Stop Popping Pills, Thai Public Health Warns

webfact

Stop popping pills, Public Health warns

PUANGCHOMPHOO PRASERT

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Thais consume 128 million medicine tablets each day on average, according to the Department of Medical Services (DMS).

"Such a huge amount is worrying because the residue from medicines can accumulate in bodies and harm people's health," Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri said yesterday.

He said his ministry planned to seriously promote regular exercise and good choice of food as a means to maintain good health in the 2013 Fiscal Year, which will start from October 1."Then, we should be able to reduce Thais' dependence on medicines," he said.

Witthaya also went as far as instructing authorities to introduce incentives for people who agreed to give up medicines that they might not really need.

"For example, people may be allowed to trade in their unused medicines for eggs and bowls. Such incentives have already been implemented in some provinces," the public health minister said.

DMS deputy director-general Dr Praphon Tangsrikiatkul said annual medicine consumption in Thailand jumped to Bt98.375 billion in 2008, up from Bt36.506 in 2000.

"The ratio of imported medicines has also risen from 46.06 per cent to 65.54 per cent over the same period," he said.

He said one-third of the people had used the medicines based on their own judgement, advertisements or advice given by friends or relatives.

"About two-thirds used the medicines based on advice from medical workers such as doctors or pharmacists," Praphon said.

He said antibiotics were the most popular medicines, accounting for about 18 to 20 per cent of sold medicines. "In some cases, the antibiotics are taken unnecessarily. For example, there is no need to use antibiotics for flu caused by virus," he said.

Praphon also warned consumers against adjusting the dosages themselves, using the medicines prescribed to someone else, failing to pay attention to pharmacist's explanation about how to use the medicines, to take the medicines on time, and to check the expiry date of medicines.

"Improper storage of medicines can also affect the efficiency of medicines. Consumers must pay attention to that," Praphon said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-15

The problem is that many people expect magic pills from their doctor, and if they don't get them, they will go to another doctor. It's probably also a way for badly-paid doctors to make a bit of extra cash.

So you have both the supply and demand sides active.

Antibiotic abuse is especially dangerous -- I've seen antibiotics dished out for colds, even though antibiotics have no effect on viruses.

Until people can be educated that popping pills is not an unmitigated good, this will continue.

Public Health needs to also oversee the people who recommend and dispense the pills. Though, it wouldn't make a difference. Doctors/hospitals are in cahoots with pill manufacturers, plus doctors are seen as 'respected members of soceity' who are above reproach.

the amount of pills dispensed willy nilly is disgusting. The vast majority are unnecessary. Some are placebos and some can be harmful (as mentioned above). What most people don't know is; they can deny some of the pills the doctors prescribe. I do it, when I visit Thai hospitals. I take the one or two sets of pills that might help my condition, and decline the 4 or 5 sets of pills which are unnecessary. It never fails to elicit a knowing nod from the lady at the dispensary.

Thais don't read much so how could they understand and self administer? Hearsay! Everything in Thailand is pass along hearsay. Old time remedies and dark ages solutions in many cases. The advent of antibiotics available readily made it a circus. It's a certainty that many Thais are antibiotic resistant having abused them for so long. Thai doctors get compensated based on the amount of drugs sold so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Whenever one member of my family goes to the hospital for a check-up, we usually end up paying for useless medicines that include antibiotics when clearly there is no infection of any sort. The hospital says its a prophylactic - to prevent infection. I say it's criminal and will refuse any antibiotics that are prescribed. I believe they do this used to jack up the bill and get larger commissions from the drug pushers.

I do not know of any Thai that doesn't take pills less than daily.

High Blood pressure is norm for alot, migraines, stomach ailments, gout etc

I think Diabetes will be the next issue, especially with young fat kids.

It is the culture, seeing others taking pills makes them follow,

almost like a competition to see who can take the most.

My Ex in Australia (Thai) used to brag to friends about pills he was getting cheaply

on trips to Thailand. A Thayang Pharmacy was very obliging to him, even suppositories for migraines.

He was most upset when the Australian Immigration took away his sudafed for headaches

but it is a component in illegal drug manufacturing.

Plus the Thais aren't the healthiest of people, look at what they eat.

