How To Purchase Goods On Internet? What Card Is Required?

The VISA debit card says electronic use only and does not have my name, just says priviledged member. In australia a debit card has the same functionality as a credit card, but here the VISA debit cards seem not to work on the net. Does anyone have a Thai debit card that works on the net? And what does electronic use only mean? Thanks

Yes mine does.. Bangkok Bank Debit card 'Visa'

Booked Hotels, Booked flights, paid for new UK passport 7 weeks ago.. used overseas, for goods as well as ATM

Had a Bangkok Bank Debit card with 'Visa' logo on it for years, never had a problem

Edit: Hotels and flight via online booking no problems

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

Yes mine does.. Bangkok Bank Debit card 'Visa'

Booked Hotels, Booked flights, paid for new UK passport 7 weeks ago.. used overseas, for goods as well as ATM

Had a Bangkok Bank Debit card with 'Visa' logo on it for years, never had a problem

Edit: Hotels and flight via online booking no problems

Hmm ok, does yours also say "electronic use only" and does it have your name in it?

thanks

Electronic use only - this simply means in cannot be used in the old manual style carbon copy card machines, it has to be electronic reader type as in most stores etc.

Some cards can be used online, it doesnt matter if the name is on the card or not, as long as you state the name exactly as it is on your account when giving details.

Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank cards can be used this way, Kasikorn also have a "virtual" card available via online banking for online shopping which for security reasons can be switched on for use and disabled when you have finished.

Electronic use only - this simply means in cannot be used in the old manual style carbon copy card machines, it has to be electronic reader type as in most stores etc.

Some cards can be used online, it doesnt matter if the name is on the card or not, as long as you state the name exactly as it is on your account when giving details.

Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank cards can be used this way, Kasikorn also have a "virtual" card available via online banking for online shopping which for security reasons can be switched on for use and disabled when you have finished.

Its so frustrating, i have visa debit cards from siam bank and krung thai which also dont work. I need to use my card as a funding source for google adwords and facebook ads, it doesnt work on either, i suspect its because its not personalized to my name, i have not tried to actually purchase goods online, only attempted to add it to google and fb. So frustrated

Electronic use only - this simply means in cannot be used in the old manual style carbon copy card machines, it has to be electronic reader type as in most stores etc. PS i did supply my name exactly as on the account but still no luck, anyway thanks for your help,

i did enter the name the same as on the account but no luck, thank you anyway guys Edited by Natmoss

I have a Bangkok Bank Be1st Visa debit card (their standard issue debit card)...,my name is "not" on it...it has the CVV code...I have it linked in U.S. Paypal account as a source of payment...I've only used it once thru PayPal as a test and it worked fine. The Electronic Use Only statement means it can't be used in the old style impress/carbon copy devices since the debit card don't have raised letters...it can only be used in a "electronic" matter like in ATMs, online use, etc. As FYI, some online stores/merchants don't accept debit cards of any kind; only credit cards, PayPal, etc. Check with your bank to make sure it's not coded for ATM use only since restrictions can be put on cards.

Edited by Pib

I have a Bangkok Bank Be1st Visa debit card (their standard issue debit card)...,my name is "not" on it...it has the CVV code...I have it linked in U.S. Paypal account as a source of payment...I've only used it once thru PayPal as a test and it worked fine. The Electronic Use Only statement means it can't be used in the old style impress/carbon copy devices since the debit card don't have raised letters...it can only be used in a "electronic" matter like in ATMs, online use, etc. As FYI, some online stores/merchants don't accept debit cards of any kind; only credit cards, PayPal, etc. Check with your bank to make sure it's not coded for ATM use only since restrictions can be put on cards.

ok i will see if paypal accepts it, i read terms on Facebook which state they do accept debit cards, and google also does. In oz i tell them i want a debit card, its good everywhere, why is it so hard to get anything done im Thailand

ok i will see if paypal accepts it, i read terms on Facebook which state they do accept debit cards, and google also does. In oz i tell them i want a debit card, its good everywhere, why is it so hard to get anything done im Thailand

