Mitsubishi Triton

pluto_manibo

I went to check out the new triton 4x4 4 door cab....I wasn't impressed by the avant garde body...It looks very plasticy, what attracted me was the amazing power from the 3.2 liter turbo engine...at a whopping 165 HP, it is quite appealing. Another good feature is the attention given to the cabin, nicer finishes compared to the competitors, leather interior, double airbag, electric seats, electric back window(innovation in thailand).... The only drawback is that the manual version of the 4x4 3.2 liter 4 door cab doesn't come with passenger airbag, no electric back window, no leather seats, no electric seats....and I prefer manual, I don't like the lag in automatics and the lack of control over the rpms....Has anyone test driven it or bought it? I would love to hear your comments....How does the automatic feel..responsive? The demo model, I saw had 20 inch wheels on it...it looked nice but how would the ride feel with 20 "? For whats' out there, I think Mitsubishi really gives more bang for the buck in terms of engine and interior with this model....

My brother-in-law keeps a close eye on the trucks offered here in Thailand. He says the same: Mitsubishi offers more for your money with the new Triton than the competitors. I am very interested in the new Triton and I look forward to test driving one sometime in the near future. I am interested in the 4 door, manual transmission model. I'm not too concerned about the engine size although I would probably opt for the 2.5 liter as I'm interested in a non-turbo, 2wd version. The look of the truck from the outside is a bit funny but the overall package looks good. I think the one I'm interested in runs just a tad over 600K baht which isn't bad when compared to the competition.

In the latest BP motoring they wrote that Triton can't match Vigo's price and finance options - it has quite a few parts that are expensive. Vigo, on the other hand, is a part of IMV project that shares lots of parts for all its models so can keep prices down with mass production.

Mitsubishi also hasn't been able to come up with attractive financing, but that should change in the future.

I wouldn't worry about the looks - people will get used to it.

No one has driven it yet? No comments?? :D

...Any bought this Mitsubishi and would like to share their experience...?

I took a 4wd 2500cc GLX for a spin a couple of months back. Not bad at all. I like the interior a lot and the ride quality was pretty good. Only one gripe and thats the steering was a little too light with not much feedback.

I did put a deposit on the 3.2 with full options but in the end decided a pickup was too big for city driving so opted for a Mazda3 instead. :D (have to say that the Mitsu dealer wasn't very happy that I cancelled as the truck was due to arrive the day I cancelled....I think its still in the showroom on Sathorn now :o )

• 2 weeks later...

I like the interior of the Mitsu but the overall look of it is too much for me. Apparently the engines aren't as smooth as the Toyotas and traditionally Mitsu engines aren't that great. It definately sounds louder at idle. the power is only marginally more than the Vigos, probably nothing between them on the road.

Also Mitsu as a company are in big trouble.....

I just bought a Vigo so am probably prejudist towards Toyota but the Vigo is very refined.

Also financing was very flexible and the payments get taken automatically from the bank every month.

The dealer service is better - In my town at least. I also own a Mitsu Strada.

The thing I don't like about Vigo's are the colour choice or lack of it.

• 2 months later...
No one has driven it yet? No comments?? :o

...Any bought this Mitsubishi and would like to share their experience...?

Yes, i did buy the Mitrubishi Triton about 2 month ago. It is the 2,5 Automatic Version 4 door and am very happy with it. Additional i made a bit of a Facelift and extra interiors .... it is easy to drive on long distance and because it isn't too long it still is easy to use/park in Town. Furthermore it is very economic on the Diesel too . Can only recommend this nice Pick up .

rcm :D

post-27056-1140963278_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but Ms. B and I both think it one of the ugliest vehicles we've ever seen.

YMMV

Since my last car was a Mitsubishi, albeit a simple, single cab version, and i was extremely happy with it, there was no other car for me than the new Triton !

I got the manual 3.2 four-door and it exceeded all expectations ! It's smooth, silent and powerful !

I agree that the missing second air-bag is a serious fault, but safety is just not a big issue in Thailand !

The design is certainly innovative and needs some getting used to. But once you've grown accustomed to it, you will find all the other pick-ups clumsy and outdated looking !

Mike

post-23288-1140994889_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but Ms. B and I both think it one of the ugliest vehicles we've ever seen.

YMMV

Since my last car was a Mitsubishi, albeit a simple, single cab version, and i was extremely happy with it, there was no other car for me than the new Triton !

I got the manual 3.2 four-door and it exceeded all expectations ! It's smooth, silent and powerful !

I agree that the missing second air-bag is a serious fault, but safety is just not a big issue in Thailand !

Yes, the design is certainly innovative and needs some getting used to (which revolutionary design didn't?). But once you've grown accustomed to it, you will find all the other pick-ups clumsy and outdated looking !

