Elephant Butchered In Krabi

webfact

Phuket Gazette: Elephant butchered in Krabi

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12604pOCZbROsfqwulyNiRiqVKyUVCC.jpg

Officials inspect the elephant carcass, which was partially decapitated. Photo: Warisa Temram

PHUKET: -- Livestock officials in Krabi are investigating the death of a male elephant found partially decapitated on a remote hilltop rubber plantation in Khao Khraam District yesterday afternoon, the Phuket Gazette has learned.

The discovery of the carcass was reported to the Gazette by Khao Khram tambon chief Karim Laklaeng at about 2pm yesterday.

[Reader discretion advised. Some readers may find the images of the carcass disturbing. To view, click here and here.]

It took a difficult ride in a four-wheel drive vehicle followed by a long hike through a rubber plantation to reach the carcass, which was partially dismembered.

The front of the head had been severed, evidently to remove the animal’s tusks.

Officials estimated that the elephant was about 40 years old. Based on the state of decomposition it probably died before dawn the same day, members of the group estimated.

The tip of its tail was also severed and there were deep wounds to the feet of its hind legs.

Among the party that made the initial examination of the carcass was Yamaad Wanramaan, assistant to the headman of village 5.

Mr Yamaad said he was notified of the carcass by rubber tappers working in the area. He feared the rotting carcass could contaminate the local water supply because the hilltop area is a water source for both Khao Khram and Khlong Hin subdistricts.

From initial questioning of local residents, Mr Yamaad said the elephant was probably used to drag logs over the hilly terrain. Deep wounds to its hind feet were probably the result of being struck by a totthi, a hook used my mahouts to control work elephants.

The elephant may have been worked to death by its owner and mahout, who then decided to remove a tusk to sell on the black market, he said.

Local residents said the animal only had one tusk, which was about a meter long, Mr Yamaat said.

The elephant’s owner and mahout had probably already left the area with the tusk, he added.

Wiboon Lerdwattnasombut, chief of the Krabi Livestock Office, told the Gazette that his office had to examine the carcass further to determine the exact cause of death.

After the examination is complete the carcass would be buried at the site, he said.

His officers also had to determine if the elephant had proper identification papers filed with his office.

If the Livestock Office is able to determine the identity of the animal and its owner, it would report the incident to the relevant authorities, he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12604.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-16

Owner confesses to working elephant to death, mutilating carcass

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-12619OuurwmNNTgKuJJtKlghoeWLPUH.jpg

Seri Srisuj (center) confessed that his elephant 'Plai Boonam' died from exhaustion and that he had cut off the elephant's remaining tusk. Photo: Warisa Temram

PHUKET: The owner of the elephant found mutilated in Krabi on Thursday has confessed to working the animal to death.

Local villagers had discovered the gruesome remains, now identified as that of 49-year-old elephant Plai Boonam. The front of the head had been hacked off and the elephant’s tusk was missing.

In response, Krabi Muang District Chief Yutisak Akeakkara and Wiboon Lerdwattnasombut, chief of the Krabi Livestock Office, launched an investigation into the cause of death of the pachyderm.

The owner was found to be 57-year-old Seri Srisuk, who told the officials that Plai Boonan had died from exhaustion.

“It was hot and he worked hard for many days,” said Mr Seri, whose name literally translates as “Freedom”.

“I removed the tusk and I will make sure the body is buried so it does not disturb the villagers,” he also said.

Local villagers had previously reported that the elephant had only one tusk before it died.

Mr Wiboon said that as Plai Boonam was legally owned, there was nothing else his office could do.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12619.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-18

footer_n.gif

Seri Srisuj if you believe in the afterlife (glap chat ma kert) I hope that what ever you come back as, your owner will work you to death and then decapitate you after you are dead....I hope Karma comes back at you for this one...a story like this makes me wonder about human beings like you...

• Like 1

Seri Srisuj if you believe in the afterlife (glap chat ma kert) I hope that what ever you come back as, your owner will work you to death and then decapitate you after you are dead....I hope Karma comes back at you for this one...a story like this makes me wonder about human beings like you...

Mr Wiboon said that as Plai Boonam was legally owned, there was nothing else his office could do.

But they can raid honest ansd well caring sanctuaries like WFFT and ENP //// who ALSO OWN the animals //// Again what os wrong in this pic....?? Oh, right ... forgot Mr Damwrong Nauseating Predator is having a tough time working his butt off playing golg in Cambodia at Siem Reap in a wonderful resort with Mr. Tacky .... Sorry but yeah too busy so just let it be since he has A paper /// and <deleted> the elephant is already dead so what's the point .... Way to Go Damrong !!!!!!

Owner confesses to working elephant to death, mutilating carcass

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-12619OuurwmNNTgKuJJtKlghoeWLPUH.jpg

Seri Srisuj (center) confessed that his elephant 'Plai Boonam' died from exhaustion and that he had cut off the elephant's remaining tusk. Photo: Warisa Temram

PHUKET: The owner of the elephant found mutilated in Krabi on Thursday has confessed to working the animal to death.

Local villagers had discovered the gruesome remains, now identified as that of 49-year-old elephant Plai Boonam. The front of the head had been hacked off and the elephant’s tusk was missing.

In response, Krabi Muang District Chief Yutisak Akeakkara and Wiboon Lerdwattnasombut, chief of the Krabi Livestock Office, launched an investigation into the cause of death of the pachyderm.

The owner was found to be 57-year-old Seri Srisuk, who told the officials that Plai Boonan had died from exhaustion.

“It was hot and he worked hard for many days,” said Mr Seri, whose name literally translates as “Freedom”.

“I removed the tusk and I will make sure the body is buried so it does not disturb the villagers,” he also said.

Local villagers had previously reported that the elephant had only one tusk before it died.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12619.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-18

footer_n.gif

Who the hell is this Mr Wiboon who said that as Plai Boonam was legally owned, there was nothing else his office could do. Jeeezzz/// what do u mean THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO .... ARREST THE BASTARD AND PUT HIM IN JAIL !!!! WHEN>....???? WHEN ???? will there be laws here to protect cruelty to animals ????

• Like 1