Goodbye Uk, Hello Thailand. I Think ?

autan

There is the cunning temporary option of renting a condo, or buying a condo. In effect buying time. I would rent and wait it out for a while.

Getting involved in land purchase and house buiding when you are not sure of living in Thailand = brain damage. It's brain damage at the best of times.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiangmaibruce also has a good point "What you can do is read up about "culture shock". People moving here typically go through different phases as they setlle in and you should read up about this so you can know what (maybe) to expect."

Some people love it and some hate it - and leave within 2-3 years.

Many others go through the 'culture shock' and learn to love the good parts, whilst learning to live with the 'bad' parts.

Its down to the individual, but others have also pointed out that renting for at least a year is a good idea. I ignored this advice, and regretted it.

My suggestion would be to wait, wait, wait. If you love it here after 5 years or something, then go for permanent residency or whatever it is and then buy your land and house in your name.

Permanent residency - in itself quite hard to get - does not enable the holder to own land.

There is only one way a foreigner may directly own land in Thailand, and it's extremely rare.

My suggestion would be to wait, wait, wait. If you love it here after 5 years or something, then go for permanent residency or whatever it is and then buy your land and house in your name.

Permanent residency - in itself quite hard to get - does not enable the holder to own land.

There is only one way a foreigner may directly own land in Thailand, and it's extremely rare.

Ah ok . . . My bad.

So what's this extremely rare way then?

There is the cunning temporary option of renting a condo, or buying a condo. In effect buying time. I would rent and wait it out for a while.

Getting involved in land purchase and house building when you are not sure of living in Thailand = brain damage. It's brain damage at the best of times.

Agree 100% - rent for 6/12 months before deciding to build. This gives you time to adjust (physically and mentally) and be certain that (a) you want to be here and (b Chiang Mai is where you want to be/build.

Edited by cardholder

I feel like I agreed to leave the UK to start a new life in Thailand and now its actually coming true, I am a little scared.

Has anyone else made the move and if they have what advise can they offer to ensure I fit in. Rather than going home broke and my tail between my legs.

Sorry for not making myself clear. This is half the problem, you see.

It's natural to be scared at the last moment and panic a bit. You are leaving a familiar environment you feel safe in and moving to live full time in Thailand. I think if you didn't have those fears you might not be thinking about it enough.

You have some big pluses in that you say you have spent about 10 months all up in Thailand over an 8 year period. Although you would have had your holiday goggles on during those visits, it should still have given you a reasonable taste of what you might expect.

I read one of your old posts and you seem to have a few assets and your own business back in the UK, debt free.. There has been some good sound advice on this thread about not burning those bridges, if, unfortunately things don't work out. If like myself you have worked hard to build up the assets that you have, you don't want to put that hard work at risk.

As for being happy. That part is mainly up to you and what you make of the situation.

Ah ok . . . My bad.

Actually, there are two ways.

A foreigner may own up to 1 rai of land for residential purposes only if:

1) no less than 40 million is transferred into your bank account in Thailand, and that money is invested in a range of approved investments inlcuding Thai Govt bonds, SOE bonds etc etc (there is a list of approved investments, drawn up by the BOI)

2) the Minister of the Ministry of Interior grants permission

3) the property is not resold for five years

There are certain areas restricted as not being able to be owned by Thais.

If a foreigner who acquires land this way and doesnt comply with the regulations, he has a fixed period of time to get rid of hte land. If he can't do it in that time, the Director General has the power to dispose of that land as they he sees fit.

If the foreigner acquires the land but hasn't used it for residence within two years of the acquisiton, again the DG can dispose of it.

A foreigner can also acquire land by inheriting it as a staturory heir, subject to certain restrictive rules about how they then use it or dispose of it.

