Furnishing A House In Thailand

I just placed a down-payment of 5,000 baht on a two story shop-house style house here in downtown Maha Sarakham a couple of months ago. The rent is 4,000 a month, which seemed pretty reasonable compared to my 2,800 baht single-room furnished apt. So I'm into the place for a couple months rent so far, but alas have not moved in as I've been shocked to discover there is no cheap second-hand furniture available in Thailand, or at least not in my area of Isaan (previously lived only in furnished apartments in Thailand).

The place contains one big living room, semi-outside kitchen, two baths and two large bedrooms, and I'm afraid to furnish it would cost something in the range of 30,000-50,000 baht for new furniture + curtains/hangers + installing hot water heater (there is already an air-conditioner). If I can't find a cheaper option I'm planning to let the place go and stay with the furnished apartment option.

Does anyone have any advice or anecdotes of their experiences in furnishing a house in Thailand? Particularly anyone on a tight budget such as a teacher?

yeah, the shop house has got cheap rent but ye always have to think about furnishings and second hand is a problem...most thais when they buy something hold onto it until it falls apart...

if you have a thai friend drive around and you'll find folks selling furniture in cheap 'side-of-the-road' places and you may be able to ask there if they got a line on some cheap second hand stuff...just keep yer head down and don't let the vendors see yer white face...

I bought a splendid new rattan living room suite from a side-of-the-road place but I showed my white face and got ripped off...no matter as the furniture was just what I wanted and I've had it for 10 years now and as good as new with little kids bouncing and making 'castles'...the cushions are a bit worn but they can be replaced easily...rattan is cheaper an beats the pants offa the plastic stuffed junk that ye find, good for the hot weather...