Self-Defense Within Your Home

connda

This is the third mention of this infamous anti-gun lobby in this thread . . . yet not a sign of even an individual. You guys sound like the NRA hyperventilating about their rights being abused when a bill is proposed to ban armour-piercing bullets.

I guess one can always create an enemy

Ok. Now here comes the anti-gun lobby.

You may want to get your facts straight about the NRA and the armor (American spelling) piercing bullets controversy. The NRA did not oppose legislation banning the sale of armor piercing bullets to the general public. The NRA opposed the language of the initial proposed statute which would have banned ALL conventional rifle cartridges. The NRA SUPPORTED the revised law which banned the sales of armor piercing bullets to non-law enforcement, and the law was passed. Hence in the U.S. armor piercing bullets are not legal for civilian purchase. You can THANK the NRA for helping sponsor the law, and you should realize that there are alot of police officers who are members of the NRA and the NRA does care about the safety of police officers.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvcopk.html

Secondly, we are talking about Thailand's law. Under Thai law, firearms are legal. If someone asks on this forum whether they may purchase a firearm, I am simply informing them of the law. And under Thai law, both Thai and Falangs are legally allowed to purchase.

• Like 1

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is the third mention of this infamous anti-gun lobby in this thread . . . yet not a sign of even an individual. You guys sound like the NRA hyperventilating about their rights being abused when a bill is proposed to ban armour-piercing bullets.

blackheli.jpgblackheli.jpgblackheli.jpgblackheli.jpg

Nope, but there you go again . . . one man is hardly a lobby and did I say anything about being anti-gun ownership?

Go ahead, create your own enemies - it helps your cause

You may want to get your facts straight about the NRA and the armor (American spelling) piercing bullets controversy. The NRA did not oppose legislation banning the sale of armor piercing bullets to the general public. The NRA opposed the language of the initial proposed statute which would have banned ALL conventional rifle cartridges. The NRA SUPPORTED the revised law which banned the sales of armor piercing bullets to non-law enforcement, and the law was passed. Hence in the U.S. armor piercing bullets are not legal for civilian purchase. You can THANK the NRA for helping sponsor the law, and you should realize that there are alot of police officers who are members of the NRA and the NRA does care about the safety of police officers.

http://www.guncite.c...l_gcgvcopk.html

Secondly, we are talking about Thailand's law. Under Thai law, firearms are legal. If someone asks on this forum whether they may purchase a firearm, I am simply informing them of the law. And under Thai law, both Thai and Falangs are legally allowed to purchase.

What about non-Thais who are asian? Are they allowed to own guns?

What about non-Thais who are asian? Are they allowed to own guns?

Careful, you might be labelled as part of the anti-gun lobby . . .

I don't think there are any differences in law between Asian and non-Asian foreigners in this respect, though there are in commerce where certain ASEAN advantages apply

^^ Yes. The law and procedure has been discussed before in Thaivisa. I should not have said "Thais & Falang" and should have said "Thai nationals and non-Thai nationals".

And Sing-Sling, I guess I was wrong about you being a part of the anti-gun lobby. Let's say you break out yer ol' .30-06 and a we go a huntin' in the backwoods for some grub. Yeeeeeeeehhaaaaaaw.

http://www.guncite.c...l_gcgvcopk.html

Subby,

I have a lot of respect for you and your posts. They are generally eloquent and well argued. For some reason too, this thread seems to have made its way without too much rancour - which is always nice having to had modded them once upon a time.

My only question is what are the safeguards in Thai law to prevent weapons guns falling into the hands of paranoid types, or, to be honest, those who don't need them.

Having lived in Thailand for a long time, the country doesn't have a gun culture in the same way as the Philippines, a good thing in my book. The last thing i want to see also is guns getting into the hands of young hoods.

For me, gun ownership isn't a right, but I don't have problem with people using them on ranges, in clubs, and i guess, where it is safe, for hunting and pest control. Less so for 'personal protection', especially when people are untrained and where those weapons are not kept safely.

• Like 1

As far as I am aware catapaults are not illegal in Thailand. OK, maybe not exactly on a par with a gun for self defence but they can be very effective. Plenty of good excusues for having a catapault too.

Basic catapult are 20 bts on the market, I carry one on the bike for any over zealous dogs that fancy their chances. They are not strong though, held together with small rubber bands that will let you down.

^^ Yes. The law and procedure has been discussed before in Thaivisa. I should not have said "Thais & Falang" and should have said "Thai nationals and non-Thai nationals".

And Sing-Sling, I guess I was wrong about you being a part of the anti-gun lobby. Let's say you break out yer ol' .30-06 and a we go a huntin' in the backwoods for some grub. Yeeeeeeeehhaaaaaaw.

There's a difference between being a redneck and not scraping one's dinner off the road in Arkansas - I don't hunt because we have supermarkets but learned how to use weapons while in the service.

Do I believe private gun ownership? Partially. Do I believe in the right to own guns? No.

