TAT Expects A Not-So-Exciting Songkran In 2012

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Songkran in the 'tourist traps' -- too many drunk farang over-indulging and using water cannons to blast everyone they can target through their drunken stupor.

Songkran up-country is generally are calmer quainter affair revolving around Thai culture - the problem is that the roads are death traps so not easy to get there in one piece.

Guess I'll rent some family movies prder some pizza and beer and stay home.

it's the same where I live. Drunken tourists take Songkran to the nth degree. even sitting in a sidewalk cafe in a tourist area, some drunk will throw water on you and your breakfast.

Last year, I had surgery on my leg and could not get the bandage wet. I would simply point to my large bandage if I saw someone approaching with water and they would smile and walk away. I had plastic wrap taped over it, just in case, but, the local Thai's were respectful.

• Like 1

I wonder how all the additional visitors that are gradually replacing farangs, viz. Arabs and peoples from the sub continent, will view Songkran.

But they are still 'farangs'

Apparently not so. Farangs are usually defined as Caucasians. Some say the word derives from farangset (France,Frank) or farangi from Persian. It refers to people with white skin .

I understand Thais refer to people from the sub-continent as Kaek or kaek khao

Anyway if you want to see how Arabs react to Songkran watersports, go down to Little Arabia around soi 3 to 5 Sukumvit and start spraying water on the Burqua Babes. that'll get a reaction.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 2

Two years ago, i decided to do an experiment here in Naklua during Songkran. My goal was to hang out at my condo and the next door Long Beach Hotel., go only to nearby restaurants and bars and to see if I could stay dry until the very last day of Songkran, then go out, get totally wasted and wet but only on the last day. I made it until two days before the last day. A friend of mine and I went up an alley that's between my condo and Long Beach to get to the Family Mart for a pack of cigarettes. We only had about forty meters of potential exposure to out of control holiday makers. While walking into the Family Mart we noticed a pickup truck had parked right in front of it and people in the truck were squirting everyone they could see walking into the Family Mart and the ATM machine just outside. We actually got through that gauntet but when we got inside the Family Mart and were standing at the cashier's counter several Thais came in and completely drenched us. That did it. I made a vow from then on. And that is during the entire week of Songkran here in Pattaya I'll be gone. It doesn't matter where as long as I do not contributed one baht to the local economy. This is my protest, not that it's going to change things here one iota. So last year I went to Krabi and divided my time between a remote beach on Phi PHi Don and at Ao Nang Beach. Didn't have one person try to get me wet. This year it's going to be somewhere else. Right now I'm thinking, Hong Kong.

Thank you for this fascinating insight into the life of a farang in Thailand.

• Like 1

I am wondering what the travel industry has to do with Songkran. Sure, Songkran is an economically stimulating holiday, but is that the reason they have it?

I wonder how many children's tablet PCs will be ruined during Songkran.

my guess is, more farangs will have their ruined because some other farang will dunk water on it and think it's funny.

I wonder how all the additional visitors that are gradually replacing farangs, viz. Arabs and peoples from the sub continent, will view Songkran.

Apparently not so. Farangs are usually defined as Caucasians. Some say the word derives from farangset (France,Frank) or farangi from Persian. It refers to people with white skin .

Anyway if you want to see how Arabs react to Songkran watersports, go down to Little Arabia around soi 3 to 5 Sukumvit and start spraying water on the Burqua Babes. that'll get a reaction.

good post and essentially correct.

WHAT !!!!......TAT actually actually suggesting everything is not rosey in Thailand, from a tourism point of view must be a first for sure

And another first....they havent published any BS statisic's along with the article only saying they are "hopeful"

That's Amazing, in fact it's a bloody Miracle.

Amazing it maybe ...but they are still expecting an increase in numbers of 2%. Even when its raining it still sunny. Aw well at least those poor over worked immigration officials can breath a sigh of relief now.

True they give give those 70 female riot police the week off to enter the wet "T" shirt competitions.

• Like 1

Slightly OT, but if you ask a young Thai if an Indian is Farang, they will tell you "he is Indian", or they will tell you "that man is African" - only people with white skin people generally are considered Farangs by most, no matter what the official definition is. I know what the books say, but they do not necessarily meet the mindset of most of the populous. I guess, there is an academic definition and a sociocultural definition.

I went to Chiang Mai with my partner a few years ago, she was very sick after catching a bug in drinking water in Lopburi (she drunk from the tap). We had managed to get through the Ring Road safely, as we were both very well dressed and so clearly not up for "sanuk". I have managed to get through Khao San in the same dress without getting wet, good people do exist.

Then, as we walked towards Wat Phra Singh, a carload of Thais with buckets of ice cold water (it actually had ice in it) came towards us laughing. I shouted "mai au khraab, phu ying mai sabai, she is sick", they just laughed and poured water all over her anyway, stopping to empty all of their buckets on us..

I stopped going to Khao San road after getting burning skin and stinging eyes from people putting boxing linniment inside the wet dust, making my day a misery. I make a point to avoid Songkran now, it is abused, rather than used for what it is meant to be (a day of fun, cultural binding, and a reminder of how close we can be if we just try).

It's (for me) my all time FAVORITE holiday of all holidays........I love it!!!!!!!!

Guess I've been here too long. Now I cannot stand Songkran. Ten years ago, I used to go to Sanam Luang and enjoy the day. Now, I just hunker down in the bunker for 3 days.

