Sat Nav Covering Thailand In English

Dave the Dude

A bloke I know bought a 31,500 THB CS320 which attaches to the windscreen and plugs in to the cigarette lighter. It loses satellites when in high building areas but now I can just punch "HOME" anywhere in BKK and get there by voice direction from a pleasant Brit female voice.

Give it a try.

A bloke I know bought a 31,500 THB CS320 which attaches to the windscreen and plugs in to the cigarette lighter.  It loses satellites when in high building areas but now I can just punch "HOME" anywhere in BKK and get there by voice direction from a pleasant Brit female voice.

Give it a try.

Thanks for the advice. I will check it out next week when in bkk/samui. I hope they cover Issan too as I will be living in Surin??? :o

A bloke I know bought a 31,500 THB CS320 which attaches to the windscreen and plugs in to the cigarette lighter.  It loses satellites when in high building areas but now I can just punch "HOME" anywhere in BKK and get there by voice direction from a pleasant Brit female voice.

Give it a try.

Thanks for the advice. I will check it out next week when in bkk/samui. I hope they cover Issan too as I will be living in Surin??? :o

Dude,

If you or someone you know can read Thai, try this site Thai MTB they have some good reviews and tips. You can also ask questions in english as I understand the web master speaks/writes english.

Hi first timer here

Does anyone know if car sat nav systems are available that cover Thailand and are in English?? I've tried various Internet sites when in england and failed miserably  :o

Here is a website that covers the Garmin GPS Navigation units in Thailand.

http://www.gadgetrend.com/gps_nav.php

cheers mate. thanks for the lead. Have a happy new year

• 2 weeks later...
Hi first timer here

Does anyone know if car sat nav systems are available that cover Thailand and are in English?? I've tried various Internet sites when in england and failed miserably  :o

Go to THE IT MALL in Pantip Plaza here in BKK...on the second floor. The Thai salesman spent 27 years in New York so his English is Bronx. He sells GPS navigation systems for Thailand. He knows his stuff. His name is Jimmy.

Hi first timer here

Go to THE IT MALL in Pantip Plaza here in BKK...on the second floor. The Thai salesman spent 27 years in New York so his English is Bronx. He sells GPS navigation systems for Thailand. He knows his stuff. His name is Jimmy.

Can you be a bit more specific please -- where on the second floor?

Hi first timer here

On the middle corridor between the two banks of escalators. The name of the shop is "THE IT MALL".

I bought a Garmin iQue M5 at TukCom in Pattaya a few months ago. It’s a pocket pc with built in GPS, car kit included. Complete Thailand map.

Used it up to a village outside Surin via some national parks, and it took me all the way to the doorstep. Had problem once only, and that was because of major roadwork. I am very impressed of the details, even street navigation in Pattaya. Haven't had the chance to test it in Bangkok yet.

I bought a Garmin iQue M5 at TukCom in Pattaya a few months ago. It’s a pocket pc with built in GPS, car kit included. Complete Thailand map.

Used it up to a village outside Surin via some national parks, and it took me all the way to the doorstep. Had problem once only, and that was because of major roadwork. I am very impressed of the details, even street navigation in Pattaya. Haven't had the chance to test it in Bangkok yet.

Does it 'read' right through the windscreen or do you have to use an outside sensor? The Garmin that I tested would not catch the satellite signal through my glass.

Give it a try.

What is the CS320?

I am hard pressed to imagine a GPS navigation system that would work very well here in BKK. What with all the sois that have limited turn possibilities...defacto one-way streets...etc. But I want to give one a try.

Mine did, but I have read somewhere that some have had problems with that in Mercedes. Maybe they use special glass? Mine was a Toyota by the way, tinted glass with light tinted film inside. Actually, I was a bit surprised that it could get that good signals. Only problem is in narrow streets, then an external antenna would be helpful.

At the shop they also had an antenna with the GPS built in. Just connect to your laptop. I was thinking about that one first, but no, my laptop is too big for that use.

Mine did, but I have read somewhere that some have had problems with that in Mercedes. Maybe they use special glass? Mine was a Toyota by the way, tinted glass with light tinted film inside. Actually, I was a bit surprised that it could get that good signals. Only problem is in narrow streets, then an external antenna would be helpful.

At the shop they also had an antenna with the GPS built in. Just connect to your laptop. I was thinking about that one first, but no, my laptop is too big for that use.

Yes, I have MBs and the Garmin that I tested it with (a S) would not read through the glass. Though the glass is not tinted it is sensitive to rain (when water hits it the wipers start to wipe...so that may be the cause).

We also have a SLK that I have not tested it on. But I expect I might have the same problem. But, with the SLK I can put the top down.

Were your driections for turns here in BKK helpful? I am really interested in this model if you think it works pretty well in the city.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I haven't tried in BKK yet, but the map looks good. So if it performs like it have done so far, I believe it would work. But of course, as mentioned above, narrow Soi's could be a problem with the internal antenna. And all the one way streets, it have to be tested. You can also try this website;

http://www.thaimtb.com/cgi-bin/viewkatoo.pl?id=45641

it's in Thai and have a lot of information. They answer in English if you have any questions and it looks like they have done really extensive tests.

