Deputy PM Chalerm Vows To Bring Thaksin Back Home This Year

webfact

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What everyone seems to ignore is that the electorate must rule in such discussions. I am neither pro nor anti-Thaksin. Yes, I read the charges against him and the opposing arguments, but T.I.T. That is the lynch pin in my non-argument, and not to be dismissed as a mere notion. I am simply saying our opinions as ex-pats are not only wildly speculative, but also demeaning to Thais.

If the majority of Thais hate him, let him stay away. If the majority loves him, then bring him back. Whatever they decide we should wave their flags--it's their country, after all.Root for the home team, because they pay your wages and secure your well-being and that's the way it goes EVERYWHERE. Enough with the egregious finger-pointing. What the majority of Thais want to happen in Thailand, no matter how much we disagree with it, is what is going to happen. Live with it, wanke_rs.

How can a thinking person, in one breath, say that no one here gets jailed or elected without influences, and then also say that they know what is going on and who is the bad guy? That is vapid in the extreme. It does not equate, at all. Either we are in the dark or not, and the evidence is that we are totally in the dark. I can say I like this guy and hate that guy, but with such restrictions on freedom of the press it is quite likely we are basing assumptions on red herrings, cooked slowly over burnt rubber and served up as caviar. And some idiots call that gourmet.

But we don't like that, we don't like not knowing. And we never will. Almost like being in America again, for me.

I really don't care if he comes back. So many people here are just bickering, like old hens over an egg that already spoiled and belongs to someone else.

Worse, we came here because our own countries let us down, disenfranchised us, or screwed us in one way or another, and too many suggest the Thais should have the same model. If at first you don't succeed, make other messes ad infinitum.

Really, there must be a lot of bored arm-chair political experts teaching first grade floating around here.

FF

In which country is guilt decided by a popularity contest?

When the business dealings and unusual wealth of everybody in high office (including the military) are investigated and pursued properly, Thaksin's conviction and pending charges will stop being viewed by the international community as being politically motivated. Until then, the international community will continue to view Thaksin as a robber baron being victimised by fellow robber barons from his society. It's all very well starting somewhere with the rooting out of corruption in a society utterly riddled with said corruption, but when the rooting out starts and ends with only one exponent, the international community rightly smells bs.

When the business dealings and unusual wealth of everybody in high office (including the military) are investigated and pursued properly, Thaksin's conviction and pending charges will stop being viewed by the international community as being politically motivated. Until then, the international community will continue to view Thaksin as a robber baron being victimised by fellow robber barons from his society. It's all very well starting somewhere with the rooting out of corruption in a society utterly riddled with said corruption, but when the rooting out starts and ends with only one exponent, the international community rightly smells bs.

And the reason PTP/UDD/Thaksin are not digging out all those corruption cases in the Democrat camp is what?

TRT & PPP & now PTP have been in-power, for much of the past decade, wonder when they're going to get round to investigating the unduly-rich and pursuing them, as you suggest ?

Former-PM Sorayud demolished his house and gave up the land, when it was ruled to be inside the national-park, didn't he ?

When will the other former-PM stop squealing about how he's being victimised, and start making restitution or paying tax, or are the "fellow robber barons" still in-power, even under the new anti-Amart pro-poor-people government ?

Perhaps it would be unwise of me, to hold my breath. waiting. cool.png

And the reason PTP/UDD/Thaksin are not digging out all those corruption cases in the Democrat camp is what?

Uh.....did you just get of the airplane?

I suppose you don't want to answer the question.

What everyone seems to ignore is that the electorate must rule in such discussions. I am neither pro nor anti-Thaksin. Yes, I read the charges against him and the opposing arguments, but T.I.T. That is the lynch pin in my non-argument, and not to be dismissed as a mere notion. I am simply saying our opinions as ex-pats are not only wildly speculative, but also demeaning to Thais.

If the majority of Thais hate him, let him stay away. If the majority loves him, then bring him back. Whatever they decide we should wave their flags--it's their country, after all.Root for the home team, because they pay your wages and secure your well-being and that's the way it goes EVERYWHERE. Enough with the egregious finger-pointing. What the majority of Thais want to happen in Thailand, no matter how much we disagree with it, is what is going to happen. Live with it, wanke_rs.

