Latest U.S. drone strikes kill 15 in northwest Pakistan

News_Editor

Latest U.S. drone strikes kill 15 in northwest Pakistan

2012-03-14 04:01:49 GMT+7 (ICT)

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (BNO NEWS) -- At least fifteen suspected militants were killed on early Tuesday morning when U.S. drones carried out two separate airstrikes in northwest Pakistan's volatile tribal region, Pakistani intelligence officials said.

The first attack happened when a U.S. drone fired two missiles at a vehicle in Uthghalai, a town in South Waziristan between Birmal and Shawal in neighboring North Waziristan. The airstrike was targeting commanders of the Mullah Nazir group, which is known for fighting against U.S.-led security forces.

Pakistani intelligence officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said at least eight people were killed in the airstrike while several others were injured. Among those killed were two Mullah Nazir commanders, the officials said, although it was not possible to get independent confirmation.

Hours later, another unmanned U.S. drone fired two missiles at a vehicle in the Sara Khurah area of Shawal, in Pakistan's Punjab province. Officials said seven suspected militants were believed to have been killed in the airstrike, but other details were not immediately available.

Few details about casualties from the strikes are usually available, but allegations of civilian casualties regularly spark protests in Pakistan. According to the Washington-based think tank New America Foundation, as many as 2,680 individuals were killed as a result of U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan between 2004 and early 2012.

Last Friday, at least twelve suspected militants were killed when a U.S. drone fired missiles at a vehicle and a house in the Shaktoi area of South Waziristan, near the Afghan border. Two missile strikes were reportedly launched from the U.S. drone, completely destroying the vehicle and the building.

In January, U.S. President Barack Obama, for the first time during his presidency, publicly acknowledged that U.S. drones regularly strike suspected militants along the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan. He confirmed that many of these strikes are carried out in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan, targeting al-Qaeda and Taliban suspects in tough terrain.

The U.S. considers the Pakistan-Afghan border to be the most dangerous place on Earth. The area is known to be a stronghold of the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani Network, which is one of the top terrorist organizations and threats to U.S.-led forces in Afghanistan.

But controversy has surrounded the drone strikes as local residents and officials have blamed them for killing innocent civilians and motivating young men to join the Taliban. Details about the alleged militants are usually not provided, and the U.S. government does not comment on the strikes.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-03-14

The airstrike was targeting commanders of the Mullah Nazir group, which is known for fighting against U.S.-led security forces.

Remind me again whose country this is happening in?

The US goes into Pakistan and the local goat herders get up in arms and fight back. What a shock. How dare they, bombs away.

• Like 1

The airstrike was targeting commanders of the Mullah Nazir group, which is known for fighting against U.S.-led security forces.

The US goes into Pakistan and the local goat herders get up in arms and fight back. What a shock. How dare they, bombs away.

On the map it's Pakistani territory, but in reality, the Pakis have nearly no hand in what goes on there. The only goat herders who are getting targetted are those who pick up AK's and get fired up to shoot at westerners. Similar dynamics have been happening all over the world since Man first formed gangs and attacked other gangs - about 250,000 years (or longer, if you count troops of apes). Lesson: If you choose to fight a stronger force, you take the chance of getting killed.

Maybe the US should explain this to Pakistan once and for all - they are at war. Maybe then Pakistani government decides to protect its goat herders/terrorists and engage Americans with whatever they have. Let's see how "stronger force" dynamics changes then and whether the US continues to have an appetite for killing goat herding terrorists there.

On the map it's Pakistani territory, but in reality, the Pakis have nearly no hand in what goes on there. The only goat herders who are getting targetted are those who pick up AK's and get fired up to shoot at westerners. Similar dynamics have been happening all over the world since Man first formed gangs and attacked other gangs - about 250,000 years (or longer, if you count troops of apes). Lesson: If you choose to fight a stronger force, you take the chance of getting killed.

Since when was there a war with Pakistan?

The goat herders pick up AK's to shoot at westerners because....................why the hell are the westerners in Pakistan shooting at them?

Please don't give me the apeman scenario, I thought we'd moved on from that or are us westerners still in the stoneage.

Pakistan wants U.S. drones out.

Singer said that "for several years, Pakistan has openly said, 'How dare you violate our sovereignty,' but it turned out the CIA was flying from Pakistani bases with Pakistan's permission." This time, it's possible "they really mean it," after a series of high-profile disputes have damaged relations, Singer said.