As far as I am aware catapaults are not illegal in Thailand. OK, maybe not exactly on a par with a gun for self defence but they can be very effective. Plenty of good excusues for having a catapault too.

Basic catapult are 20 bts on the market, I carry one on the bike for any over zealous dogs that fancy their chances. They are not strong though, held together with small rubber bands that will let you down.

get a bigger bike ,mine weighs about 320kg when im riding it or closer to 400kg with a paseneger

any soi dog gets in the way he wont last long :)

how do u use a catapult when riding a bike anyway ?

I come from a country (Canada) which has stringent gun laws. Only criminals and police are allowed to have handguns in Canada, and I'm as afraid of the police as I am of the criminals. Canadians live right nex door to a gun crazy country, so the comparisons are obvious.

I LIKE guns, but mine are all sporting weapons... but are no less dangerous.

That said, I've NEVER felt threatened in any way in Thailand. But, I don't show any outward signs of being a target, either. I don't live an opulent life style and I don't wear gold. I don't flash a lot of cash either, even though I've often got 20,000 baht on my person at any given time. Of course, I often have a weapon available and have no qualms in using it.

If I was really worried about having my family threatened in a family housing unit then I might have some serious construction done to prevent easy entry. But, that said, I still think the wisest choice is to not show any obvious signs of wealth. And, a yappy little dog kept in the room with you is better than most alarm systems. At least it will give you advance warning.

In Canada my family always left our doors unlocked until we moved to an upscale part of the city, but which backed right onto a First Nations reserve. My mother was always generous and bought wooden carvings from the local natives even if they weren't very good. One of the natives became quite famous and when other natives saw his work in our home we became a target. Some native broke into our home and stole the specific carvings done by the well known artist. Unfortunately, the result was my mother never bought another piece of Indian art and she told all future carvers the reason for it. And, our doors were always locked from that day forward.

• Like 1

There's a difference between being a redneck and not scraping one's dinner off the road in Arkansas - I don't hunt because we have supermarkets but learned how to use weapons while in the service.

Supermarkets? Now yer usin' dem high falootin' fancy city word. That's like puttin' a hat on a piglet and calling 'em a winnebago. I say its done time you put away yer troubles and come on out. I take my cousin Jethro Somchai's truck and we can shoot up some critters from the back. Them Thai critters make fine vittles. I can cook up some chitlins and we can have a dandy ol' time. Whaddya say?

Another thing I believe is that is a fundamental right of every human being to defend himself/herself and his/her family. I believe this "right" to defend oneself eminates from a higher power...whether anyone calls that power God, Buddha, Allah...or whatever name anyone cares to use. There is no religion that has ever made it a sin to defend oneself from violent attack.

Didn't some religious bloke say something about turning the other cheek?

My ex girlfriend is currently a Los Angeles Police Department officer, and has been for 11 or so years. She has guns (obviously) and I have guns. She has seen more shootings than most I am sure. I asked her her thoughts on gun control and whether they should be outlawed. Her response was that if guns were criminalized, then only criminals would have guns.

Well woudn't that make the job of the police easier, just shoot whoever has a gun.

Didn't some religious bloke say something about turning the other cheek?

As I recall, that particular religious bloke was crucified.

Well woudn't that make the job of the police easier, just shoot whoever has a gun.

Well, yeah...they kind of just do that already.

get a bigger bike ,mine weighs about 320kg when im riding it or closer to 400kg with a paseneger

any soi dog gets in the way he wont last long smile.png

thats a big woman you got mate. Sturdy.

Edited by nocturn

any soi dog gets in the way he wont last long smile.png

thats a big woman you got mate. Sturdy.

i said closer

320kg + a passenger is closer to 400kg than 300 :)

BTW do thai women even come in the 80 KILO variety or is that exclusive to western women ? :D

Can people not make their own? We used to as kids and with some very powerful elastic with steel frames.

The reason I mentioned catapaults is because I have seen a few in use further north in Thailand and they were also quite powerful, certainly enough to cause a lot of pain.

But it is just an idea as opposed to having guns at home (something Brits do not tend to carry / have at home / use, unless you are a Gangsta or something smile.png

Maybe a good old rounders bat (baseball bat - for the Americans) would do the trick and leave a nice dent in someones head :P

Edited by pattayadingo

The Glock that costs about USD$500 in the USA costs USD$2500 to purchase in Thailand. Anyone who has the financial ability to pay USD$2500 for a handgun is also not going to go out and use it to rob someone, take a contract killing out on someone, or what other nefarious uses could be made with it.

What about a sucessful drug dealer ?

I hope the TV anti-gun lobby don’t roll in and destroy this thread as they did another recently.

It seems whenever the issue of firearms appear on this board, the anti-gun lobby shows up.

I just don't feel like arguing today. I will say for anyone contemplating home defense that firearms are legal for both Thais and Falangs to own/keep in their homes subject to certain rules and procedures. Search Thaivisa and the procedures and rules are out there already. Just because you are Falang, do not automatically assume that you will be denied the ability to have a firearm. This is simply not true.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Greek for "Come and take them!"; Response of Greek King Leonidas to the demand of Persian King Xerxes to surrender his weapons at the battle of Thermopylae.)