As for Pattaya, it's the out of control tourists that ruin it. They seem to think they have carte blanche to do whatever they want. Plus Songkran lasts longer in Pattaya than Bangkok.

Certainly time for the Thai authorities to rein in the festivities. Maybe designate 'wet' areas, but ensure everywhere not designated 'wet' is kept dry.

Edited by WhizBang

WHAT !!!!......TAT actually actually suggesting everything is not rosey in Thailand, from a tourism point of view must be a first for sure

And another first....they havent published any BS statisic's along with the article only saying they are "hopeful"

They did.

"Still, the TAT’s Deputy Governor is hopeful that at least the number of travelers during the Thai New Year holidays will rise from last year’s records by approximately 2%."

TAT  HaHa  one minute they say it's booming next minute they spend millions on a new slogan-then Asians are coming in droves-then 75% off shopping-then otop-then culture- time they got rid of most of the highly paid deadwood management and faced reality---get real TAT and ALL airport and resort scams to end at MIDNIGHT tonight.

Word is also out that songkran ain't fun no more.Just a load of loutish behaviour that appeals to amindless few.

Tat oughta rein it in before it destroys April's tourist trade.

Agreed. It's completely out of control. 1 day at most with respect shown for people who don't want to get wet would help the Thai image.

Boom! boom!

• Like 1

Boom! boom!

most likely not....proberly someone will try to behead you

Word is also out that songkran ain't fun no more.Just a load of loutish behaviour that appeals to amindless few.

Just reading the posters comments indicates they don't have a clue what Songkran is really about. Many are disrespectful of Thai culture. Try staying home and getting drunk in your own cities.

• Like 1

Just reading the posters comments indicates they don't have a clue what Songkran is really about. Many are disrespectful of Thai culture. Try staying home and getting drunk in your own cities.

ah...enter the "Thaier than Thai"....stage left...Suspect half the Thai nation havent got a clue either the way they carry on

The last few Songkrans in Chiang Mai have been pale imitations of the old days - not so many revellers -but you still have no choice about getting wet. I am not a Songkran Grinch, but am pretty bored of it after 20 years, so do not mind that .it is not nearly as wild as when I first got here.

Edited by Ulysses G.

arresting people for drinking on songkran in public doesn't help things...

One hopes the boobie police are not out this year.....really lifts the spirits when there are some bare breasted females running about on Songkran....all sweaty and wet

the boobie police need to chill...no doubt.

Topless women would also be arrested in countries such as USA and UK.

Two years ago, i decided to do an experiment here in Naklua during Songkran. My goal was to hang out at my condo and the next door Long Beach Hotel., go only to nearby restaurants and bars and to see if I could stay dry until the very last day of Songkran, then go out, get totally wasted and wet but only on the last day. I made it until two days before the last day. A friend of mine and I went up an alley that's between my condo and Long Beach to get to the Family Mart for a pack of cigarettes. We only had about forty meters of potential exposure to out of control holiday makers. While walking into the Family Mart we noticed a pickup truck had parked right in front of it and people in the truck were squirting everyone they could see walking into the Family Mart and the ATM machine just outside. We actually got through that gauntet but when we got inside the Family Mart and were standing at the cashier's counter several Thais came in and completely drenched us. That did it. I made a vow from then on. And that is during the entire week of Songkran here in Pattaya I'll be gone. It doesn't matter where as long as I do not contributed one baht to the local economy. This is my protest, not that it's going to change things here one iota. So last year I went to Krabi and divided my time between a remote beach on Phi PHi Don and at Ao Nang Beach. Didn't have one person try to get me wet. This year it's going to be somewhere else. Right now I'm thinking, Hong Kong.

Just chill out and go with the flow. What's so wrong with getting wet? It seems insane to leave the country rather than stay and have some fun. Don't you ever take a shower?

• Like 1

This guy is amazing. This time of year is traditionally the worst for tourism anyway, as it's so hot.

Secondly, many people leave Thailand during Songkran, which at best is a childishly annoying "festival" and at worst, dangerous.

Thawat is a very apt name for this guy.

Get a life. Don't you know how to have fun. Everything in life has risks. Now you're saying water is dangerous. LOL. You need help.

It's (for me) my all time FAVORITE holiday of all holidays........I love it!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised that you haven't been banned from thaivisa. Only negative posts are allowed here, and yours is way too positive. LOL. Nice to see at least one person here knows how to chill and have some fun.

• Like 1

Wonder how arabs in their white tents will look soaking wet.

I totally understand your frustration and agree that songkrans are getting more 'aggressive'. IIMHO i think it is a time of year where people just let of steam and usually people get more worked up over the thought of getting wet, than they should. Put yoru mobile in a plastic bag and just go with the flow. I remember years and years ago returning from work on the bus just as songkran was ending and the folks at the side of the street get everybody in the bus wet as the driver forgot to close the doors as he left. At the time annoyed (but slightly cooler), in retrospect it was a bloody good shot (Thais can chuck water better than Iranians can chuck granades that's for sure) And despite getting a soaking it added some spice to an otherwise dull and boring day.

Get drunk, have some fun and stay safe. Or stay in side and hide. I know what i prefer!

So the vast escalation in deaths and injuries are worth the fun are they ?

This will be my first Songkram Festival but it will be experienced in the province. I am told we will pour water into the elders hands as a sign of respect and they will give us a blessing. A water battle was never mentioned but I bet I can take the elders. LOL Just joking. Looking forward to the event at least once.