Do Not Upgrade I Devices To 5.1

Gone

It is official that now iTunes you cannot up-date any of your apps without upgrading your iPhone etc. to os 5.1

Masny of your jailbroken cydia apps will also automatically update your device when you up-date an app.

The pros such as biggboss repo etc. are warning us to: DO NOT UPGRADE TO OS 5.1 !!!!!!!!!

If you have a jailbroken idevice you will lose your "cydia" and "Installous" too and will lose all of your tweaks and apps.

They reccommend to wait until there is an official unteathered jailbreak for os 5.1

BE WARNED !!!!!!!!!

Fine. If you know so much then by all means update to 5.1

wpcoe: Jailbreaking is not ilegal. It only voids your warranty. Why would anyone NOT jailbreak and customize their phone? You would pay 27,000 baht for a phone you can only call and answer with? Have you seen a doctor about your problem?

I have been jailbroken for a year now and have over $5000.00 worth of free apps and tweaks including TomTom for 6 different countries.

When apple's iTunes dominates our freedome and wants us to pay money for the stupidest things why would I?

Berek: Yes it has however have you ever seen iTunes update your idevice and then you lose your cydia, installOus along with all your apps and tweaks before? This JUST came out fyi as only yesterday for the first time in my life of owning idevices did my "settings" show an update and asked me to update to 5.1

Anyways I hope we don't see you guys on this forum posting for help with anything in the future because guess what, people don't like to help sarcastic folks.

My post was to warn people because I was just lucky that I Googled the update before downloading it. If you don't have anything positive to post then why even bother posting?

• Like 1

I have been jailbroken for a year now and have over $5000.00 worth of free apps and tweaks including TomTom for 6 different countries.

is that legal? smile.png

If you want to use free apps, you don't have to jailbreak your phone. You are using illegal copies of commercial programs. You are a thief!Do not get caught!

It's great fun watching how openly here will be discussed about illegal activities.

• Like 1

I lost count somewhere in your second post of how many times one can be wrong!

Technical inaccuracies aside; firstly, you assume that everyone jailbreaks their phones, so omit a lot of qualifying information in your topic title. Then you assume that everyone who jailbreaks their phones does it to install illegally obtained apps. You go on to claim, that those who don't jailbreak their phones and instal illegally obtained apps can only make phone calls... Do you realise how ignorant this makes you sound?

Berek: Yes it has however have you ever seen iTunes update your idevice and then you lose your cydia, installOus along with all your apps and tweaks before? This JUST came out fyi as only yesterday for the first time in my life of owning idevices did my "settings" show an update and asked me to update to 5.1

Updating any version of iOS with any version of iTunes has always removed the jailbreak, Cydia, all your tweaks, and all your jailbroken apps. Nothing has changed here.

The reason this is the first time in your life of owning iDevices that your "settings" showed an update and asked you to update to 5.1, is that OTA (Over the Air) iOS updates were only introduced in iOS 5.

Anyways I hope we don't see you guys on this forum posting for help with anything in the future because guess what, people don't like to help sarcastic folks.

My post was to warn people because I was just lucky that I Googled the update before downloading it. If you don't have anything positive to post then why even bother posting?

Actually, most of the posts you refer to were more helpful that yours. You need to remember that not everyone jailbreaks their phones, so starting a thread with a title such as this one - without specifying that it only pertains to a jailbroken device - can do more harm that good, even if it is done with the best intentions. Upon upgrading your device, you will NOT "lose everything" - you will lose your jailbreak (and associated tweaks and apps); nothing more, nothing less.

Basically, the situation with jailbroken devices is the same as it has always been: do not upgrade you iOS until an untethered jailbreak is released, especially if you're relying on a software unlock; but ALL jail breakers should know this.

BTW, you can still update your apps on a non-jailbroken 4S running 5.0.1 without using iTunes; you are not forced to update to iOS 5.1.

• Like 1

Technical inaccuracies aside; firstly, you assume that everyone jailbreaks their phones, so omit a lot of qualifying information in your topic title. Then you assume that everyone who jailbreaks their phones does it to install illegally obtained apps. You go on to claim, that those who don't jailbreak their phones and instal illegally obtained apps can only make phone calls... Do you realise how ignorant this makes you sound?

Updating any version of iOS with any version of iTunes has always removed the jailbreak, Cydia, all your tweaks, and all your jailbroken apps. Nothing has changed here.