This is v interesting.

Conventional TV wisdom is that farangs are not allowed to own guns.

Is this not the case? And if so, how can a farang obtain a gun legally?

I hope the TV anti-gun lobby don’t roll in and destroy this thread as they did another recently.

It seems whenever the issue of firearms appear on this board, the anti-gun lobby shows up.

I just don't feel like arguing today. I will say for anyone contemplating home defense that firearms are legal for both Thais and Falangs to own/keep in their homes subject to certain rules and procedures. Search Thaivisa and the procedures and rules are out there already. Just because you are Falang, do not automatically assume that you will be denied the ability to have a firearm. This is simply not true.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Greek for "Come and take them!"; Response of Greek King Leonidas to the demand of Persian King Xerxes to surrender his weapons at the battle of Thermopylae.)

This is v interesting.

my American friend bought one (small semi automatic )in the wifes name but they do probably

need it because they live miles and miles from the nearest cop should any trouble arise

i dont know if its necessary to have a gun in the centre of bkk though :)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is v interesting.

my American friend bought one (small semi automatic )in the wifes name but they do probably

need it because they live miles and miles from the nearest cop should any trouble arise

i dont know if its necessary to have a gun in the centre of bkk though smile.png

You havent answered the question...the gun is not in the farangs name, its the wife's and the permit will be in her name

but its his gun ,she wouldnt know one end of it from the other ,hes an ex -marine

if anyone breaks in he intends to shoot them and when the police come down tell them the wife done the shooting

and there should be no problems

i dont know if a farang is even allowed his own gun unless hes has a permit as a bodyguard or on one of the international task forces

that operate in thailand

but its his gun ,she wouldnt know one end of it from the other ,hes an ex -marine

if anyone breaks in he intends to shoot them and when the police come down tell them the wife done the shooting

and there should be no problems

i dont know if a farang is even allowed his own gun unless hes has a permit as a bodyguard or on one of the international task forces

that operate in thailand

It's his gun about as much as its his own land/house.....its his wife's....is his name on the permit ?....if no.... its not his gun....he has mearly provided the funds to purchase said firearm..same same as many farangs do when buying houses, land cars for their little Isaan teeraks

BTW...what has being an Ex-marine got to do with this

the question asked was "Is this not the case? And if so, how can a farang obtain a gun legally?"

has said Ex-marine obtained a firearm legally in his own name ?....if he had why would he shoot someone and then give the credit to his wife ?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is v interesting.

There is a thread here on thailawforum from last month (Feb,2012) which addressed the issue;

foreigners may obtain gun licenses in Thailand as long as they have a Thai work permit, a Thai house registration, and a Thai criminal record check. Tourists may not buy firearms

I can't validate the accuracy of that information but lawyers aren't expensive in Thailand, so any foreigner wanting a Thai gun license should just enlist the services of a local law firm to help apply for a license in the area they live.

I come from a country (Canada) which has stringent gun laws. Only criminals and police are allowed to have handguns in Canada, and I'm as afraid of the police as I am of the criminals. Canadians live right nex door to a gun crazy country, so the comparisons are obvious.

I LIKE guns, but mine are all sporting weapons... but are no less dangerous.

That said, I've NEVER felt threatened in any way in Thailand. But, I don't show any outward signs of being a target, either. I don't live an opulent life style and I don't wear gold. I don't flash a lot of cash either, even though I've often got 20,000 baht on my person at any given time. Of course, I often have a weapon available and have no qualms in using it.

If I was really worried about having my family threatened in a family housing unit then I might have some serious construction done to prevent easy entry. But, that said, I still think the wisest choice is to not show any obvious signs of wealth. And, a yappy little dog kept in the room with you is better than most alarm systems. At least it will give you advance warning.

In Canada my family always left our doors unlocked until we moved to an upscale part of the city, but which backed right onto a First Nations reserve. My mother was always generous and bought wooden carvings from the local natives even if they weren't very good. One of the natives became quite famous and when other natives saw his work in our home we became a target. Some native broke into our home and stole the specific carvings done by the well known artist. Unfortunately, the result was my mother never bought another piece of Indian art and she told all future carvers the reason for it. And, our doors were always locked from that day forward.

Our home in the village is pretty well secure: wall, barbed wire, iron and windows and doors. It's a deterrent. If someone wants in, they can get in if they're determined. But like you said, we pretty much told every one we know that there isn't anything of value in the house. If someone wants to break-in and steal something, they're gonna be pretty disappointed. I live very simply by choice.

But---

Yaba is a problem in Thai villages. Ours is no exception. I'm more worried about some tweeker cranked up on meth who decides to visit the "rich farang" in the village. That would go badly, more than likely, for all parties. Hence my original question -- I'm more worried about young, male villagers who are temporarily chemically altered (alcohol, meth, smack, whatever). I hope I'm never put in the situation. God forbid. But...it does happen.