New Router

johna

Are you asking about a router (using more than one computer) or a modem/router (for more than one computer) and you want connection to the ADSL system? Or a model with Wi-FI?

If want all I changed to TP-Link and highly recommend. My model isTD-W8960N but that may be an older model now. For good Wi-Fi should not get less than the "N" models of any system now; in my opinion.

It might help if you told us what type of device you are looking for? And what your budget is?

We probably assume you are looking for a integrated ADSL Modem, 4-Port Ethernet router and WiFi AP? These range in price from ~ 1,200 to 4,000 baht. I'd suggest narrowing your search to a few models, then looking at the associated user's guides (PDFs easily found) to see if you like the UI/management features. Just about all these devices come with pre-configured settings for most of the DSL providers, or a set-up wizard. You can of course manually set-up the device. You should also Google the model to get a feel for customer satisfaction, although you may find that the feedback, positive or negative is sometimes not that reliable.

TP-Link, D-Link, Belkin, Linksys, Zyxel, SMC, 3COM, Asus, Buffalo are some of the brands I've seen here. D-Link has one f the better management interfaces offering a lot more visibility into the status of the device, allowing you to trouble-shoot problems. TP-Link offers good price/performance but the management UI is really deficient. We've had some 3COM and Linksys devices (ADSL Modem/4-port router/WiFi AP) in places for ~ 5 years, in extreme environments (outside), that are still cranking. But we've also had more than a fair share of Linksys's fail, primarily on the WiFi side.

I lean towards the cheapest models from D-Link, TP-Link and Zyxel, rarely spending more than 1,500, but I support quite a few installations so have to keep a few units on hand.

Now the D-Link DSL2730 is widely available for ~ 1,200 baht: http://www.dlink.co.th/info/?extra=105

The TP-Link TD 8901G is in the same price range: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-W8901G I've been running this model on my personal True line for ~ 9 months or so.

Thanks every body for the info.I'm using ZyXEL now with 4 ethernet ports, using 2 for high top PC, and WiFi for one laptop.

My internet connection is breaking down several times a day, and True can only suggest I get a new router,

The reason I did not give a lot of info on my needs is that these things are all a little over my head!!

My internet connection is breaking down several times a day, and True can only suggest I get a new router,

Do you own your current Zyxel router? What is the model number?

I'd submit that a new router may not address your, "...internet connection is breaking down several times a day" issue. You may have other issues?

Do you own your current Zyxel router? What is the model number?

I'd submit that a new router may not address your, "...internet connection is breaking down several times a day" issue. You may have other issues?

The model # is P-660HW-T1 v2

True say they will send a service guy out to my home this afternoon, but they have been here several times over the last 2 years and have never found a solution, and this problem is getting worse.

IMHO if True is suggesting to you that the current modem is at fault then ask them to install one of their units(At no cost to you) as a test for a week or two and validate the problem goes away with their unit and then returns again with you're old one re-installed. I bet you a beer the new modem does not fix the issues.

Edited by longball53098

^ excellent advice from longball53098.

It sounds like you have had issues with your True DSL service for two years? Did it work satisfactorily prior to that time?

What problem(s) do you have? Can you describe how they might be getting worse?

Do you own the router?

Are you able to access the management system and look at the line stats?

http://support.loxinfo.co.th/adsl/pdf/zyxel660v2.pdf

See page 252.

Edited by lomatopo

^ excellent advice from longball53098.

It sounds like you have had issues with your True DSL service for two years? Did it work satisfactorily prior to that time?

What problem(s) do you have? Can you describe how they might be getting worse?

Do you own the router?

Are you able to access the management system and look at the line stats?

It has never worked 100%, I was loosing my internet connection a few times a day for a couple of minutes, now I am losing the connection 10 or more times each day, and last Saturday I lost the connection for several hours, the download speeds are also very slow.

The router was free when I signed up with True

longball53098, yes that’s good advice I don’t have much hope that the True service man will be able to diagnose the problem.

Edited by johna

True service typically have pretty decent test equipment and should be able to diagnose the problem, IME.

It would be good to see any logs or line stats you are able to gather and post.

How long have you had this line and router? Did True ever try another device or offer any explanations? Do any neighbors have True DSL? Does their service work OK for them? What types of routers do they use?

True DSL did seem to have a pretty big service outage in Khlong Toei (I wasn't affected), Phra Kanong, based on a recent thread here so maybe that was why you lost your connection?

Does your telephone wok OK? You have dial tone? Is there any strange noise on the line?

I guess the router could be an issue but I suspect the line has problems, somewhere between your router and the True DSL port.

True service typically have pretty decent test equipment and should be able to diagnose the problem, IME.

It would be good to see any logs or line stats you are able to gather and post.

How long have you had this line and router? Did True ever try another device or offer any explanations? Do any neighbors have True DSL? Does their service work OK for them? What types of routers do they use?

True DSL did seem to have a pretty big service outage in Khlong Toei (I wasn't affected), Phra Kanong, based on a recent thread here so maybe that was why you lost your connection?

Does your telephone wok OK? You have dial tone? Is there any strange noise on the line?

I guess the router could be an issue but I suspect the line has problems, somewhere between your router and the True DSL port.

I lost the connection yesterday for 2 hours, the light showing my internet connection on the router goes out and a message appears on my monitor saying “your connection to the internet is broken”

The phone line is still working, but there is some static on the line, I will talk to the service man about this next week.

I have had the phone line for 6 years and the router for 2.

None of my neighbors have internet, all of them have problems with the phone service which was down for 10 days in January.

The internet connection was still broken when the service man arrived.

He did a diagnostic test and installed a temporary router, next Wednesday he will return with a new router.

I lost the connection twice last night for a couple of minutes, but this morning its working great.

I appreciate all the assistance and will update this post next Wednesday.