Many of the same insurgents who are taking shots at westerners are also fighting the Pakistani establishment. Pakistan, as with most Middle Eastern countries, is heading towards inevitable rule by Islamist hot heads. It's a downward spiral that's near impossible to counter, because of needing a strong resolve to eradicate the hot heads. It's like trying to get cockroaches out of an old house they've been in for decades. Probably what Europeans and N.Americans should do, is let them stew in their own juices. Unfortunately, the hot heads are not content with merely messing up their own houses, they feel compelled to spill their venom over to western countries. Hence, things like 9-11, the Madrid bombings, New Delhi, etc. happen. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Maidu , please cease writing the truth as this often confuses other peoples beliefswink.png

Many of the same insurgents who are taking shots at westerners are also fighting the Pakistani establishment. Pakistan, as with most Middle Eastern countries, is heading towards inevitable rule by Islamist hot heads. It's a downward spiral that's near impossible to counter, because of needing a strong resolve to eradicate the hot heads. It's like trying to get cockroaches out of an old house they've been in for decades. Probably what Europeans and N.Americans should do, is let them stew in their own juices. Unfortunately, the hot heads are not content with merely messing up their own houses, they feel compelled to spill their venom over to western countries. Hence, things like 9-11, the Madrid bombings, New Delhi, etc. happen. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

911 happened because they had the same beliefs. Don't like them, don't agree with them, they're dangerous, just go in and kill them..

We've become them.

Pakistan has gotten 20 Billion dollars since 2001 from the US

I believe it is roughly 1.5 billion a year now?

Sadly that seems to be enough payola to overlook the killing of their own in so called

collateral drone damages

Edited by flying

Sadly that seems to be enough payola to overlook the killing of their own in so called

collateral drone damages

When you have members of your population brainwashed from birth with hatred and various idiocies, it is difficult to convert them to more rational/reasonable thinking, such as others have a right to a life different to yours. Eventually economics say it is far better just to eradicate them, especially when they become murderous.

And even better if you can get somebody else to do the dirty-work.

collateral drone damages

When you have members of your population brainwashed from birth with hatred and various idiocies, it is difficult to convert them to more rational/reasonable thinking, such as others have a right to a life different to yours. Eventually economics say it is far better just to eradicate them, especially when they become murderous.

In which case you will soon be eradicated?

I don't know who OZMick means here, but it seems Pakistani government has decided to side with Americans in their treatment of their own wayward goat herders, so far it was going on smoothly but a series of latest incidents put the government on a collision course with much larger segments of Pakistani population than a couple of mountain tribes.

I can't easily imagine what kind of beef those goat lovers have with American government. I can't imagine they care much about Islamabad either, but since they are being bombed by American drones launched with permission of Pakistani government they might finally consider themselves as being at war.

But what do I know, they might be hatching plans of world domination up in their caves, testing new Islamic iPads that will dethrone Apple as the best technology company in the world. Their mere existence seems to be a threat to the world peace.

• Like 1

I don't know who OZMick means here, but it seems Pakistani government has decided to side with Americans in their treatment of their own wayward goat herders, so far it was going on smoothly but a series of latest incidents put the government on a collision course with much larger segments of Pakistani population than a couple of mountain tribes.

I can't easily imagine what kind of beef those goat lovers have with American government. I can't imagine they care much about Islamabad either, but since they are being bombed by American drones launched with permission of Pakistani government they might finally consider themselves as being at war.

But what do I know, they might be hatching plans of world domination up in their caves, testing new Islamic iPads that will dethrone Apple as the best technology company in the world. Their mere existence seems to be a threat to the world peace.

But the last group of goat herders were Uzbeks, I guess the Pakistani government could equally consider themselves at war with these foreign goat herders, who unlike the Americans don't pay for pasture rights.

• Like 1

That's what they are? Pasture rights? Americans are simply grazing there, like sacred cows? wai.gif

Well, maybe it looked like that to Pakistani government in the beginning but now no one seems to be in charge there and the next gang at the top might treat Americans very differently. Being friends with the government and enemies of the people is a recipe for disaster.

That's what they are? Pasture rights? Americans are simply grazing there, like sacred cows? wai.gif

Well, maybe it looked like that to Pakistani government in the beginning but now no one seems to be in charge there and the next gang at the top might treat Americans very differently. Being friends with the government and enemies of the people is a recipe for disaster.

