Certificate Of Residence

petewan

I am due to renew both my car and motorbike license which i intend to do on the same day and had wondered why i should need two residence certificates and the only reason i could think of was because it would enable immigration to make a few extra baht out of me, so i am glad that you are confirming that in fact one certificate is enough. Thanks

Immigration will ask you why you want the Residence Certificate. If you tell them it is for both car and motorcycle licences, they will press you to get two certificates. indeed, they will "automatically" prepare two without even asking you and charge you B400. You can argue with them and tell them that you only need one certificate -- they will comply -- or, the easier way, is to tell them you just need one for a car licence and be done with it. It is obviously a profitable business for Immigration.

I renewed my car and motorcycle licences about 1 month ago with one Residence Cerficiate. Two weeks later I bought a new motorcycle in Bowin. I tried to use a copy of the same Residence Certificate to purchase and get the Greenbook for the new bike. The Honda shop accepted the Residence Certificate copy, for which I was very pleased -- score one for rationality! But I got a call from the Honda shop this past week to tell me that they needed an original of the Residence Certificate. So, that did not work. It is worth noting that when I recently opened a bank account they required a Residence Certificate, but accepted a copy, so it is always a good idea to have a copy of your last Residence Certificate, and try to use it rather than getting a new one. It may work if it is not more than 1 month or two old.

I got my licenses in Rayong with my US drivers license, IDP, medical certificate, and certificate of residency and did not have to take any written or driving tests. I only took the vision and reaction tests.

Probably due to you having the IDP. I didn't and had to take the driving test, but they did give me a 5 year license.

I recently obtained a "bluebook" from Pattya city hall based on owning falang quota condo. I think there is my name in this book written in thai..ermm.gif

Is this book and copy of this consired as certificate of residence when buying scooter, renewing licence etc..?

Edited by thaitero

I recently obtained a "bluebook" from Pattya city hall based on owning falang quota condo. I think there is my name in this book written in thai..ermm.gif

Is this book and copy of this consired as certificate of residence when buying scooter, renewing licence etc..?

Have a Thai look for you and I think you will find that your name is NOT written in the Blue Book and if someone erroneously did place your name it it it will not suffice as a certificate of residence for the purposes you mentioned

The first page of the Blue Book (face page) merely lists the official address of the condo. Occupants (Thais) are listed on the following pages.

My Chanote lists several "farang" owners of my condo but all the pages in my Blue Book are blank, other than the first Thai owner, prior to the condo changing over to " farang quota"

I am 99% sure that my name is on that bluebook because although i do not understand thai but i can compare last line on my Chanote and the first page of this "bluebook" but yes you are right, i have to doublecheck this with a thai.

I have heard that someone in hua Hin managed to get his scooter registered with this bluebook without visiting immigration..Maby it was mistake or something.. TiTbiggrin.png

Langsuan Man is correct about the 'Blue House Book'. It can't be used to officially show residency for foriegners. However a 'Yellow House Book'(Tor. Ror. 13) can be used. Foreigners can only be registered in the 'Yellow Book' the 'Blue Book' is used to register Thais only.

post-52310-0-08399700-1336834714_thumb.j

A Chanote does not show residency.

Check this out for more info: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/156485-yellow-tabien-bahn/

Edited by BB1950

To be perfectly honest with you, since the rules for issuing a Yellow Book are so dependent upon you local Amphur, I have found it just easier to get a Certificate of Residence at Immigration for those few times that I have needed to prove my residence (drivers license, car registration)

There have been reports of farangs being able to get health care up country by using their Yellow Book here on Thai Visa, but most posters admit that eventually the hospitals get wise and stop providing farangs with benefits just for showing a Yellow Book

• Like 1