Mike

Yes, the design is certainly innovative and needs some getting used to (which revolutionary design didn't?). But once you've grown accustomed to it, you will find all the other pick-ups clumsy and outdated looking !

Mike

Bought the 2.5 4x4 2 door last week and very happy with it.

Was concerned about the lack of air bags and rear seat belts.

When they start selling them in Europe with rear seat belts

I will try to get some fitted .

Great interior and smooth ride.Very quiet inside but sounds like an

old London cab at idle.

Beats any other pick-up on style and looks hands down IMO

I would worry about two things:

* High fuel consumption on the 3.2 liter model

* Low power on the 2.5 liter model.

Is the 2.5 liter also a modern common rail diesel engine with good fuel economy?

Toyota will probably hold its value a bit better, too.

Is the 2.5 liter also a modern common rail diesel engine with good fuel economy?

I don't know about the 3.2 ltr Model but they all run with the common rail diesel as for the 2,5 ltr model (mine is automatic) we are doing 13-14 km / ltr seating 4 adults(and one kid) and had loaded something as well. The Aircon was on too. So this is not bad at all . As for the Power i am very happy from what the 2,5 ltr delivers.

Toyota will hold it's value but so does the Mitsubishi (at least where i live).

My 3.2 (manual) uses between 9 and 10 litres per 100 km, but this is going slightly faster than my

competitors (sorry, . . . i mean fellow drivers !).

I could probably squeeze 8 litres out of it, if i pushed it.

Yes, the Toyota does hold it's value better (as does the Isuzu), but that's not because it's a better

car, but rather because of the common belief (here in Thailand) that it is.

Mike

Very True also, I bought the new hilander 2 months ago 3.0l and get about 15 litres so yes the fuel consumption is better, i dont mind the look of the Mitsu or Toyota but after driving the All three i much prefered the Isuzu. Also the extras on the Isuzu Twin Airbags, cd/tape/mp3 xenon headlights, rear belts, liner, free insurance well need i say more

Mike

Edited by Moonhunteruk

> Yes, the Toyota does hold it's value better (as does the Isuzu), but

> that's not because it's a better car, but rather because of the

> common belief (here in Thailand) that it is.

Yes, of course. Could/should have added that. Indeed, when buying a second hand car it's actually the Fords, Mazdas and Mitsubishis that are the most attractive.. Thais pay top dollar for even really old and crummy Isuzu's and Toyota's it seems. :o

> Yes, the Toyota does hold it's value better (as does the Isuzu), but

> that's not because it's a better car, but rather because of the

> common belief (here in Thailand) that it is.

Yes, of course. Could/should have added that. Indeed, when buying a second hand car it's actually the Fords, Mazdas and Mitsubishis that are the most attractive.. Thais pay top dollar for even really old and crummy Isuzu's and Toyota's it seems. :o

You're right except that i don't really care if i get after 5 years for my used Car 150000 or 135000 Thb . Also if you buy another Car and take the used one as Trade in they'll pay you regardless of it being a Toyota , mitsu or Isuzu...

Got my Triton a couple of weeks ago, 4 door, 4WD, automatic, 3.2 Had ordered a Vigo first but delivery was postponed three times so I cancelled and was driving a Triton one week later.

Liking the design is very personal, I do prefer the triton over the vigo, I find that car massive/aggressive without imagination but I went for it anyway because it seemed to get better ratings in tests.

Probably the engine and gearbox are somewhat smoother and more quiet. There is certainly a lot of power but in the Vigo as well.

I am very satisfied, the car drives rather close to a non-pickup, well .. .. sort of. I have driven 1400 Km so far and the beginning has been rather carefull and be nice to the car, it uses 1 liter on 11.7 km over those 1400 km driven in Chiang Mai city and the countryside.

No regrets about not waiting for the Vigo.

• 5 months later...

You can believe that Mitsubishi gives you more for your money. I had a Mitsubishi Triton for 8 Month before a Bus crashed into my Back. The Passenger Cabin is still in good condition, but Front and Back are gone. My next vehicle will be a Mitsubishi Triton again, but first I must recover from an fracture of one rib.

I went to check out the new triton 4x4 4 door cab....I wasn't impressed by the avant garde body...It looks very plasticy, what attracted me was the amazing power from the 3.2 liter turbo engine...at a whopping 165 HP, it is quite appealing. Another good feature is the attention given to the cabin, nicer finishes compared to the competitors, leather interior, double airbag, electric seats, electric back window(innovation in thailand).... The only drawback is that the manual version of the 4x4 3.2 liter 4 door cab doesn't come with passenger airbag, no electric back window, no leather seats, no electric seats....and I prefer manual, I don't like the lag in automatics and the lack of control over the rpms....Has anyone test driven it or bought it? I would love to hear your comments....How does the automatic feel..responsive? The demo model, I saw had 20 inch wheels on it...it looked nice but how would the ride feel with 20 "? For whats' out there, I think Mitsubishi really gives more bang for the buck in terms of engine and interior with this model....

resale price, Vigo beats the other

but who cares about resale. Whatever happened to people buying the car/truck/suv they want because they like it?