I think they may be guarding the nuclear hen house from the Jihadist fox. As for the U.S being the 'enemies of the people'. Perhaps the people may feel that the likes of the suicide bomber who blew up a funeral was more their enemy than the Americans.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm missing something and Americans are real heroes in the eyes of all those Muslim goat herders, be they Pakistanis or Afghanis.

Maybe I'm missing news reports of all those villagers crying when they think of the day American troops pull out of Afghanistan and drones do not protect them from terrorists anymore.

Maybe reports of a secret deal with Taleban point to exactly that - Taleban doesn't want the US to leave and begs them to stay and occupy the country for another decade or two.

As for nuclear hen house - you are right, if American "friends" there didn't think twice about selling nuclear technology to North Koreans and god knows who else, imagine what will happen when "jihadists" get their fingers on all kinds of nuclear buttons. Never mind that jihadists might be in numerical majority there and so deserve the "democratic" right to do with nukes whatever pleases goat herders and Allah himself.

Poor Americans, one fine mess they've created over there, didn't they?

Edited by volk666

Volk666, I have to disagree. The Americans didn't create the mess, but they certainly aren't doing much to decrease the chaos and mayhem. They really seem to have a great deal more fortitude for endless than fighting most.

Volk666, I have to disagree. The Americans didn't create the mess, but they certainly aren't doing much to decrease the chaos and mayhem. They really seem to have a great deal more fortitude for endless than fighting most.

Lebanon and Mogadishu emboldened our enemies by showing that Americans didn't have a taste for its own blood and would leave after a few dead American soldiers were shown on TV. Bin Laden himself mentioned this. After 10 years of ground combat in two countries it's safe to say that's changed. The drones are a reminder that we are still ahead in technology just as the first laser-guided smart bombs and stealth fighters in the first Persian Gulf War once did. So the USA has the largest military (equipment-wise at least), the most technologically advanced and now the most battle experienced. Unfortunately, terrorism and guerrilla warfare are the only ways to combat an opponent like that.

Obviously in a complicated situation like this it's impossible to single out one particular cause but, broadly speaking, the US has absolutely no business getting involved in that part of the world. Iraq and Iran at least have oil, Pakistan and Afghanistan have nothing.

At least one way to explain it is that Americans went there to drive Russians out of Afghanistan which, in retrospect, does not justify the current costs at all.

Now, thirty years later, they got some friends, they've got a lot more enemies, and Pakistanis have nukes and Americans have no choice but to stay there forever, or at least until all the goat herders abandon Islam and their Taleban preachers and embrace US imposed democracy, like that is going to happen anytime soon.

Lebanon and Mogadishu emboldened our enemies by showing that Americans didn't have a taste for its own blood and would leave after a few dead American soldiers were shown on TV. Bin Laden himself mentioned this. After 10 years of ground combat in two countries it's safe to say that's changed. The drones are a reminder that we are still ahead in technology just as the first laser-guided smart bombs and stealth fighters in the first Persian Gulf War once did. So the USA has the largest military (equipment-wise at least), the most technologically advanced and now the most battle experienced. Unfortunately, terrorism and guerrilla warfare are the only ways to combat an opponent like that.

Maybe so, maybe that notion, that Americans would leave at the first sign of blood, has been refuted, but Taleban strategy from 2001 still holds - it's your land and if you stick it out Americans will leave and we will prevail, just have faith.

I also would speculate that it's not that Americans are ready to take it on the chest now, unmanned drones prove rather the opposite, but Americans have enough military and economic power to inflict damage without exposing themselves. Good for them, but probably not enough to win the war.

Yesterday Karzai told them to not leave their bases, hand off most security tasks to Afghanis, and speed up their exit planned for 2014. Maybe he wasn't serious but I doubt he was speaking for himself, I think he has been under pressure to get tough with Americans and that pressure is not going to go away.

Of course you can draw a line from some oil rich place to the sea shore and then call it a strategically important zone but it would be cheaper and more reliable to have Russians deliver it to you via their usual Siberia - Europe or China links. After all the proposed sources are inside Russian sphere of influence anyway, you still have to make a deal with them, and there's no way one pipeline can possibly justify thirty years of heavy involvement, sponsoring Pakistan with its nukes etc etc.