& bike licenses and my passport. I was asked for nothing else and walked out in less than 30 minutes. That is where I originally got the licenses, so maybe that was the reason, who knows....

You will need the originals of both the medical certificate, and certificate of residency for one of the applications and a copy of each will suffice for the second application.

Rgds

You will need the originals of both the medical certificate, and certificate of residency for one of the applications and a copy of each will suffice for the second application.

Rgds

Thanks Mark i was hoping this would be the case.