Old people, as in Western Countries, love attention as they get older and

going to the doctor to have a 'chat' usually ends up them happy to spend their

Social Security money on medication.

Thailand needs a data base for people's medications to see who is using what and how much

but realistically I can't see that happening.

Even Celebrities are killing themslves with medication. eg. Heath Ledger, Whitney Houston

Edited by LindsayBKK

Great collage of Whitney Houston's face.

I'm waiting for the day when Thai authorities start looking in to the Thai habit of putting MSG in nearly all cooked food, whether knowingly or not (it's in all cooking sauces). A significant proportion of pill popping by Thais is probably in response to the crap-head symptoms of MSG ingestion.

Whenever there's a VIP function with foreign dignitaries in Thailand, MSG is not allowed in the food. Authorties in vaulted positions know MSG is harmful - but the heck with the little people - we're just dumb peasants, and will eat whatever makes our rice taste saltier.

One Thai doctor remonstrated with me beause I refused 3 of the 5 medicines that she had prescribed to treat a sinus and pulmonary condition. I asked her to explain the efficacy of all the medicines. Grudgingly she did so. I opined that I wasn't in the least interested in anything to relieve my symptoms. How could I or anybody else know if I was sick or out of sorts if there were no evidence? If all the symptoms were allieviated, what could I tell her about my condition and whether I felt that I was progressing or not? I said that I taken the medicines that would treat the cause of the malady - and no other. Once the cause has been eliminated, the symptoms and discomfort would magically disappear would they not?. Did she not think that masking the symptoms would make an accurate diagnosis more difficult?

Rather than the prescribing of several different medications elevating my opinion of her professional capabilities, it tended to make me think that she was a using a shotgun approach to treat all possible causes rather than pin pointing the problem and just treating that.

In the matters of over prescription for financial and/or personal profit and maybe misguidingly promoting the confidence of patients, I should like to see greater efforts made in proactive medical practice. No Thai hospital that I have used employs the services of a dietician, yet Thailand as with many parts of the World, is experiencing an obesity epidemic. Thai hospitals will not even provide diet sheets and clear explanations regarding the dangers of being overweight. I guess that they do not want to lose all that lovely folding stuff paid for by those that can afford it for heart by-pass operations and lengtht stays in over staffed hospitals whose priorities seem to revolve around installing state of the art televisions sets throughout their buildings and escalators. God forbid getting people to take a little exercise by walking up and down stairs. I once asked a passing nurse where the emergency stairs were and she asked why I would not take the lift. When I said that I hoped that the exercise would make me pant which was good for my lungs and I would at the same time be burning off excess calories, it was fairly obvious that she regarded me as yet another 'ting tong farang'.

I feel that far too many people sub-contract the resposibility for their well being to medical practitioners, some of whom are positive dangers to their patients as indicated to me by one very well qualified and friendly Thai doctor with whom I am excellent terms, rather than realise that their bodies are their own responsibility, and theirs alone, and act accordingly. I consult doctors for advice and counsel and usually follow it. but if I have any misgivings about what I am told or their general attitude towards me, I get a second opinion without telling the second doctor anything about the first. Belt and braces, since complaining about medical services in Thailand may be likened to pi$$ing into the wind.

the above post makes a good distinction re; ailments: root cause vs symptoms.

The average hospital visitor will probably get six packages of pills prescribed. Of those, perhaps one or two may treat the cause of the ailment, whereas the majority of pills are earmarked to deal with the symptoms, and even those are of dubious value. Tylenol aspirin is prescribed for nearly every patient who goes in and out a hospital front door - that adds up to millions of Tylenol pills sold per day in Thailand. The Tylenol company must love their lock on Thai hospitals, and Tylenol is just one of several drug corporations which have a tight grip on what doctors prescribe, and they're all making money in the process.

I'm waiting for the day when Thai authorities start looking in to the Thai habit of putting MSG in nearly all cooked food, whether knowingly or not (it's in all cooking sauces). A significant proportion of pill popping by Thais is probably in response to the crap-head symptoms of MSG ingestion.

Whenever there's a VIP function with foreign dignitaries in Thailand, MSG is not allowed in the food. Authorties in vaulted positions know MSG is harmful - but the heck with the little people - we're just dumb peasants, and will eat whatever makes our rice taste saltier.

