Thai Traffic Kills Another Swede

webfact

Thai Traffic Kills another Swede

KANTHARALAK: -- It has been a terrible 2012 when it comes to tragic road accidents claiming the lives of Swedish citizens. But it does not seem to stop as Wednesday saw another Swede losing his life on the Thai roads, this time in Kantharalak in the East of Thailand.

According to the Swedish paper, Aftonbladet, the Swede was a 60 year old man who was driving a big motorbike as he was hit from behind by a pickup truck.

“I know that there has been a traffic accident,” is the only information Camilla Åkesson Lindblom from the Swedish Foreign Ministry has to give.

According to Aftonbladet the driver of the pickup truck fled the scene of the accident and is now being chased by the police.

The relatives of the dead Swedish man have been informed about the tragic death.

Source: http://www.scandasia...83&coun_code=se

-- scandasia.com 2012-03-09

footer_n.gif

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The usual condolences to the family and friends of yet another victim on Thai roads. I won't speculate on what happened, no mention. I hope the police do catch the fleeing driver and charge him accordingly,.

That area of thailand isn't as busy with traffic as the larger cities.

R.I.P.

ignorance of international traffic regulation

There are international traffic regulations ?....I would imagine these would make interesting reading, please give a link....how is driving of different side of the road addressed ?

• Like 1

and another time a coward driver flee the scene ..... is it local practice to refuse to face your responsibilities?

You have been here 20 years and you need to ask that? Ive been here only a few years and knew the answer long ago.

A few months ago my gf's cousin and two children were killed by a drunk driver who wrecked his car so badly that his friends picked him in their own car to flee the scene as he left at least two of the victims to die in the road who probably wouldve survived if they had received any medical treatment. My gf was devasted by the loss and furious at the guy for being so irresponsible.

A few days ago we are driving through the countryside and we come upon what looks like the result of a hit and run so I slow down to investigiate and help if needed. Straight away I was yelled at not to stop and help as if it was an accident I would be the one to blame for everything.

Fortunately when we drove past turns out it was just some rubbish that had been scattered across the road next to skid marks from a past accident.

So there is your answer.

Hmmmm... the only difference between here and home is the fact that the drivers usually flee the scene here. Considering the number of motorcycles on the roads here, I would bet the average number of motorcycle fatalities by percentage is quite a bit lower than it is at home. Not to mention bikes are generally traveling at higher speeds at home than they are here. Then again, helmet laws are stricter at home so.......

Still sad though...especially because he was just cruising along....could happen to any one of us...anywhere.

RIP

and another time a coward driver flee the scene ..... is it local practice to refuse to face your responsibilities ? Thai drivers think they are the best in the world , in a country where no one go to school for that purpose these daily accidents don't surprise me . Thai road are deadly , just be aware of this reality. I have been driving 20 years here and have seen so many mistakes , over speeding , racing between buses , ignorance of international traffic regulation etc ...etc .. the list is too long .

I rear ended a car with my motorbike recently; and of course stayed to deal with the situation even though I could have escaped unseen quite easily. When dealing with the incident the Thais were all remarking that if it had been a Thai driving the motorbike they would have fled for sure.

Not sure if they saw me as stupid for sticking around or honorablelaugh.png

Thai Rak Thai is a joke. I've seen families tear themselves apart over stealing land and money from each other. Thailand isn't a failed state, but it is a failed society.

You do know who formed that party so dont have to look far for an answer LOL

and another time a coward driver flee the scene ..... is it local practice to refuse to face your responsibilities?

You have been here 20 years and you need to ask that? Ive been here only a few years and knew the answer long ago.

A few months ago my gf's cousin and two children were killed by a drunk driver who wrecked his car so badly that his friends picked him in their own car to flee the scene as he left at least two of the victims to die in the road who probably wouldve survived if they had received any medical treatment. My gf was devasted by the loss and furious at the guy for being so irresponsible.

A few days ago we are driving through the countryside and we come upon what looks like the result of a hit and run so I slow down to investigiate and help if needed. Straight away I was yelled at not to stop and help as if it was an accident I would be the one to blame for everything.

Fortunately when we drove past turns out it was just some rubbish that had been scattered across the road next to skid marks from a past accident.

So there is your answer.

if your partner told you to drive on, then that should be your cue to move on. this heartless person will walk away from you some day when you are hurt or injured. probably from their hand. angry.png

• Like 1

So there is your answer.

Friend of mine stopped to help someone who was knocked off their moterbike and got accused of causing it.

Thai drivers seem to have no respect at all for riders of motorbikes.

To me it's not about the kind of vehicles they are driving, the problem is whom are driving them, and thinking again, even without a machine, they will still be a danger for theirself and the others...biggrin.png

and another time a coward driver flee the scene ..... is it local practice to refuse to face your responsibilities ? Thai drivers think they are the best in the world , in a country where no one go to school for that purpose these daily accidents don't surprise me . Thai road are deadly , just be aware of this reality. I have been driving 20 years here and have seen so many mistakes , over speeding , racing between buses , ignorance of international traffic regulation etc ...etc .. the list is too long .

I was going to say are you new here.

