Window Film

I think I’m going to get 3M Crystalline on a four door pickup and I have a few questions.

I have a quote for 19K and another for 15K, does this seem like a fair price?

I am going by one of the shops tomorrow to check their work, but I don’t know anything about installing window film, is there anything in particular I should look at or look for?

Is counterfeit film an issue, and if so, how can I tell I’m getting the actual product?

Are darkness numbers about the same as other brands? For example, I currently have Lamina (I think) 40 on the sides and 60 on the windshield. Will 40 & 60 in the Crystalline be as dark?

Thanks

Both quotes sound reasonable, it depends on the specific grade of 3M Crystalline you want to use. You can look on 3M's Thai website here for a quote, just enter your vehicle and desired film grade. I don't know which pickup you have but for a four-door Hilux prices start at 14k, for example.

Fake film is an issue in Thailand, you should check directly with 3M for authorised dealers, simple printing machines can be illegally used on cheap, generic films; V-Kool has an International Authentication System to prevent fraud, for instance.

Regarding the 'darkness', don't compare 3M Crystalline with Lamina; Crystalline is multi-layered and spectrally-selective (like V-Kool) so can be clearer yet reject more heat than darker, inferior films.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long, but thanks for the response.

We got a few shop names from 3M ended up going with “Variety Car” (close to Seacon Square) as they were about the cheapest and certainly the most convenient. Swung by the week before to do a little recon and the shop and staff all looked good. They apply the film in a clean, glassed in, climate-controlled area. They also have a nice clean restroom and a comfortable waiting room.

Went with Crystalline C70 on the windshield and the C40 on doors and back. The film came in new boxed rolls, and the total cost was $15K. They’ll do the canopy for another $4K once I can decide on what I want and have it installed.

It took a couple hours to finish the work and they made me wait another half hour (due to the weather) after it was done before I could leave. Can’t roll the windows down or take the tissue out for a week, but so far it looks great. I’m something of a skeptic, but I believe there is a much noticeable heat-transfer difference between this and the much darker Lamina film I had on the old unit. I’ll be a much better judge after I’ve had it a while, but so far, so good!

Both quotes sound reasonable, it depends on the specific grade of 3M Crystalline you want to use. You can look on 3M's Thai website here for a quote, just enter your vehicle and desired film grade. I don't know which pickup you have but for a four-door Hilux prices start at 14k, for example.

Fake film is an issue in Thailand, you should check directly with 3M for authorised dealers, simple printing machines can be illegally used on cheap, generic films; V-Kool has an International Authentication System to prevent fraud, for instance.

Regarding the 'darkness', don't compare 3M Crystalline with Lamina; Crystalline is multi-layered and spectrally-selective (like V-Kool) so can be clearer yet reject more heat than darker, inferior films.

V-Kool is what they put on my new Toyota, and it looks great!