I Am Phuket Concert

khall64au

Apparently, there is a major 3-day music concert - I AM PHUKET- to be held on Phuket in late January. I stumbled upon this article by pure accident while doing some research on the net. Not a word has emerged in local media and nobody I know has any inkling of this event. But here are the details:

“We are in the process of organizing I AM Phuket (International Arts & Music in Phuket) which is scheduled to take place at Patong Beach, Phuket on 27/28th of January 2006,” says Patterson. “The aim of this free event is to show the rest of the world that Phuket - especially Patong - is safe, still beautiful and ready to welcome back both national and international visitors.”

Organisers are currently working to confirm artists and secure financial support for the event. Contrary to the rumours, the artists, possibly including homegrown talent Tata Young and Bird, will not be playing free, but they will do the event at extremely reduced rates in order to work with the project, says Patterson.

Patterson is confident I AM Phuket will bring some positive publicity to the area. “We know that this event would be a turning point for Phuket as an International Venue, and could pave the way for future International touring Artists,” he says, adding that “MTV Thailand (VH1) and Virgin Radio Thailand will support the event with publicity and maybe even record the event for broadcast.”

The event will take place with acts performing on one main stage over 3 days/2 nights. There will also be a VIP area located at Impiana Phuket Cabana on Patong Beach.

I AM Phuket is still looking for financial support, including from Thailand’s real estate sector, and organizers ask that interested sponsors please contact them through their website at http://www.iam-iam.com.

Strange how these events are planned with no advance publicity and just a month to go. Let's put Phuket on the map! :o

Phuket needs more world class venues to host international-scale events, starting with decent set of professional audio system if they want to bring in Frankie Knuckles!

Those cheap, old, and worn out speakers used in open festivals sooo hurt my ears if you try to get close to the stage.