EU Bans Instant Noodles From Thailand

george

The main issue would be the handling of the food after the irradiation process.  The irradiation process kills the bacteria but proper handling (packaging) afterwards must be handled in a sterile way or else they will reintroduce germs/bacteria into the items, in effect defeating the sterilization process.  So I suspect the Eu is not satisfied with the post-processing and labeling.

Very detailed and non-technical explanations can be found at CDC

One of my projects at CMU is to design and develop a particle accelerator for X-ray and electron beam food irradiation for the Thai government in order to reduce reliance on imported equipment (self-sufficiency).  Most irradiation currently is done by using highly radiactive materials such as Cobolt 60 or Cesium 137.  These are very dangerous materials and have to be handled by special techniques.  They emit radiation all the time and as such potential for accidents are high. Using a particle accelerator the radiation is better controlled (focused) and only there when the machine is turned on.  Not any different from a hospital x-ray machine except for the delivery mechanism.

Am I right in saying that any product can be in it's final packaging then irradiated, as the radiation passes through, paper, plastic, glass and whatnot?  If so then the hygene problem isn't much of one really.

About 15 years ago, as part of general on going training for my job as a process technician in the pharmaceutical industry, I visited an irradiation plant in the UK.  All sorts of rules and regulations govern it, safety was paramount.  The walls were 1 metre thick, cut out switches everywhere inside the room, triple locks on the triple locks on the doors etc.  At the time they were doing cosmetics, all final packed, so I presume food would be the same.  In the center of the room was a big tank of water, you could see the rods glowing a bright blue in the water, and could even put your hand in the water without getting nuked.  All quite safe until the rods were pulled out of the water to do their job.

Now I know why I have that soft glow about me!

I too was wondering where my hair went

Seen as you can't eat the noodles,why not soak them and comb them over your head as a toupe?

Anyway we've got enough to see us through to Easter,so no need to panic!After that i dont know how i'm gonna break the bad new to the wife,she will be distraught. :o

Ok can someone clarify what radiating means??  Why do they need to have radiated food??

Radioactive (nuclear) radiation is a controversial, yet internationally accepted method to preserve foods, it kills germs and bacteria.

Since acceptable levels for human consumption are pretty low, it's easy to get it wrong, specially when administered and supervised manually. Also, if the surroundings during processing are not sterile, the object of the exercise may be defeated.

Then again, as mentioned before, EU- bureaucrats have a reputation for imposing absurd impractical standards. :D

Not only to kill bacteria,the pods & seeds in dried 'seasonings' are iradiated

to render them sterile so you can't grow them !! i believe this is an effort

by the 'agro' businesses to prevent people 'growing your own'.

Don't get me started on GM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(it's all related !) :o

...seasoning packs enclosed were radiated without prior notifications to importers...

The way I read it, the problem is not the radiation treatment per se but the fact that EU importers were not told about it. If such notification requirement exists in the EU, as seems to be the case, I see no reason why Thai exporters should be exempt.

----------------

Maestro

So the loads of packets i've got in my cupboards - do i have to throw them away??

I wonder how many ex-pat teachers could survive on their salaries without instant noodles. This could be a major catastrophy. :D

As an expat teacher in Thailand (living in my cardboard box, sipping on noodles) I feel compelled to inform you that the word is 'catastrophe.'

No charge.

:o:D

"Steven"

Well, I'm not a teacher, but thanks anyway. I'll spellcheck next time.

So the loads of packets i've got in my cupboards - do i have to throw them away??

I wonder how many ex-pat teachers could survive on their salaries without instant noodles. This could be a major catastrophy. :D

As an expat teacher in Thailand (living in my cardboard box, sipping on noodles) I feel compelled to inform you that the word is 'catastrophe.'

No charge.

:o:D

"Steven"

Well, I'm not a teacher, but thanks anyway. I'll spellcheck next time.

I believe the term is iradiate. like what they do to that box milk :D