Child's Slide

mobile69

Go out of CM on the Hang Dong Road, on the corner of the first set of traffic lights past the end of the airport runway there is a place facing you on the right. You can't miss it, has lions, tigers, swings and slides outside

These are the Thai made, metal play equipment. There is lots more on the CM-Lampang Superhighway near to Carefour, and in many other places. However it is dangerous when compared with foreign made, plastic slides etc.

There was a magnificent shop beside Nong Hoi flyover, but ir closed a couple of years ago. Anybody have any idea where it went? They sold all kinds of top-quality playground equipment with good padding and secure fixing etc. No sharp or hard edges, unlike the Thai metal equivalent.....

Central at Kad Suan Kaew has some in the toy section, and a catalogue ordering service for many toys, swings, slides, etc. They are quite expensive (8000 up to 15000) and take 7 days to arrive from Bangkok if ordering.

I found one nice plastic slide at Airport Plaza in an ad hoc toy sales area on the top floor a few months ago ... cheaper than Central. My daughter loves it ... and it is safe and won't rust!

Good Luck!

I found one nice plastic slide at Airport Plaza in an ad hoc toy sales area on the top floor a few months ago ... cheaper than Central. My daughter loves it ... and it is safe and won't rust!

Do you still have contact details for the company that supplied the slide. If so, I would be most grateful for them.

Got one today. Same as the one's in Central, but we got it at Robinsons for 2900 baht. They do have the catalogue for order , but the cheaper "carrot" slide in stock. The others are 8000bt up. Also in airport plaza, one of the middle of the floor, open shops has a frog slide for 7600baht, but for the extra 4500 baht or so, you just get more plastic at the top of the steps.

Also found a shop on top floor at airport plaza selling other big toys for kids, including plastic swimming pools, various sizes & various prices - some very big!! 170,000 baht I think the top price was, but a proper sized pool, 53 inches deep. If these figures are a bit inaccurate it's because I wasn't after one, so didn't note the info down.

• 4 months later...

still looking for something like "little tikes" without the prices that comes with it. nothing much in robinson's or centrals. there is one shop that p1p was talking about right after carrefour but those are really dangerous. ie. rust, sharp edges.

anyone?

Have a chat with the people who sel swimming pools on the top floor of Airport Plaza. I think they can help.

will do p1p. but is someone missing a real good business opportunity here? thailand's gotta manufacture some of this good stuff. wish i had the capital .. sigh!

There was a great place doing just this kind of equipment near to the Siri Watana moo bahn, Nong Hoi. They used to regularly display at Central, the old Airport Plaza and shows around the North, but they went bankrupt because the Thais here seem to prefer the cheap, dangerous locally made stuff to equipment that will not damage or even kill their child.

My personal belief is that some of the best playground equipment in the world is made by the Finnish company Lappset. They do have Thai agents, because I once contacted them looking to take on an agency. You can contact the parent company and see their product range on their web site HERE.

Jesus.. :o

Anyway, I think it's always a trade-off. For some kids stuff you'd want the best/safest, but keep in mind that it will be imported and very, very expensive. For other stuff locally produced stuff might be fine.

On the kids front, I failed to find proper child protection covers for electrical outlets.. I found the plastic thingies that you can insert in them alright, but when I was a kid, and this is 35 years ago, we had covers that were stayed on the socket when plugging in a plug. You had to press the plug against the plastic thingy, then rotate the plug 90 degrees, then the holes would show and it could be inserted fully. The grande advantage of this was that when you (or a kid) pulls the cable, the socket cover springs back automatically to cover the holes again. (Not to mention that electrical outlets arent normally placed 20 centimeters above ground level; what a weird thing to do. My list of 'strange farang'-requests for woever will be the sorry person to end up designing/constructing my house just keeps getting longer and longer. :D

Anyway, ok, I didn't do the greatest job explaining that but what it comes down to was that the holes were always covered, no matter what. And I couldn't find anything like that here, also not Central Chidlom in Bangers, who have a whole lot of kids stuff.

Cheers,

Chanchao

On the kids front, I failed to find proper child protection covers for electrical outlets.. I found the plastic thingies that you can insert in them alright, but when I was a kid, and this is 35 years ago, we had covers that were stayed on the socket when plugging in a plug. You had to press the plug against the plastic thingy, then rotate the plug 90 degrees, then the holes would show and it could be inserted fully. The grande advantage of this was that when you (or a kid) pulls the cable, the socket cover springs back automatically to cover the holes again. (Not to mention that electrical outlets arent normally placed 20 centimeters above ground level; what a weird thing to do. My list of 'strange farang'-requests for woever will be the sorry person to end up designing/constructing my house just keeps getting longer and longer. :o

Anyway, ok, I didn't do the greatest job explaining that but what it comes down to was that the holes were always covered, no matter what. And I couldn't find anything like that here, also not Central Chidlom in Bangers, who have a whole lot of kids stuff.

Sounds like a great idea, maybe all plugs should be made that way anyway, although I've never seen any thing like that here or in the UK. Must be a continental Europe thing.