"Authorties in vaulted positions know MSG is harmful"

No they don't. The jury is very much still out. MSG occurs naturally in many, many foods. From what you are saying, tomatoes could never be served at a VIP function.

I could agree more - most packet sauce mixes that restaurants use contain MSG mislabeled as "salt"

MSG destroys cells in lab tests and likely does in the body as well!

No point saying Mai Sai Pom Cherr Rot - because they don't know its already in the paste mix or not.

the above post makes a good distinction re; ailments: root cause vs symptoms.

The average hospital visitor will probably get six packages of pills prescribed. Of those, perhaps one or two may treat the cause of the ailment, whereas the majority of pills are earmarked to deal with the symptoms, and even those are of dubious value. Tylenol aspirin is prescribed for nearly every patient who goes in and out a hospital front door - that adds up to millions of Tylenol pills sold per day in Thailand. The Tylenol company must love their lock on Thai hospitals, and Tylenol is just one of several drug corporations which have a tight grip on what doctors prescribe, and they're all making money in the process.

Tylenol contains acetaminophen one of the biggest causes of premature liver failure.

More than 30,000 cases per year of acetaminophen overdose are reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers (Bartlett D 2004). It is a leading cause of liver failure in the Western world and the leading cause of drug-induced liver failure in the United States (Bartlett D 2004).

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/dec2007_report_acetaminophen_01.htm

I cannot believe the way Thais turn to tablets and pills at the first hint of a cough or sneeze..... or as they like to say, fever! I've lived here ten years and (touch wood) have only ever had the need for the occasional Nurofen and that's likely due to not having my immune system constantly compromised by unnecessary medication.

Edited by bigbamboo

Who are these "authorities in vaulted positions" ?

MSG is a food enhancer approved safe for use by Food and Drug authorities world-wide.

After a century of use, there is no scientific evidence that there are any harmful effects of it's usage by the general population.........including "crap-head symptoms"

Sanuk

Edited by sanuk21

I have devised a simple system, I use the British National health system for a full annual health check, blood and urine analysis. I then discuss various medications with my doctor and decide which to use. He prescribes accordingly. In Thailand I buy the same drugs over the counter. I have my own blood sugar and pressure meters and vary my diet and activities according to the readings,

My Thai partner visits a Thai hospital once a month and invariably leaves with 6 different packs of pills. What I find amusing is that usually one of the prescribed drugs is antagonistic to another.

He said antibiotics were the most popular medicines, accounting for about 18 to 20 per cent of sold medicines. "In some cases, the antibiotics are taken unnecessarily. For example, there is no need to use antibiotics for flu caused by virus," he said.

LOL, then stop blaming the people and start f****g educating your medical personnel, pharmacists included. My mother used to work in a drug store in Holland and her education is better than that of most pharmacists here.

Also start up a prescription system in which antibiotics and other serious drugs are no longer freely available. Not only does it cause direct harm to people, it's also a major risk in terms of resistant bacteria. Western countries prescribe fewer antibiotics every year and with good reason. Thai medicine is a joke.

Edited by AgentSmith

I learned how to use energy techniques for my health years ago. If I have a pain somewhere, I use one of the techniques and the pain goes very quickly. I highly recommend that people learn about them, especially sending love energy meditations.

MSG is a food enhancer approved safe for use by Food and Drug authorities world-wide.

Sanuk

So was Vioxx, Avandia, Trasylol & Bextra and they managed to kill about quarter of a million people.

Edited by Chopperboy

I do not know of any Thai that doesn't take pills less than daily.

High Blood pressure is norm for alot, migraines, stomach ailments, gout etc

I think Diabetes will be the next issue, especially with young fat kids.

It is the culture, seeing others taking pills makes them follow,

almost like a competition to see who can take the most.

My Ex in Australia (Thai) used to brag to friends about pills he was getting cheaply

on trips to Thailand. A Thayang Pharmacy was very obliging to him, even suppositories for migraines.

He was most upset when the Australian Immigration took away his sudafed for headaches

but it is a component in illegal drug manufacturing.

Plus the Thais aren't the healthiest of people, look at what they eat.

