Female Thai Student Claims Lecturer Gives Attractive Students Better Grades

webfact

Student Claims Lecturer Gives Attractive Students Better Grades

students.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Sunandha Rajabhat University says it will only launch a sexual harassment probe against a Faculty of Education lecturer only when an official complaint has been submitted to the university. The dean says he'll do whatever it takes to protect the students.

A female student at the Sunundha Rajabhat University has submitted a complaint with the dean against an Education Faculty lecturer who she claimed based his grades on the attractiveness of the students. She alleged the lecturer will only help attractive female students with questions, while turning away students who are less appealing. She also claimed her fellow students have been sexually harassed by the lecturer. The student claimed the professor has touched the students who wear short skirts and tight fitting uniform inappropriately.

However, she claimed fellow students who were subjected to the lecturer's inappropriate conduct have refused to come forward, fearing repercussions on their grades.

The dean of Sunandha Rajabhat University revealed the female student has submitted a formal complaint against the lecturer for allegedly giving unfair grades. Sunandha Rajabhat dean, Chuangchote Pantuwej, said a committee will be set up to investigate her claim and, if necessary, revise her grades accordingly. He also said he's met with the chief of the Education Faculty to ask if he was aware of the claim of sexual harassment against the faculty lecturer. The faculty chief denied any knowledge into the claim and has been ordered to investigate the allegation and report back to Chuangchote.

Chuangchote is hesitate to launch an official investigation into the sexual harassment allegation fearing it could hurt the university's image if it was proven to be groundless. He's calling on the students who've been victims in the sexual harassment claims to come forward and form a final complaint against the lecturer. He assured their complete anonymity if they decided to come forward.

A representative of the Office of the Higher Education Commission said the female student has not submitted a complaint with the commission. The commission is encouraging students who have been treated unfairly to know and protect their rights. Sexual harassment is a serious offence that is punishable by an immediate dismissal of the lecturer.

Suchat Thadadamrongvej, education minister, said he is not aware of the allegation. He's urged the university to launch an investigation to get to the truth of the allegation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-09

footer_n.gif

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No place for this in any university anywhere in the world. Sadly, all too common.

Not always true. Have you heard of women education institution, often also know as convent? They may give mancho man better grades.

• Like 1

No place for this in any university anywhere in the world. Sadly, all too common.

Not always true. Have you heard of women education institution, often also know as convent? They may give mancho man better grades.

Convent schools will also have some lesbian teachers,

and they 'may' go after the novices, just as inappropriately.

The point is ANY teacher doing it is bad,

but sadly not as unusually as it might seem.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

"The student claimed the professor has touched the students who wear short skirts and tight fitting uniform inappropriately."

Not possible. The rules say "short skirts and tight fitting uniform allowed".

Jeeze Louis dude,

the TOUCHING was inappropriate...

the uniforms were correct.

Be patient with one who pretend to read, speak and write english......jap.gif

• Like 2

I would suggest people don't get on the "Hang em High" bandwagon just yet, if true the guy deserves to be fired at the least.

The students complaint is that he gave higher grades to better looking students. The sexual harassment allegation is that "other" students have been harassed, these other students need to come forward if true. Not to point the finger at the girl but it is possible that she is just angry about her grades and trying to get even, until a proper investigation is done who knows..

quote: "She also claimed her fellow students have been sexually harassed by the lecturer. The student claimed the professor has touched the students who wear short skirts and tight fitting uniform inappropriately."

• Like 1

Yeah, seriously! If a young lady dresses like a harlot, who's to blame? In case of most body being revealed, almost any touch would be inappropriate. But the lecturer should have known better. Get a girl somewhere else, not at your work place...

I'm making no judgements on the merits of this particular situation, but while everyone gets their excitable knickers in a twist, let's just remember how many times students have used this accusation to get even with a professor for a bad grade.

Not that I know anything about this or anything....rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Good on her for trying to improve the system and calling out the bad behaviour. Thailand will never "DEVELOP" without people willing to upset the status quo.

I am just finishing grad school and have seen often how the girls like to make themselves look appealing. If they want to flaunt it, good on them. If the Lecherous Lecturers buys into it, shame on them. But this is the real world. No opt outs except the obvious. So in the words of the beatles, "Let it be".

• Like 1

You'd expect a university to be different from the real world?

Universities are the real world. I'm not sure why people often refer to them as otherwise. It takes all bits and pieces to make up the 'real world'. That of course is a much deeper discussion.

And yes, I expect educated University lecturers to behave.

My expectations are often not met.

Who are we-strangers in this country to judge? The girl may have a legitimate gripe, and maybe not. I have given up trying to understand this culture. I am weary of the griping and whining. So, come the end of this month, I will go back to a culture I understand somewhat. I sure as hell do not understand this one.

• Like 1

"The student claimed the professor has touched the students who wear short skirts and tight fitting uniform inappropriately."

Not possible. The rules say "short skirts and tight fitting uniform allowed".

Not true, either, if you know so well, since last year the rules have changed, ladies should not be wearing Mini-Skirts according to new law

Yeah, seriously! If a young lady dresses like a harlot, who's to blame? In case of most body being revealed, almost any touch would be inappropriate. But the lecturer should have known better. Get a girl somewhere else, not at your work place...

Exactly -- never mix business with pleasure

i was lecturer for a year in one university in bangkok...I stopped mainly because i thought i would turn crazy : not a single day without a female student comes and ask for a date (using homework help in a starubck as an excuse, etc) or use their charms to have a better grade.

Maybe we could also speak about the high-so families who complain and threat to move their kids to another univesity if they not pass the exams usccefully

• Like 2

Sounds like a thai lie from a vindictive, not too pretty girl, with bad grades. I sure this will come back on her by the way of other students shunning her and perhaps university expulsion. Definitely loss of face. Life is not fair but its easy to blame others.

• Like 1

I was a teacher at a University in Chiang Mai in 1989 to 91 (don't want to say the name as i am sure they all have this problem). Attractive female students would approach me for favors, you can guess what kind, to give them better grades. Most of them would not show up to class for several days and do poorly on their tests. They said their parents would be very angry with them and would do anything for a better grade. i told them how about coming to class and working for your grade, needless to say I was not the most popular teacher. For sure I refused the favors from the ladies and reported the problem to the dean. His response was we cannot fail many of the students you have given poor grades to as their parents contribute lots of money to the University.

It seems this problem is still going on. I see many new young farang teachers in Chiang Mai in pubs with live music having several student girlfriends. When I talked to them about this they say "Yea isn't teaching in Thailand great".

This is why attractive female students get better grades. They offer themselves for services rather than working for it and it pays dividends.

That is why I stopped teaching at University level. I still volunteer teach at high schools a few semesters a year 2 days a week for free.

I am not angry about this as that is just the way it is, I just don't want to be part of it. All I can say is the blame should be cast to both teachers and students or you could say the system.

Randy

• Like 1