<rantmodeon>

I certainly don't care about resale value....so what if I buy a Triton and when I come to resell it in 5 years time its lost 20-50k more value than a Vigo? I prefer to consider that I've had 5 years motoring in a vehicle that I wanted to drive which is worth more to me than the 30-50k I'd loose against the other. It annoys me that most people here buy a car not because they like it or they want it....no they buy it because its a Toyota or a Honda and when they come to sell it they might get 20k more than the Mazda they actually liked the look of and prefered to drive.

<rantmodeoff>

Feel better now :o

For the record I just sold my Mazda 3 (8 months old) and bought a MU-7......I know others hate the MU-7 but I actually quite like it and I'm bored of Fortuner...there everywhere! Oh and I found in terms of value its way way superior to the Fortuner! Noisy? not in my experience. Dated design? Maybe but I like it. And the suspension is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be :D

Edited by moonoi

resale price, Vigo beats the other

but who cares about resale. Whatever happened to people buying the car/truck/suv they want because they like it?

<rantmodeon>

I certainly don't care about resale value....so what if I buy a Triton and when I come to resell it in 5 years time its lost 20-50k more value than a Vigo? I prefer to consider that I've had 5 years motoring in a vehicle that I wanted to drive which is worth more to me than the 30-50k I'd loose against the other. It annoys me that most people here buy a car not because they like it or they want it....no they buy it because its a Toyota or a Honda and when they come to sell it they might get 20k more than the Mazda they actually liked the look of and prefered to drive.

<rantmodeoff>

Feel better now :D

For the record I just sold my Mazda 3 (8 months old) and bought a MU-7......I know others hate the MU-7 but I actually quite like it and I'm bored of Fortuner...there everywhere! Oh and I found in terms of value its way way superior to the Fortuner! Noisy? not in my experience. Dated design? Maybe but I like it. And the suspension is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be :D

Congrats to your new MU 7 . If you ever get a chance and give us a review of your new Vehicle ,we would all like to read it. Perhaps you should try a different thread then, so we can easily locate it too.

rcm :o

Mitsubishi called me this week; they want to replace the sensor on the fuel filter. Am quite impressed that they took the effort to locate me; sounds like a vechical recall. Thats good service. I wonder if I would have got good service like this from Toyota?

What? Recalls? Never.

Thais usually keep quiet about recalls, if you read abount one, it's GM or something replacing tires in the US, never here.

Mazda 3 had a recall once, I think. After a couple of their cars caught fire. Less than a year after release.

Mitsubishi called me this week; they want to replace the sensor on the fuel filter. Am quite impressed that they took the effort to locate me; sounds like a vechical recall. Thats good service. I wonder if I would have got good service like this from Toyota?

I was pretty impressed with my friend's 2.5l Triton fuel consumption: 7.5l / 100K in hard mountain driving, dropping to to 6.5 on highway. That's really a small-car gas mileage, not at all what you would expect from a pretty substantial pick-up.

I am getting 11l/100K (9km/l) from my Fortuner, probably because I either drive very short distances or long distances over very steep mountains. I noticed that on a straight highway I get 12.5km/l. Anyway, it's a bit of a different car, too :o

Dunno how good the Toyota service will be, that shall be decided over the next 3 years - will let you know then :D So far they have been nice and removed the mouse-nest in the air-con twice without complaining.

.............and traditionally Mitsu engines aren't that great.

Where did you get this piece of misinformation from? I'm sure that you've heard of the Dakar Rally; a gruellingly extreme motoring experience over 10,000 kilometres from Paris to Dakar. The rally started in 1979 and, since then, Mitsubish has won 9 times (1985, 1992, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2004 and 20050. In 2004, Mitsubishi took the first, second, fifth and tenth places. Mitsubishi engines are rock solid in their engineering and the performance of these engines in any international rally bears this out.

Also, the general construction and strength of a Mitsubishi is superior to a Toyota. When you have the opportunity, compare the gauge of the spare wheel carrier on the back door of a G-Wagon to that of a Toyota SUV. Yes, Toyota reliability is justifiably renowned....but, doesn't Mitsubishi's rally performance and record speak volumes about the reliability of Mitsubishi engines?

Happy motoring. :o

Edited by Artisan