UPDATE 1 -- U.S. soldier goes on shooting spree, kills 16 Afghan civilians

News_Editor

UPDATE 1 -- U.S. soldier goes on shooting spree, kills 16 Afghan civilians

2012-03-12 08:02:06 GMT+7 (ICT)

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (BNO NEWS) -- A U.S. service member was arrested on early Sunday morning after going on a shooting spree in southern Afghanistan, killing sixteen civilians in their homes and injuring several others, officials said.

The attack happened at around 3:45 a.m. local time when a U.S. soldier opened fire in the Panjwai district of Kandahar province. "A U.S. Army soldier, at around 3 o'clock, came out [of his base] and turned his gun at the people," a spokesman for the governor said, adding that the soldier entered at least three houses.

Provincial officials confirmed sixteen civilians, including nine children and three women, were killed while five others were wounded. "There were some who were wounded, of course, and those wounded are being treated at a coalition medical facility now," said Major Jason Wagner, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

Locals described the shooting as a 'barbaric act' and demand the perpetrator to be given a heavy punishment, raising fears of widespread protests next week and retaliation attacks by insurgent groups such as the Taliban. Afghan President Hamid Karzai also strongly condemned the incident, calling it a 'terrorist act' and demanding an explanation.

U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta spoke with Karzai on late Sunday, offering his 'deepest condolences and profound regret' for the shooting incident. "A full investigation is already underway. A suspect is in custody, and I gave President Karzai my assurances that we will bring those responsible to justice," Panetta said. "We will spare no effort in getting the facts as quickly as possible, and we will hold any perpetrator who is responsible for this violence fully accountable under the law."

Panetta emphasized that the incident does not reflect its values or progress made in Afghanistan. "I condemn such violence and am shocked and saddened that a U.S. service member is alleged to be involved, clearly acting outside his chain of command," he said. "I told President Karzai that the American people share the outrage felt by President Karzai and his fellow citizens. This tragic incident does not reflect the commitment of the U.S. military to protect the Afghan people and help build a strong and stable Afghanistan."

U.S. President Barack Obama was briefed on the incident by his senior national security staff and later called Karzai to express his shock and sadness. "This incident is tragic and shocking, and does not represent the exceptional character of our military and the respect that the United States has for the people of Afghanistan," Obama said in a statement. "I fully support Secretary Panetta's and General Allen's commitment to get the facts as quickly as possible and to hold accountable anyone responsible."

Sunday's incident comes after weeks of violence after U.S. troops were accused of burning Qurans at the Bagram Airbase. The accusations triggered a series of violent protests across Afghanistan which have left more than 30 people killed, including six U.S. soldiers who insurgents said were killed in revenge.

The shooting incident is likely to increase already high anti-American sentiment in Afghanistan, and Sunday's news immediately drew a harsh response from the Taliban which labeled it an 'act of genocide' and accused ISAF and Afghan government forces of deliberately carrying out the attack.

"The so-called American peace keepers have once again quenched their thirst with the blood of innocent Afghan civilians in Kandahar province," a Taliban spokesman said in a statement. "Witnesses from the scene say that during the raids, the American terrorists and their puppets shot the household members at point blank range. The unsuspecting innocent victims have been sprayed with hundreds of bullets and have been cold-bloodedly martyred."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-03-12

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some would say he went crazy, (I do) but if you look back over the years at this country it is more likely that he went Native (he did) - it is not like the two conditions don't share a lot of similar characteristics.

I guess it would have been better if Obama had really lived up to what he said he would do in the first place and the kid would not have even been in country to start with.

I am wondering if the American media is reporting this honestly and accurately because clearly the British

are now understandably worried about any possible reprisals against their troops.

The Daily Mail claims

" Taliban vows to avenge deaths, saying more than one soldier involved "

and yet this is the first time I have heard of this allegation?

Edited by midas

they just going to far now,burning the korans,chopping off body parts and scalping the victims and taking photos of these acts,now killing kids.what would you think if it was happening in your country.

the one guy who they have caught is a 38 year old father of two.

i hope he is delt with by afgan courts.

• Like 1

I hope that the loon who did this ends up sharing a cell for a long time with Bradley Manning and Julian Assange in a Marine red-line brig.

Oh yeah......Since they are all guilty of such similar crimes? Man your justice scales need adjusting...

I am wondering if the American media is reporting this honestly and accurately

I think you know the answer to that...............

These guys are headed down the same path as the Russians....& many more before them.

Edited by flying

I hope that the loon who did this ends up sharing a cell for a long time with Bradley Manning and Julian Assange in a Marine red-line brig.

Oh yeah......Since they are all guilty of such similar crimes? Man your justice scales need adjusting...

They are all guilty of putting a lot of people in danger and all deserve to serve hard time. The length of their individual sentences should be decided by a court.

Edited by Ulysses G.