In other words you trust all your life savings to the Thai government officials, or you trust a much smaller portion to one Thai national. Nice choice. Are those the same Thai government officials that have managed the flooding in the past 10 years? Permanent residency - in itself quite hard to get - does not enable the holder to own land. There is only one way a foreigner may directly own land in Thailand, and it's extremely rare.
Ah ok . . . My bad. So what's this extremely rare way then?
Actually, there are two ways. A foreigner may own up to 1 rai of land for residential purposes only if: 1) no less than 40 million is transferred into your bank account in Thailand, and that money is invested in a range of approved investments inlcuding Thai Govt bonds, SOE bonds etc etc (there is a list of approved investments, drawn up by the BOI) 2) the Minister of the Ministry of Interior grants permission 3) the property is not resold for five years There are certain areas restricted as not being able to be owned by Thais. If a foreigner who acquires land this way and doesnt comply with the regulations, he has a fixed period of time to get rid of hte land. If he can't do it in that time, the Director General has the power to dispose of that land as they he sees fit. If the foreigner acquires the land but hasn't used it for residence within two years of the acquisiton, again the DG can dispose of it. A foreigner can also acquire land by inheriting it as a staturory heir, subject to certain restrictive rules about how they then use it or dispose of it.

In other words you trust all your life savings to the Thai government officials rather than a much smaller portion to one Thai national. Are those the same Thai government officials that have managed the flooding in Thailand for the past 10 years?

Edited by IanForbes
  • Like 1

Ah ok . . . My bad.

A foreigner may own up to 1 rai of land for residential purposes only if:

1) no less than 40 million is transferred into your bank account in Thailand, and that money is invested in a range of approved investments inlcuding Thai Govt bonds, SOE bonds etc etc (there is a list of approved investments, drawn up by the BOI)

2) the Minister of the Ministry of Interior grants permission

3) the property is not resold for five years

There are certain areas restricted as not being able to be owned by Thais.

If a foreigner who acquires land this way and doesnt comply with the regulations, he has a fixed period of time to get rid of hte land. If he can't do it in that time, the Director General has the power to dispose of that land as they he sees fit.

If the foreigner acquires the land but hasn't used it for residence within two years of the acquisiton, again the DG can dispose of it.

A foreigner can also acquire land by inheriting it as a staturory heir, subject to certain restrictive rules about how they then use it or dispose of it.

It may be considered an answer to the problem,but it is still control of your finances by Thailand,and IMO tying yourself up in legal knots, is not recommended!

You probably need to ask a specific question if you want someone to answer. Your original post doesn't make too much sense.

Agreed. It doesnt.

I am moaning about agreeing to everything my Wife wanted because I never really thought, we would ever move to Thailand. Now that we are, I am afraid regarding what lies ahead for me, will I fit in, will I be happy, what can I do to be Thai or even and Expat living there/here. ]

HAs anyone else gone through this ?

I am also about to move here (but from the US).

I really haven't had many sensible replies from members of this forum. I was looking for suggestions on where to live.

From over 140 replies the only two sensible suggestions were Chiang Mai and Hat Yai. Good luck with your move.

You asked a silly question and got a silly answer. "Where should I live?" How the hell is anybody supposed to know where you might like living?

Along with the responses AOA provided which only showed how naive he is regarding relocation to Thailand. OTOH, anyone with a net worth north of $15,000,000 USD shouldn't have to worry too much about day to day expenses. It's the new GF / wife I would be worried about.

Just one small thought I had, if you find yourself not wanting to live in the villages far from town, insist that the business, and thus the livelihood, needs a proper internet connection. This is something that is easier to find closer to town.

Do yo,u know what these conditions might be?

not 100% sure,so dont take as gospel,i think if spouse dies you are allowed to live in it till your demise and then,it must be sold in one year to a thai.?????? Edited by true blue

Ah ok . . . My bad.

3 - you can buy land if you become a Thai citizen.

Frankly, anybody who bases big decisions on advice from people who inhabit forums like this is probably doomed to failure.

Do some proper research, and do not burn any bridges until you have been in Thailand for long enough to have learned what you need to learn. We all learn best from our own experiences, not from the experiences of others.

• Like 1

First we have.....

Frankly, anybody who bases big decisions on advice from people who inhabit forums like this is probably doomed to failure.

Then he himself offers advice.

Do some proper research, and do not burn any bridges until you have been in Thailand for long enough to have learned what you need to learn. We all learn best from our own experiences, not from the experiences of others.