Old people, as in Western Countries, love attention as they get older and

going to the doctor to have a 'chat' usually ends up them happy to spend their

Social Security money on medication.

Thailand needs a data base for people's medications to see who is using what and how much

but realistically I can't see that happening.

Even Celebrities are killing themslves with medication. eg. Heath Ledger, Whitney Houston

Good post.

I know this is slightly off topic but I want to say it anyway. I have recently been introduced to Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar by a friend who swears by it's healing qualities. He had been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the last 3-4 years and tried everything, with regards to medication, with no affect but now says that he takes daily doses of this natural medicine and has never felt better.

Furthermore, he has recommended it to many others who were suffering from a who range of complaints from Diabetes to Back pain, Arthritis to skin complaints and even gout, and all say they are at least in a lot less pain, if not totally cured. Apparently the high level of Potassium content is the main healing ingredient: "Potassium's main function is to promote cell, tissue and organism growth. It is necessary to replace dead cells and tissue. There is no better source of potassium than vinegar - particularly natural organic apple cider vinegar."

Other illnesses it can cure are: sinus infections, high cholesteral, flu, chronic fatigue, candida, acid reflux, sore throats and people are raving about the curing of chronic skin conditions such as acne, rosacea and even dermatitis.

It is a winner and it's available in Thailand, so no need to get bag-fulls of non-effective pills from anyone thats willing to sell em to you.

For more info: http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

Edited by robia6

divided by

=1.706

pills per person per day

That corresponds to less than 2 Ibuprofen per resident per day. 1.7 tablets

Now figure older people need 2-3 things per day to keep aflictions in check,

and some people are sick on some days and take 2-3 things,

but then stop after a few days

this lowers the total per average person considerably.

Tempest in a teapot.

Now if they had said there is a gross over prescription of Anti-Biotics in Thailand

I'd have agreed 100%.

Edited by animatic

Apple Cider Vinegar by a friend who swears by it's healing qualities. He had been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the last 3-4 years and tried everything, with regards to medication, with no affect but now says that he takes daily doses of this natural medicine and has never felt better.

In the past few years, hard science has begun to prove that the phrase “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” isn’t just a saying—it may be a fact. With its overwhelming load of powerful nutrients, antioxidants, fiber, and phytochemicals in every bite, the simple apple has been rising among nutritionists and scientists alike for its health potency. In addition, the apple peel has been shown to contain triterpenoids, compounds that possess strong anti-cancer activity, especially in preventing breast, colon, and liver cancer. The meat of the apple and the peel work together to help fight off many common debilitating illnesses and health problems.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/jul2011_The-Awesome-Apple_01.htm

For anxiety and panic attacks try CHRYSIN 5g per day, it displaces Flunitrazepam for the benzodiazepine receptors in the brain thus creating a mild anti-anxiety effect, it also blocks testosterone to estrogen conversion that occurs in middle aged men (and can be responsible for anxiety) and it also blocks cold and flue viruses.

Valerian root also is a good one to try (valium was derived from it).

Chinese herbalists have many natural anti-anxiety herbs and mixes.

• Like 1

This is hardly a problem limited to Thai people or 'Thai superstitions'. In the USA, there is pharmacy on just about every corner, it seems like whenever they are building a new store anywhere, it is almost always a Walgreens, CVS, or another large pharmacy chain. They are much more common and easy to find in the USA than in Thailand. Not to mention that Rx are readily given out in all the grocery and large retail stores. Antibiotic abuse is also quite rampant here, where USA doctors also give them out like candy, regardless of need. Not to mention the abuse of antibacterial products. It is only a matter of time before a drug-resistant bacteria emerges and decimates the population worldwide. And just about every person I know here is taking at least 1-3 Rx pills a day. BIg pharma is big business across the globe, manipulating gov't and health officials in all corners of the earth. Welcome to the 21st century, where megacorporations take control of the world as a whole. Just remember what Mitt Romney likes to say, 'Corporations are people, my friend'. Very heinous people, indeed.

After a century of use, there is no scientific evidence that there are any harmful effects of it's usage by the general population.........including "crap-head symptoms"

Sanuk

msg makes food taste much fresher I dont see any thing wrong with eating it i think its very good!