I have a iQue M5. It is a PDA + ESRI's digital map. The M5 is not expensive, but it is the map. I travelled to the remote areas of N Eastern regions, Udon Thani, Khoekaen, SakonNakorn, it has all the details of small roads when I locate my vendors.

In bangkok, it is as detailed as you can get.

You need no outside sensor, as it has a flip up receiver, but you have to check the solar film I have a friend's car with 40% film and it still works. Under bridges or narrow streets with building on both sides, it might lost signal, but as you move on, it is quickly locked with the satellites again.

I once navigates to IMPACT exhibition. It showed me to the place but the some entrances/exits were blocked, so re-routing is mandatory.

The voice command and map data is in English. I wish the search function of POI are more intelligent. You cannot find Condo XXX when you key in XXX.

The car kit suction cup is powerful, my complain is the difficulty to angle the receiver up when you had it inserted into the cradle of the car kit, because of the sloping windscreen.

The PDA is slow, probably of the massive map data. (80+ MB). The screen is readable in the daylight.

The service from ESRI is great. (http://www.esrith.com/Eindex.cfm)Called them for the version 6.7 map update and in 1 day they EMS the CDROM over. It now contains another 10MB for the Asia pacific general maps for free.

Should you get a streetpilot C320 or the iQue M5 (the new M3 has concealed receiver) depends on whether you want to stick your gadget to the windscreen everytime or bring the M5 and walk with you when you are not in the car.

I chose the M5, overall I am satisfied with its performance.

Edited by armortec

I'm going to get one in a week or so when I get back to Bangers, want one that'll look good on my 'Tuner dash. The C320 sounds the ticket.

Let me know how it goes with the C320 if you do get one - thinking about getting one for my 'Tuner but won't be in BKK for a couple of weeks. You planning on getting a second mount for the Jazz as well?

I'm going to get one in a week or so when I get back to Bangers, want one that'll look good on my 'Tuner dash. The C320 sounds the ticket.

Let me know how it goes with the C320 if you do get one - thinking about getting one for my 'Tuner but won't be in BKK for a couple of weeks. You planning on getting a second mount for the Jazz as well?

Flogged the Jazz a few weeks ago. Bought it for 480K, drove for a year and flogged it for 520K, not a bad deal!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Dear All

I have a handheld pc by Medion which has GPS and used maps on SD cards pretty much like other GPS systems. I use this in UK and it works fine but am planning to visit our home in Ubon (Isaan) and wish to use my handheld pc in my car there. My questions are as follows:

Does anyone know if I can just buy the Thai map/s from one of the shops in BKK on a SD card and will it be compatible with my hh pc. If so where to buy and approx: how much?

Secondly will GPS mapping work as far as Ubon in the North East of Thailand and upto the Laos border?

Thanks for any help.

Jay

• 10 months later...
Hi first timer here

On the middle corridor between the two banks of escalators. The name of the shop is "THE IT MALL".

I just moved to BKK, and in search of a GPS unit. Is the "THE IT MALL" shop still there in Pantip?,.. Pantip is probably the only few places that I know of in BKK, I did some searching for Gadgetrend, but afraid that I'll get lost trying to get there.

Anyone know the number for the "THE IT MALL" shop?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. :D

Happy New Year !!!

I am using a pocket pc whit gps reciever whit the software : Smartmap Road guide from mappoint asia you can buy it in the at book chest in pantip for 899 thb it is just a map whit gps tracking no voice or other routing .

but it works ok for me ( should work whit the medion ppc also )

Bram

www.mappointasia.com

Edited by bram

Hi first timer here

I just moved to BKK, and in search of a GPS unit. Is the "THE IT MALL" shop still there in Pantip?,.. Pantip is probably the only few places that I know of in BKK, I did some searching for Gadgetrend, but afraid that I'll get lost trying to get there.

Anyone know the number for the "THE IT MALL" shop?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. :D

Happy New Year !!!

Hi Indothai

WoW my thread has been rolling for over a year!!!

Anyways,although I spend my time far,far north easterly than BKK,I do remember driving along one of the suspended toll roads and seeing recently a VERY large Mall titled THE IT MALL.(its not just a shop,as u think) and I'm sure a taximeter man will be able to take you there no problem.

Good luck and dont forget to post your thoughts on the system u go for !

Happy New Year :D

Dave the Dude, thanks for the info. I went to ESRI hoping to get the Nuvi 350, ... got the usual, "yes in stock" on the phone. and "sorry out of stock" on site. Still trying to decide which to get.

The Garmin StreetPilot is available at Platinium on 2nd floor of Pantip. I am very happy with it.

• 2 months later...
Dave the Dude, thanks for the info. I went to ESRI hoping to get the Nuvi 350, ... got the usual, "yes in stock" on the phone. and "sorry out of stock" on site. Still trying to decide which to get.

Curiosity: have you already fund a unit for yourself? And what is it?

Edited by moris