How can a thinking person, in one breath, say that no one here gets jailed or elected without influences, and then also say that they know what is going on and who is the bad guy? That is vapid in the extreme. It does not equate, at all. Either we are in the dark or not, and the evidence is that we are totally in the dark. I can say I like this guy and hate that guy, but with such restrictions on freedom of the press it is quite likely we are basing assumptions on red herrings, cooked slowly over burnt rubber and served up as caviar. And some idiots call that gourmet.

But we don't like that, we don't like not knowing. And we never will. Almost like being in America again, for me.

I really don't care if he comes back. So many people here are just bickering, like old hens over an egg that already spoiled and belongs to someone else.

Worse, we came here because our own countries let us down, disenfranchised us, or screwed us in one way or another, and too many suggest the Thais should have the same model. If at first you don't succeed, make other messes ad infinitum.

Really, there must be a lot of bored arm-chair political experts teaching first grade floating around here.

FF

In which country is guilt decided by a popularity contest?

So Robert Amsterdam, is not only Thaksin's shill, but also the international community? clap2.gif

I suppose you don't want to answer the question.

I suppose you don't realise how rampant corruption is in Thailand.

Of course I know that, but I'm confused by your stance. Seems that you say that it was wrong for the Democrats to go after Thaksin's corruption, because everyone else is corrupt anyway. If I get the gist of it you are saying that since there's alleged corruption in the Democrat camp they have no business going about shinning light into Thaksin and Co. graft.

So WHO should be going about Thaksin's corruption then? He can't be touched until all other graft has been dealt with first? You have to start somewhere to get the country rid of corruption, the very top of the political pyramid and the most egregious graft cases are a very good place to begin, IMHO.

If you think the Democrats are every bit as corrupt as TRT/PPP/PTP I would expect a moral person to demand all corruption to be unveiled and prosecuted, saying they are all corrupt so let's not point out any individual for examination is a guarantee to perpetuate a corrupt system.

If the Democrats are not willing or able to move against corruption within their ranks then its the job of their political opponents to press the matter, if not for altruistic reasons at least as a method to gain political traction.

Of course, IMHO, I think Thaksin Co. are a pro-corruption party, they have no interest in rocking the boat so I don't expect any progress in that aspect any time soon.

• Like 2

Of course I know that, but I'm confused by your stance. Seems that you say that it was wrong for the Democrats to go after Thaksin's corruption, because everyone else is corrupt anyway. If I get the gist of it you are saying that since there's alleged corruption in the Democrat camp they have no business going about shinning light into Thaksin and Co. graft.

So WHO should be going about Thaksin's corruption then? He can't be touched until all other graft has been dealt with first? You have to start somewhere to get the country rid of corruption, the very top of the political pyramid and the most egregious graft cases are a very good place to begin, IMHO.

If you think the Democrats are every bit as corrupt as TRT/PPP/PTP I would expect a moral person to demand all corruption to be unveiled and prosecuted, saying they are all corrupt so let's not point out any individual for examination is a guarantee to perpetuate a corrupt system.

If the Democrats are not willing or able to move against corruption within their ranks then its the job of their political opponents to press the matter, if not for altruistic reasons at least as a method to gain political traction.

Of course, IMHO, I think Thaksin Co. are a pro-corruption party, they have no interest in rocking the boat so I don't expect any progress in that aspect any time soon.

I don't expect the Dems to rid themselves of corruption voluntarily, and relatively honest and forward-thinking Dems such as Abhisit and Korn can't do bog-all about it either. Obviously, PT aren't going to un-corrupt themselves voluntarily either. And the corruption runs up from these politicians/ comes down from above. Somewhere along the line, the only way forward is for someone to make a stand. It's not going to come from anybody anchored to the current system, so it will need a new system. Hello real democracy, bye bye patronage.

Thailand Live Monday 12th of March, 2012 #31:

"Posted Today, 11:39

PM states her brother Thaksin won't be returning to Thailand this year; she adds she's worried about high goods' prices /TANN"

Dept PM Pol Captain Chalerm will be mightily disappointed by the lack of support he gets from his PM.