Friend of mine stopped to help someone who was knocked off their moterbike and got accused of causing it.

That's great eh? It's not surprising anyway, being aware of how the locals behave, this just show coherence.

I will still stop if i see anyone in need, perfectly aware that very likely not even a simple "thank you" would be said, having done something good and the feeling that comes from it already is a reward.

If however somebody it's so dishonest and evil to do something like that, then an even greater effort should be made to make them feel on their skin that those act of cowardice can be even worse of whatever accident might have already happened to them.

There are already many mini-cameras on sale for car and motocy, they can act as a sort of "black box", unfortunately they are overpriced for what they do, but if you are good at diy, making something better and cheaper shouldn't be that hard, i am thinking about it from a while now...cool.png

• Like 2

Lots of Thai bashing, not seen anything to suggest it was a Thai driver. I drive a pick-up, could just as easily been a non-Thai....

Fair point but....in terms of statisical probability.....in all likelyhood the driver would be ???

So there is your answer.

Wifey and I stopped to help someone who was knocked off their bike by a car that didn't stop and were thanked profusely for it. Good and bad everywhere.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Lots of Thai bashing, not seen anything to suggest it was a Thai driver.

Yes i agree, i am sure it must have been a falang, but even if it was a thai, then it's because he was badly influenced by a falang otherways it wouldn't have happened ! laugh.png

• Like 1

is it local practice to refuse to face your responsibilities

No, it's the national pastime!

No! it can't simply be that, they also do it when they "work", so it must to be something bigger...partytime2.gif

Thai drivers seem to have no respect at all for riders of motorbikes. Why? Because if there's an accident, they can always carry on driving. Too many people here have no consideration for the well-being of others. Thai Rak Thai is a joke. I've seen families tear themselves apart over stealing land and money from each other. Thailand isn't a failed state, but it is a failed society.

The problem is the chang , whiskey and no insurance for most.

I've been told many times (I assume it's true) that the smaller vehicle is always right no matter what actually happened so the car pays. So people do avoid them even when they are riding like idiots, so thats most motorbikes.

The car/pick up drivers pissed up and with no insurance are likely to run instead of paying. People with newer cars who have insured them are careful to avoid the motorbikes knowing most while riding them are stupid and it will just cost them money if they crash.

Until people in this country take responsibility for their actions or are made to nothing will change, but with laws like the above(if true) why would it ? Do what you like and someone else will pay for you even though it's caused by your own stupidity and usually drunkness.

Within 5 minutes of each other at the petrol station early this week one coach comes in driving like Lewis Hamilton, pulls up for petrol and gets out barely able to stand up with can of chang in hand shortly followed by a pick up driver who gets out and starts going round his pick up inspecting the suspension. Once he got back up it was easy to work out what he was doing. He thought the pick up was swaying. It wasn't the pick up that was swaying from side to side, it was him.

RIP>

Edited by arthurwait

Hmmmm... the only difference between here and home is the fact that the drivers usually flee the scene here. Considering the number of motorcycles on the roads here, I would bet the average number of motorcycle fatalities by percentage is quite a bit lower than it is at home. Not to mention bikes are generally traveling at higher speeds at home than they are here. Then again, helmet laws are stricter at home so.......

Still sad though...especially because he was just cruising along....could happen to any one of us...anywhere.

RIP

Hate to bust your bubble, but most statistics here mention anywhere from 75% to 84% of traffic death are motosai riders.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

I've been told many times (I assume it's true) that the smaller vehicle is always right no matter what actually happened so the car pays. So people do avoid them even when they are riding like idiots, so thats most motorbikes.

your assumption is wrong...I clattered a motorbike taxi some years ago near Ekamai in BKK and the bike was completely in the wrong, trying to cut in front of me.... PC plod was standing right there and seen it happen... Mr motorbike taxi tried it on as regards me paying and the Plod sent him on his way stating he would charge him with dangerous driving...so in this instance the smaller vehicle wasnt right

• Like 1

Flee an accident scene is a standard practice in Thailand.

It got nothing to do with responsibility.

It is a unique culture for Thai.

I don't know if it is in the Thai DNA, or was it written in the Thai highway code, or taught in school.

Every single Thai know this. If in a serious accident, flee the scene. Then show yourself up at the nearest police station to report the accident after 2 days.

Just show me one case that driver did not flee the scene. I will prove to you that he/she is Farang.

Edited by sparebox2

Thai drivers seem to have no respect at all for riders of motorbikes. Why? Because if there's an accident, they can always carry on driving. Too many people here have no consideration for the well-being of others. Thai Rak Thai is a joke. I've seen families tear themselves apart over stealing land and money from each other. Thailand isn't a failed state, but it is a failed society.

The problem is the chang , whiskey and no insurance for most.

RIP>

I thought so too, but not actually, I was hit by a motorbike while stopped at traffic lights, not much damage to the M/C but a fairly hefty dent in the side of my vehicle. Police arrived took statements and then told the Motorbike rider to pay for my damage, they objected and we went to the station. Once again, I was exonerated and the Motorcyclist told to pay up, which they eventually did.

• Like 1