I Found A Bike I Want But Its 800Km Away

i found a new bike and the seller is happy to take a small bank transfer deposit and keep it until the weekend but its in a small town far away and i dont mind riding it but 800km is a bit mental when you dont know the way and cant read the road signs,dont speak the language and there is a chance of bad weather

the thai guy doesnt speak english ,but says it has a legal green book and also tax + insurance but id like to get my name on the green book ASAP (same time we exchange the cash + keys )

i dont feel great about paying a shitload of cash and then taking a bike if the seller decides to stop answering phone calls ,i know he can sign page 2 Power of attorney form and give me a copy of his id card so i can transfer it without him but .........if it later transpires the bike has some unsecured loan or finance attatched i would have bought a whole lottta trouble and then i could never sell it also

Check if the numbers in the green book are identical with the ones at your bike. You'll need to have some documents from the Transportation department to run it in your name.

Don't give this guy cash without knowing all about the bike. Ask at the transportation office and cops for help, if this bike is "clean"!!

If everything works out fine, you can also send it via truck, all provinces in this country have companies to send big bikes. Make a deal with this guy, if he can't deliver it to you.

He needs to fill out some forms as well, copy if his id etc.....

Not saying that he's a bad guy, but you should be careful. Good luck!!! jap.gif

You can also send the bike by Thai Post from any post office.

You can buy a GPS at a reasonable price and bolt that onto the bike as well.

Well he needs to see it, well I would so he has to go there, wherever, so going there he would know his way back I guess, or just say " Want go Nakhon Sawan " pretty central to where you want to go in Thailand. laugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Well he needs to see it, well I would so he has to go there, wherever, so going there he would know his way back I guess, or just say " Want go Nakhon Sawan " pretty central to where you want to go in Thailand. laugh.png

the bike is only months old and hardly any km ,pretty much immaculate condition from the pics so im not so worried about the damage aspect

but will obviousy check ,its if he got the bike on finance or a bank loan etc and didnt make any payments etc

i was planning to fly there on a saturday and ride back (hard to remember roads when passing in the plane lol)

problem is ,bike needs to be inspected at his local dlt ,frame number + engine number etc

that means we cant do it on a weekend ,so it would be a monday /tuesday affair

i need my wife to negeotiate / translate ,whatever u want to call it because nobody speaks english at this guys house

and she has work monday to friday also so if we both cant work until wednesday ,4 days wages lost + flights + accomodation

its not so cheap after all,and i could do 800km in one day on a bike but she couldnt i think ,mite be funny to try but best to buy a gps also

i am not keen on having it shipped by a third party because they really dont give a f@@k and the chance of scratches or worse is likely

i wil think on it for a day or two ,see if anything can be organised

if i trusted the guy i could send him money to transfer it and ride it to bkk and pay his plane ticket home with a few thousand thb extra for the inconvenience

the bike is only months old and hardly any km ,pretty much immaculate condition from the pics so im not so worried about the damage aspect

but will obviousy check ,its if he got the bike on finance or a bank loan etc and didnt make any payments etc

i was planning to fly there on a saturday and ride back (hard to remember roads when passing in the plane lol)

problem is ,bike needs to be inspected at his local dlt ,frame number + engine number etc

that means we cant do it on a weekend ,so it would be a monday /tuesday affair

i need my wife to negeotiate / translate ,whatever u want to call it because nobody speaks english at this guys house

and she has work monday to friday also so if we both cant work until wednesday ,4 days wages lost + flights + accomodation

its not so cheap after all,and i could do 800km in one day on a bike but she couldnt i think ,mite be funny to try but best to buy a gps also

i am not keen on having it shipped by a third party because they really dont give a f@@k and the chance of scratches or worse is likely

i wil think on it for a day or two ,see if anything can be organised

if i trusted the guy i could send him money to transfer it and ride it to bkk and pay his plane ticket home with a few thousand thb extra for the inconvenience

I really think you should buy something in Bangkok.

That aside.

Private sale you can do Saturday if he has the genuine green book it is not on HP.

Check engine No. & frame No. in the book with the numbers on the bike.

You certainly need your wife to verifly everthing.

You will need his details of address and ID, photocopies etc.

If everything checks out fly the mrs home.

If you are going to ride from the far north I take it, to Bangkok is not a problem.

Take it to your local DLT sometime when you are back.