BTW I'm also worried, about rising prices that is dry.png

I don't expect the Dems to rid themselves of corruption voluntarily, and relatively honest and forward-thinking Dems such as Abhisit and Korn can't do bog-all about it either. Obviously, PT aren't going to un-corrupt themselves voluntarily either. And the corruption runs up from these politicians/ comes down from above. Somewhere along the line, the only way forward is for someone to make a stand. It's not going to come from anybody anchored to the current system, so it will need a new system. Hello real democracy, bye bye patronage.

In the immediate term that equals a whitewash and a free pass for Thaksin. Some of the Thaksin apologists take great care to dress themselves up in an ethical toga, but the end result is a smelly garb anyway. They are washing their hands with dirty soap. That doesn't wash.

Edited by yoshiwara
  • Like 1

I agree, change is inevitable but there needs to be change for the good of all Thais. However, I dont agree that Thaksin and co are the answer, just an even worse version of the same. At the moment we have factions positioning themselves for the kickoff whistle then the battle of the warlords will begin.

When the business dealings and unusual wealth of everybody in high office (including the military) are investigated and pursued properly, Thaksin's conviction and pending charges will stop being viewed by the international community as being politically motivated.

When? Will never happen - never.

Until then, the international community will continue to view Thaksin as a robber baron being victimised by fellow robber barons from his society. It's all very well starting somewhere with the rooting out of corruption in a society utterly riddled with said corruption, but when the rooting out starts and ends with only one exponent, the international community rightly smells bs.

None of these robber barons give a fig for the welfare of the country, not even from a business POV, improving the capacity and international competitiveness of Thailand's overall economy.

They just want to make sure they, their families and their network control as much as possible of the pie.

I don't think it's even wealth, it's the power of being in control, pulling the strings behind the scenes that's the endgame for these guys - they already have all the wealth anyone could actually benefit from.

Of course ensuring the security of their families' descendants no matter how incompetent they turn out to be is also a strong motivator.

Well at least the buffoon is being honest. He and Yingluck and all the other jokers have had it as their #1 priority to bring Thaksin back (while having him avoid his conviction) - all along. Prior, they skirted around admitting it. Now, at least they're telling the truth.

If he was a man and not a cockroach, he would say how he plans to do it. Yet, he only knows deviousness (similarly, when he says he knows of criminals - he won't say their names in public).

It would be like Elliot Ness saying, "I'm going to clean up Chicago, and bust the mafia dons, particularly one with a name starting with C." Of course, Chalerm couldn't hold a candle to Ness, and Ness would never have proclaimed anything so infantile.

When the business dealings and unusual wealth of everybody in high office (including the military) are investigated and pursued properly, Thaksin's conviction and pending charges will stop being viewed by the international community as being politically motivated.

When? Will never happen - never.

Until then, the international community will continue to view Thaksin as a robber baron being victimised by fellow robber barons from his society. It's all very well starting somewhere with the rooting out of corruption in a society utterly riddled with said corruption, but when the rooting out starts and ends with only one exponent, the international community rightly smells bs.

None of these robber barons give a fig for the welfare of the country, not even from a business POV, improving the capacity and international competitiveness of Thailand's overall economy.

They just want to make sure they, their families and their network control as much as possible of the pie.

I don't think it's even wealth, it's the power of being in control, pulling the strings behind the scenes that's the endgame for these guys - they already have all the wealth anyone could actually benefit from.

Of course ensuring the security of their families' descendants no matter how incompetent they turn out to be is also a strong motivator.

Spot on and Thai culture in a nutshell.

Spot on and Thai culture in a nutshell.

Why thank you, rare indeed!

Which is why I have viewed with extreme suspicion those farang posting so strongly for one side or the other, as if one mafia network is actually any better than the other as far as the welfare of the country as a whole is concerned.

Thaksin's brilliant populist strategy has resulted in his side cornering the market in perception among the Thai disenfranchised underclass - IMO the numeric majority - that he's the only one who ever actually did anything directly of benefit for them, as opposed to the pure lip service offered before.

I'm not saying what he did was effective in reality, but the one think I'm positive about Thai culture and that is that perception and appearances count far more than reality.

The opposition has to realize and **be willing to admit** that they need to pander to the common people in order to win elections, and I'm afraid their arrogance won't let them do that, they'd rather adjust the definition of democracy, put education requirements on voting, have representation by industry or profession, other idiotic ideas like that were actually floated around the time of the last coup.