Looking For A Small Dog Breed (Pomeranian, Shitzu, Etc.)

I am looking for a small dog, i.e. Pomeranian, Shitzu, etc. for my teenage daughter who is recovering from cancer; it would be a great birthday present and especially the best therapy to help with her rehabilitation. I do not need a purebred, and it can be a mixed breed. A puppy (under six months) would be best, as it will have to be acclimated with my cats and one other medium size dog who thinks he is a cat.

I would prefer to adopt, but if the price is reasonable I would definitely be interested.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated; JUST DO NOT SUGGEST "JJ'S WEEKEND MARKET"!

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

• Like 1

Not sure why you particularly want a "small breed", particularly if you've got another dog and cats. Some smaller breeds are more susceptible to illnesses and need more care, and that's probably the last thing you want.

I'd suggest you want a puppy of about three months (not six, unless its already housetrained and familiar with cats); while mixed breeds can be hardier, one advantage with pure breeds is that their breed characteristics are known in advance so you can have a better idea of what they will be like as they get older.

It may help if you say where you are.

Not sure why you particularly want a "small breed", particularly if you've got another dog and cats. Some smaller breeds are more susceptible to illnesses and need more care, and that's probably the last thing you want.

I'd suggest you want a puppy of about three months (not six, unless its already housetrained and familiar with cats); while mixed breeds can be hardier, one advantage with pure breeds is that their breed characteristics are known in advance so you can have a better idea of what they will be like as they get older.

Unfortunately I am looking for a dog, not an opinion...but thank you anyway. Before you get your panties in a bunch over my comment, I am very familiar with all dog breeds, especially since I had gone to vet school before switching to becoming a M.D. As I stated in my original post, my daughter is recovering from cancer and the dog we have is a large breed which in her weakened state, is hard for her to control. A small dog will bring her some companionship and help her find the confidence to go back out into the world who has been less than kind to her due to the illness.

I hope my explanation is satisfactory.

By the way, I live in Bangkok.

• Like 1

I'm very sorry for what you, your family, and especially your daughter, are going through. But happy to read that she is recovering. :)

As for finding a small sized dog, you could visit a few dog shows and then decide (but usually expensive), search on the web for breeders (unfortunately in both cases it’s hard to say whether the pup doesn’t carry a hereditary disease) or, contact SCAD and have a look there first. Recently they have joined together with Soi Dog Foundation, and are caring for many dogs that are looking for a good home (many rescued from the dog meat market). Not sure about SCAD, but SDF has a shelter in Phuket where you can go and visit the dogs. Talk with the people there. Tell them your needs, and they can advice you. It may be that you and your daughter fall in love with one particular dog, possibly even an older dog.

Of course, as most dogs at the shelter are mixed breeds, there is the possibility that the tiny puppy you may adopt develops in a medium size dog.

You say in your OP, that you would like to give the puppy as a BD present. I would, however, suggest choosing the (puppy) dog together with your daughter. What kind of dog does she like and fits into your household and life-styles. Working together towards getting a puppy, can already be very helpful for the recovery of your daughter. Plus, it gives you both the time to choose your perfect (puppy) dog.

During the time of finding a suitable dog for your daughter she can start reading up on how to take care (including getting familiar with the many side-effects caused by over-vaccination. I do, for example, come across pups with behaviors similar to ADHD and autism. And currently there's an outbreak of distemper under both unvaccinated and vaccinated dogs in Chiang Mai), how to train aka educate the dog (I suggest she reads primarily about positive reinforcement and clicker training), dog behavior development and their language. If the new dog will be a female, read up about how early spaying can affect a strong-willed dog.

She can also start looking for a suitable dog training school in Bangkok where they provide puppy classes (if the dog will be a young puppy) and positive reinforcement training for both owners and their dogs, so that she can be totally involved in the training process of her own dog.

If you go for a puppy I'd rather suggest adopting one at 7 or 8 weeks old. The socialization window closes at around 3 months of age. Better to keep this socialization in your own hands. A proper socialization or lack there-of, lays the foundation for the behavior of the dog later in life. And socializing such a young puppy with cats is easier.

I wish you good luck with finding your daughter a wonderful new furry companion.

• Like 1

I got a bichon/poodle mix. He's energetic, intelligent, and has been very healthy. He's been fantastic for my father who in his old age an ailments doesn't get around much. Luukchin hops up on his lap and stays with him for hours.