The reason this is the first time in your life of owning iDevices that your "settings" showed an update and asked you to update to 5.1, is that OTA (Over the Air) iOS updates were only introduced in iOS 5.

Actually, most of the posts you refer to were more helpful that yours. You need to remember that not everyone jailbreaks their phones, so starting a thread with a title such as this one - without specifying that it only pertains to a jailbroken device - can do more harm that good, even if it is done with the best intentions. Upon upgrading your device, you will NOT "lose everything" - you will lose your jailbreak (and associated tweaks and apps); nothing more, nothing less.

Basically, the situation with jailbroken devices is the same as it has always been: do not upgrade you iOS until an untethered jailbreak is released, especially if you're relying on a software unlock; but ALL jail breakers should know this.

BTW, you can still update your apps on a non-jailbroken 4S running 5.0.1 without using iTunes; you are not forced to update to iOS 5.1.

So if my post was of no interest to you then why did you even bother replying?

I'm sure that many people who ARE jailbroken and were wondering the same thing are thankful to my post the same I was when I Googled it first. Why would you assume that everyone already knows everything the same way you think you do?

If posts are not useful to you just move on to the next post instead of replying with typicaly sarcastic answers looking for a fight. Better to say nothing at all then to say something bad right? Unless you are a troll.

So if my post was of no interest to you then why did you even bother replying?

To be helpful to the people that were most definitely mislead by any of your many inaccuracies.

I'm sure that many people who ARE jailbroken and were wondering the same thing are thankful to my post the same I was when I Googled it first. Why would you assume that everyone already knows everything the same way you think you do?

If posts are not useful to you just move on to the next post instead of replying with typicaly sarcastic answers looking for a fight. Better to say nothing at all then to say something bad right? Unless you are a troll.

Not looking for a fight at all, although I do acknowledge that pointing out someone's mistakes usually leads to one. Again, I was simply pointing out that you made certain errors in your postings in order for people to not be unnecessarily alarmed or inconvenienced.

Someone jail breaks their phone then rings the alarm about udating the iOS? blink.png

wpcoe: Jailbreaking is not ilegal. It only voids your warranty. Why would anyone NOT jailbreak and customize their phone? You would pay 27,000 baht for a phone you can only call and answer with? Have you seen a doctor about your problem?

I never said it was illegal. I was chuckling at the fact that someone as well-informed as you seem to think you are didn't know that a jail break would not survive an iOS update.

Goodness, you certainly seem to be emotionally invested in this topic!

Now, about what problem am I supposed to consult a doctor? rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't post this in the Apple forum but will post the question here.

Why would anyone buy a phone that doesn't work as they want it to work right out of the box. Unlock, jailbreak, what a bunch of hooey.

$5,000 worth of add on applications that will be lost by updating the operating system??????? How smart is that?

Why would anyone buy a phone that doesn't work as they want it to work right out of the box. Unlock, jailbreak, what a bunch of hooey.

$5,000 worth of add on applications that will be lost by updating the operating system??????? How smart is that?

Some people like to tinker and tweak, others like to install illegally obtained software. In fact, it is estimated that up to 40% of iPhones are jailbroken. This is not just an iPhone phenomenon, I know plenty of Android phone users whip tinker and tweak just as much! Then there are others who can and do use it straight out of the box.

And, for the record, the $5000 quoted figure was the value of the apps, not what he paid to illegally obtain them. Oh, and there is a jailbroken app that backs up your jailbroken apps so you can put them back on after a OS upgrade - so, again, you don't lose everything...

Fine. If you know so much then by all means update to 5.1

When apple's iTunes dominates our freedome and wants us to pay money for the stupidest things why would I?

Technically it dosent void ya warranty as when restored with stock firmware there is nothing left from the exploit. I ran 5.1 the other day just to check it out had no issues with any of my cydia apps at all. With semi tether it's ok as ya would know doubt know. I rolled mine back for the simple fact that 5.1 has nothing new and or improved ha ha What apps did u have dramas with mate??

is that legal?

exactly, and isn't this the same twit with previous posts regarding following the letter of all laws...LOL

I have to agree with jamesbrock, about your topic title. It should have read jailbroken devices. And it is something most of us who use the devices would or should have know. I have an iPod Touch and an iPad. I haven't bothered to jailbreak them as I have over 350 free apps I use between the two devices and there have been tons of updates lately. I just download 73.

You would pay 27,000 baht for a phone you can only call and answer with? Have you seen a doctor about your problem?