This guy will be sent to the US & go to a Hospital where they deem him insane & therefore not guilty....

He will spend his life on the taxpayers dime...

If instead an Afghan had run into a US base & killed 16 of them & their families how would he be treated?

Would he even be allowed to be controlled by the Afghan military/Courts? No way... he would be a deemed "Terrorist" & be

in GITMO taking showers with a blindfold & his feel higher than his head.

I vote they give this guy to the Afghan courts or better yet the parents of the dead children to deal with

Edited by flying

This guy will be sent to the US & go to a Hospital where they deem him insane & therefore not guilty....

It sounds like your crystal ball is somewhat biased. He will be tried under the UCMJ and wherever he ends up will not be pleasant.

We will see? Or perhaps we will not be privy to it......

But as most know in the US an act such as this is usually played off in courts as Insanity......I mean basically it is Insanity of course

But his lawyer will use it in his defense. He will be said to have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder due to his years of service in the Military

Personally I never thought Insanity should be allowed in court as a defense for murder as no Sane person ever murdered anyone.

Edited by flying
  • Like 1

It sounds like your crystal ball is somewhat biased. He will be tried under the UCMJ and wherever he ends up will not be pleasant.

<snip>

Ulysses has it about right. He will be sent to the US where he will be subject to a military court martial under the rules of the UCMJ. If he is found guilty he will receive a sentence up to and possibly including execution.

He will not be put on trial in Afghanistan by either the US military or the Afghan government.

Edited by craigt3365
removed deleted post

I think predictions of him ending up in some cushy hospital are way off. This guy broke in to private homes in the middle of the night and executed unarmed women and young children. He's not only a murderer but a traitor, a lot of Americans will probably die because of what he did. He's gonna pay, politically he'll have to be severely punished. The military has executed soldiers for lesser crimes in the past, none since 1961, but if the story about what this guy did is accurate he may be the first in a long time.

• Like 1

I don't quite get the reasoning that putting American lives in danger should be given so much consideration here - the guy killed sixteen people in cold blood, mostly women and children, and then tried to burn their bodies, and elsewhere I read he even urinated on them first - it's as if they are not counted as humans comparing to potential victims of Taleban revenge.

I see it as a case of completely screwed up priorities, but maybe I'm not as enlightened in "democratic" ways.

Oh, and what's an appropriate "severe punishment" for killing sixteen people and desecrating their corpses?

Execution or life in prison. I don't think anything less will be acceptable if the story so far is accurate

Oh, and what's an appropriate "severe punishment" for killing sixteen people and desecrating their corpses?

Execution or life in prison. I don't think anything less will be acceptable if the story so far is accurate

I think live in prison would be fair, democratically speaking, but don't they execute people in the US for far less? How about playing by local rules - how they dealt with Saddam or Qaddafi or Bin Laden or numerous Al Qaeda members in the region?

I don't quite get the reasoning that putting American lives in danger should be given so much consideration here - the guy killed sixteen people in cold blood, mostly women and children, and then tried to burn their bodies, and elsewhere I read he even urinated on them first - it's as if they are not counted as humans comparing to potential victims of Taleban revenge.

I see it as a case of completely screwed up priorities, but maybe I'm not as enlightened in "democratic" ways.

We killed about the same total with drone strikes within a day of this murder. How is death different? One was intended and the other was collateral damage. Collateral damage can be predicted to some degree. We don't seem to care but I bet the relatives of the dead care a great deal.

• Like 2

Well, there's one difference - this guy will probably live, not comfortably but live, will also have his day in court and a defense attorney. Same courtesy can't be extended to Afghanis killed either by him or US drones.

...and the same courtesy can't be extended to the 3000 who died on 9/11....

We seem to forget the reason America is in Afghanistan...

And why exactly are America still in Afghanistan?

• Like 1

Well, there's one difference - this guy will probably live, not comfortably but live, will also have his day in court and a defense attorney. Same courtesy can't be extended to Afghanis killed either by him or US drones.

...and the same courtesy can't be extended to the 3000 who died on 9/11....

We seem to forget the reason America is in Afghanistan...

Yes. like JUDAS, I have also forgotten why we are in Afghanistan, could you be so kind as to remind us why we are approaching a 10 year campaign in the Stan. What reason exactly are you talking about?

Yes. like JUDAS, I have also forgotten why we are in Afghanistan, could you be so kind as to remind us why we are approaching a 10 year campaign in the Stan. What reason exactly are you talking about?

I assume they are still 'draining the swamp' in the immortal words of Dubya.

I also have to remind you that bin Laden was only taken out last May.

Pelosi is the one that vowed to drain the swamp (Congress), not GWB.

I assume they are still 'draining the swamp' in the immortal words of Dubya.

I also have to remind you that bin Laden was only taken out last May.

just because you drank the Kool-Aid you mustn't assume others on this forum

did the samegiggle.gif