2 Tourists Found Dead At Pa-ngan Beach

Jai Dee

FOREIGN TOURISTS HAVE BEEN FOUND DEAD AT PA-NGAN BEACH IN SURATTANI

Foreign tourists have been found dead at PHA_NGAN (พงัน) beach in SURAT THANI yesterday.

Five female and one male foreign tourists, who were residing in KOH PHA_NGAN (เกาะพงัน) island off SURAT THANI coast, reportedly went to play in the sea while the waves were about 3-4 meters high. The waves swept away all six tourists back to the sea.

Rescue officers searched the area and were able to help 4 tourists. However, two of the tourists were found dead. Both of the victims came from Sweden. Two from England and Canada found injured were transferred to the hospital, while the rest were safe.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 December 2005

So why do people do things like that?

I am a first class swimmer and free diver and when I see see waves like they are now I stay way clear.

Many people are just left out of their own nature from this modern world I guess.

Lets all wake up before its too late!

Because most people don't live near the sea and don't have any idea what is safe and what is dangerous.

A red flag makes no difference because alot of people don't notice it, don't understand what it means or think it won't happen to them.

For someone who's either surfed, been a diver, fisherman, etc, its drilled into your head how to spot rips and escape from them. I doubt two Swedes would have been taught that at home. Frolicking in the surf is what they see everyone doing in the travel ads and movies so I can see where they might underestimate the dangers. Not stupid people, just inexperienced, uninformed, and unfortunately, dead :o

cv

I have little sympathy for -

those who try to visit space or the moon .

those who try to explore the poles of the earth.

those who try to climb mt everest......

and get themselves killed

They should all have stayed at home and read books! But whose books are they going to read? :o

And didn't the governments warn them? :D