About The 6-mionth Validity Of Passports.

Its not just for Thailand, but many countries want your passport to have some more monthes valdity, like 3 or 6 month, AFTER youve even left the country in your intended visit. In my case (all our pasports are now non-extendable) it means that the actual period I can use it is just 4y6m.

I just wonder WHY they impose this; I can understand that by reason of efficiency they dont want expired passports on your 30-day permit, even if you stay for just a few days and can prove that with tickets/bookings. Is it just because ''anyone does it''? Is it a leftover from the time of only boats, when the trip to Europe/USA would indeed take a few monthes?

I believe the reason would be so that you have a valid passport during your stay and in case of unforeseen extension it remains valid.

In many cases, including Thailand, this is not a requirement but only a recommendation. It is to make it easier for the traveler as the last thing you would want to worry about in the case of hospitalization is going to your embassy, apply for new passport, transfer visa etc. And don't forget in many cases it may not be that easy for a visitor from/to a small country to obtain a new passport when there is no diplomatic facility available.

I believe the reason would be so that you have a valid passport during your stay and in case of unforeseen extension it remains valid.

OK, thats what I thought, but then why 6 momth? even for ''normal tourists'' with the 30-day stamps? In fact from my part of Eruope, where they never do those silly ticketout checks, THIS thing is taken seriously, even though I know/read here that Thai immigr,. is just as lax on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Carrying a U.S. passport, I had no problem getting into thailand with on-arrival visa; my passport was valid for another 2months. I made many phone calls when I discovered this prior to my last trip. The immigration official even went on to tell me that I can have my passport validfor 15 days and they will allow me to enter the country with on-arrival visa for 15 days. I assume you'd need to have the outbound ticket to show that you'd be leaving at so and so date.

As for all other visas that you must get from the consulates, this 6 months rule most likely would apply. I think it as to do with the fact that thye grant tourist visas and give you up to six months to enter the country.

So to sum up.

On-arrival 30 days tourist visa (U.S. passport)- no 6 months requirement.

All other visa - 6 months requirement

Carrying a U.S. passport, I had no problem getting into thailand with on-arrival visa; my passport was valid for another 2months. I made many phone calls when I discovered this prior to my last trip. The immigration official even went on to tell me that I can have my passport validfor 15 days and they will allow me to enter the country with on-arrival visa for 15 days. I assume you'd need to have the outbound ticket to show that you'd be leaving at so and so date.

As for all other visas that you must get from the consulates, this 6 months rule most likely would apply. I think it as to do with the fact that thye grant tourist visas and give you up to six months to enter the country.

So to sum up.

On-arrival 30 days tourist visa (U.S. passport)- no 6 months requirement.

All other visa - 6 months requirement

You cannot always be certain of this. Many are denied entry.