I think perhaps we need to add a Caveat ...... "Do as I say, not do as I do"

Hmmm I keep reading this post and all I see are two questions:

1)How to manage? my wife?

2)How do some of the old hands adapt to Thai life and culture?

my humble comments:

1) Well that would be a universal first if anyone has a definitive answer lol. ...one might say that, if you love her, you will probably do almost anything to ensure her happiness and security as the priority. ie she happy, you happy. If however you view her as a convenient accessory to your way of life then that's another story....

2) I guess we all adapt in different ways as all our circumstances are different...if you just want to recreate another Blighty in the east you will definitely have a problem.

It is a different world, becoming overly westernized in my humble opinion but still a great and pleasant adventure..

Keep your sense of humour expect the unexpected, accept the massive change to your life and you will be fine...

Think all the inherent family and financial issues have been addressed on many a thread........coffee1.gif

This is very un-PC, but true in Thailand nonetheless. Some sage advice I got from an old timer many years ago.

"If you don't control your woman, she will control you".

I like this post.

ME,seen it, the weak WILL suffer. Many posts the OP will not like, but those who have been here a while have seen the pitfalls. The blether-ing guys who do not take note of shit will suffer in the end, sadly. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

You probably need to ask a specific question if you want someone to answer. Your original post doesn't make too much sense.

Agreed. It doesnt.

I am moaning about agreeing to everything my Wife wanted because I never really thought, we would ever move to Thailand. Now that we are, I am afraid regarding what lies ahead for me, will I fit in, will I be happy, what can I do to be Thai or even and Expat living there/here. ]

HAs anyone else gone through this ?

I am also about to move here (but from the US).

I really haven't had many sensible replies from members of this forum. I was looking for suggestions on where to live.

From over 140 replies the only two sensible suggestions were Chiang Mai and Hat Yai. Good luck with your move.

and the hat yasi one was a pisstake making allusions to what is going on in the surrounding provinces. check out what hat yai's neighbors actually do have going on.

In other words you trust all your life savings to the Thai government officials rather than a much smaller portion to one Thai national. Are those the same Thai government officials that have managed the flooding in Thailand for the past 10 years?

Not sure what the management or mismanagement of a major natural catastrophe has to do with it; one could argue that Australia, for example, also 'manages' similar natural disasters badly on the basis they happen pretty much every year - both floods and fires.

Anyway, on your second point, Thai bonds have a much higher credit rating than most European bonds these days.

I can't comment on members' wives as they are not currently assessed by S&P, Moodys or Fitch.

Base yourself well away from her family, it will still be easy for her to visit them anyway from pretty much anywhere in Thailand. Maybe offer to build a small house near to them for when she visits. Make this an absolute condition of your move.Remember this is just as much about your future in Thailand as it is about hers.

Try a couple of other places for a year or so eg Hua Hin or even Bangkok. If you really must/want to live in Chaing Mai make sure its a fair distance away from her family eg in town if they live outside. From what i have seen here most guys who allow themselves to be lured back to the wifes village end up messed up, lost and a great deal poorer.

Just my three pence worth I have lived here for over 15 year's full time and have never regretted a minute. But there are thing's you must get strait before you leap. Never bring all your monies over ever. Open a bank account in YOUR name you will have to do this if only for your visa. Any monies that come's over do it via your account. One for your wife easy to buy land that way, and if you must a joint one, and always keep an eye out on what's happening to the cash. NEVER EVER let her have the your ATM card or details. For the first few year's ALWAYS rent. Never as someone mentioned before live near family they said 20 mile's I happen to think 300 mile's is more like it 500 if they have transport. Reason, for Thai's family is no: one and that mean's Thai family and I'm sorry to say your not Thai, and living local they will try to organise everything for you Trust me on that one. Learning the language is another must, other wise you will need to rely on your wife 100% you may think she's got her head screwed on right but believe me they will revert back to being a Thai within day's of being here, and anyone that live's here will tell you Thai's have NO logic, at first it might seem cute but after a few month's you will be pulling your hair out.

Never put all your egg's ect THINK THINK THINK then THINK again before you do anything and always leave yourself a get out so you can if need's be leave and go back home. Maybe a lot wiser.

