Canine Gene Testing Prior To Breeding.

I know there is an active pedigree dog breeding 'hobby' within Thailand with a few magazines and The TKC etc, but the only proper breeder I know personally is unaware of the more European movement towards gene testing Sire and Dam prior to a mating. He is aware of CHD and ED points scoring of prospective parents but that is all.

In my opinion he is a step above the back yard breeders that churn out litters quickly, and his pups are TKC registered with pedigree certificates. A know another yard breeder who just carries our random matings of pugs with zero testing or TKC contact of any sort.

I am thinking about a future mating of two particular dogs, they are from completely different lines and I wish to avoid any genetic mistakes in the potential progeny. Some of the dog's in question parents bloodline is known and well documented, but both side have "mixed" in their ancestry.

I seek experiences within Thailand of getting canine gene testing carried out, and what are they able to reliably test for ? I know there are various well defined gene tests for specific-pedigree-breeds that are affected by particular inherited diseases caused by in-breeding resulting in breed-specific illnesses, but there is little point in having two dogs tested for some 30 of 40 different genetic affected/carrier markers when they are not in any way cousins. List of tests1, List of tests 2 and List of tests 3 for example.

Is there any more generic profile testing that offer a potential health result?

I don't need the "What breed in my dog?" tests that many on-line gene testers seem to promote - I know that already.

Having already read up on some mail-order canine DNA tests (cheek swab) that only seem able to conclusively prove that the sample might have come from a dog, of some type, I know that the value of the test results are only as good as the data-base that the laboratory have access to for comparison and the skill of the person carrying out the test. I understand the most complete database in in the USA.

I have zero interest in those readers that are about to suggest I adopt someone else's stray or the dog of a departing expat, etc etc.

This thread is about gene testing not re-homing or canine population control, go start your own thread.

Hi,

Genetic testing is one aspect of screening before breeding but there are a lot of other factors that are of the same importance. Such as temperament and breed standard adherence. There will always be an element of chance in any breeding program. I looked into the lists provided and it would end up very expensive to do all these tests. Would make purebred dogs cost so much that it probably promote "mutt" breeding instead. Good luck. I just face a limited number of studs available for my bitch. May have to import soem frozen semen at the moment of plan a trip abroad when time comes for her.

Exactly the point. Pedigree breeders talk in general terms of "testing" but I think the reality is that they only test for specific existing inherited genetic disorders that they know their bloodlines are probably already carrying.

You want to do a breeding between two totally different lines,the outcome is very onpredictable.What is it you want? Are you breeding for show or working ability?To know where you are going you would almost have to keep all of the offspring and mate them again to see what traites

you are loosing or getting.

The best way to be able to predict what you are getting is to linebreed and not do a cross like you are suggesting.

Many different opinions on this but there are better places to ask a question like this,but with breeding you never know for sure unless you try it.

A link to Pedigree Dogs Exposed: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/pedigree-dogs-exposed/ Watch the 6 youtube clips. Plain horrible.

And a list of many breeds with their hereditary diseases: http://www.rashondenwijzer.nl/overzicht-hondenrassen-en-aandoeningen It's in Dutch, but I bet most you can understand, or use google translate.