You would pay 27,000 baht for a phone and then begrudge a few dollars to developers for applications they have worked hard to develop? Have you seen a doctor about your problem?

You don't have $5,000 of free apps, you have $5,000 of stolen software. Hardly something to brag about.

• Like 2

Indeed why would they?

Of the 100M people or so who've bought iPhones, I think the vast majority is pretty happy about what it can do right out of the box. They've never thought about jailbreaking.

I've read there's over 1M jailbroken devices but I am convinced that most of those are sold in the grey market to people who have no idea what jail breaking is, or that their phone is jailbroken and unlocked.

First of all he said it's "$5000 worth of free apps" - which makes no sense. Second, I think he meant if he'd bought all those apps instead of stealing them via Installous, they'd be worth that much.

Kudos. I've never stolen an app and don't plan to, with the average app going for $3 it seems kind of weird one would want to.

Indeed why would they?

Of the 100M people or so who've bought iPhones, I think the vast majority is pretty happy about what it can do right out of the box. They've never thought about jailbreaking.

I've read there's over 1M jailbroken devices but I am convinced that most of those are sold in the grey market to people who have no idea what jail breaking is, or that their phone is jailbroken and unlocked.

First of all he said it's "$5000 worth of free apps" - which makes no sense. Second, I think he meant if he'd bought all those apps instead of stealing them via Installous, they'd be worth that much.

Kudos. I've never stolen an app and don't plan to, with the average app going for $3 it seems kind of weird one would want to.

I think a few have totally missed the point on true people in the jailbreaking community. Has nothing to do with getting free app's!! Is about allowing everyone to get all the benefits of there idevice not the limited one apple sells to the public. The supreme court ruled jailbreaking is not against the law dosent void your warranty or any of the things most uneducated people say. Don't judge the whole community the same as the people who state they have $5000 worth of free apps!!! ;)

I think there's also an argument that here in the 3rd world, there should be a 'cheaper' alternative. Afterall, letting piracy run rampant did help windows et al gain so much dominance.

I agree. Having paid more than 20,000 baht for the phone, being expected to pay an average of about 50 baht for an application is completely unreasonable.....

I think there's also an argument that here in the 3rd world, there should be a 'cheaper' alternative. Afterall, letting piracy run rampant did help windows et al gain so much dominance.

I agree. Having paid more than 20,000 baht for the phone, being expected to pay an average of about 50 baht for an application is completely unreasonable.....

So before buying you never knew that you had to buy the apps or not ?

It's like saying I brought a blue ray DVD player but refuse to buy the discs because they are so expensive.

So before buying you never knew that you had to buy the apps or not ?

It's like saying I brought a blue ray DVD player but refuse to buy the discs because they are so expensive.

What country you living in??

LOL, of course... but thats the point, these people pay 2 months salary for a phone ... of course they're gonna look for cheap app's ... especially when thats the culture they've been brought up in.

Nahh... you geeks keep forgetting that the average Joe is buying the vast majority of iPhones. I've met lots of iOS users here in Thailand who:

- Didn't know that they had a jailbroken phone

- Didn't know what a Jailbreak is or that there are jailbroken phones (they just went to the nearest mobile shop and got a phone...)

- Had never heard of iTunes

- Got their apps in a bundle deal included when they bought the phone. The deal is you get all the apps you want for "free" but have to pay 2,000 baht or something like that one-time fee. Any time you want an app you need to go back to the shop and have them install it for you. But - they didn't know that this is not the official way to get apps!

Now with less and less reason to jailbreak - unlocked phones sold in all countries in the world - this is probably slowly going to go away.

Unrelated but I also think this is one of the reasons Apple did iCloud - because they know the percentage of iPhones that never connect to iTunes, and I think it's way larger than they expected.

Now with less and less reason to jailbreak - unlocked phones sold in all countries in the world - this is probably slowly going to go away.

I would've thought the same, but here's a quick breakdown of how many A5 owners jailbroke their devices in the first three days after the release of the untethered corona jailbreak for A5 devices:

491,325 new iPhone4,1 devices

308,967 new iPad2 devices

152,940 previously jailbroken (at 4.x) iPad2 devices

Total: 953,232 new A5 jailbreaks in a little over 3 days, and this was when there was still no software based carrier unlock available!

The reason these numbers can be so precise is that one of the housekeeping activities that happens when you launch Cydia is a query to @saurik’s server for the list of available SHSH blobs. (Even if you have none on file, the query is still made).

Doesn't look like it's going away!