All of the above is just a starter. You may think I'm a bit hard but after 15 year's I've seen it all, to many time's to mention.

With regard's to Chiang Mai it's a big town/city and you will not have a problem settling in, the only bug bare that I can see with the place is the traffic it's horrendous. It's also a bit like England every other peep's in a non local, home from home then.

Hope you have a good time with few problem's. Read all the other post's and take note.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

A couple of tips on this:

- You'll find yourself sitting in lots of government offices for hours on end - even if you've hired someone else to help you through the process. It is the same for everyone, including other Thai's. Wads of papers to be signed. Multiple copies of your passport and proof of address needed.

- Also remember as you are moving to Thailand, you'll probably be doing this all in 'one hit' so to speak, which means that your patience will be tested. Just remember for most Thai's, they do this at incremental stages in their lives. This isn't a process designed to piss off the foreigner, but no doubt it will.

I made the move from the UK 3 months ago and this hits the nail on the head. You can get so frustrated with paperwork and waiting, forgetting its because you are doing everything in a short time frame. When there is a problem or I need something done I'm still in the 'Its not done like this in England' phase, something which I need to get out of.

A couple of tips on this:

- You'll find yourself sitting in lots of government offices for hours on end - even if you've hired someone else to help you through the process. It is the same for everyone, including other Thai's. Wads of papers to be signed. Multiple copies of your passport and proof of address needed.

- Also remember as you are moving to Thailand, you'll probably be doing this all in 'one hit' so to speak, which means that your patience will be tested. Just remember for most Thai's, they do this at incremental stages in their lives. This isn't a process designed to piss off the foreigner, but no doubt it will.

I made the move from the UK 3 months ago and this hits the nail on the head. You can get so frustrated with paperwork and waiting, forgetting its because you are doing everything in a short time frame. When there is a problem or I need something done I'm still in the 'Its not done like this in England' phase, something which I need to get out of.

Recognising that fact will, I am sure, help you to get over it.

Not sure what the management or mismanagement of a major natural catastrophe has to do with it; one could argue that Australia, for example, also 'manages' similar natural disasters badly on the basis they happen pretty much every year - both floods and fires.

Anyway, on your second point, Thai bonds have a much higher credit rating than most European bonds these days.

I can't comment on members' wives as they are not currently assessed by S&P, Moodys or Fitch.

Major natural catastrophes are one thing. Poor planning when the same natural events occur on a regular basis is another thing entirely. Building on a flood plain means you MUST do some prior planning for when the inevitable occurs. A great portion of Holland would flood if they didn't have plans in place to prevent it happening. A simple solution for Thailand's flooding is to build low dikes around all the northern rice paddy farms and pay the farmers NOT to grow anything during flood season. Then, the rice paddies could be used as low storage reservoirs during the flood periods. But, that would take a bit of long range thinking of which Thailand seems to be lacking. I see that right down to the education system and personal planning by Thais.

Major natural catastrophes are one thing. Poor planning when the same natural events occur on a regular basis is another thing entirely. Building on a flood plain means you MUST do some prior planning for when the inevitable occurs. A great portion of Holland would flood if they didn't have plans in place to prevent it happening. A simple solution for Thailand's flooding is to build low dikes around all the northern rice paddy farms and pay the farmers NOT to grow anything during flood season. Then, the rice paddies could be used as low storage reservoirs during the flood periods. But, that would take a bit of long range thinking of which Thailand seems to be lacking. I see that right down to the education system and personal planning by Thais.

But my point is why focus on the Thais. What preventative infrastructure steps have the Aussies taken to mitigate the effects of annual bush fires? Why aren't you similarly criticising the Aussies for not building firewalls right across NSW and Victoria?

Some people just can't resist the urge to think everything in Thailand is crap because the Thais are stupid, yet look askance when you ask the same question about their own countries.

Just this morning people leaped on to the fact that a fire broke out in a hotel in Sukhumvit as if it's something intrinsically 'Thai'. Fires happen in hotels all around the world, including the US, UK and Europe.

• Like 2