While I prefer to adopt or rescue, I noticed it was harder to find small breeds other than at a market.

He's wearing a jacket because I brought him back to the US, he loves snow haha.

post-30367-0-97762900-1331531400_thumb.j

I'm very sorry for what you, your family, and especially your daughter, are going through. But happy to read that she is recovering. smile.png

As for finding a small sized dog, you could visit a few dog shows and then decide (but usually expensive), search on the web for breeders (unfortunately in both cases it’s hard to say whether the pup doesn’t carry a hereditary disease) or, contact SCAD and have a look there first. Recently they have joined together with Soi Dog Foundation, and are caring for many dogs that are looking for a good home (many rescued from the dog meat market). Not sure about SCAD, but SDF has a shelter in Phuket where you can go and visit the dogs. Talk with the people there. Tell them your needs, and they can advice you. It may be that you and your daughter fall in love with one particular dog, possibly even an older dog.

Of course, as most dogs at the shelter are mixed breeds, there is the possibility that the tiny puppy you may adopt develops in a medium size dog.

You say in your OP, that you would like to give the puppy as a BD present. I would, however, suggest choosing the (puppy) dog together with your daughter. What kind of dog does she like and fits into your household and life-styles. Working together towards getting a puppy, can already be very helpful for the recovery of your daughter. Plus, it gives you both the time to choose your perfect (puppy) dog.

During the time of finding a suitable dog for your daughter she can start reading up on how to take care (including getting familiar with the many side-effects caused by over-vaccination. I do, for example, come across pups with behaviors similar to ADHD and autism. And currently there's an outbreak of distemper under both unvaccinated and vaccinated dogs in Chiang Mai), how to train aka educate the dog (I suggest she reads primarily about positive reinforcement and clicker training), dog behavior development and their language. If the new dog will be a female, read up about how early spaying can affect a strong-willed dog.

She can also start looking for a suitable dog training school in Bangkok where they provide puppy classes (if the dog will be a young puppy) and positive reinforcement training for both owners and their dogs, so that she can be totally involved in the training process of her own dog.

If you go for a puppy I'd rather suggest adopting one at 7 or 8 weeks old. The socialization window closes at around 3 months of age. Better to keep this socialization in your own hands. A proper socialization or lack there-of, lays the foundation for the behavior of the dog later in life. And socializing such a young puppy with cats is easier.

I wish you good luck with finding your daughter a wonderful new furry companion.

Thank you for taking the time to write me, it is sincerely appreciated. I know SCAD very well as I have adopted the dog I have now and two cats from them; I also have a soi cat rescue that is fully funded by me.

I have had dogs all my life and my husband has trained dogs for longer than I have been alive, so we are know what we are getting into with a small dog. My daughter, who has just turned 19 today, is aware that she is getting a dog and it will be up to her to choose the right one for her (if we can find one). We thought about getting a dog from back in the states, but my daughter is unable to travel that far...there has to be someone in Thailand looking to sell or adopt out small dogs.

Thanks again for your information and your kind words.

• Like 1

i know of quite a few small breed dogs looking for homes in bangkok. they had been rescued from the dog meat trade and obviously had been stolen pets. please look and contact here

https://www.facebook...41818851&type=1

Thank you so much elfe, you have made my daughter's day! I was hoping to get a rescued dog instead of buying one (there are too many dogs out there that need good homes). My daughter is excitedly writing them an e-mail as I type and hopefully we can find a precious little dog that will fit well into our home.

• Like 2

i know of quite a few small breed dogs looking for homes in bangkok. they had been rescued from the dog meat trade and obviously had been stolen pets. please look and contact here

https://www.facebook...41818851&type=1

Ahhhh, yes yes yes, those are the dog-meat dogs I actually was referring to. :)

I didn't know Elza, but have subscribed to "Bitter Brownie's (Bee) facebook page.: https://www.facebook.com/beeproducer?sk=info

They (both Elza as Bitter Brownie, and all the others) are doing a fabulous job in trying to rehome those hundreds of rescued dog-meat dogs.

You can email Bitter Brownie at beeproducer (at) facebook (dot) com

Or send a facebook message to either of them.