Link it to paypal thai acct. It should be flawless. Cant speak for other banks...my bkb debit card has worked flawlessly. Try giving them your address in english exactly how you will use it.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

I have a visa Bangkok Bank debit card also, last year I booked an Air Asia ticket to go to Australia without too many problems. Last week I tried to book Air Asia again to go to Australia and everything went fine untill I got to the payment bit, it asked me the type of card I had as in Mastercard, visa etc, I pressed visa and the only option then was through the Siam bank and as I said I have only Bangkok Bank, I was unable to overcome this problem and failed to make my booking.

There are a couple of Bangkok Bank gurus on this TV , are they reading this, can they help me? Would appreciate it. I wonder how many bookings Air Asia are missing out on due to the difficulty people have in booking online with them? They have lost at least three with me.

I have a visa Bangkok Bank debit card also, last year I booked an Air Asia ticket to go to Australia without too many problems. Last week I tried to book Air Asia again to go to Australia and everything went fine untill I got to the payment bit, it asked me the type of card I had as in Mastercard, visa etc, I pressed visa and the only option then was through the Siam bank and as I said I have only Bangkok Bank, I was unable to overcome this problem and failed to make my booking.

There are a couple of Bangkok Bank gurus on this TV , are they reading this, can they help me? Would appreciate it. I wonder how many bookings Air Asia are missing out on due to the difficulty people have in booking online with them? They have lost at least three with me.

There's an option for other cards also. Can't remember exactly what it looks like now but it's not hard to figure out.

The Siam Bank card has no convenience fee attached to it.

As for purchasing generally on the internet, I've never had problems with my UK credit cards or debit cards.

Edited by PattayaParent

I cannot remember as so many years ago.....

Maybe you need to ask your Bank and they will activate it to work online ? I do remember signing something to limit the amount in a transaction but that is 8 odd years ago and at my age simply can no longer remember

Please Pattaya Parent, put your thinking cap on and figure it out for me as it has me stumped. When it comes to computers and anything to do with them I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

There's another 'radio button' as one of the choices for 'other cards' or something like that.

Haven't used it in a while so can't remember exactly. You need someone who has done a recent transaction but the optionis there.

• 3 weeks later...

Please Pattaya Parent, put your thinking cap on and figure it out for me as it has me stumped. When it comes to computers and anything to do with them I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Having just booked a cheapo ticket with Air Asia in their latest promotion I can now tell you how to use a card other than SCB.

post-51760-0-77753100-1332921899_thumb.j

Click the Credit card/Debit card option and then you can use other cards.

I have a Paypal account linked to my UK bank account in GBP.

I wanted to open a local Kasikorn bank account and a new Paypal account in THB.

I got an ATM (debit) card with my new account.

I also opened a virtual (on-line) credit card and use that number to connect my bank account with my Paypal account.

The debit card is accepted in places like Tesco.

I have only used the virtual credit card for paypal and other on-line purchases such as Amazon.com

The Air Asia website is a scam. They dont want you to book the specials online. They want you to go to the counter and pay a higher price. Tried 4 different credit cards 2 Thai ATM's, and 1 virtual credit card and non could make payment.

Nokair is cheaper anyway and you get food and drink with your ticket.

I hate Air Asia

The Air Asia website is a scam. They dont want you to book the specials online. They want you to go to the counter and pay a higher price. Tried 4 different credit cards 2 Thai ATM's, and 1 virtual credit card and non could make payment.

Nokair is cheaper anyway and you get food and drink with your ticket.

I hate Air Asia

I, and millions of others, have never had a problem paying online with Air Asia. In 5 years I have never had to pay at the counter.

Seems like maybe the problem is not with Air Asia but with you?

I did prefer Nok though but they don't fly international any more.