Edited by Kwasaki

some of the info on this thread is a bit wrong

i bought a bike in rayong and thinking the same ,got the seller to sign everything over ,give me a phtocopy of his id card ,house book and everything

I paid him and took it to bkk to transfer ,they took one look at the book and said thats a rayong bike ,it must be trannsferred in rayong

BKK REFUSED to transfer bikes that have the paperwork in another province

so another day off work for me and a thai staff member going back to rayong DLT to figure things out

they asked us in rayong to inspect the bike pay the sales tax and go through the documents with a fine tooth comb

then the girl asked us if wed like to move the bike to be permanently registered at the bkk office so further

matters would not need an unnecessary trip to rayong ,i said ok and she ticked a box on the form

then we sat down and waited for the green book to be ready

after half an hour the book was given to us and we were ready to walk out and the lady says :

you have 14 days to present the bike for inspection in bkk

<deleted> ?,we just inspected it here less than AN HOUR AGO and everything was fine and legal

??

she says : oho ,thats the rayong inspection for change name in book,BKk wil have to do an inspection also before they change it to their office

I said ok,wel just leave the registration here then (at rayong )

she says oho ,can not ,transfer procedure has already been ordered ,bike must be presented in less than 14 days in bkk !!!

ANOTHER DAY OFF WORK TO WASTE IN A DLT OFFICE ! :D

• Like 1

some of the info on this thread is a bit wrong

i bought a bike in rayong and thinking the same ,got the seller to sign everything over ,give me a phtocopy of his id card ,house book and everything

I paid him and took it to bkk to transfer ,they took one look at the book and said thats a rayong bike ,it must be trannsferred in rayong

BKK REFUSED to transfer bikes that have the paperwork in another province

so another day off work for me and a thai staff member going back to rayong DLT to figure things out

they asked us in rayong to inspect the bike pay the sales tax and go through the documents with a fine tooth comb

then the girl asked us if wed like to move the bike to be permanently registered at the bkk office so further

matters would not need an unnecessary trip to rayong ,i said ok and she ticked a box on the form

then we sat down and waited for the green book to be ready

after half an hour the book was given to us and we were ready to walk out and the lady says :

you have 14 days to present the bike for inspection in bkk

<deleted> ?,we just inspected it here less than AN HOUR AGO and everything was fine and legal

??

she says : oho ,thats the rayong inspection for change name in book,BKk wil have to do an inspection also before they change it to their office

I said ok,wel just leave the registration here then (at rayong )

she says oho ,can not ,transfer procedure has already been ordered ,bike must be presented in less than 14 days in bkk !!!

ANOTHER DAY OFF WORK TO WASTE IN A DLT OFFICE ! biggrin.png

laugh.pnglaugh.png Nice one, not the same for us at the time but come on it's the same old proverbial saying TiT.

And a slightly altered quote from " Scuba/b " but still on que for these situations " This is Thailand and every separate government province, and cops there in, insurance carrier, DLT offices, Tax office, and any day of the week is different from the next. biggrin.png

I have bought one bike and one car outside of Bangkok and done all the ownership and province transfer in Bangkok without any problems. The process was exactly the same each time and easy to do. Perhaps Wana was missing the documents allowing him to transfer the registration province, as you have to do this on behalf of the previous owner before you transfer the ownership. That means you need two different power of attorneys (one for province transfer and one for ownership transfer) and another form to actually do the province transfer, in addition to all the usual ownership transfer docs.

What bike is it, and is it a grey import? If he claims it was dealer bought in Thailand you can just ring up the dealer and they will run a check on the VIN number to tell you if it was bought from them or not. If it all checks out and he has the greenbook then there is nothing to worry about. If it is a grey import, be very careful and fully check out that all the numbers match and there is nothing dodgy going on.

Edited by madjbs

I have bought one bike and one car outside of Bangkok and done all the ownership and province transfer in Bangkok without any problems. The process was exactly the same each time and easy to do. Perhaps Wana was missing the documents allowing him to transfer the registration province, as you have to do this on behalf of the previous owner before you transfer the ownership. That means you need two different power of attorneys (one for province transfer and one for ownership transfer) and another form to actually do the province transfer, in addition to all the usual ownership transfer docs.

What bike is it, and is it a grey import? If he claims it was dealer bought in Thailand you can just ring up the dealer and they will run a check on the VIN number to tell you if it was bought from them or not. If it all checks out and he has the greenbook then there is nothing to worry about. If it is a grey import, be very careful and fully check out that all the numbers match and there is nothing dodgy going on.

it isnt a grey import ,its a barely used r1 from yamaha bigbike showroom and its got an official thai book (not an under the table book )

I dont want to risk sending it with thai post because its in mint condition and id hope to get back in one piece ,even if it means

staying on the gas for hours and just stopping for breaks in petrol stations

the guy seems fairly straight up but anyone can seem that way when they pulling a scam !

So go up and get it. Check all the numbers match up, ring Yamaha to check it matches up with them, check his docs match with greenbook name and his ID isn't expired etc.. If everything is ok, have him sign all the transfer docs (with some to spare), then drive it back to Bangkok and do the owner transfer here.

• Like 1