And thank you both SBK and BigJohnson for your kind words. :)

• Like 1

hi bigjohnson, am so happy this is an option for you and your daughter!!! i have taken in so far 7 of those poor dogs rescued from meat trade and they are the most lovely and attached dogs you can ever think of! there are being more rescued all the time and desperately needed the new homes for them. many poodle/shitzu kind mixes too. if you contact khun elza then you sure will be able to visit the dogs in bangkok, she takes in quite a few all the time, lets them stay at vets if necessary and only rehomes them when they are healthy and ready. khun bee mainly takes the dogs out of the government shelter and tries to find adopters for them, she does not house them. i will write to khun elza too that you are interested in adopting one of her babies so she will know :)

• Like 2

That's why I named my dog luukchin, if we didn't buy him....

And Nienke knows her stuff, Luukchin spent some time with her and was much more behaved, until he moved to the US and was spoiled rotten!

Hahahah, spoiled rotten like my puggy: sleeps on my bed, thinks both pillows are hers, begs like crazy and even dares to squeak when I don't give her something quick enough. Gosh, I love her to pieces. :D

(Got to admit that my 2 GSD's are a tad better behaved than she is.)

Lookchin sure looks gooooooooooodddddd and happy on the picture, and he deserves it! :)

Hello,

This is BigJohnsons daughter. Thank you for everyones replies. I am so grateful for everyone taking the time to respond. So many animals lovers, it's so wonderful to see.

Does anyone know if theres a place where we can get the dog disability trained in Bangkok? Also what are the laws in thailand about disability help dogs ( are they allowed in stores, markets, BTS/MRT if he have their disability trained license and a worker shirt on?)

Unfortunately I am looking for a dog, not an opinion...but thank you anyway. Before you get your panties in a bunch over my comment, I am very familiar with all dog breeds, especially since I had gone to vet school before switching to becoming a M.D. .....

Well, I've un-bunched my panties and I should explain that my point was also for anyone who is unfortunate enough to be in a similar position to you or your daughter but lacks your expertise. A dog's manageability depends far less on its size than its temperament - just as an individual's natural ability to manage a dog depends far more on their temperament than their physical strength and size; many dog handlers who worked for me, particularly in the Far East, weighed far less than the dogs they handled.

While most dogs can be trained, to a greater or lesser extent, it can be very difficult to judge a dog's temperament as a young puppy and often the best guide to a dog's future temperament as an adult is its breed; Jack Russells and Great Danes are prime examples of extremes of both size and temperament.

Although there are exceptions, for example with seizure response dogs, there are good reasons why certain breeds are preferred for certain tasks as service dogs and size usually is only a factor where accessibility and a possible public fear of larger dogs (such as for sniffer dogs in airports) is concerned. Having said that, a number of excellent service dogs that have worked for me came from dog homes or were donated and there is no reason, given your and your husband's experience, why the dog Kelsgrenier chooses should not be an ideal companion and everything she is hoping for.

I am afraid that as far as disability help dogs, mobility assistance dogs, etc, are concerned, Kelsgrenier, I am told that they are not recognised by Thai law as they are in the States under the ADA, so although it may do no harm for your dog to have a "licence" and a "worker shirt" it won't have any legal validity and what recognition you get will be up to the individual. There are a number of dog training schools in Bangkok, some considerably better than others, and the best advice I can give you or anyone else looking for one is to look and make up your own mind about what suits both you and your dog and if you actually need a school or just some guidance. If your dog is a puppy, as it sounds as if it will be, ignore anyone who tells you that they can help you at this stage with service dog training for your puppy as no genuinely qualified and experienced service dog trainer (such as those certified by the CCPDT, ADI, or IAADP) would even consider training a dog under 6 months in service dog tasks; most, like the Guide Dogs (Guide Dogs for the Blind) in the UK only start service dog specific training after the dogs are over a year old and before that they just have basic obedience training (house training, sit, down, stay, come, walking on a lead, etc) which I imagine your father should be able to help you with.

Whatever dog you choose, I hope that he (or she) helps you get back on your feet again - your body may have let you down but most dogs never will, and it sounds as if you and your dog will be helping each other get on with lives that have had more than their fair share of hiccups recently. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you have solved your problem, but I have a gorgeous little 2.5 month old male puppy. He is 1/2 Chihuahua, 1/4 Pom, and 1/4 Shih Tzu. Both the father and mother belong to us. He has had the first round of shots and deworming, and has been in house-training since six weeks. It's not finished, but it is progressing and I have detailed records for the entire training period.

I do not wish to let him go, but I have to make a trip to the US and cannot take him, nor do I want to leave him half-trained.

Pix are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/107532459479191336390/NongPo

Sandy